The Rose Torn

By AnnetteMNichols

Rosemary's life had been simple since she moved to Rose Valley six years ago. But when she meets Abernathy's... More

Dedication
The News Article

Chapter one

6 0 0
By AnnetteMNichols

Not since six years ago, Rosemary had woken with certain knowledge, she'd remember the day for as long as she lived.

It happened only once -- years ago, when she had woken up, her belly knotted in the tight and the wetness slicked down her thighs. Unsure and scared, she had ran downstairs, unaware of the red stain adorning her pajamas. Both, Catherine and Beatrice had been already sitting at the table and eating their breakfast; her mother, already dressed in her work clothes, had her back turned.

"Rosie, dear," she spoke in the stern voice. "Don't oversleep at Saturday. We're moving to Rose Valley."

"Moving? Mum--"

It was Beatrice who started to laugh, and Catherine, being the reasonable one, spoke in her nasal voice. "Rosie, had you got your period?"

Rosemary blinked, banishing the memory away, had wrapped her beige knitted cardigan around body, the denim dungarees and white shirt underneath it like her second body. She collected her unruly locks into the messy bun and ran down the stairs tightening the the apron -- 'Welcome to Meade's Pastries & Coffee' gleamed in bright pink words.

While the blood flew from her in stream and her belly knotted in cramps, she had no other choice but to take over Lilly's shift today. Her friend, and boss, had her first appointment with the doctor. She had been four weeks along already.

Don't get it wrong, she had been excited for her friend, yet she wasn't thrilled about the morning rush, which was Lilly's specialty.

She let out exasperated sigh.

Although Lilly had been more than ten years her senior, they had become fast friends when she pleaded for a shelter, after running from her prom. It was miracle to her that Meade's Pastries & Coffee had been opened at such late hour, but nevertheless, she rushed in and lost her date on her tail.

Heading toward the radio, Rosemary put her favorite station on, the soft tones of rock ballads coming out. The smile tugged on her lips.

Despite her aching stomach, it was perfect morning.

She looked around -- the warm colors adorned the walls and big wooden windows would let in enough sun rays. The scent of freshly brewed coffee had spread among the shop. Rosemary took glance at the counter -- young girl stood there, her blonde hair pulled into two high buns, the ends of it dyed in rainbow colors. She had chewed on her gum as she prepared the coffee for their first patron. An older man, Greg -- or was it George, she hadn't been sure, had patted his bulging stomach joyously, his fat cheeks red after he placed the fresh portion of crispy apple cinnamon scones.

Her mouth watered. They had been her favorite.

When she lit the candles, Rosemary retreated behind the counter and poured the cup of strong black coffee for their eccentric baker, who'd take it when he brings the next portion of the sweets.

"Izzy," she called after the girl. "Would you start a pot of sweet tea?"

And although Rosemary wasn't overly fond of sweet beverages--the sweet tea had always helped her with the cramps. The young woman nodded fervently. Rosemary shook her head, she was assured that she liked her afternoon shifts better. Jenny, the young mother with whom she worked, hadn't been that much cheerful and gossip monger like Izzy.

By ten o'clock Rosemary had feeling she had known every gossip in Rose Valley.

She looked through the windows -- it had been first November week and whole town had been wrapped up in the fog curtain for the morning. It seemed to diminish the morning rush a little bit. Rosemary had brought the cups back to the station, Izzy tapping on her phone.

"You can take a break," she said dryly; deep inside cursing on whoever decided it was funny to experience torturous pain every month. The woman stared at her and before she could say a word, Rosemary ushered her into the backroom.

It was hard not to scrunch her brows at girl, and she was glad she had took the break. She felt the relief when the woman wasn't in the same room.

Rosemary was placing an order for Mrs Hastings when the front door chimed, announcing the another customer. She lifted her hazel eyes, the well practiced smile on her lips.

It was him, she recognized the man.

The guy had almost hit the head entering and she fought the laugh, but she knew it was the man with whom Lilly argued. She would stumble on them few times after coming from the dance studio. He wore the same gray moleskin double breasted coat, wrapping his broad shoulder. The tips of his raven black locks grazed the rim of his collar; while two warm brown orbs looked down his aquiline nose and smile gracing his angular features.

Rosemary returned her attention at woman's order and handed her it over. "Have a nice day, Mrs Hastings," she chirped in sweet voice and waved her a goodbye.

"What can I get you," she then asked the man, in strained but sweet voice.

The guy stared at her, and she dreaded the moment when he would start shouting. But to her relief, the man just seemed to be surprised by her calm and sweet demeanor.

The corners of his raspberry full lips tugged up.

"I would have a double espresso, with no sugar and no cream," the vowels rumbled in the back of his throat. "And few of those apple cinnamon scones," he pointed his long finger at the sweets.

