Under The Tent Top (COMPLETED)

By ArianneBarroma

"Welcome, we thank you for spending your night with us. We promise you, that this will be a party you will ne... More

Prologue
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty - One
Twenty - Two
Twenty - Three
Twenty - Four
Twenty - Five
Twenty - Six
Twenty - Eight
Twenty - Nine
Thirty
Thirty - One
Thirty - Two
Thirty - Three
Thirty - Four
Thirty - Five
Thirty - Six
Thirty - Seven
Thirty - Eight
Thirty-Nine
Fourty
Fourty - One
Fourty - Two
Under The Tent Top

Twenty - Seven

154 10 0
By ArianneBarroma

MARIUS' gazed at me. Be enticing. His eyes glazed over with anger as he hastily fell to his knees, to gather my dress. I slowly lowered myself as I reached for his hands. My body suddenly consumed by the demands of Samil's expectations. My hands found Marius' and placed them against my face. I kissed his fingers. "I didn't mean to upset you..." I whimpered.

"Nalani, stop..." Marius pleaded, pulling his hands away from my grasp. He softly grazed my hair to the side. "Nalani. It's me."

I leaned back, exposing my torso to the man. "It's okay, Samil won't mind."

Marius shook his head in frustration and sorrow. His hands gathered me into his arms. "Nalani stop."

I reached for his face only to find his fingers wrapped around my wrist. My breath caught in my throat. In the haze of anxiety and Mendacium I began to panic. "Please don't be upset. Please I'll do what ever you want."

Samil wouldn't like a dissatisfied man leaving my presence.

"Nalani..." Marius begged. "You don't need to do this."

I trashed around in fear. "Please, I don't want him upset."

"Who?"

"Samil, please. It's okay - you can do what you'd like. I'll do whatever you need."

The world around me spun. My body ached, my sight became murky with the tears that began to gather, and I drowned under the terror that consumed me.

"No, it's okay. Shh."

I cried into his arms. The smog slowly faded around me. Soon I began to find the rhythm of my own breath back. "I - I..The show?"

Marius pulled me far enough away to find my eyes. "Forget it - you need to get yourself out of here."

I gazed at my reflection in his eyes - nodding in agreement. I had to leave before he killed me.

~*~

By the time I had returned to the performers' bunks. Mirna, Dandra, Rene, Marius, Artin and Lacey had gathered. A consensual sigh of relief escaped my friends.

"What happened?" Dandra asked.

I looked down at her, shrugging in defeat. "Samil - I..."

Lacey reached for Dandra's hand. "It's okay, you don't need to explain - are you okay?"

I nodded. "I am. But I think we all need to speak."

I explained my hopes of leaving, my fears of leaving them behind, and my lack of destination.

"We'll do what ever we can to help." Mirna reached for me.

Artin nodded, his hand squeezing my arm in comfort.

"When are you hoping to go?" Rene asked.

I shrugged. "Perhaps a few days from tonight? I need to plan a little more. I don't want any of you hurt from this - I have to find a way for him to think I wanted to leave you too. Or to convince him that I'm not worth anything anymore..."

"Could you pretend you're pregnant?" Lacey asked. "I assume the Nightingale would lose her image with a child?"

My face fell. "I can't. It's an abnormality from the nukes. I think."

"Oh, I'm sorry - I didn't know."

I shook my head. "How could you? It's okay. The nurses at a bunk when I was younger had done a physical when I was old enough - It's something I've known for a while."

Mirna cleared her throat. "Maybe we can stage an accident?"

"No," Marius shook his head. "Samil will blame her, and hurt her more."

"We'll think of something," Mirna smiled. "Don't you worry."

"Where are you going to go?" Dandra asked.

I turned to Marius. He smiled comfortingly. "I'm not sure."

Rene cleared her throat. "It's a rumour. But..."

Mirna gestured for her to continue.

"At Odin's house, I have overheard a few guards and visiting men talk about a sort of neutral land."

"Rene..." Marius mumbled in caution.

She waved him silent. "I said it may be a rumour. It's a long way through the continents. But somewhere in a Machu Picchu ...there may be a small safe zone. The bunkers were supposedly meant for the North and South American leaders prior to the nukes - but they never reached it in time. The guards said the ambassadors of the bunk left it open for the public at that point."

I gasped in hope, my fingers curled around Marius'.

"It's just a rumour..." Rene swallowed.

Suddenly a loud knock was heard at the door. Manuel peaked his head through. "We've got to get going now. Samil's looking for us. Odin's here - we're starting.

~*~

I stood back in the trailer with Marius and Artin. The men gazed at me. I bit my lip.

"Artin, do you think we can find a bag?"

