KEEPSAKE

By catalysing

i have arrows in my eyes that pierce the hearts of nonbelievers. [ finished ] More

PRELUDE
ACT I
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter ten
ACT II
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen
chapter eighteen
chapter nineteen
chapter twenty
ACT III
chapter twentyone
chapter twentytwo
chapter twentythree
chapter twentyfour
chapter twentyfive
chapter twentysix
chapter twentyseven
chapter twentyeight
chapter twentynine
chapter thirty
ACT IV
chapter thirtyone
chapter thirtytwo
chapter thirty three
chapter thirty four
chapter thirty five
chapter thirty six
chapter thirty seven
epilogue
soundtrack

chapter nine

2.1K 132 32
By catalysing

09 POUNDING LIDS

        AFTER ARTEMIS SO GRACEFULLY COLLAPSED IN ADONIS' ARMS, HE HAD A CHOICE TO MAKE :

         One, he could leave her in the cold forest, eyes heavy and heart rate dropping, blood flooding out of the slit on her stomach. Two, he could gather her up in his arms and attend to the bleeding flesh, just so she could take him to Zeus and ruin any chance to Adonis having freedom.

        So without much thought, Adonis picked Artemis up by her waist and took her far away from the naiads water until it felt safe enough to settle. It wasn't hard for Adonis to find a small clearing in the forest, he set Artemis carefully against a tree stomp. His eyes lingering on the red stained shirt she wore.

         Adonis wasn't prepared to be a stand in medic, especially not for his capture, but he found himself carefully taking off her cloak and putting it to the side. The blood was flowing steadily now, it seemed to be drying on her shirt though, and that made him nervous.

        He felt nervous to unbutton her shirt and to unveil the wound tainting her predictably flawless soft skin. But he made his choice, and he was going to save her. There was no time for questions or much thought in why he did what he did, just his hands and the wound underneath her clothes.

His hands apply pressure to her wound for a moment, drawling out the inevitable of revealing the scarred flesh beneath her cloth.

He wrings out his hands once before unbuttoning her shirt enough to see the wound. Blood is pooled on her stomach. The thin sharp cut in her skin must've hit just the right spot to lose as much blood as it did. But Adonis knew of the huntress' abilities to heal and that it was just taking an agonizingly slow rate.

Tearing off a piece of fabric from his shirt, he began cleaning the blood covering the goddess' perfect skin. Adonis curses himself not to let his gaze wander over her skin, farther up the buttons that hide her more pronounced features. But he does notice the scar on her left hip. One that was not healed, he found that strange, seeing she had the ability of doing so.

Shaking the thoughts away, he throws the wet bloody fabric strip away. His eyes clench shut, trying to find some sort of serene in this whole situation.

In his entire existence, Adonis has never been experienced with wounds or blood. Only always having to be in the background and watch, like the good boy he was. And in this moment, he can be no spectator, he is the one with the solution. Artemis' will for tomorrow is up to Adonis.

When his eyes reopen, the touch that radiates from her cold frail skin radiates throughout his body. He realizes only then just how soft she is. Artemis may be hard on the exterior, her muscles made strictly or iron and walled up to hide any emotion.

But when you get past it all, past all the scowls and wrinkles itched in her forehead, something raw and weak is hidden. Something almost capable of emotions. Deep down, that is.

Not delaying another second with humorous thoughts, he pulls a hair pin from her hair and yanks off the decorative part, then he tore the elastic string from his underwear band. Using both objects as as a makeshift stitch kit and began pulling either side of the wound together.

Artemis began to stir under his touch. Her eyes flutter open, Adonis curses under his breath. He secretly hoped he didn't have to hear another word from her pink lips until he finished.

Her eyes bulge immediately after opening. Shock overlaps her features as she takes in their surroundings.

Adonis pressed down on her shoulder when she shuffles to stand up.

"Shh." He hushes her, "Calm down, its alright." His voice a whisper among the quiet serenity in the forest.

A sigh escapes the huntress' lips. Adonis couldn't tell if it was one of relief or impatience. Her breathing is coming out in pants still from the sudden wake of pain enveloping from her stomach wound, but it is slowing down to a normal steady rate.

Even though, Adonis attempts to stay focused on his fingers that work shakily on her wound, stitching the skin together slowly, carefully, he can feel the burning of Artemis' eyes on the perspiration covering the top of his forehead. 

Artemis finds herself stricken with confusion. Adonis would've left her to die. He could've left and no longer worried of his fate living amongst the mortals. But he didn't. And just that makes her tremble with indifference. She didn't want to be the bad guy.

"You didn't leave," She acknowledged after a stretch of silence.

Adonis doesn't respond for a long time: So long that Artemis began to wonder if he heard her or if she only said those words in her head.

And then his lips parted,

"It's a small wound. I'm sure you'll be fine." he said, ignoring her.

Artemis would be left wondering if she did or didn't speak outloud those words to him. Her eyes trailed down and she felt his hands on her skin, more like his fingers. His touch is blazing hot, as she ignores the shiver rattling her bones.

"Thank you" she mumbled, it was quiet and painful but he nodded nonetheless.

"It's done." He said, his hands falling back to his sides, stuffing the broken pin into his pocket.

Artemis grunted as she attempted to sit up.

"Be careful." he warned, gently touching her arm. "just...rest for now."

"Rest?" She repeats, a crease forming between her brows.

He laughed, "Yes, rest. Have you heard of it?"

