A Different Kind of Heaven [...

By Silmarilz1701

Official Wattpad Tolkien Fanfic Top ranked #1 in Silmarillion, #1 in Tolkien Top 10 in Silmarillion from 2018... More

A Different Kind of Heaven
Prologue
Chapter 1: The Summons
Chapter 2: The Meeting
Chapter 3: Seven Sons
Chapter 4: How Many Cousins
Chapter 5: The Market
Chapter 6: Constellations
Chapter 7: Plans
Chapter 8: Small Reminders
Chapter 9: Learning Curve
Chapter 10: Above the Waves
Chapter 11: Jewel Shores
Chapter 12: Many Meetings
Chapter 13: Lessons and Memories
Chapter 14: Midnight Serenade
Chapter 15: Who's Who
Chapter 16: The Road Well Travelled
Chapter 17: The Festival
Chapter 18: Horse Racing
Chapter 19: Apples to Apples
Chapter 20: An Archer's Game
Chapter 21: Gardens of Paradise
Chapter 22: Sketches
Chapter 23: Liquid Silver
Chapter 24: Awkward Conversations
Chapter 26: Food and Fellowship
Chapter 27: Hey Brother
Chapter 28: All the Emotions
Chapter 29: City of the Gods
Chapter 30: See the Light
Chapter 31: Spinner of Words
Chapter 32: The First Engagement
Epilogue
A Thank You

Chapter 25: Shut Up and Dance

1K 77 152
By Silmarilz1701

To Eve's surprise, she didn't see much of the others for nearly a week. Occasionally one of Nerdanel's older sons would stop in, but not frequently. For her part, Eve spent time painting. She had seen some artwork in the house she lived in and noticed how all took a realistic approach at painting. Eve decided to do something different. She remembered the colors of the sky at sunset over Alqualondë and wanted to capture that Monet-style.

She spent the entire week on that painting. The paints closely resembled oils, a medium she was less familiar with than, say, acrylics. But it presented a fun challenge that kept her occupied. It reminded her of Monet's Houses of Parliament. In the end, Eve felt satisfied with her piece and treated it with a sealant that Nerdanel brought her. Once it had dried, Eve covered it up. She wasn't ready to show anyone yet.

One week after they returned home, Eve sat with the family eating lunch. Fëanáro looked unhappy, but Nerdanel smiled for the both of them. She reminded Eve and the twins to not eat too much.

"The feast is in but a few hours," Nerdanel continued. "Do not make yourselves sick."

Eve smiled back at her, but the Ambarussa scowled together. Evidently they were about as thrilled at the prospect of the party as their father. After lunch, Nerdanel ordered the twins to go get ready.

"I will finish with you two once I have helped Eve," Nerdanel told them. "Go, get dressed." She turned to her husband and kissed him. "You as well."

Fëanáro smirked and returned the kiss. "For you, I will." He turned and went down a hallway to their bedroom.

Nerdanel turned back to Eve. "Shall we?"

She smiled with a nod. "We shall!"

Eve retrieved her dress from the closet and they went down the hall. Nerdanel waited outside the room while the young woman slipped into her dress. Once she'd done as much as she could on her own, she called Nerdanel in to help her.

The older woman tied the back up and clasped her hands together in excitement. "You look wonderful, my dear."

Eve blushed. "Thanks! I'm excited, even if no one else is."

Nerdanel took her hands. "My husband may not be, but I am as well. And the Ambarussa will shake their frowns off once we arrive. They merely dislike putting on their proper attire."

With a laugh, Eve nodded. "I get it."

Nerdanel left Eve to finish with her outfit. She did her hair and slipped on her shoes quickly. Eve found a silver cloak that Nerdanel had lent her and slipped it on. Soon she joined Fëanáro in the kitchen, waiting for the other three.

"I am sorry for you mother," Eve ventured quietly after several moments of awkward silence. "I know what it's like."

Fëanáro stiffened but inclined his head. "It is unfortunate what happened." He paused before continuing. "I have seldom asked you, but are my sons treating you well?"

"Yes!" Eve smiled happily. "Nelyo and Káno especially. They've been amazing."

He nodded. "Good. I am glad to hear that."

"I hope that me being here hasn't been too much trouble," Eve added quickly.

Fëanáro turned to her and shook his head. "On the contrary, my wife is happier than I've seen her in many years. For that, you have my thanks."

"Cool!" She smiled at him.

They both turned to the hallway as Nerdanel came walking, leading the twin red heads. Telvo's frown sat deeper in his features than Pityo's, but neither looked particularly happy. Eve gasped at how beautiful Nerdanel looked in her dress and the tiny smile on Fëanáro's face widened.

"Are we ready?" Nerdanel looked at all of them. Everyone nodded, so she gestured to the door. "Let us go, then!"

