Rhythm of Heartbreak

By avidnovela

Jess is an innocent soul with one fervent desire: to bind herself to Shaun forever. She dedicates herself to... More

Prologue: Inner Turmoil
Chapter 1: Meet Jess Lynn
Chapter 2: Cracks of the Present
Chapter 3: Tension Building
Chapter 4: The Raw Betrayal
Chapter 5: The Aftermath
Chapter 6: A Glimpse of Talent
Chapter 8: The Audition
Chapter 9: The Task at Hand
Chapter 10: The Debut
Chapter 11: The Bootcamp
Chapter 12: Magnetic Interlude
Chapter 13: Music and Party
Chapter 14: Under the Spotlight
Chapter 15: The Duet
Chapter 16: The Confrontation
Chapter 17: Awkward Encounters
Chapter 18: Complicated Dynamics
Chapter 19: Harmonies and Discords
Chapter 20: The Drunken Kiss
Chapter 21: Songs and Lyrics
Chapter 22: Conversation and Chances
Chapter 23: Regrets and Heartache
Chapter 24: Good News, Bad News
Chapter 25: A Heart Divided
Chapter 26: Fleeting Moment
Chapter 27: Unspoken Desires
Chapter 28: Into the Storm
Chapter 29: Tangled Melodies
Chapter 30: The Portrait of the Fallen
Chapter 31: Shattered Illusion
Chapter 32: Shadows from the Past
Chapter 33: The Dilemma
Chapter 34: Unraveled Secrets
Chapter 35: Entanglement
Chapter 36: Shattered Reflections
Chapter 37: New Beginning, Hidden Wounds
Chapter 38: New Place, New Connections
Chapter 39: Serenade and Shadows
Chapter 40: Farewell and Finality
Chapter 41: Echoes of Redemption
Chapter 42: The Healing
Chapter 43: Mending Hearts
Chapter 44: Facing the Spotlight
Chapter 45: Rhythm of Love

Chapter 7: The Talent Scout

266 6 3
By avidnovela

The man in the midnight blue suit with a faint green shimmer approached with quiet confidence. His smirk cut through the dim light. "I'm Alexander Miller," he said smoothly, extending his hand.

Jess hesitated, then shook his hand firmly, her curiosity clear. "I'm Jess Lynn. What can I do for you, Mr. Miller?"

Alexander's smile grew, his eyes sharp with intensity. "Jess Lynn, do you want to be famous?"

Jess stared at him, her breath visible in the cold night air. The wind howled, making her shiver. Something was unsettling about his question, as if it meant more than it seemed.

Standing at the door, Jess's heart raced as she faced Alexander Miller's intense presence. Me, becoming famous? She almost laughed. The evening had left her feeling disoriented, and his piercing gaze made everything seem unreal as she tried to understand what was happening.

"I... I don't understand," she said.

Alexander moved closer, his presence both commanding and reassuring. Jess stayed where she was, her eyes locked on him, trying to figure out why he was there.

He casually slipped his hands into his pockets. "I saw your performance tonight," he said smoothly. "It wasn't what I expected, but it was truly captivating. I came into your diner just to eat, but your performance caught my attention. Your talent hit me like a powerful force—something I haven't felt in a long time. I think fate brought us together. I want to give you a chance to develop your talent further."

Jess's mouth went dry, and she pressed her hands to her eyes, trying to calm her racing heart.

"I didn't mean to overwhelm you," he said gently. "I'm just excited. It's rare to see someone react to an opportunity with such genuine surprise. Maybe I underestimated the impact."

Jess shook her head. "It's not that. It's just... I've never had anyone appreciate my singing like this before. I didn't think it was something special. I'm honored, but I'm not sure if I deserve this."

Alexander's gaze softened. "Of course you do. I wouldn't be here if I didn't think you had what it takes. I understand this might be a lot to take in, so take your time. I'm offering you a chance. If you decide it's not for you, that's okay. But if you're interested, here's my contact information." He handed her a sleek card with his phone number and the address of the MS Institute of Recording Arts. "Come by the studio next Monday if you want to explore this further."

