For Milady

By harrypanther

AU Set during RTTE Season 5. Hiccup and Astrid are now boyfriend/girlfriend but not betrothed yet...and sudde... More

ONE: No Regrets
TWO: Staying on the Edge
THREE: Surprises
FOUR: Betrothed
FIVE: Cast Off
SIX: Arrival
SEVEN: Mixed Reactions
EIGHT: The Invisible Rival
NINE: Friends and Allies
TEN: Changing of the Guard
TWELVE: Losing no matter what
THIRTEEN: Think Three Times
FOURTEEN: Through the fires
FIFTEEN: Someone to rely on
SIXTEEN: Saved
SEVENTEEN: Consequences
EIGHTEEN: Reactions
NINETEEN: Old Friends
TWENTY: New Purpose
TWENTY ONE: Choices
TWENTY TWO: The Greater Good
TWENTY THREE: On Dragon Wings
TWENTY FOUR: Gone
TWENTY FIVE: The Chief's Guest
TWENTY SIX: Betrayal
TWENTY SEVEN: Leverage
TWENTY EIGHT: The Wedding of Astrid Hofferson
TWENTY NINE: Despair
THIRTY: Time
THIRTY ONE: Reunions
THIRTY-TWO: Heading Home
THIRTY THREE: Repercussions
THIRTY FOUR: Riders of the Edge
THIRTY FIVE: Homecoming
THIRTY SIX: Enemy, my enemy
THIRTY-SEVEN: Accomplice
THIRTY-EIGHT: Ending and Beginning
THIRTY-NINE: Family
FORTY: The Empty Chair
FORTY-ONE: The Return of the Heir
FORTY-TWO: Hope
FORTY THREE: New Understandings
FORTY FOUR: Return to Vanaheim
FORTY FIVE: Losses
FORTY-SIX: Wrecked
FORTY SEVEN: The Fifth Lens
FORTY EIGHT: The Hunt
FORTY-NINE: King and Princess
FIFTY: The Last Hurdle

ELEVEN: New Perspective

1.7K 63 55
By harrypanther

ELEVEN: New Perspective

Stoick stared to the south and cursed. His son was late. He had given Hiccup two days to fly to the Defenders of the Wing to see off the retiring 'Great Protector' dragon and then return...and he was late.

In truth, he understood why Hiccup had to go. The other Tribe were his allies, people who had fought at his side against the Hunters and for them to call him at short notice for the Ceremony was akin to an allied Tribe calling him for the funeral of a Chief or General. He sighed. Somehow, his son had grown up and become a Chief of his own-and though his tribe was the small group of Riders and their dragons, Hiccup was still their Chief, their leader. And he had meant what he had said: they were allies, fellow Chiefs, not just father and son.

But when he had learned that his son had been taken by Bounty Hunters, that he was being passed from man to man in search of the gold for handing him over to Viggo, he had been shocked to the core. He had been angry at Hiccup for losing Berk's gold in his plan to bring down Viggo and for the first time, he had seen his son fail, outsmarted by the cunning and ruthless younger Grimborn brother...the same man who had become so desperate he had sent the Bounty Hunters to capture Hiccup so he could kill him. To be honest, he had never considered that his son would take his words so much to heart that he would conceal his troubles-but that made the words no less true. And though he had forgiven Hiccup and supported the young man when they finally overcame and defeated the Grimborns, he knew Hiccup was still feeling guilt about the privations he had caused his people. The recovery of the gold hadn't dented his guilt.

Stoick rolled his powerful shoulders and felt the cold wind brush over his bare arms. His son was headstrong and brave, not hesitating to put himself in danger to protect his people or rush into peril to head off a problem. Hiccup certainly understood the needs of the many outweighing the needs of the few...and he always seemed to be the few. Stoick had lost track of the times his son had fallen, been hurt or put himself in harm's way for what he believed was right and as a father, it hurt him every time he saw his boy wounded or struggling.