Rosemary swallowed hard the lump which formed in her throat. There was no rage in his voice or eyes, not like when Lilly would yell at him. It hit her, she had heard his voice for the first time today. It would be Lilly always yelling at him while he fumed, but never sound escaping his pursed lips.

She chewed on the inside of her mouth, both staring at each other for a moment. Rosemary would check front doors few times before she spoke, "Would you have it here, or take it with you?"

As he wasn't answering her immediately, she thought he'd have it there. "Okay, you can take the table and I would bring it to you."

The low chuckle escaped him. "As much I would like to have it there," he started, and smile faltered from Rosemary's lips. "I don't want get you in the trouble with your boss. I would rather take it with me."

Rosemary nodded.

She could understand why he wouldn't like to stay. She would neither want be yelled at while she was taking her coffee; she wished to know reason behind Lilly's hatred toward the guy. To her, he seemed nice and for a brief second she felt a shame envisioning him as rude and uncivil person. The rose painted tips of her ears and she reached for the coffee machine, starting it. Then she picked up the brand new scones which Greg brought few moments ago.

She wrapped up his order in the mint green paper bag brandished with their logo and reached out for the coffee cups in the same green shade, all the while humming alongside the Frankie Goes to Hollywood 'The Power of Love' song playing at the radio.

"Would like to hear you sing it," he said and her head jolted up as she stopped her humming. His cheeks turned red. "I mean -- the humming, it was soothing, and I don't like that song at all, but I enjoyed it."

Rosemary licked her dry lips, pouring the coffee and placed a lid on the cup. "I don't usually sing at the shop," she added.

"Should start," he smiled and reached out for the wallet.

Rosemary was entering his order into the cashier when Lilly's shrilling voice filled the shop. "What's he doing her?!"

Her face burned bright red, and her ebony black curls flew behind her as she stomped toward the counter, Will trying to get hold of her. "I had been clear, I don't want you here," she seethed, glaring at the guy.

The patrons turned their heads toward them and Will had finally caught upon his fiance, pulling the distressed Lilly to his chests. Rosemary watched the exchange, her eyes glued at the guy. She expected him to burst in the anger, he downcast his gaze and his nostrils flared, but restrained his own anger. He gripped edge of the counter, knuckles turning white.

He lifted his brown eyes and stared behind Lilly, mouthing silent 'please'.

Will stared back at the guy, whispering something to Lilly's ear before he spoke to the man. "Thomas, why you need come provoking us?"

The bile rose in Rosemary's mouth and she gulped it down. The guy's face fell down. And while she wanted to say something, she had not known what was between them. She could not take his side.

"She had asked you it thousand time," Will continued. "Brother, why can't you follow a simple request?"

Brother? Rosemary stared at the two men. There were few similarities between them -- black hair, brown eyes and similar height. But where the guy had angular features, Will's face was square and his nose crooked. Whereas the guy had full lips, Will's had been thin and pursed into the thin line.

But what had taken her aback, was the detest in Will's soft eyes and rancor in his voice. To her, Will was composed and calm person, rarely bursting out in the anger.

"Get out!" Lilly hissed through gritted teeth.

The guy took out the bills from his wallet and dropped them on the counter. He gripped his order from Rosemary's hand while he gazed at Lilly for a moment.

"Thomas, please!" Will growled under his breath.

"Fine," the guy groaned. "I wanted to congratulate you," the pain strained on his face. "Would I not be allowed to meet my niece or nephew?"

Rosemary held her breath. She could see Lilly knitting her brows and Will's grasp tightening on her friend.

"You should think about it years ago," Will said calmly. "Now, please, brother, go!"

The guy lowered his gaze, shoulder dropping. He took his order and headed outside, not waiting for the exchange.

"I don't wish you see here again," Lilly yelled after him.

Rosemary looked around the shop -- the patrons had returned their attention to the beverages in front of them long ago, neither of them coming to guy's defend. It seemed they weren't even slightly abashed by Lilly's outburst when they noticed who the man was.

Poor soul -- it seemed town shared mutual detest toward the guy like friend. She wanted to know what was the deal.

"Hadn't I been clear when I said I don't want that man here," Lilly seethed as Izzy come out from the backroom.

But the words blurred to Rosemary while she counted the bills, twenty dollars. He hadn't even waited for the exchanged and ten dollar is a big tip. She looked through the windows, his tall form retreating toward the square and without further thinking, she rushed from the cashier and ran outside, not paying an attention at her fuming friend.

She had been gasping for a breath when she finally caught on him. "Please wait!" she yelled, her voice raspy from the cold air entering her lungs. "Thomas, please!"

It got his attention and the guy stopped abruptly. He turned on his heels, brow risen as he blinked at her. Rosemary took deep breath before she spoke further.

"You forgot your exchange," she said.

