Les Misérables | Regulus A. B...

By kmbell92

Since the time she was a young girl, Éponine Rosier has learned the importance of marrying a respectable pure... More

Les Misérables
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty- Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Author's Note
Sequel Announcement!

Prologue

63.9K 2.7K 4.1K
By kmbell92

[Prologue]

Humidity cursed the air as a storm was approaching in the distance, threatening to take away the sunlight for the remainder of the day. The flowers were enjoying every bit of a sun soak they could gather before they would be naturally watered and all those in passing were able to enjoy the bright colours that decorated the windows of flats that lined down the road. It was approaching the early evening hours as men and women were returning to their homes, preparing to cook and settle down for dinner. However, for one family, the day seemed to be just beginning as they carefully made their way down the pavement.

Twelve Grimmauld Place was not a home for muggle-viewing, as that would be viewed as a disgrace to those that dwelt inside. It was home to the members of the ancestral Black family, the Noble and Most Ancient of wizarding families. Funny enough, the home was located in a muggle neighbourhood, tucked in the Borough of Islington of London. However, muggles were not even aware that the home existed as Orion Black had taken plenty of precautions to ensure that the home had ever safety measure taken. It remained unplottable, so to muggles, number twelve, simply did not exist. 

To enter, would be at the hands of an extended invitation of the family, which was behind the entire reason of the visiting Rosier family that early evening. Victor Rosier walked beside his wife, Heloise and gripping his hand, was his daughter, Éponine. The nine-year-old had firmly latched onto her father since departing from their home earlier that afternoon as they made a trip to Diagon Alley before they were expected at the Black household. The girl was fully aware that something was bound to happen, her parents told her that it was an important day for all of them. She knew something was awry as, during the recent weeks, her parents had been pushing for her to drop her native French tongue and work on her developing English. 

Éponine was quick to assume that whoever they were visiting, it was who she had to learn English for. Already, she was not impressed with the situation she had been forced into over the last couple of weeks, moving from their home in Amiens, France to Sittingbourne in Kent had been a massive change for her. Her mother wasn't too fond of the change as well but she did better to hide it, after all, according to her, they had moved for a good reason. 

"Papa," Éponine whispered, tugging on the sleeve of her father's robes, "Où est-ce qu'on va?"

She simply wanted to know where they were going as no one had given her a clue as to where they were going or who they were visiting. However, as soon as she asked in French, her father came to a halt and gave her a look. Where they were going, they did not speak French, so she needed to speak English, especially if she wanted to make a good impression. 

"Éponine, what did we discuss before we left the house?" Victor asked her in a low voice as he lowered himself to her eye level. For a few moments, she remained silent, simply meeting the dark gaze of the man with her own dark eyes. She didn't understand why they couldn't speak in the native tongue if it was only just the three of them that lingered outside. They weren't in the presence of their company yet, surely it would be fine to speak in their first language rather than the broken English she forced upon herself. 

With a small frown, Éponine peered over in the direction of her mother, hoping the woman would interfere and say something on the matter that would be in her defence. However, Heloise remained quiet, only placing a small smile on her face before running her hands through the girl's dark brown hair.

"Sorry, Papa" Éponine muttered in defeat. There was no sense in arguing with her father, especially if she didn't have her mother standing in her corner. Quickly, her father's demeanour changed as he smiled as well, mirroring the actions of her mother and running his own hand through her dark locks. Her parents always treated her with kindness, but since their move, they acted so nervously as if they were on edge about something. She had to wonder if their nerves were brought on by those they were about to visit and if they were, why would they be visiting such people in the first place?

As expressed many times before, even at such a young age, Éponine was the pride and joy of their couple. They only had one child and her mother was more than content with simply having one as they were given multiple opportunities to spoil her throughout the years. Éponine wouldn't consider herself to be spoiled when it came behaviour wise, she didn't act entitled to what was given to her, mainly because her father made it clear that nothing was ever permanent in life. One could go from having everything to having nothing in a matter of seconds if they were not careful, so she learned early on that she had to be thankful for everything she was presented with.

Every beautiful dress her mother gifted to her, the house-elves around their home that made sure she didn't have to lift a finger if she didn't want to, the horses that her father purchased for her to ride on their land, and everything that her parents did for her to ensure that she would be happy in life. 

She was a grateful child, but it certainly didn't make her any less nervous about what they were about to get into with wherever they were going. 

However, Éponine did not have to wonder for long as they reached their destination only seconds later, with her father leading her up the stairs to a home. She could see the number twelve hanging off to the side and when she looked at the other homes that surrounded it, they almost appeared blurry. Her father didn't knock, but those who dwelt inside must have anticipated their company as the door was promptly open to reveal a house-elf. It quickly ushered the small family inside, making its way through the long hallway to reach the main part of the home. 