And that was why he felt so conflicted: because this time, he had placed his son in an impossible position-and he was the one who had wounded Hiccup by doing what thousands of Viking fathers had done in the past. Of course, he was annoyed that Hiccup had been so stupid to sleep with his girlfriend though he wasn't the first young man to act on his urges. Many of the Tribe were not pure when they took their wedding vows and though Hiccup was aware of his father's expectations, sometimes, Stoick had sympathy with his devotion to the girl who had been his love, his second-in-command and best friend.

And Stoick hadn't meant to conceal the contract from his son: in truth, he had forgotten until he received the letter from Bertha...and then there had never been the time to talk with Hiccup. And though he knew his son and Astrid were close friends, the Chief hadn't seen any especial partiality by the girl and had hoped he would have a chance to explain to his son. Seeing how devastated Hiccup was, Stoick had even broached ending the contract with Bertha when she arrived-but unsurprisingly, the Bog Burglar Chief had been adamant that the marriage go ahead. As Hiccup had so directly pointed out, the advantage was all on Bertha's side...and when he had been a father, just seeking protection and reassurance that his small, clumsy, un-Vikinglike son would be safe, that hadn't mattered. But now...he had signed away the life of the Dragon Master, the man who conquered the Red Death, brought an end to the war with dragons, defeated the Outcasts and Berserkers and now the Dragon Hunters, for negligible gain for Berk. The Bog Burglars were their allies anyway and they gained little in terms of defence or trade: Hiccup had every right to feel betrayed.

But a Chief did what was best for his Tribe and Stoick's reputation across the Archipelago also protected the tribe. He was respected as dependable, honourable and honest so that others came to him for mediation and valued his opinion. And Tribes were allied with the Hooligans because Stoick was the Chief. So that was his dilemma: maintain his reputation and keep to the contract or act in the best interests of his son and release Hiccup to be with Astrid, breaking the contract and his honour.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Ultimately, Stoick needed to remain respected and recognised as honourable and dependable. The contract had to stand-for the Council could find no legal means of breaking it honourably without the agreement of the Bogs—no matter the pain it caused his son. And Hiccup-who had learned the lessons of his childhood too well, who was consumed by duty and an unwavering desire to make his father proud-was clever and adaptable. Stoick shook himself: look how well he had adjusted to losing his leg! Yes, Stoick was certain that his son would manage to cope with losing Astrid and being married to Camicazi. His son was recognised as generous and kind, a decent and thoughtful young man who would make the girl feel welcome, no matter his own wishes.

Then Stoick narrowed his eyes and a smile crinkled his face, the huge beard shifting as he grinned. On the horizon, the shapes of dragons were flapping in formation, slowly closing on Berk and gilded by the setting sun. They looked tired but maintained their positions as they flew closer and finally swooped down to land by the powerful shape of the Chief. Then Stoick frowned: they appeared to be smeared with some dried pinkish mush-both Riders and Dragons- and as they wearily dismounted, the twins collapsed to their knees and Camicazi stumbled, in obvious pain. The Chief frowned.

"Are you okay, lass?" he asked warmly as she gave him a jaundiced look.

"You could have warned me that flying for so many hours would make me seize up like a wizened old crone!" she protested as he began to chuckle.

"I'm sorry," he said, trying not to appear he was laughing at her. "Been a long time since any of us had to even think about that issue..." She stared at him in shock and then realised that he rode a dragon frequently as well, though it was seemingly never mentioned-at least to outsiders. She leaned forward and pressed her hands to her knees, breathing hard.

"I may be able to move in a week or so," she grumbled as the Chief chuckled softly.

"Well, the Betrothal Ceremony is set for noon tomorrow so you should go get a hot bath to soothe your aching muscles," he suggested. "I'm sure Hiccup will..."

"Not be anywhere near her while bathing," the auburn-haired Viking replied coldly, cutting across his father's amused voice. Stoick stopped laughing and stared at his son, meeting glittering emerald eyes and a face unfamiliar with anger. "Not now and not ever." All the Chief's amusement fled and he rubbed the bridge of his nose in exasperation at his son's words. Surely they had been over this by now!

"Son, you..." he began.

