The Black Knight

由 LindseyM17

Faylen Adwynn comes from a troubled past which landed her in Rivendell 10 years ago. She found a new family a... 更多

Authors Note
Chapter 1: (Prologue)
Chapter 2:
Chapter 3:
Chapter 4:
Chapter 5:
Chapter 6:
Chapter 7:
Chapter 8:
Chapter 9:
Chapter 10:
Chapter 11:
Chapter 12:
Chapter 13:
Chapter 14:
Chapter 16:
Chapter 17:
Chapter 18:
Chapter 19:
Chapter 20:
Chapter 21:
Chapter 22:
Chapter 23:
Chapter 24:
Chapter 25:
Chapter 26:
Chapter 27:
Authors Note
Chapter 28:
Chapter 29:
Chapter 30:
Chapter 31: (Epilogue)
New Book

Chapter 15:

728 22 0
由 LindseyM17

"One stage of your journey is over, another begins," Gandalf the white says as we move out of the forest. "War has come to Rohan. We must ride to Edoras with all speed."

"Faylen said this about Rohan before," I say sadly.

The others talk about what must be done but I can only think of Faylen.

I miss her.

We found Merry and Pippin safe and even Gandalf came back, but Faylen is not to be found. I feel a hand on my shoulder and look to see Aragorn seems to be thinking the same thing.

"We will find her," he says.

All I can do is nod as we step out of the forest and onto the plains of Rohan. Gandalf whistles and in the distance I can see something making its way towards us. It's a white horse.

"That is one of the mearas, unless my eyes are cheated by some spell," I say in shock.

The horse slows to a trot and stands in front of Gandalf who begins stroking its neck.

"Shadowfax. He's the lord of all horses and has been my friend through many dangers," Gandalf says lovingly.

"Let's make for Rohan then," Aragorn says and jumps into his saddle.

I swing up onto my horse as well and give Gimli a hand up. He settles into the saddle behind me and Gandalf sets us off at a quick pace. We ride for hours under the hot sun with my thoughts still on Faylen.

"Lad, look!" Gimli says behind me.

I raise my eyes to the distance to see a horse quickly making its way to us. The rider's black armor contrasts with the white horse and their hair blows behind them in the wind.

"I can't believe it," I say.

I charge my horse forward and rush to meet the rider as if they knew my thoughts.

"Woah," Gimli says behind me and grabs my tunic to hang on.

I can feel Aragorn and Gandalf behind us as the rider comes into view. My eyes only see her as she comes into better view, though I would recognize her face from a mile away. She grins and slows her horse to a stop. We both jump from our saddles at the same time and I run to her, not being able to help myself.

"Hey stranger," she says with that smile of hers.

I wrap my arms around her and lift her off the ground to swing her around, hearing her melodic laugh before setting her down and burying my head in her hair.

"Faylen," I murmur.

She pulls back and those wide, pine green eyes meet mine.

"Well geez, I didn't think I'd be missed," she jokes.

I move a loose strand of windblown hair behind her ear and continue to smile while taking her in.

"I'm so glad I found you," I say.

"Me too," she says.

Her gaze looks past my shoulders and she leaves my arms, rushing towards the man who is a brother to her.

"Faylen!" he says before giving her a fierce hug.

"Aragorn," she says.

The both pull away and put a hand on each other's shoulders, both grinning ear to ear.

"Don't scare me like that again," he says.

"I'll try not to," she says teasingly.

Then her smile drops.

"Merry and Pippin?"

"They are safe. They are in Fangorn Forest protected by the Ents."

She lets out a sigh of relief.

"Hey Gimli," she says to the Dwarf.

"Glad to see ya lassie," he says and returns her smile.

She scans around us and I know she is looking for others.

"Sam and Frodo continued on to Mordor while we came after Merry and Pip. Boromir however didn't make it."

Her smile turns down before facing Gandalf.

"You know you made quite the entrance," she says.

I look to the two in confusion and find Gandalf laughing.

"I forgot that you might notice," he says.

"Notice? How could I not," Faylen jokes. "I felt you from miles away."

Now Aragorn looks to her in confusion too.

"I can also sense when a strong form of light appears and I knew it was Gandalf returning because so far he is the only one that can have that effect," Faylen explains.

I just stare in amazement at her.

