The Wolf of Mars

By JudeArmas

For generations, the Wolf of Mars forever stood as the vanguard of the Twelfth Legion. Selected from the des... More

Brief Overview
A Matter of Time
Conquer or Die

Rude Awakenings

17 0 0
By JudeArmas

Of course there were better ways to wake up too since he awoke to a bitter and putrid scent. It felt like it was penetrating his brain and Cole grimaced, groaning, "Ugh. Get that out of my face," but his voice seemed incapable of words as his throat grinded and strained, and an unintelligible grumbling came back to his ears. It sounded like a cat was dying, but all things considered, it was probably half true.

But thankfully it got the smelling salts away from his nose as a voice greeted, "Welcome back to the land of the living, Cole!" But living was the last thing he felt since it felt like his body was mashed into mush and set on fire. Still Cole groaned and sat up in his hospital bed, feeling thankfully warm for the first time in what felt like months.

"Here drink this," the voice said, grabbing Cole's wrist to guide him to a smooth glass. Humming in thanks, Cole shakily brought the cup to his lips and drank its contents, feeling the blissfully cool liquid quench his fire. The feeling traveled around his body, washing away his pain and ache, and Cole felt his world sharpen once more.

Licking his parched lips, Cole nodded in thanks and cleared his throat before saying, "Thanks, George." The camp doctor, clad in a lab coat over his turquoise scrubs, smiled and took the empty glass from him, "De nada, Cole. You certainly went through the grinder, didn't you? You've been in a coman for about...two days."

On the lapel of his coat, the centurion badge shone proudly, marking him as one of two leaders within his cohort. The Fourth Cohort or the medical division. While most legionnaires were capable in first aid, it was the Fourth Cohort that were specifically trained to be field medics and doctors.

George Santiago was a proud example of this practice as a legacy of Apollo. If there was an ailment, he could find it without difficultly. Luckily for him, finding Cole's was about as easy as finding a hay in a hay stack.

Tucking a pen behind his ear, George began to rattle off Cole's cracked bones, bacteria infected muscles, and different conditions that ranged from sleep deprivation and exhaustion to mild hypothermia. In summary, he was messed up, but it was nothing that nectar and ambrosia couldn't fix as George handed him another glass with a golden liquid and what looked like a gold brownie.

But before could scarf them down, George grabbed his arm and warned, "You know procedure, Cole. Give the Unicorn drought time to cleanse your body before taking any kind of godly food."

As the foods of the gods, no mortal can ingest Nectar and Ambrosia without burning up, but for legacies and demigods, it is used to heal them...but too much can make them burst into flames. And since Unicorn drought was a handmade medicine, it probably wasn't a good idea to mix the two.

So while Cole sighed and leaned back, George crossed his arms and gave him an appraising smirk. "So what's it like being the new boy prodigy?" That struck a chord in Cole as he chuckled at the title. Boy prodigy? The last person who held that title became praetor. "When did I get that title?"

"Oh don't be so modest," George laughed, slapping him on the shoulder, "You know why." Though it was just a light slap, it sent waves of pain down Cole's frayed nerves and he stifled an urge to groan and instead gave a strained smile. "The boar?"

"Not just any boar, Cole. That was an Erymanthian boar from Hercules legend," George explained, "You know? The one of the monsters that only the greatest hero of all time could beat?" Honestly, no Cole didn't know because myth and legends was never his strongest suit. All he was concerned about was if it was a monster and if he could kill it.

"And not only did you beat," George continued with his smile growing wider, "but you beat it bare handed! Who even does that?" Taking a bite of ambrosia, Cole muttered, "Knowing you, you would have just crapped yourself and called it a day." It tasted like his mom's casava cake and filled Cole with a warm, fuzzy feeling.

Since his desire to stay within the camp was no mystery, George rolled his eyes and smirked, "Yeah. That's why there's meathead bush wackers like you out there to do all the heavy lifting." After finishing the glass of nectar, Cole felt like his body was wrapped in a warm cocoon, before fading away and leaving him refreshed.

"How are the guards?" Cole wondered, recalling one of them had his ribs caved in by the boar. George waved it off, saying, "Don't worry about those Fifth Cohort losers. Centurion Gwendolyn and Jason Disgrace was in and out before they knew it. You were in a coma. So we actually had to wait for you to wake up, pump you full of antibiotics through the saline drip."

That was certainly news to Cole. The last Cole heard of Jason was before he left for the Wolf house to proceed with his training with Lupa. Jason was supposed to be joining the First Cohort.