"Dad-this is a marriage between Heirs so I don't risk anything," he interrupted. "Get one of the women to take her to the hot springs-as you should. The Riders and I need to get cleaned up. Oh and thanks for the welcome home, by the way. Nice the only person you've spoken to is the outsider you forced us to take." Stoick scowled.

"I was about to speak to you..."

"But you didn't," Hiccup said flatly. "Just as you didn't tell me you had betrothed me to her. Anything else you were 'about to' do but have never bothered to? Maybe tell me you are actually proud of me? That you trust me? Oh, wait-you've shown you certainly don't trust me and I doubt you're proud of me." The Chief walked forward and his big hands closed on the younger's man's tense shoulders.

"Tell me what happened, son," he said more gently and for a moment, Hiccup glared-before the anger faded from his clear green gaze, to be replaced by exhaustion and sorrow.

"We followed the twins who had tailed the Great Protector to Vanaheim, the last resting place of all dragons," he admitted. "We ended up trapped because no one ever leaves there. There are stone dragons, Sentinels that force anyone trying to get away to land. We found out they were blind and when we covered ourselves with this fruit, they couldn't sense us to we escaped...with the help from the Great Protector. It saved us." Stoick stared at him.

"And...Astrid had been on the Defenders' Island," he revealed. "But I had no chance to go after her...and I know I could have caught her because she was close...but I had to go after the twins. Now I've lost her all over again."

"Hey, how were we supposed to know you were telling us not to follow the dragon?" Ruff protested.

"Because explicitly I told you not to!" Hiccup growled. "And I am never going to forgive you for costing me the chance to catch up with Astrid."

"Hey, we needed that information for our Travel guide..." Tuff added as Hiccup turned to face him.

"Shut up, Tuff," he said coldly. "No one cares. And next time you run off on something this stupid...I'm not coming for you."

"Finally, some sense..." Cami commented and Hiccup rounded on her as well.

"Shut up!" he snapped. "Why did you come, Cami? You're not one of us and if you imagined tagging along and crashing our group would just make everything okay-you're deluded. Astrid is my second-in-command and best friend and you can never replace her. One of the others can find you a dragon but I will not. If you were the friend you claim to be, you would end this farce now. But like everyone else, you want to use me for your own ends and to Helheim with what I want!" He leapt on Toothless. "Let's go, bud."

"Hey-where are you off to?" Stoick snapped and he looked up, his eyes filled with betrayal.

"To clean up and spend some time with my remaining best friend," he said shortly. "Yes, I know about tomorrow. I will be there-because you have made sure I will do my duty-no matter what it costs, no matter how little it gains for Berk, no matter how much it ruins my life-because I am the son of 'Stoick the Vast'." His voice had turned into a sarcastic mimic of the Chief's broad accent. Then he slumped, defeated. "So let me go now and enjoy one last evening of happiness with my dragon."

Then they shot up into the sky, the whine of wings slicing the cooling air loud in the sudden silence. Bertha stared at him and then at the Chief.

"It makes no difference," she said firmly. "The contract stands." But Dagur was looking thoughtful, his scarred face shadowed.

"Don't be too sure," he advised her. "My little brother can only be pushed so far. And in the end, he always does what is right." Stoick stared at him without much sympathy.

"And this is right," he said. Dagur waved a finger reprovingly.

"You're the only person who thinks that," he pointed out. "To Hiccup, his friends, his dragon and most of the village-this is wrong. How long before he decides to do what he feels is right, Stoick? How long before he follows his heart?"

"He has to honour the contract," Bertha growled but the Berserker walked to his sister and offered her a smile before he cast the female Chief an amused glance.