The guy stared at her, clutching tightly on the paper bag. "You can keep it."

"What?" Rosemary burst out. "It's too much. Your order was just six dollars."

He forced a smile. "No, keep it. You'd served me, though others had been warned not to. You deserve it."

Rosemary huffed, extending her hand. "No! I can't take it. She had bite off your head. And while I don't know why, you should be treated like any other customer."

The man eyed her for a moment, their gazes locked a second to long before he reached for the money, taking the ten dollar bill. "The rest -- please keep it. You made my day despite what happened."

Rosemary's cheeks turned red, and against her will she put the rest into her pocket. It was futile to force him take it back as he was hell bent on making her accept his tip. "By the way, I'm Rose," she extended her hand toward him.

He looked at her hand, the ghost smile breaking on his lips before he extended his hand in return. "I'm Tom."

"I know," she added. The guy blinked. "Your brother called you by your name," she sufficed.

He beckoned her answer and smiled at her. She shivered under the November chill and let go off her hand. "You're cold. Should go inside," he asserted.

His gaze wandered toward the shop and she wished she could give him some assurance, but her heart dropped knowing it won't be easy. Lilly hated him. "I'll see you around."

"I'm not allowed there," he titled his head at the shop. "I tried." The last word had been spoken barely above the whisper.

The words had ringed true and Rosemary knew it. "Don't lose your hope," she said pulling the cardigan closer around her small form. "You'll see, they'd come around."

"Hardly," he spoke through clipped teeth. "But nevertheless, it was my pleasure to meet you."

Her ears burned, and she sent him a smile. "Hope, you'd enjoy your pastries. Apple cinnamon ones are my favorite."

"Mine too," he chuckled.

She turned on her heels, but wrenching her head at him once more. "See you around," she mouthed.

She had been already at the doors when she saw his form disappear behind the stone monument at the square. Rosemary drew in deep breath, the smile still on her lips. No, she had not regretted running after him to return him the exchange. The guilt would eat her out if she took it.

One thing she knew, Lilly would not be pleased by her stunt -- not when she'd been arguing with him whenever he would stop by.

Rosemary entered the shop, and to her surprise shop had been silent and her friend nowhere in the sight. As if the incident hadn't happened.

She must have gone upstairs. It's for the best, Rosemary assured herself.

Returning behind the counter, she had started the fresh pot of the black coffee, Greg would like to have his next fix of caffeine in an half hour. Everything would be fine if Izzy hadn't started to chew her gum aloud all of sudden, determined to annoy her.

She sent the glare girl's way.

"Mrs Meade had been furious when she left upstairs," she started, picking up on her bright red nails. "That guy had been forbidden from the shop."

Rosemary bit inside of her mouth, drawing a little blood. "Why?"

Yes, why? She wished to know.

Izzy twisted her mouth, clipping with her teeth. "There's history between her and younger Abernathy."

Rosemary's forehead creased. "A history?"

Izzy bobbed her head and left, leaving an unanswered question hanging in the air. Rosemary stared at the windows, the empty cup dangling in her fingers.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.5M 282K 96
RANKED #1 CUTE #1 COMEDY-ROMANCE #2 YOUNG ADULT #2 BOLLYWOOD #2 LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT #3 PASSION #7 COMEDY-DRAMA #9 LOVE P.S - Do let me know if you...
183K 11.4K 13
"α€˜α€±α€Έα€α€Όα€Άα€€α€œα€¬α€•α€Όα€±α€¬α€α€šα€Ί α€„α€œα€»α€Ύα€„α€Ία€œα€Ύα€―α€•α€Ία€žα€½α€¬α€Έα€œα€­α€―α€·α€α€²α€·.... α€™α€Ÿα€―α€α€Ία€›α€•α€«α€˜α€°α€Έα€—α€»α€¬...... ကျွန်တော် α€”α€Ύα€œα€―α€Άα€Έα€žα€¬α€Έα€€ α€žα€°α€·α€”α€¬α€™α€Šα€Ία€œα€±α€Έα€€α€Όα€½α€±α€€α€»α€α€¬α€•α€«.... α€€α€»α€½α€”α€Ία€α€±α€¬α€Ία€›α€„α€Ία€α€―α€”α€Ία€žα€Άα€α€½α€±α€€...
448K 6.2K 32
Rajveer is not in love with Prachi and wants to take revenge from her . He knows she is a virgin and is very peculiar that nobody touches her. Prachi...
404K 45.8K 28
"π’šπ’π’– 𝒄𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 π’ƒπ’“π’†π’‚π’Œ π’Žπ’š 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒕 π’Šπ’ π’•π’˜π’ 𝒃𝒖𝒕 π’˜π’‰π’†π’ π’Šπ’• 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒔, π’Šπ’• 𝒃𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒔 𝒇𝒐𝒓 π’šπ’π’–" ...