Though he had no family ties in New Rome or any letters of recommendation, Jason was still a son of Jupiter and he was practically raised and trained by Lucas Seongju, the Lion of New Rome himself. Getting into the First Cohort was a shoe in. Why did he join the bottom of the barrel?

"Just a waste of talent if you ask me," George sighed, writing something down on his clipboard. Cole just shrugged. "Oh I don't know. He might just turn those losers into winners, if you give him a chance." George didn't look so convinced, but he didn't have faith in Jason's potential like Cole.

"So where's Auger Chen?" Cole wondered, swinging his legs over the side of his bed, "Did she come to visit already in my sleep or what?" He kind of hoped that his big sis would be around when he woke up, but she was the auger after all. She was a very busy person. Giving auguries to questers and generally freaking them out and scaring them.

But a look suddenly crossed George's face that could probably pass as pity before saying, "Oh. Right. Ummm," scratching his head and looking uncomfortable. Cole smirked and stretched his healed muscles, "Don't tell me that workaholic is still giving Auguries this close to the Feast of Fortuna."

But George didn't say anything and just patted him on the shoulder. "Umm... Cole? You should go see the Praetor now for your evaluation." But Cole shrugged off his hand, questioning, "What? Why? What happened? Is Chen okay?" A worm of doubt began to wiggle at the bottom of his gut as something began to rise in the air.

"You might want to sit down for this, Cole," George replied, trying to take Cole's arm to lead him to a chair, but Cole batted his hands away, snapping, "Stop beating around the bush and tell me!" The doctor raised his hands defensively as if to calm a wild horse, saying, "Whoa Cole. Calm down. Please."

The gesture had some effect on Cole, but it didn't settle the rising tension in his chest. "What happened to my big sister?" Cole questioned once more and George relented. "I'm sorry to be the one to break this to you but..." George took a deep breath and sighed, "Chen Mei has... passed away."

And just like that Cole felt like his world shifted violently underneath his feet. Every step he has been taking was just to see the proud look on his big sister's face, but now... he'll never get to see it again.

Suddenly a smile broke out on Cole's face as he burst into peals of laughter. "Good one!" he praised, slapping George's shoulder, "No really good one, George! You almost got me there. Did big sis put you up to it?" But George didn't join him laughing and didn't say anything with a stupid look on his face.

"Come on, George. Lighten up!" Cole urged between fits of laughter, slapping him again on the shoulder with enough force to make him stumble, "I said it's a good joke. You didn't get me, but it's a good joke." "Cole..." George slowly began, gravely stressing the words, "I'm sorry, but Chen...is gone."

Cole shook his head, denying this prank gone wrong. "Yeah, I get it yeah. Let me guess, Chen his hiding behind that door waiting for me to burst into tears and then she's going to pop out and go, just kidding!" Then Cole began to mockingly cry, making his best weepy face, jokingly going, "Oh no! Big sis Chen died because her little brother wasn't around. It's all my fault! Boo hoo!"

But nothing happened and Cole nervously chuckled, staring at the door, before calling out, "That's your cue, sis! Come on out and say its just a joke," then he turned to George, who couldn't even look him in the eye, "Come on, George. Call her out. Say its just a joke," Cole then nudged him, smiling thinly at him, "Come on, George. Say it's a joke."

Then all of a sudden, something snapped inside of Cole as he grabbed George by the lapels of his coat and yanked him down to his knees with surprising strength. His dark eyes flared into a raging glare as he roared furiously, "I SAID SAY IT'S A JOKE, GEORGE! JUST SAY IT! SAY IT NOW OR I SWEAR I WILL REACH DOWN YOUR THROAT AND RIP YOUR LYING TONGUE OUT!"

George grabbed Cole's iron-like forearms, but didn't try to escape and instead insisting, "Cole! She's dead! Chen died three days ago last night. I'm sorry!" Cole winced as if struck, feeling his heart strain, and screamed, "SHUT UP!" and he shoved George out of the way.

Nurses quickly came in amongst the noise, but stopped in their tracks as they came face to face with a pissed off demigod with wisps of smoke curling from his eyes. "MOVE!" he roared angrily and they happily obliged, pressing themselves against the wall as Cole stormed past, practically kicking the door down in his rage.

George was lying. This was just an elaborate joke. It was always a joke for Chen and she always took it too far. All Cole had to do was go to the Temple of Jupiter, find Chen and promptly body slam her for this pain that was ripping through him. So he ran.