It didn't take too long to walk from the house of Fëanáro to the palace of Tirion. Birds sang as they walked, rejoicing in the clear skies and brilliant glow of Laurelin. Elves who saw them stopped and bowed, for they knew immediately who appeared before them.

They went immediately inside the great tower. Instead of heading to the stairs as Eve had done the last time she'd been there, they walked straight forward to a large double door entrance. It allowed them into a massive ballroom of gold and white marble, with decorations of pale blues, greens, and reds. A gigantic crystal chandelier hung from The middle of the domed ceiling and natural light from high ceiling windows lit the area pleasantly.

Sixty elves at least meandered about already. Some stood along the outside, hovering near tables of food and wine. Others stood towards the far side where Finwë spoke with them. And still more remained near the live musicians, dancing and speaking to each other. The room contained mostly Noldor, but a few Falmari and Vanyar were also scattered about. When the little group walked inside, Finwë immediately spotted them from across the ballroom and excused himself to to see his firstborn son.

Fëanáro smiled at his father, who embraced him. Of all the people in his family he loved his father most. Finwë then turned and bowed to Nerdanel before hugging her as well. The Ambarussa by this point could not contain themselves and tried to tackle their grandfather. He laughed and ruffled their heads of red hair. Then he turned to Eve.

"Lady Eve, I am glad you could come," Finwë told her with a smile and bow. "You are a welcome addition to the family."

Eve curtsied as best she could. "Thank you, sir."

"Grandfather, are our brothers here yet?" Pityo asked quickly once the formalities had ended.

"Some," he nodded. "Moryo, Curvo, and Tyelko are by the food." He pointed towards a table on the far side. As the Ambarussa hurried off to find them, Nerdanel and Fëanáro followed Finwë to the other end of the hall.

Eve stood where she was. A palace worker took her cloak away and she wandered about trying to find anyone she knew. After having very little luck, she caught sight of golden hair that she knew. Findaráto and Amarië stood talking and laughing near the musicians.

"Eve!" Amarië waved her over after catching her eye. "You look wonderful."

"Thanks, you too. Both of you!" Eve looked around and amended her statement. "Everyone looks amazing. I will never get used to this."

Findo chuckled. "Someday you will. Until then, enjoy it."

"Is anyone else here yet?" Eve glanced around but saw no one else.

Findaráto shook his head. "Nelyo, Káno, Finno, Turvo, and Elenwë have not arrived. They should be here soon."

"What have you been doing since the festival, Eve?" Amarië asked her after taking a sip of her wine glass. "Anything exciting?"

"I've been painting," she admitted. "Mostly just that."

Amarië grinned. "Truly? You must show us!"

Eve squirmed where she stood. "Sometime."

Findo gestured to the door. "There they are. Late, as ever."

Both women turned and looked at the door. As Findaráto had said, in walked the small group Eve had asked about earlier. Eve's mouth dropped at how incredible they looked. Each of the men had dressed in splendid tunics with gold or silver embellishments. Nelyo's red hair fell loosely while Finno had his in braid down his back, interlaced with golden ribbon. Elenwë, dressed in a blue gown, had her golden hair intricately prepared. Káno and Turgon didn't look even slightly out of place either. Circlets adorned every prince's head, golden for the sons of Fëanáro, silver for the sons of Nolofinwë.

"Wow." Eve breathed out.

Amarië chuckled and pushed her forward. Eve found herself herded alongside the two other elves over to where the larger group stood. On her way, Eve swiped a glass of red wine. Despite her aversion, she decided then and there that alcohol was going to be necessary. So she downed it quickly and continued forward.

"Friends!" Findo called to them as they approached. He waved.

They all turned and faced the trio. Eve nearly stopped walking when she saw Finno, reprimanding herself internally for acting like a little girl. She willed herself not to blush, but already felt the heat rising to her cheeks as Findekáno smiled.

"You all look splendid," Elenwë said quickly, embracing Eve and Amarië.

"Same to you," Eve immediately assured her. Then she glanced at the men. "All of you!"

"Thank you." Nelyo nodded to her and gestured to the party. "An interesting set up, no?"

"It's huge," Eve agreed.

"Well, I am going to find my father," Nelyo said with a smiled. "Káno, are you coming?"

The musician nodded. "Of course!"

They sped off eagerly. Findaráto and Amarië walked to find food, leaving Findekáno, Eve, Turukáno and Elenwë together. The latter two walked towards the musicians. Elenwë insisted she wanted to dance, and Turvo complied with a small frown.

This left Eve and Finno standing awkwardly together which Finno was absolutely sure had been the plan. He inwardly cursed Nelyo and his brother, but at the same time wanted to thank them. Eve had grabbed another glass of wine and sipped it slowly.