Without waiting for an answer, he turned and walked away, leaving Jess alone with her thoughts. She stared at the card in her hand, the studio's name shining under the streetlights.

The night had taken a surprising turn. Jess gripped the card tightly, her mind racing as she walked back to the diner. She needed time to think. The possibilities were both exciting and frightening.

On Monday, Jess stood outside the studio, feeling the cold air on her cheeks. She took a deep breath and pushed open the door. Inside, the warm air hit her, a big change from the chill outside. The studio was buzzing with activity—musicians tuning their instruments, engineers adjusting equipment, and everyone focused on their tasks. Jess's heart raced with nervousness.

A friendly receptionist welcomed her. "Good morning! You must be Jess Lynn. Mr. Miller is expecting you."

"Yes, that's me," Jess said, trying to calm herself.

The receptionist showed Jess to a waiting area, where she sat down, trying to calm her nerves. She thought about how she had once decided the music industry wasn't for her, based on her past experiences. But now, something unexpected had made her rethink everything, leading her to change her mind completely.

It all started over the weekend. Jess had planned a surprise gift for Fred's birthday to show her thanks for his kindness. After her shift, she went to the mall, hoping to find the perfect present. At first, the mall's bright and grand feel cheered her up, but her mood changed fast when she saw Shaun Hays doing some promotional ads. Seeing his fake smile made her feel a surge of anger. Their encounter brought up a lot of feelings she was still trying to make sense of.

The encounter was upsetting. Jess wanted to walk away, but Shaun's rude attitude and condescending comments hurt her deeply and made her feel more embarrassed. "Do you want my autograph? I see you went through a lot just to see me," he mocked. The crowd's reactions made her feel even worse.

"I'm not here for you, Shaun," she shot back.

"Oh really? Because this is starting to look like stalking," he said.

Lost in her painful memories, Jess barely noticed the receptionist approaching. "Mr. Miller is ready to meet you now," the receptionist said, breaking through Jess's fog of regret.

She took a deep breath and followed the receptionist down the hallway. When they reached the conference room, she was surprised to see four people sitting around a large table. The serious mood made her even more anxious.

Alexander stood up and greeted her warmly. "Jess, welcome! I'm glad you came. Let me introduce you to our team." He pointed to the man at the head of the table. "This is Mr. Bennie Hacks, the president of the studio. He's the reason we're all here today."

Mr. Hacks stood and shook her hand. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Jess. Alexander has spoken very highly of you."

"Thank you, Mr. Hacks," Jess replied, shaking his hand.

Alexander then gestured to the two seated beside Mr. Hacks. "And these are our creative team members, Marlin and Sussie. They handle musical arrangements and production."

Marlin nodded with a friendly smile. "Nice to meet you, Jess. We've heard a lot about you."

Sussie added with a chuckle, "The diner girl, right? It's great to finally meet you."

Jess offered a nervous smile, feeling slightly more at ease with their warm reception. Alexander then turned to the group. "Now, my Lady and Gentlemen," he said, winking at Sussie. "This is Jess Lynn, the talented singer I told you about."

The team gave Jess encouraging nods and smiles. "You're all set," Marlin said. "Whenever you're ready."

Jess took a deep breath and closed her eyes, trying to steady her nerves. Here we go.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

35.2K 1.3K 28
"So... what about us?" he asked, and I looked at him, a bit bewildered. "What?" I inquired. "You and me... what are we, Sera? You know how you affect...
16.3K 2.2K 45
[Featured in Official Romance Reading List] [Featured in Official TeenFiction Reading List] [Featured in Official YA Reading List] [Featured in Offic...
25.3K 814 37
Megan had the perfect life-a life with a loving husband, a beautiful home, her dream job, and anything she could ever want for. That is, through the...
397 59 46
*First in the Fire Whiskey series* 'What if I was making the wrong choice again, picking the bad guy over the steady and reliable one? Because as I...