"You signed the contract with Stoick-maybe you should marry him," he suggested. "No matter how dutiful Hiccup is, how much guilt he feels from what befell Berk as a result of his conflict with the Hunters so that he feels he has to go through with this joke, I'd bet Sleuther that Hiccup never becomes your son-in-law."

oOo

Toothless soared over the island heading north of the village and to the more distant hot springs that were rarely used by the villagers since they were a very long walk by foot-though only a few minutes' flight by Night Fury. Hiccup's mind was in turmoil, battered by the events of the last few days...amid the dragon issues of the departing Eruptodon and their impromptu visit and captivity on Vanaheim, there had been the devastating revelation that he had missed Astrid by only a short time-and that he had been denied the chance to follow her by the irresponsibility of the twins. The small Dragon Hunter attack on the way back had been so mundane that it had barely registered amid his turmoil.

Camicazi's presence really hadn't helped either, for she had seemed determined to rub the other Riders up the wrong way. Her over-familiarity and habit of making suggestions which were completely inapplicable because they contradicted all the dragon knowledge and riding skill that the Riders had painstakingly accrued over the years and which she knew nothing about exasperated everyone. Worse, she refused to accept she was out of her depth and the Riders, sore that she had been foisted on them and blaming Hiccup, had blanked her. And feeling bad-because she had been his friend years earlier when they were both small and disregarded Heirs at the Chief Meetings-he had tried to make her feel less ostracised and had behaved with some sympathy. She was out of her depth and he was responsible for her-even though it had not been his choice to bring her. So he had looked after her, making sure she was fed and warm while explaining why her suggestions were useless, counter-productive or downright dangerous, leading to the others making very obvious comments about being a 'traitor' and a liar in his hearing.

Cami had responded by playing up, playing the simpering female which he knew was just an act but which wound the others up even more. The night there had been miserable, trapped with Cami trying to snuggle close to him with the others ignoring him and he found himself aching for Astrid's presence, her solid dependability, quick wits and ability to control the others. And most of all, her arms around him, not even a kiss but just a hug in her strong arms, reminding him that he wasn't that skinny, useless boy that the other children had ignored and jeered at for years...because for all if Midgard, it felt horribly that he was that person once more.

He was feeling sick and ashamed as well, for he had lost his temper with his father, something he could not recall doing before. Stoick was a stern father, a man who did care for his son-but wasn't great at showing it and, he suspected, was feeling a little guilty for the contract he had landed Hiccup with. But the way Cami had behaved-winding up his friends-and the way his friends had behaved-in seeming to blame Hiccup for the whole thing when he was the person most harmed by this instead of helping him-had just snapped his patience. And he had to acknowledge that part of his anger was frustration and despair at missing Astrid and being denied the chance to follow her. He would have abandoned Cami in an instant to go after Astrid-which made him feel ashamed-and felt betrayed that the twins disobedience had cost him that. And he was horribly conflicted because he always tried to be decent and kind, yet he would have abandoned a young woman who was in his care, disobeyed his father and gone off on his own to look for the girl he loved...and for what? He was still bound to Cami and seeing Astrid would only compound their pain. What could he offer her except hollow apologies and the chance to be his mistress and an object of scorn?

He barely noticed when the Night Fury landed in the rocky bowl, the steam curling in the cool air and azure blue waters flat and calm. Sighing, he unclipped his metal leg and slowly clambered from the saddle, shucking off his woven leather tunic and stripping his fruit-stained shirt before turning to the Night Fury.

"Sorry, bud-I think I've messed everything up," he sighed as the dragon cooed a reassurance at him. He could sense his rider was unhappy and frustrated and the dragon had brought him to one of their favourite places. But he was very keen to get rid of the pink fruit mush and was relieved when Hiccup carefully unstrapped the saddle and tail assembly, laying his saddlebags aside and fetching out a couple of rags. "And we'll clean you as well. This stuff smells weird once it's dry." He scratched under the dragon's chin and Toothless closed his eyes in enjoyment, rumbling in gratitude. Smiling at his dragon's happiness, Hiccup kicked off his boot, stripped off his leggings and wrap and finally removed his prosthetic. Quietly, he stared into the milky blue waters of the springs and then plunged in.

The warmth seeped through him and he broke surface, tossing his sodden hair off his face and swimming strongly back to the edge as Toothless, slid in, undulating across the wide pool and then turning back, the waves splashing Hiccup.