"I thought you did not like alcohol," Findekáno asked her in surprise as they stood together.

Eve flashed a tiny frown and shrugged. "It's a party. Wine is necessary."

He nodded his head and watched his brother dancing with Elenwë. He turned to Eve. "What has kept you busy this past week?"

"I did a lot of painting." She smiled at him, thinking about Alqualondë. He had been a huge support to her there and she had not forgotten. Once again, heat rose to her cheeks. "Alqualondë in the evening."

Findekáno smiled warmly. "May I see it? Some time, I mean."

"Yeah, definitely." She nodded. After a pause she continued. "What kept you guys busy? I only saw Nelyo once, and Káno twice. Bored of me?" She chuckled at the last bit.

"No!" Finno assured her quickly, afraid she was serious. "I had duties to attend to for my father, and my brother needed help with something for Elenwë."

"Good. I'd feel bad if you guys got bored of hanging around me. I'd have failed at my job of providing endless entertainment."

Findekáno rolled his eyes. "Nelyo would claim that is my job."

"We could always do it together," Eve joked. Suddenly she blushed, afraid he might be weirded out by her innocent suggestion. "I just meant..."

Turvo interrupted, hurrying over. "Findekáno, show Eve how to dance so I do not have to dance alone."

Findekáno smiled and rolled his eyes. "Do you mind?"

"No, but you better be slow when showing me. I'm not good at dancing." Eve followed Finno closer to the dancers. She watched their feet and was amazed at how well they stayed in step.

Findekáno started by demonstrating on his own. He carefully showed her each step. Once she copied him several times, and he was confident she had it down well enough, he nodded to her.

"Well done. Now you can dance." Then he felt heat rising to his cheeks because he really wanted to dance with her but by the Valar, he didn't want to make a fool of himself for his brother to see. "Do you want to dance? It is not hard, as you've seen. You can pick a partner and try it. I would be your partner, but if you want another partner, I'll go get Káno. He is the most skilled of all of us-"

"Finno." Eve chuckled. "Just shut up. We're going to dance." The multiple glasses of wine had loosened her tongue and she laughed again.

But Findekáno grinned and nodded. "Very well. You have chosen a poor partner. I am not very good."

Eve stuck out her tongue. "Well then I won't be either, considering you just taught me the moves!"

Findekáno held out his hand and she took it. Immediately she blushed so fiercely she was sure Nelyo would see from the other end of the ballroom. They walked to the outside of the dancers, taking up a spot by Turvo and Elenwë. But coincidentally, both decided to stop dancing as soon as Eve and Findekáno joined them.

"You two dance," Elenwë said, shaking her head.

Turvo sent a knowing smile at his older brother. He and his beloved went over to a nearby table with food and stood watching them.

"It worked," Elenwë grinned wide as she watched Eve and Findekáno dancing together. "I can hardly believe it."

"He needed the push." Turvo nodded to the two dancers. "But he got there."

"She needed the push as well," Elenwë added. "Do not tell me you missed the three glasses of wine she consumed rather quickly."

Turvo laughed merrily. "Truly? Three?"

They watched again, joined quietly by Nelyo and Káno. Both of Fëanáro's sons watched with arms folded across their chests and smirks on their faces.

"Took him long enough." Nelyo nodded in approval. He continued watching them.

Eve's smile only grew as they danced. Findekáno, for all his claiming to not be a good dancer, was certainly better than she. And yet he also knew how to make sure she stepped in time. As the song ended, her face had a permanent grin plastered on it.

"Wow," she breathed heavily.

Findekáno looked at her. "You are beautiful." He blushed and stammered an apology.

She paused and laughed, nearly crying because she didn't know these feelings she was experiencing. Findekáno blushed but she shook her head. "Thank you, but trust me, you're gorgeous. Way more than me."

It was his turn to laugh. "Why thank you."

Together they walked back over to the little group. The elves who had been watching quickly scattered, pretending not to have been interested. But both Eve and Findekáno knew what had happened, and neither was upset.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.6K 609 26
'Elthríel listened with rapt attention as Finrod, laying on his back and staring at the clear sky above him, spoke about the beauty of the Trees of V...
123K 4.6K 23
*Complete* A Lord of the Rings FanFiction A Daughters of Middle Earth Story Formerly Titled "Some Things are Meant to Endure" The only daughter o...
4.5K 228 45
"Mana ve hilyana i eleni?" He asked. What is it like to follow the stars? Born on the shores of Cuiviénen, Calindë, the eldest daughter of Lord Ingw...
748 42 10
Once the darkness rises once more, a girl from the stars is bound to fall. Upon her arrival the One will be revealed and the light will slowly start...