"Where were you?" Aragorn asks. "I know you didn't get lost with your tracking skills."

"Um... I was sort of taken by a group of Wild Men," she says shyly.

"Wild men? Whatever for?" Gimli asks.

She doesn't answer and Aragorn looks at her in concern.

"He made them, didn't he?" he asks. "He's tracking you."

Faylen sighs before nodding. I think back to the meeting with Elrond and know exactly who is after her once again, fury coming over me.

"We should set up camp here tonight since we won't make it to Edoras by nightfall," Gandalf says.

We all nod, Gimli and Aragorn saying something about getting firewood and Gandalf begins staring at the sun beginning to set. I turn back to Faylen to notice a few injuries.

"You're hurt," I say and put a hand on her arm.

"It's nothing," she says.

"I am tending to those injuries now," I say sternly.

"Legolas," she says and I have to ignore the way she says my name, getting back to the matter at hand.

"You didn't let me get off the hook before so it's not about to happen now," I say sternly.

"Alright, fine," she gives in.

She sits down on the short grass and I grab the only pack we traveled with since leaving Amon Hen. I pull out the few things I need before sitting closely next to Faylen. I set to work on the lacerations she has, including her raw wrists.

"I am so angry at those men for doing this to you," I say, irritated.

I can feel her smile on me.

"You don't need to worry-"

"Yes I do," I say and look deep into her eyes. "I do not like to see you hurt Faylen."

She is about to say something when Gimli is back and interrupts.

"How did you get out?" he asks.

"The riders of Rohan ran into us and helped. Their Third Marshall and leader, Éomer who is the nephew of King Theodan, is a friend of mine. I promised a while back that I would help rid of the shadow looming over Rohan as much as I can. He gave me one of their horses and I set off," she explains. "He also mentioned he ran into you guys."

"That must have been the great idiot who looked down upon us," Gimli mutters.

Faylan lets out a chuckle.

"Yeah, he's a little headstrong and proud," she says before turning to Gandalf. "Gandalf, are you planning on bringing the king back to his self from Saruman?"

"I do. I think I have a way of doing so now," the wizard says with a nod.

"Good," Faylen replies.

I finish bandaging one of the deeper cuts and pack things up, fighting the urge to want to touch her again.

You don't even know if she feels the same way for you. She might just want to be friends.

I sigh in annoyance as I help Aragorn with the fire. Elves can only fall in love once in their life, which I have not yet. I've felt some things in the past but nothing as strong as this. I need to tell her how I feel before I go crazy, but I don't know when the time is right with so many things already on her mind.

* * * *

I only eat a little bit of Lembas bread before taking off some parts of my armor and crashing right there on the hard grass. Before I know it I am being shaken awake by Aragorn and load up my weapons.

"Let us be off," Gandalf says in a hurry.

I mount up onto Ashkin and pet his neck, thankful for him getting me here yesterday. We continue to gallop across the fields of Rohan, the sun high in the sky when we reach a hill. I stop Ashkin and look down upon the city below.

"Edoras and the Golden Hall of Meduseld. There dwells Théoden, King of Rohan, whose mind as we know is overthrown. Saruman's hold over King Théoden is now very strong. Be careful what you say. Do not look for welcome here," Gandalf says and urges Shadowfax down the hill.

We reach the gates, the wind strong as it blows against us, and are granted to pass through. Riding up through the city is dreary and eerie. The few people outside give us hard stares as we pass and the Golden Hall has double the guards than it did the last time I came. We dismount and head up the stairs. I stand between Aragorn and Legolas as several guards come out of the hall to stand in front of us.

"I cannot allow you before Théoden King so armed, Gandalf Grayhame by order of Grima Wormtongue," the guard says.

Hearing that sly man's name makes me want to vomit. I recognize the guard as Háma and remember him as one of the good guys. Gandalf nods to us on either side of him and start to disarm myself. Then I remember Lightsbane.

"This sword is not to be touched by anyone," I say to Háma as I untie it from my armor. "I will set it off to the side here, but do not touch it. Understand?"

He looks worriedly to me as I step over to the edge of the stairs and set my sword down. The feeling of it leaves my side and I feel so exposed. I step back between Legolas and Aragorn, getting a nod from the Elf as he continues disarming himself, him knowing why I truly keep my sword on me all the time. The guys finish disarming but I keep going, pulling out several daggers from hiding places. Finally I place what I think is the last knife in Háma's arms.