He nodded in excitement, running off to find a multi pocket, buckled backpack. A small smile shaped his lips, causing fine lines to crease around his eyes.

I reached for his gift. The weight was heavier than expected. My eyebrow cocked up, "Artin?". Inside was a small pile of clothes, a dented metal water bottle, and a small hunting knife.

His eyes refused to leave mine as he squeezed my hand.

"Where did you get all of this?"

He shrugged.

"Sneaking things away from the black bins?"

The old man nodded.

"Have you had this for a while now?"

He nodded humbly.

"Artin. I can't. This is yours. I'll find my own things."

Artin shook his head - pressing the bag closer to my chest. My face fell as mist welled in my eyes. I pulled the old man closer, hugging him tightly.

"Thank you."

Suddenly, loud music boomed from the White Top. Artin pressed his lips together as he ushered Marius and I out the door.

"He's right, we need to get you to the tent." Marius stated.

Reluctantly I followed Marius down the dirt field. The crowd inside roared in excitement at our return. Odin's presence must have caused a larger crowd than normal.

The first act had just finished. Rene ran down through the curtains, her face flushed white. "Samil's demonic. We tried to stall. But he's upset he hasn't seen you." She panted.

"Don't worry. Thank you."

My friend squeezed my hand tightly before disappearing in the crowd of hustling performers.

"Hey!" Manuel cried from across the floor. His eyes wide in panic as Samil stepped through the equipment and stomped his way towards me. Manuel waved in urgency to warn me.

My knees felt weak despite my efforts to stand tall.

"Where the bloody hell have you been?!" He snarled.

Marius took a step between us.

"Back if you bastard," Samil spat before turning back at me. "You better get your ass ready or I swear..."

"No." I mumbled in half bravery.

Samil tilted his head. "What?"

I cleared my throat. "I said: no."

A large heavy evil laugh escaped the ringleader. The sound roared within the tent so loud, that performers and audience members both turned towards the origin. "Darling...you can't say no."

"I just did. I'm leaving. I don't want to sing for you anymore."

Samil's demon smile fell. His black painted lips curled in a grimace, his hateful eyes tore through his white face and his hands wheeled up in the air ready to land on my face.

In an instant I felt my arm lift in anger. My hand balled in a fist, my eyes set on his jaw. I thrusted hard at his chin.

A stunned expressing waved across his face. Marius gasped in shock as he reached for me. A small laugh escaped my lips - surprised at my abrupt action.

"You stupid girl." Samil growled. Within moments he had shoved Marius to the ground and had me by the hair. Women and men alike reached over in attempt to pull him away from me.

The crowd naive to my circumstance were to emerged in Invidia the elephant rider.

Samil whipped his large knife at me. "One more step," He hissed at the performers. "And I'll end this bird."

I pulled at his arm.

"Stand up." He shouted.

My feet refused to follow.

With my resistance he pulled at my head, my scalp cried in pain. "Keep this up and I'll slit your f*c*king throat."

"I've seen worse scenarios with you." I snarled.

Rage filled the devil. In a aggressive manner, Samil dragged me through the curtains by the hair. The crowd gasped in horror. The elephants cried in shock. And Samil laughed.

He traced his knife around the strap of the shirt I wore. The blade tugged against my collarbone. "Ladies and gentlemen." Samil cried. "My Nightingale, begs for your forgiveness."

The ringleader pulled my face up, pressing his mouth against my cheek.

Behind me Marius, Mirna and Manuel had burst through the curtains - desperate to reach me. Samil sent a threatening glare their way.

"She has been filled with excitement all evening." Samil stated; his mouth wet in anger against my face. "She wishes to present herself to you sooner ...than...later."

With a force Samil tore my shirt open with his blade, forced me to my knees and thrusted my head to the ground. I stared at the ground in my exposed state. A mixture of gasps and whistles escaped the crowd.

Samil aggressively grabbed my face, refusing to let me move. His nails dug deep into my cheeks. "Sing."

I ripped my face from his grasp.

A fist met my jaw. "Sing!" He growled. The crowd roared in agreement.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

425K 14.4K 55
"I know what you're doing," I said, pointing my spoon at him and he cocked a curious eyebrow, "Is that so?" I nodded as I spooned more pudding int...
64 12 6
I was a girl, living on a mountain by the outskirts of a town, doing alright. Then my parents died and I became a queen a few weeks later, trying to...
183K 5.5K 34
What happens when one of the last freakshows comes to your town? Not only is it a grotesque event viewed for pleasure at a circus but one that harbo...
124K 6.5K 99
Hannah And her Happy Harem After spending her entire life training to become an Olympic level gymnast only to suffer one too many injuries for her bo...