Cole's feet thundered down the road as he ran straight towards Temple Hill. Past all of the temples of the gods, all the shocked bystanders, and straight for the Temple of Jupiter and all its glory. Jumping up the steps three at a time, Cole entered the temple, searching for his big sis, but all he could see was the gigantic statue of Jupiter.

Breathing heavily, Cole cupped his hands over his mouth and bellowed, "HEY! BIG SIS! CHEN!? HA! WHERE ARE YOU!?" But only his voice echoing back at him answered back while the statue of Jupiter stared down at him with its stern face as if frowning disapprovingly at him.

Then he flopped his hands on his sides, feeling emptier than before while he weakly called out, "Chen?" "Cole?" a voice wondered behind him and Cole nearly jumped out of his skin. "SIS!?" Cole beamed with a wide smile, but it was short lived as he came face to face with a golden armored legionnaire.

Cole almost mistook her for a model for a painting. Her narrow face and close-set eyes, her thin eyebrows and high cheekbones were ideal of Japanese beauty. A purple cloak was adorned over armor and held up by the eagle Praetor medal.

Realizing he probably just disturbed her prayer, Cole respectfully bowed. "Praetor Okuta! I'm sorry for disturbing you. I was just looking for..."

"...Chen?" the Praetor finished for him as her eyes became guarded and sullen, "Shouldn't you be looking after yourself?" giving his torn and dirty clothing a stare down, "You look like you've been through hell." Realizing the state of his clothing, Cole stared down at himself and chuckled, "and yet I'm back. Where's Chen?"

Praetor Okuta had to know after all and to his relief, she nodded. "Of course, Cole. Come with me," and without saying another word, she started walking away with Cole following closely at her heels.

They walked in silence for a while because of many reasons. One being that Okuta was notoriously serious with an air of authority and power that was almost palpable.

At the age of twenty-two, Okuta was the most senior legionnaire in the Twelfth Legion and carried herself with the respect and fear she demanded, not caring which she got, because what she gave was results. It was cold and ruthless, but they were results.

She was second only to the Lion of New Rome, but while Lucas was something to respect, Okuta was something to fear ever since she claimed the second highest confirmed kill count in the legion. The only feat that the current Lion hasn't claimed yet. The only person that she is second to the last Lion of New Rome.

"How was the journey from the Wolf House?" Okuta suddenly asked, making Cole jump. Not really expecting her to make small talk. "Ummm yeah. It was fine. Felt just like a stroll through the fields of punishment," Cole joked lightly, but Okuta didn't smile. Just stoically replying, "Sounds like a normal day for you then."

What was normal for a legionnaire these days? But Cole decided not to voice that and just followed the praetor to the Villa Principe. The building was as grand as ever and as imposing as those deemed worthy to command from it, but it was different since he last saw it. Black armored guards in purple cloaks stood ready like statues, their faces hidden behind faceless metal masks. "Who are they?" he asked, eyeing them carefully.

"Cream of the crop," Okuta simply answered, patting one of them on the shoulder, "The best of the best from each cohort, retrained to be even better. To be..." then a shadow of a smile played on Okuta's lips, "Praetorian." Cole's eyes widened at the sound of that legendary guards of Rome. "W-why?" Cole wondered, following Okuta through the double doors.

The building was as grand and imposing as those deemed worthy to command from it. Going through massive double doors into the vaulting and magnificent roman architecture inside. "Because a lot has changed in the few months you were away training to be the next in line of your family," Okuta answered, opening the door to her office, "The winds of change are coming, Cole, whether you like it or not, and that wind came a few nights ago."

Then as Cole entered Praetor's office, he looked around the rather Spartan room, kept pristine and orderly. A giant bronze metal statue of a perfect man behind the praetor's chair that was sculpted to such perfection that it almost looked life-like. It look ready to just start moving without a second thought.

The other dominating object in the room was a wooden desk ...with an urn placed on top of it. It was a simple golden urn, decorated with depictions of the God of Rainbows, Arcus, carrying her fallen child to Mount Olympus with an inscription engraved around the lip.

Requiescat in pace, Chen Mei of House Claudia. Beloved child of Arcus. Brilliant First Cohort Centurion. Wise Auger of the Twelfth Legion.

Cole stumbled, feeling as if he missed a step, and his heart leapt into his throat. Ice  flushed into his veins, leaving him frozen in place and staring numbly at the urn. But Praetor Okuta impatiently pushed Cole inside, snapping, "Sit down, Cole. We have much to discuss." He stumbled, confused and lost, as his legs felt as heavy as lead, dragging his feet towards the nearest chair.