"Oh wait," I say and pull another out from under my tunic that peaks through the neckline of my armor.

I place the last one with the others, getting several looks from the other guards.

"What? Never seen a woman with weapons before?" I ask.

I hear Legolas trying to keep a laugh held in.

"Your staff," Háma says to Gandalf.

"Oh no. You would not part an old man from his walking stick?" Gandalf says.

Háma gives him an apologetic look and begins to lead us through the opening doors. I catch Gandalf give Aragorn a wink. Knowing fully well what might be awaiting us, Aragorn and Legolas flank Gandalf from both sides and Gimli and I cover him from the back. I give the Dwarf a nod who hides a smile in his bushy beard. I immediately see Grima hovering next to the king who looks worse than when I last saw him.

"The courtesy of your hall has somewhat lessened of late, Théoden King," Gandalf bellows out.

Grima continues whispering poison into the king's ear.

"Why should I welcome you, Gandalf Stormcrow?" the king says in a weary yet mocking voice.

"A just question my liege," Grima says.

"Be silent," Gandalf warns Grima. "Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth. I have not passed through fire and death to bandy crude words with a witless worm."

I smirk. Gandalf holds out his staff and begins moving closer to the king on his throne.

"His staff!" Grima shouts out. "I told you to take the wizard's staff!"

Grima cringes away from Gandalf and soldiers working for him move towards the wizard as he moves forward. Aragorn lashes out at the first who comes forward, Legolas following. Gimli kicks someone down and I grab a guard's arm to swiftly flip him onto his back. He groans when he hits the floor. Gandalf just calmly moves forward like nothing is happening behind him.

"Théoden, son of Thengel. Too long have you sat in the shadows," the wizard's voice booms out over the hall.

We continue fighting the guards off, Gimli rushing forward to Grima who's trying to launch himself at Gandalf. The Dwarf knocks him down and puts a foot on his chest.

"I would stay still if I were you," Gimli warns.

"Harken to me. I release you from this spell," Gandalf says.

King Théoden lets out a growl before beginning to laugh loudly.

"You have no power here, Gandalf the Grey," the king says, continuing to laugh.

In one quick move, Gandalf lets his grey cloak fall to the floor, revealing bright white robes to show his new power. Théoden lets out a scream and cringes in his seat.

"I will draw you Saruman as poison is drawn from a wound," Gandalf says and points his staff at the troubled king, slamming him into the back of the throne with Gandalf continuing to move closer.

Running footsteps rush into the hall from behind the throne and I see Éowyn making her way to the king. She looks so much more tired from when I last saw her. Before she makes it to the throne, Aragorn grabs her to hold her back, the maiden struggling in his arms.

"Wait," he tells her.

Now a new voice sounds from the king, one sounding more like Saruman.

"If I go, Théoden dies!"

He is slammed back into his throne once again.

"You could not kill me, you will not kill him," Gandalf shouts.

"Rohan is mine," the king sneers.

"Be gone!" Gandalf yells with his hand reaching out.

Théoden lets out another scream and moves to lunge out at Gandalf, but he is thrown back into his chair once again. Then I can no longer feel the nearby shadow looming in my mind as Gandalf's staff releases the king and he wearily slides down the chair. Éowyn is let go and runs over to her uncle to help him back up. Everyone in the hall gasps as the king immediately begins to transform back to his younger, true self before our eyes. Color returns to his eyes and skin as he marvels at the changes. Then he looks to his niece in shock.

"I know your face. Éowyn. Éowyn," the king says to her.

Éowyn looks so relieved and amazed, beginning to cry, as she hugs onto her uncle. The king turns to look out among his hall.

"Gandalf?" he asks the wizard in white.

"Breathe the free air again, my friend," Gandalf says with a smile.

"Dark have been my dreams of late," Théoden says while still marveling at how his body has changed, looking at his hand in wonder.

"Your fingers would remember their old strength better if they grasped your sword," Gandalf says.

Háma comes up to the throne with a relieved look, holding out a sheath. Théoden grabs the hilt and pulls the magnificent sword out, reveling in the sight of his weapon once again. Commotion stirs from his side as Grima tries to get away, fear now in his eyes as he cowers. Gimli holds him up while the king gives the slimy man a piercing look.