The child couldn't help but stare as she took in all the new surroundings, yet, her grip seemed to tighten around her father's hand as they followed the house-elf. There was a beautiful chandelier that hung from the ceiling, crystalised drops of rain seemed to loom over their heads as they looked like they were waiting to fall suspended in mid-air. Several gas lamps lit the scene as it was rather dark inside, dark and quiet. 

Off to the side, there was a doorway that seemed to lead into a dining room as Éponine caught a glimpse of the end of a table. Her eyes darted from left and right, trying to take every bit and piece in before they reached their destination. However, as her gaze trailed up the large staircase in front of them, Éponine let out a small gasp of horror before jumping behind her father and hiding away.

"Éponine, what is it, darling?" Her mother asked, only for the adults to witness their daughter reach out one shaky hand and point in the direction of the stairs. Leading up the steps, the walls were decorated with the shrunken heads of the past house-elves that had once served the family. 

As her parents witnessed the scene, her mother grimaced before peering over at her husband to take in his reaction. She could see his jaw clench before he turned his head away, it was a disturbing sight to see the row of heads sticking out. Normally, one would simply bury a house-elf or have the others do it if they didn't wish to see it done. It was an alarming sight but before any of the Rosier family members could comment on such a sight, a voice interrupted their thoughts from the wings of the dining room. 

A handsome middle-aged man emerged, meeting them before the staircase, dressed in expensive robes that seemed tailored to fit him perfectly. They were dark, which seemed to fit in with the rest of the gothic decor of the home. 

"Victor!" He greeted her father happily, holding out one of his hands for him to shake. "It has been too long, the owls simply don't do the justice of seeing a good friend, face to face."

They exchanged in a strong shake before the man that her father greeted as "Orion" moved over to welcome Heloise into the home. She graciously met with a kiss on each cheek before the man took a step back and looked around observantly. Éponine, who had been hiding behind her father, finally peered out in curiosity again and as soon as she did, Orion spotted.

"I was only about to ask where young Éponine was, but I found her. Shy, is she?"

"My wife and I have deemed her as more of the observant type, she rather watch and listen, than speak," Victor answered with a smile before placing his hand on one of Éponine's shoulders and bringing her forward to stand in front of Orion. 

"Well, that certainly works in our favour, Regulus is the same way," Orion said before crouching down to meet her gaze. Instantly, she took a step back from the dark-haired man, especially as she met his grey eyes. He seemed friendly enough, his moustache twitching in amusement at her reaction, rather than him taking offence. 

"Éponine, where are your manners?" Her mother whispered to her from behind, but quickly Heloise was silenced as Orion peered up at her.

"No need to get upset with the girl, Heloise, after all, I have not seen her since she was merely a few months old. I am nothing more but a stranger to the girl, I actually find it admirable that she is hesitant and cautious. Shows that she has a strong mind, that will serve her well."

She waited patiently until Orion turned his attention to her again and offered a small smile in return for the praise of her mind. 

"Ah, see? I managed to get a smile out of her."

She let out a small nervous giggle before Orion stood up straight again and welcomed her family to join his, in the other room. As soon as the man had turned his back to lead the way, Éponine returned to grabbing her father's hand and squeezing it tightly. 

Orion appeared friendly enough, he would continue to call something out over his shoulder directed at her father and the two men would share in a laugh. However, she had difficulty ignoring what she had seen of the plaque heads of the house-elves. Her mother had grown awfully quiet too, bringing Éponine to look over her own shoulder and see that Heloise was looking around observing just as much as her daughter was. Yet, her demeanour changed drastically as they entered a room where a woman was sitting along with two boys.

"Walburga!" Heloise exclaimed happily and the woman did not hesitate to rise and greet her mother in the same fashion. As the adults seemed to be hosting a reunion that was long overdue, it only left the three children in the room to sit or stand around awkwardly. Looking across the way, one of the boys was sitting slouched in an armchair until his father tapped him on the shoulder to sit up. 

Reluctantly, he did as he was told before flashing a small grin in Éponine's direction, immediately bringing her to dodge behind her father once more. The boys looked similar to their father, the dark hair and the same grey eyes, both of them good-looking even for their young ages. She assumed the one that Orion had scolded to sit up was older as he appeared, at least, taller than the boy seated up on the floor.

The other on the floor was just about to look up and acknowledge that they had company but not before  Éponine found her face held in the hands of Walburga Black. The woman's hands were cold as they practically cupped her cheeks, her long fingernails remained dangerously close that Éponine feared that with the slightest unexpected movement, she would be stabbed in the eye. She had dark hair as well, but hers was pulled back into a bun that nearly pulled back the skin on her face. Her lips were thin much like her frame, nearly disappearing when she smiled, but her blue eyes seemed to cast the emotion she wanted to portray much better. 

"Oh, what a beauty!" Walburga claimed as she held Éponine in place at an uncomfortably close range. "She certainly takes after the Rosier line, doesn't she?"