"Toothless!" he laughed as more water hit his face. "Bud! You're not a fish! And you're too big to play in the pool." Toothless surfaced by Hiccup, blowing bubbles and he splashed at the dragon playfully, causing the Night Fury to splash back into the warm water and soak him again. Laughter shaking through him, for a few minutes, he busied himself with playing with his best friend, scrubbing the fruit pulp off with his hands and sluicing the stuff from his own face and body. He undulated to the side of the pool and sat at the side, grabbing a soap and washing his hair, then dampening a rag and carefully cleaning his leather tunic and boot, before washing his tunic and leggings and placing them on the warm rocks to dry. Then he sank back into the water.

"I shouldn't have shouted at Dad," he sighed. "I shouldn't have been sarcastic to everyone. I shouldn't have wanted to abandon the twins and Camicazi. That's not who I am. A Chief protects his own." And then he closed his eyes. "The trouble is, bud, that Astrid is very much my own. And I haven't protected her: I have let her be punished for something we both did, something we knew nothing about. I broke my promise to her." He closed his eyes. "And a Chief is supposed to protect his own. Does that mean I have to put Berk ahead of everything else? Ahead of you, of Astrid, of the Riders?" He pressed his hands to his face.

Toothless gave a small warble and nudged him gently, his eyes big and worried. He couldn't understand why Hiccup's mate and his friend the Nadder had left, why they hadn't gone after them when they visited the Volcanic island when their scent was still fresh and strong and why his Rider was so desolate. Wearily, Hiccup opened his eyes.

"I know you miss Stormfly, bud," he sighed. "But what can I do? I mean, Astrid has always been there. When I was disowned, when I was outcast, when you were taken and Dad was heading to disaster. Astrid was there. And she's been there ever since, my best friend..." There was an offended growl and Toothless slapped him across the face with his remaining tail fin. "Ow! Best human friend, okay, just once you could let it pass..." Toothless nuzzled him again. "I know...what would I do without you?"

"Probably talk to yourself," Fishlegs said, emerging from the gloom. The husky rider smiled as he approached. "Mind if I join you?" Warily, Hiccup nodded. He usually bathed alone in this isolated spring because he was horribly self-conscious of his lean shape, still stung by being called a 'runt' and a 'fishbone' when he was younger-and though he was still lean, he was wiry with muscles hard from his exertions as a smith and a rider. Fishlegs was acknowledged as a proper Hooligan shape, very husky and broad, his blue-green eyes and short blond hair the Viking ideal. Unselfconsciously, Fishegs stripped, popped his helmet on the rock and jumped in, followed by Meatlug.

Choking and soaked from the huge double splash, Hiccup wiped the water from his eyes as Fishlegs resurfaced and grinned as he swam up beside his friend.

"Thanks, Fish-my clothes really needed another rinse!" the soaked auburn-haired Rider commented.

"Oops," the husky rider said with a smile, running his hands through his hair and sluicing the fruit pulp out. "I knew I'd find you here." Instantly, Hiccup stiffened, anxiety hitting him like a blow.

"Oh?" His hand trailed to rest on Toothless and the dragon gave a small bark. Meatlug gave a little grunt and Fishlegs sighed.

"You know I am your friend, Hiccup," the husky Rider said thoughtfully, his round face troubled. "And though we haven't always been as nice to you as we should have, we know you always do your best for us and our dragons. I mean, I wouldn't have my Meatlug if not for you. What I'm trying to say is...I'm sorry we treated you like that on Vanaheim." Hiccup's eyes flicked up and he shrugged.

"It's okay," he said. "I mean, it's not as if I wanted Cami there-but as she was, I couldn't let her be ignored completely so it was the only thing I could do. And you guys really didn't help." Fishlegs looked embarrassed.

"Um...I think the twins enjoyed calling you names...and Heather is very close to Astrid so she was very angry you were treating Astrid's replacement like one of the gang..." Hiccup gave a grim smile.