"Get him out!" the king orders.

Guards grab onto each of his arms and haul him out of the hall, Théoden following with an intent look. I look to Gandalf who is beginning to follow the king. I move with the others and watch as Grima is thrown down the stairs and onto the dirt. Théoden follows him down the stairs, his sword in hand. Grima tries to reason with the king but he does not take it, yelling at Saruman's servant. It draws a crowd and people begin to murmur in shock at seeing their leader well once again. King Théoden raises his sword and moves to slash it down onto the man. I feel Aragorn move from my side, his cloak flying out behind him, as he rushes to the king, stopping the sword from coming down.

"No, my lord. No, let him go. Enough blood has been spilt on his account," Aragorn says.

The king lowers his sword but still stares down Grima. Being the brother that I know, Aragorn offers Grima a hand but he just spits in his palm before sprinting off into the crowd as he flees Edoras.

"Hail Théoden King!" Aragorn shouts out over the crowd.

People bow to their king, faces showing relief, pride, and happiness. Gandalf gives me a smile as he takes in the scene. The Rohirrim begin to rejoice and Théoden begins speaking with Gandalf and Aragorn. Just past them I see a familiar face and move to Éowyn. She breaks out into an even bigger grin and moves in for a hug.

"I knew you would come back, just like you said," she says while holding my hands. "Thank you."

"Well I wasn't the only one who had a part to play," I say kindly back.

"I am so happy to see you here again, for even though you were only here a short time before, I felt that we had grown very close. It was nice to have a friend besides my brother."

"I am glad to see you too. Oh and I have a message from Éomer."

"You've seen him? When?"

"A day or so ago. We ran into each other with his men. He wanted me to tell you that he is safe and that he will do and go through anything to get back to you."

Éowyn begins tearing up and pulls me in for another hug.

"Thank you. Now that my uncle is back to himself, Éomer will be able to come home again where he belongs."

"Yes he will."

"You look like you've been traveling far," Éowyn says and wraps her arm around mine as we look to the others.

I catch Legolas giving me a look, his eyes soft with a kind look to them. I hope I'm not blushing as I look away. My feelings towards him haven't changed since I realized their truth in Lothlórien.

"It has been a long journey. My companions and I set out on a quest to defeat the evil growing in Mordor," I say. "What happened here is only a small part of what is to come."

"Our soldiers have been trying to take care of the Orcs that have been coming into our lands, but no matter how many are killed more just come to replace them," Éowyn says. "Gandalf will have to fill my uncle in on things now that he is himself again."

I nod.

"So who are your companions? Who is the one speaking with the king?"

"That is Aragorn. We both grew up together so he is pretty much a brother to me."

"And the others?"

"Gimli, son of Gloin, is the Dwarf and the Elf is Legolas, of the Woodland Realm," I say though Éowyn still has her gaze on Aragorn.

"Where is Theodred?" the king shouts out. "Where is my son?"

I look to Éowyn who just gives me a somber look with a shake of her head. Théoden moves to his niece and she rushes to his side, no doubt beginning to explain. The pair moves into the hall and Gandalf joins them, leaving us four and some guards at the bottom of the stairs. Aragorn gives me a puzzling look.

"He didn't make it," I say quietly.

Aragorn nods and begins to climb the stairs.

"Poor man," Gimli says.

Legolas and I stay silent as the three of us head back into the hall after the others. So much death has already happened and this is only the beginning of the war. I spy Éowyn speaking to several servants who rush off into the hall past the throne room, no doubt to prepare for the prince's funeral while Théoden sits in a daze on his throne.

继续阅读

You'll Also Like

286K 7.9K 36
Farren and her brother Aragorn have wandered Middle Earth for the best part of a century, however with the discovery of the One Ring Farren is thrown...
64.4K 1.7K 33
Story Rankings as of 9/11/2022 #36 elf out of 9.2k stories #22 aragorn out of 1.7k stories #7 theonering out of 87 stories Raewyn has a special backg...
68.2K 1.9K 33
It's been 60 years since Amara Silverhood traveled with the Company of Thorin Oakenshield, but the pain in her heart remains as ever present as the d...
214K 6.2K 45
Sapphire is an orphan elleth whom was brought up by dwarves in the Mines of Moria. Now she wanders the wilderness of Middle-Earth as one of the most...