Ineffable | Newt

By taintedandloved

INEFFABLE [adjective] Too great to be expressed in words [Time takes place before Maze Runner] More

Prologue
1.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.

2.

901 24 1
By taintedandloved

Newt explained everything to Katie about the Glade and what he knew about how the Creators did things. He gave her a tour, but she hid behind him most of the time to get away from the stares of the other boys. She was terrified, and not like any other boy that Newt had met—he didn't know what to do. He brought her to the animal pens, map room, deadheads, and tree groves.

"Bloody hell, Katie." Exasperated, Newt grabbed Katie by her forearm and pulled her in front of him. "Stop hiding."

Katie noticed Newt had an angry look on his face, probably at her, which made her feel bad. She hung her head down, mad at herself for getting Newt angry. She didn't like this place; she didn't know anyone, and she just wanted to get away. She heard him sigh.

"Sorry." He mumbled and looked up toward the sky to avoid her doe eyes. "Runners—those shanks—will be back soon—come with me."

He gently placed two fingers under her hand this time and softly pulled her towards him to follow.Katie understood and walked with him, liking this way a lot better than him grabbing her; once he knew she was following him, he let her go and walked ahead of her. Even with his limp, he was a lot quicker than her and gained great distance without noticing.

"Hey!" a voice directed towards Katie. She came to a halt and turned to face the suitor, a large boy—certainly taller than Katie, but almost everyone was—with angry mad eyes stomping towards her."What do you think you're doing?"

Katie furrowed her eyebrows. She was following Newt; did she do something wrong? She opened her mouth in confusion but was cut off by the boy, now directly in front of her.

"What're you? Huh?" He leaned menacingly towards her and shouted in her face. "Spy?"

A spy? For whom? Katie didn't think she was a spy, although she didn't know anything.

"Hey, Shuckhead, I'm talkin' to ya!" He yelled at her and knocked twice on top of her head very hard. It hurt Katie's head, and her hand flew straight to where his knuckles hit and cradled it.

"Shuck off, Gally!" Newt's accent was suddenly very close; he wedged himself between Katie and the boy known as Gally. "She's scared; leave her alone."

Katie couldn't see anything in front of Newt, and although she didn't try to look, she didn't want to see Gally. Newts shielded her, and like this, she felt a safe sensation—that is, until Gally's voice cut through her ears.

"What if she's a spy, Newt?" He grunted, but Newt didn't falter at all. "Never sent a girl up. Why now?"

The way he said "girl" sent a shiver down Katie's back, like being a girl was a terrible act. She couldn't help who or what she was.

"I'm not sure, Slinthead,"Newt's voice was calm, so Katie tried to hide her small snicker at the nickname as best as she could. Unfortunately for her, Gally heard him and snapped his head around to glare at the girl. She squeaked in fear of his face and grabbed onto the back of Newt's shirt to hide herself, to which he was taken aback and wobbled slightly. Nonetheless, he regained his composure and turned to Gally again. "She's a Glader, like the rest of us."

Gally sent Katie one last menacing glare, resulting in her holding onto Newt's shirt tighter and hiding further behind him. Gally returned to his original location.

"Why're you hiding?" Newt attempted to turn around and look at the girl clinging to his clothes. Katie released her hold, scrambled a couple feet away from him, and looked at him speechlessly. He crossed his arms and looked behind her.

"Why won't you speak?" He questioned the girl, and honestly, she didn't have an answer. She physically couldn't bring herself to speak without experiencing a palpitating heart, restricted breathing, and light-headedness. But she wanted to speak; she really wanted to communicate, despite the fact that she couldn't speak.

"I-I can't..." To please him, she trailed off softly—the first full sentence she'd uttered.Her voice sounded like silk to Newt, despite the pain it put her through, and it made him feel bad for being cranky today. The truth was that he slept terribly the last two nights, what with her in his bed; he had gotten so used to his bed that he couldn't sleep in the hammocks. His gaze softened at her, but before he could say anything, a voice sounded.

"They're back!" A boy shouted somewhere. Katie looked around skeptically; she couldn't figure out where the voice was coming from. Newt chuckled a bit at her, and she looked up at him with her big brown eyes.

"Runners're back." Newt clarifies and points towards one of the four openings to the maze. Katie follows his finger. "They're the only ones allowed outside."

Katie breathes out in understanding and watches as a few boys come jogging into the glade.

"Remember how I said you'd be trying some jobs?" Newt brings her attention back to him, and she gives a nod. "Runner's one of 'em."

Katie's eyes widen, and the colour drains from her face. She shakes her head "no" vigorously.

She holds out her left leg dramatically for Newt to see that her legs are too short to be running anywhere, but instead he tilts his head back and lets out a melodic laugh. He was going to tell her that they already knew she wouldn't be a runner, but her reaction was too adorable.

"Come on, Greenie." He says it with a smirk on his face and by turning on his heels. "Time for the party."

Newt's two strides equaled four of Katie's, meaning he was already far in front of her when she registered the word "party." She scrambled to catch up with him on his way to what she remembered as the kitchens.

Katie tapped on Newt's arm so he would look at her confused expression. Newt slowed his pace a bit for her.

"You're the greenie this month," Newt explains. "We ought to have a party for you."

A party sounded nice, although Katie couldn't recall ever being at one, but if it was fun, she wanted to participate. She followed Newt, who was walking at a leisurely pace for Katie, towards the kitchen area. The sun was setting, and boys started gathering around, getting their food, then moving into groups to talk.

"Newt!" A boy called out. Katie's attention was drawn to the fit boy jogging towards her and Newt. Katie guessed from his running that he had short black hair and strong legsng towards her and Newt. Katie guessed from his running that he had short black hair and strong legs. "So it's true; she really is a girl."

"Katie," Newt says to the approaching boy, who has now taken the final few steps towards the pair."This is Minho, the Runners' Keeper."

Katie's eyes travelled to the runner, who sent her a wink and a smile.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

545K 12.3K 69
"𝐢 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐛𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐞𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬, 𝐝𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠." 𝐢𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 𝐭𝐰𝐨 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐞 𝐨𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐬𝐢𝐭𝐞𝐬 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞 �...
422 0 8
𝘕𝘦𝘸𝘵 𝘐𝘮𝘢𝘨𝘪𝘯𝘦𝘴! 𝘐 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘰𝘸𝘯 𝘢𝘯𝘺 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘴𝘦 𝘐𝘮𝘢𝘨𝘪𝘯𝘦𝘴. 𝘈𝘭𝘭 𝘤𝘳𝘦𝘥𝘪𝘵𝘴 𝘨𝘰𝘦𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘪𝘳 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘱𝘦𝘤�...
5.1K 275 58
when thomas meets a boy that makes him forget the world is crumbling around them ...
6K 151 28
Collection of imagines about Thomas from the Maze Runner trilogy books/movies. Feel free to leave a request!