"Is that what you think?" he asked his friend and Fishlegs absently continued to wash in the warm, chemical-smelling milky blue water. "Astrid's replacement? Nothing can ever replace Astrid! It's like losing my right hand. But...what can I do? My Chief has ordered me to go through with this for the good of the Tribe and I have spent my whole life trying to make him proud of me...frequently at the risk of my life and my friends' lives..." Fishlegs glanced at Meatlug and the Gronckle gave a sad coo.

"You know, you are a great leader," he said thoughtfully. "You're kind and brave, you come up with insane plans, you spend time with all of us-even the twins!-to make sure everyone feels part of the group and you never fail to help any one of us. And we don't help you as much as we should. We prank you and disobey you, we cause you problems and ruin plans. We put you and ourselves in danger. But we would all fly off the edge of the world to save you, if we thought it would help."

"Well, the twins and Snotlout would think that was a good idea," Hiccup muttered and Toothless cooed gently, nudging him. "But thanks..."

"I think we all agree you're going to be a great Chief, someone we can rely on to protect us and make sure our families are safe," Fishlegs continued, his tone unfamiliarly serious. Hiccup felt his heart sink.

He wants me to go through with it-no matter that he was with the others in calling me a traitor, he wants me to marry her and protect the Tribe...

"But after visiting Mala and then going to Vanaheim, I have looked at things from a new perspective as well-and no matter how I look at it, it doesn't seem right. And I know as well, a good Chief has his General and most trusted second-in-command," the husky rider said, smiling. "Like Mala and Throk...but kind of the other way round. And I-we-doubt that Camicazi will support you like that-or care for the Hooligan Tribe in the same way that she would her own. And you have created the Riders and the A Team to protect the island as well."

"Astrid made the A Team," Hiccup reminded him quietly, running his hand through his wet hair.

"I trust you to look after my family as Chief-but you have done so much to make the island safe whatever," Fishlegs repeated, his voice stern. "But you are my friend, Hiccup. And though I want my home to be safe, I can protect it with the other Riders. You are unhappy, Hiccup. You and Astrid are both our friends-and we want you to be happy." He paused. "Meatlug was so excited to be the Gronckle of Honour at your wedding. And I...wanted my friends to be happy together as we always hoped. So...do what you feel is best. Not for your father or anyone else but for you." Eyes widening and unnerved, Hiccup stared at him.

"Fish?" he murmured as Toothless gave a quizzical warble. Fishlegs rested a gentle hand on his friend's damp, freckled shoulder. He wasn't the most forceful person though his brief spell as 'Thor Bonecrusher' had improved his quiet self-confidence...but Hiccup was his best friend. And sometimes, being a best friend involved advice. Though this was the first time he had tried giving any to the one-legged Viking. He smiled.

"Hiccup-you do everything for us. You risk your life to protect us all. You are our friend. None of us think that it is fair what has happened. So we will support you whatever you decide." His grip tightened reassuringly. "But make the right choice."

"If I refuse, I will lose my Dad and my Tribe," Hiccup said wearily. "Everything I spent my entire life trying to achieve. To make Dad proud and prove I am worthy. I know Dad will disown me if I let him down. And I-I'm not sure I can lose everything again..." Fishlegs gave a small smile to his friend as Toothless warbled gently and rubbed against his Rider.

"Whatever you choose to do, we'll support you," he said. "But make the right decision for you, my friend." Hiccup sighed.

Whatever that is...

A/N: When imagining the hot springs, I envisaged the Blue Lagoon in Iceland (but smaller and surrounded by trees...). And...decision time next chapter...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

73.2K 642 9
After asking Astrid for a sleepover, the young couple sleeps together in the same bed for the first time. It quickly becomes a habit for Astrid and H...
11.3K 201 16
Astrid Hofferson is no ordinary girl. When both of your parents are famous celebrities how could she be? And while she could tell you the difference...
15.5K 612 12
Modern AU. Taking his girlfriend Astrid on a last minute sunshine break seemed like the perfect idea for Hiccup-but everything doesn't go to plan as...
168K 5.2K 34
Modern AU. Returning to Berk to visit her family, internationally-renowned soccer star Astrid Hofferson literally runs into old school friend Hiccup...