The woman touched Éponine's long hair, holding one of the curled ends in her fingers before letting it fall back to the girl's shoulders. She examined her as one would study a painting hanging in a gallery as if she were trying to find at least one imperfection within the girl.

She found one.

"She's rather short, isn't she?"

Éponine cast a glance in the direction of the two boys that seemed to snicker at the observation, what did they find so humorous? She was nine years old, it was a pretty set standard that most children remained short and the boy on the floor had no room to laugh because as he stood up, she could clearly see that they stood at the same height. 

They had only been in the presence of the Black family and their home for under ten minutes and already, Éponine was set to leave. She did not like strangers touching her, she did not like being observed while she was trying to do her own observations, she didn't like seeing shrunken heads of house-elves, and whatever was about to take place, she didn't like either.

As Walburga took a step back from her, she pulled on the sleeve of her mother's robe, preparing to ask if they could leave. However, she was interrupted when Walburga suggested that her sons, Regulus and Sirius, show Éponine around the home. She went to protest and her mother could see the look on her face that didn't agree to go anywhere without at least one parent at her side. Quickly, Heloise grabbed her daughter's hand, excusing them for a moment before they stepped outside of the room.

"Maman," Éponine whispered, but her mother cut her off, as she started to fix the girl's hair and smooth out her dress. Suddenly, the child was grabbed by the shoulders, Heloise taking it upon herself to straighten her daughter's posture. 

"Listen to me, Éponine," her mother spoke in an equally quiet voice as it was only the two of them out in the hallway, "you need to make a good impression while we are here today."

"I do?" The child didn't even know what that meant, what impression did she have to make for people she didn't know? How was she going to go about doing such a thing?

"Yes," Heloise continued, " it will serve you well. If you want to live a long and happy life. The Black family is one of the most if not the most respectable wizarding families. Carrying their surname will benefit you greatly-"

"What is a surname?" Éponine questioned. "And how do I carry it?"

"You will learn in due time. For now, it would be the polite thing to accept the offer of the house tour."

Her mother left her out in the hallway before venturing back in, but Éponine could hear her tell Walburga that her daughter was looking forward to the tour. As the boys came out moments later, they didn't seem all that interested in the task they had been given, but listening to their parents seemed to take priority as one of them called for her to follow them. They were making their way up the stairs, walking past the shrunken house-elves' heads without so much as a flinch. 

One of the boys, the younger one by the name of Regulus came to a halt at the halfway point of the stairs, noting that she wasn't following. He had an impatient look on his face, irritated that he had to stop rather than getting the job over with. 

"Are you coming or not?" He called to her, folding his arms and on the verge of tapping his foot in place. 

Éponine cast one lasting look in the direction of the parents, who were still standing in the room. Her mother gave her an encouraging wave to go on before the door was closed over by Walburga. She had no choice but to turn on her heel, but rather than slowly walking by the mounted heads, she raced up the stairs to catch up as fast as she could. 

As the children were upstairs, the adults were left in the room to discuss very important matters, the whole reason behind their visit in the first place. The Rosier family was notably one of the Sacred Twenty-Eight families, a family of pure-blood wizardry free of blood traitors, Muggle-borns, muggles, squibs and if they could help it, half-bloods. The Black family was known for their non-tolerant attitude towards anyone who did not meet the standards or qualifications of their family. Casting out members who married blood traitors or brought dishonour, no signs of squibs ever appearing before they disappeared. 

They held the same standards for those who married into the family and as of that moment, Éponine was set to marry the eldest son of the Walburga and Orion, Sirius. She was the same age as their youngest, but it was important that the eldest was married off first to a respectable pick.

Victor and Orion had been good friends as they attended Hogwarts together, and their wives seemed to get along well when they were in the company of each other. Éponine came from pureblooded lineage, which was of grave importance and she shared the ideology of her parents as well, it had been preached to her starting at a very young age. 

So unbeknownst to Éponine at the time, along with their son, Sirius, when the girl became of age, they would be married.

Unbeknownst to everyone, that their original plan would not go accordingly as Sirius Black, by no means, had plans to remain with the family that long or follow their ways. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.6K 372 26
"You're the last person I expected to save me from my disastrous date.", she placed her gloved hand on his, letting herself be pulled closer. His lip...
387K 13.1K 87
~Where dwell the brave at heart, their daring, nerve and chivalry sets a Gryffindor apart~ What if there was another prophecy made? It talked about...
692K 17.4K 28
"I found him in a lover; when his hair falls in his face, and his hands so cold they shake." Octavia Knight is a bright young witch born into a...
3.8K 73 6
𝑅𝑒𝑔𝑢𝑙𝑢𝑠 𝐵𝑙𝑎𝑐𝑘 𝑥 𝐹𝑒𝑚𝑎𝑙𝑒 𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑑𝑒𝑟 Y/n's family moved to England when she was little, and in desperate need of someone to talk to...