"Th-this can't be real," Cole begged, collapsing into the chair, "H-how is this possible? What quest did she go on?" "She wasn't on a quest," Okuta answered with a sigh, collapsing in her praetor chair and leaned back. And before Cole's eyes, it was like the praetor aged twenty years in a second as she gently took the urn and cradled it on her lap.

Clearing her throat with a cough, Okuta firmly said, "She was assassinated. Here. In the heart of New Rome." His heart began to race in his chest and his mind reeled in shock. "W-what do you mean she was ASSASSINATED!?" he thundered, slamming his fist on the heavy oak table.

The moment he did however, black armored Praetorians stormed into the room with their pilum spears instantly leveled at Cole's chest. But Praetor Okuta waved them off with a mere gesture and they stood down. Once again standing ready for orders. They were well trained.

"She was killed several days ago," Okuta answered, her voice tight and tense as she recounted the details in the report. Knowing Okuta trusted Chen almost as much as her own boyfriend, Cole calmed down a bit and tried to keep a lid on his emotions.

The Praetor's eyes brimmed with tears, but her sheer Will kept them from falling as she maintained her stoic façade. Drumming his fingers on the desk, Cole focused on the urn while tears silently fell from his eyes. "What happened?" he questioned gruffly, "How was she killed in the middle of New Rome inside of the Pomerian line surrounded by the Twelfth Legion?"

Okuta shrugged, caressing the urn of her dear friend, "We don't know, but here's what we do know," reaching into a drawer, Okuta pushed a manila envelope across the desk and Cole snatched it, flipping it open to read the investigation report.

His mind automatically translated the Latin words as they described a grisly scene through his teary vision. A monster couldn't have done it. It wouldn't be able to make a mile towards the Pomerian line without being stopped, checked, and blasted into oblivion by Terminus. Let alone make it past him. So it had to be a legacy or a demigod.

But how could anyone do this? Chen had no enemies. She was trained to be a warrior, but at heart, she was a peacemaker. That's why she was an ideal auger. But being a peacemaker didn't make her defenseless. Chen was a demigod of Arcus and a centurion on top of that. A battle hardened veteran with martial skill.

There weren't many could beat Chen in a one-on-one match, let alone unarmed. Yet they did and threw her out of her own window. Cole couldn't even bring himself to read the autopsy reports and just shut it.

"H-how," Cole faltered, "Who can do something like this?" Gently placing the urn back on her desk, Okuta slumped into her chair as if the weight of the world were on her shoulders. "A professional obviously," she replied, "Not even Terminus detected him. He just vanished into thin air."

Clenching his hands, Cole felt weak and useless. This wasn't even a day ago when he got back. If Cole was just a bit faster. Just a little bit more then he would have made it.

If he hadn't stopped. If he had only just powered through. Cole would have been here in Camp Jupiter to protect his big sister. Except he wasn't. Before tears could take him, his rage flared and evaporated them.

Standing up quickly and knocking his chair to the ground, Cole roared, "But you were here! The so called 'best' were HERE! What were you doing!? Huh!?" jabbing a finger into the Praetorian's chest plate, while they stood stone still like statues, "Were you just sitting around with your thumbs shoved up your asses!? HUH!? Why did an Auger die on your watch!?"

"It's not their fault, Cole. The Praetorians just recently finished their retraining," Okuta firmly told him and Cole spun to face her with hot tears trailing down his face. "Then whose is it!? Huh!? Terminus? The gods? Who!?" Without blinking or hesitating, Okuta answered, "Mine. It was my fault." Her confession caught him by surprise and Cole hesitated as Okuta explained, "I was... careless and let a multitude of potential enemies within our gates."

"The assassin could be anybody. A grecus from the Greek Quarter, a rival within the senate, or even another legionnaire," the praetor mused, drumming her fingers on the desk, "Most recent being Cleophee the Egyptian Magician in prison." Egyptian? Wiping his face, Cole frowned, panting, "What?"

Okuta shifted in her chair uneasily before standing up, walking towards the map on her wall. "Yes. Possibly the last of her kind unlike the Greek demigods who long faded from this world." due to the Demigod Civil war where the Romans wiped out the Greeks once and for all. Cole knew his history lessons.

"Why? Why is she here if this magician is such a security risk?" Cole questioned and Praetor Okuta sighed in response. "Praetor Lucas brought her as a prisoner during a quest to eliminate her. She was causing trouble in Arizona, turning our questers mad, and on some cases, killing them. We don't know the extent of her magical abilities, but it isn't impossible that she summoned something here to kill Chen."