She couldn't help the grin that cracked her cheeks. "I feel terrible." She admitted. A frown had replaced the beginning of a grin then. 

He furrowed his brows up at her, silently telling her to carry on.

She sighed, her face falling into her hands. "This was all a mistake." She shook her head. A weird sound emitted from behind her hands.

He wasn't sure if it was a laugh or a sob. Both frightened him.

"Artemis?" he said, carefully taking her hands off of her face.

Wet salt had tampered her cheeks. Tears welling the crevices of her eyes. She was crying. He wished it was a laugh.

"What exactly was a mistake?" he asked, his hand still around her wrist.

Artemis was too aware of everything. Too aware of how close his face was. Too aware of his hand in hers. Too aware of the scorch his fingers left on her stomach. Too aware of the staining warmth he left on her lips.

   "Forget it." She cleared her throat and harshly tore her hand away from his grip before viciously wiping the tears. She ignored the pain as she stood up, Adonis quickly stood up himself.

"You should really rest." He informed.

"I'll rest when I'm sure of a safe ranking." She retorted sharply back, like the answer has been waiting somewhere deep in her throat to fall from her lips.

"Right." he nodded. "What? Will you be tying me up again? Like an enforcer? Like a titan?" He asked, a grimace carrying his face.

She swallowed, gritting her teeth through her clamped lips, "Do not tempt me to kill you myself, Adonis." She spat.

He winced.

"I trust you won't try anything. you will be unbound for the remaining trail." She clarified, straightening her posture and glancing at the distance that led to Zeus' palace. A grunt flourished from her lips, clutching her stomach.

And then she realized her other hand was reaching for the handle of her bow case. "My bow! My bow! My arrows! Where are they!" She screamed, panic rising in her deeply. Her eyes turned towards Adonis, eyes ablaze with darkness. "Did you break my arrows? Did you destroy me?" she asked, grabbing his collar.

He narrowed his eyes, "Did I destroy you?" he repeated, feeling scared for her. Beneath all the strength and confidence she emitted, was a girl. A girl that was lonely and sad. Just like him.

Lonely and sad.

Her eyes shot down to the cold grass ground they stood on, "I didn't...I didn't mean..." She sighed, palming her forehead. "My head hurts."

"What?" He asked.

She runs a tired hand over her face.

"Look, I didn't take your bow. Or your case. It must've been left behind by the river. I'm sorry..I wasn't thinking of your case, my mind was only on the bleeding girl who fell in my arms."

           Artemis looked up at him only then truly seen him. His eyes were as gold as her hair. A bright gleam of brown and yellow mixing with a tint of green. The irises flourishing around every dimple on Artemis' skin. His lips plump and evenly toned red. His hair dishevelled, a dark cherokee brown. Poking out in different places. His chin was scuffling with hair. It's only been two days since they been traveling and he's already growing a beard. It makes him look strong, Artemis thought.

        "Dawn is upon us, Artemis. Let's just...sleep." he suggested. It seemed so taboo. Even under his tongue. A god whom has never faced much danger. A breakout in his skin used to be his worst fear. Now it was meaningless death.

         "Sleep?" She questioned, a smile itching her lips.

            "Yeah. I know it sounds weird. But I'm tired and your stitches could break. You need to be careful."

        "So do you," She whispered under her breath.

           He heard her though. He's always heard her.

          "Come on." He gestured for her to follow him.

          She chuckled, "This is absurd. I kidnapped you and now you're leading me. I'm following you." She said, ignoring the clench of her chest.

         Her laugh felt so genuine. So happy and okay. Just content. Something Artemis had a hard time grasping to.

      He smirked, "I'm not a kid."

          "You know what I mean." She replied, shaking away the odd thoughts.

           "I do." he nodded, finally arriving to his destination.

          It was in an area with much more trees. No water, it reassured Artemis shockingly.

           She slumped down against one of the trees. Folding her arms around herself to find comfort. It was freezing, especially at dawn. The dark of the forest electrified with cold and shivers of leaves. The soft wind of the bristling tree branches brought a swarm of calm over Artemis.

          Adonis sat against the tree across Artemis. "You cold?" he asked, hearing her teeth clatter.

"No."

      "You're shaking." He observed.

         That was one flaw of Adonis. He was too curious and bold to ask questions. It was incredibly annoying to Artemis.

          "I'm no-" she began but lost her train of thought as Adonis stood up and walked towards Artemis. He slumped down beside her. "What're you doing?"

         "If we huddle, we'll be warm." He proposed, tentatively wrapping his arms around her.

         He also had a heinous 'save the damsel in distress' complex.

           She turned, so her back was against his front. She made no advance to huddle back, but when his body hit hers, she instantly felt warmth. She felt safe, too. And when her eyes grew heavy, the nightmares didn't come.

            Artemis didn't see her mother sob with emptiness. Or her brother rumble up another lie. Or Orion tell her to be happy. She just fell into an endless bliss of clouds. Letting the calm envelope her.

          She hoped it was contagious, she hoped Adonis felt the same calm.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

801 16 23
My story. Also, my name isn't really Arya Keyashira :)
13.7K 322 44
In which a greek mythology obsessed girl decides to put her knowledge to good use (?) and rewrite the myths in her own way (but still accurate to the...
777 24 27
Aila Seymour, my life and my death. Touching her gives me life but she stares at me with her eyes brimming with tears. Her look of innocence will be...
134 20 21
Many forget that the goddess of love was born from the raging sea, but she would do anything to protect her daughter. Adora was Aphrodite's last daug...