There were too many. Too many suspects and so little time, but what could he do? When Okuta touched him on the shoulder, Cole realized that he was trembling and let go of his clenched hands, but the tension inside of his chest didn't go away.

With surprising softness, Okuta guided Cole back to his chair and sat him down, kneeling down to his level. Okuta rubbed his back and solemnly promised, "I swear we will do whatever is necessary to find her kill and ensure that something like this will never happen."

Reassurance isn't something Okuta was known for. Her face was stoic, but her mouth was set in a determined line and conviction burned her hazel eyes. If anyone can do it, it would be Okuta. He could see she was already taking charge by creating the Praetorians. "I just need you to trust me, Cole. Trust me and my Praetorians."

"I trust you," Cole replied hoarsely, feeling his shoulders slump from the weight of Chen's death, "Just promise me something," then black wisps of smoke began to curl from his eyes as they softly glowed like burning embers, "When you find the person responsible, tell me. So I can kill them myself."

Okuta merely nodded, satisfied with the conviction burning in his eyes, and stood up, curtly snapping, "Very well. As for your evaluation, Praetorians, leave us." Having stood so quietly and still, Cole had completely forgotten that they were there and watched them go without another word.

"What you displayed against the Erymanthian boar was accredited to your bloodline and family name," Okuta praised, speaking of how news of his budding power was a breath of fresh air amidst this bad news. But all Cole felt was a hole in his heart as if a piece of him just went missing.

He should feel proud for not many are able to kill a monster with their bare hands, but how can he feel proud when the one person he wanted to share it with wasn't here?

But what brought him back was the fluttering of a sheet of paper being pushed across the desk towards him and Cole looked up.

Written in golden elegant letters, it read, 'With the power vested in me, Praetor of the Twelfth Legion Fulminata, I, Okuta Bian of House Julia, hereby recommends Coleton Turalba of House Drake into any cohort of his choosing and accepts him into the legion with full benefits.' Then written at the bottom in Post Script, 'P.S He eliminated a Erymanthian boar bare handed.'

This was more than just a letter of recommendation. This letter granted him full legionnaire status, bypassing the probatio status he'd have to serve as. At the bottom was Okuta's signature, her name written in elegant Japanese characters, and his own name, left blank.

"Chen would have wanted you to have this option," Okuta told him as Cole took the letter to reread its contents, "So if she can't give it to you then I would and more... it's... it's the least I can do for you..." Then Okuta stared forlornly at the urn, "and for her." Wiping his eyes, Cole gritted his teeth, controlling himself, and muttered, "Thank you. I won't squander it."

The moment he signed his name, Cole became a step closer. A step closer to his dream of becoming a Praetor, but for some reason, the only thing Cole was wish for was for his big sister to be around to witness it. "So what now?" Cole asked, pushing the letter back, and Okuta shrugged. "Go home. Be with your mom and sister. They're waiting for you."

Mom. Gods, Cole can only imagine the pain she was going through and he quickly stood up. "Thank you, Praetor. For...everything," and he bowed as the Praetor returned it with a slight incline of her head. "I will announce your recommendation during the Feast of Fortuna," she assured him, taking the letter and returning it to her desk "Don't worry."

Then as Cole opened the door to leave, Okuta suddenly called out, "And Cole?" Cole stopped and turned to face Okuta as she rested her head on her hand. "Yes, ma'am?" She sighed heavily as if she couldn't believe what she was saying. "If you see Lucas. Tell him to come home."

The confusion that crossed Cole's face wasn't subtle as Okuta just waved his oncoming question, merely adding, "He's been acting strange lately and I worry for him." There was a sadness in Okuta's bright eyes that only hinted at the hurt inside. Did they have a falling out? "If I see him along the way, then I will," Cole assured and Okuta nodded and leaned back in her chair, declining from speaking further.

As Cole left, he wondered if they had an argument or something. Praetors have to work together for the good of Camp Jupiter. If they're clashing, then that can only mean bad news.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

56 5 2
Rome and Athens are named after two cities of two different countries. Similar to Rick Riordan's series, Heroes Of Olympus. Two camps are at war, th...
398K 6.2K 32
Perseus Jackson. Recognise that name? He used to be a hero. Fantastic demigod he used to be. Son of Poseidon? Until he got betrayed. He no longer h...
108K 1.5K 31
Percy and Annabeth; in Tartarus. Gaea; on the brink of consciousness. Camp Half-Blood; in ruins. What are they gonna do now? After Percy...
3.1K 83 60
Twelve years after the war against Gaia, the Seven of the Prophecy and their friends settled down, studied, took on new jobs and started families. Ho...