The Life We Once Knew

By fables_fables

Amelia McCartney found the cure for loneliness. She found love in a place where love couldn't be found. She i... More

Let It Be
Rebel Down
Eleanor Rigby
We're On The Road Again
Back in Hamburg
Japan
In Which Miscommunication Gets Us Again
Like A Thief In The Night
It'll Be Better In America
Tug of War
Not The Last Show
Get Back
Paul?
All Things Must Pass
Thunder, Lightning, Rain, and Clouds
Salt and Pepper?
The Storm Blows In
When I'm Sixty-Four
A Birthday and An Anniversary
I Love My Friends, Mostly
I Met You, Loved You, Lost You, Repeat
They Are Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
I'm Running on Spite and Fury
The Fools in The Trees
Being Selfish Feat. My Embarrassed Friends
Here Today
A Drink To A Lost Friend
The Fool In London
Roll Up! Roll Up!
One Failure, One Success
What Happened to Paul McCartney?
Knock Knock, Get The Door, It's Depression
I Should've Stayed in Bed
How To Fake Divinity
Nothing You Can Do That Can't Be Done
Nowhere You Can Be That Isn't Where You're Meant To Be
It's Easy
Storms Over Sanity
That Artsy Fartsy Woman He Loves
Her Majesty's A Really Nice Girl
When In Doubt, Drink
Scotland Farm
Loneliness Doesn't Last
Hey Guys, I'm Really Trying
Life Is Very Short
Cupid Screwed Up
Ad Hoc, Ad Loc and Quid Pro Qou!
Didn't See That Coming (Yes I Did)
The First Divorce
Where's My Epic Background Music?
Don't Let Me Down
Wedding Bells Are Ringing
All We Are Saying
The Break in The Storm
And In The End
A Light In The Darkness
Return of McBeardy
Ten Good Years
While The World Gently Weeps
The Day The Music Died
The Dusk

Face It, You're Old

161 7 1
By fables_fables

I still couldn't quite grasp the idea of my little brother getting married. Every time I looked at Michael, all I could see was that little boy who hated wearing diapers. The boy who would rather fling his food at his siblings than eat it. He was the little boy I had watch go from diapers to walking and, finally, to getting married.

"It seems like just yesterday he was toddling around," I huffed.

Paul lifted an eyebrow, "How can you remember that? You were two."

"I happen to have an excellent memory, Paul."

"You barely remember what you had for breakfast, let alone what happened when you were two."

I pointed at him, "Alright, you cheeky shit."

Paul laughed and slung an arm around my shoulders. The two of us were in the hall of the church, waiting for the bride and groom. Paul was Michael's best man while I was simply a bridesmaid. Vera was the flower girl, and she looked absolutely adorable in her lilac dress. What made it even better was how many times she had taken it off and cried whenever I put it back on. She might not be blood related to me, but you would never know based on her actions. She was a drummer at heart, a rebel skin-deep, and a all-around insomniac. 

"The point is, Mikey's gettin' married," I sighed, "And we're gettin' old."

Paul shook his head, "You're one to talk. I'm older than the lot of you."

"I'm old but you're ancient."

"That just makes me wiser."

I rolled my eyes, making him laugh. A few moments later, Michael stepped out. His black suit was perfectly ironed, not a single wrinkle was in sight. A pink flower stuck out of his buttonhole. Despite his perfect suit, his tie was a wreck. It was stuck out in all directions and tied crookedly. Even his hair was combed in the opposite direction than it should be.

"Christ, Mikey, did Da not teach you how to tie a tie?" Paul asked.

He stepped forward and began to fiddle with Michael's tie. Michael wrung his hands together, "I'm too nervous to tie it right."

"You were alright a few minutes ago," I commented, "What got you strung up now?"

Michael gulped, "I'm getting married in fifteen minutes."

"You're just now realizing this?"

"Lia, not helping," Paul replied, "Mikey, gettin' married is nothin' to be afraid of. It's going to be brilliant, you know."

Michael frowned, "What if I trip? What if I stutter? What if this is all a mistake?"

"It's not a mistake," I argued, "You love her, don'tcha?"

"Course."

"Then, it's not a mistake."

"As for you," Paul continued, "You never trip over your words, Mikey. You'll be the greatest groom in all of Liverpool."

"You're obligated to say that," Michael replied.

Paul smiled, "Am I?"

"You're my brother and my best man, course you are."

"Well, I'm neither, and I say you are the greatest, Mikey, you'll do great," I patted his shoulder.

He glanced at me, "You're my sister, you're-"

"Bloody hell, will you take the compliment?"

Michael shut his mouth and nodded. Paul laughed, grabbing Michael's shoulders, "Mikey, listen. What's got you tied up is not the getting married part, it's the wedding. It's like stage anxiety, you know? Just gotta picture the audience in their knickers and you'll be alright."

"Kinda difficult when he's related to half of them," I replied.

"Bugger off, Lia."

I giggled. Michael cracked a smile, his hands slowly stopping their shaking. That all changed when the door to the church opened and Dad appeared. He walked in with a proud smile I once thought I would never see. When he looked at his youngest child, the first to be married, every wrinkle on his face shone with pure pride. I could already see tears waiting for the perfect moment to fall. He would be the first to cry, I'm sure of it. If not him, then Mikey. 

"Ready, Michael?" Dad asked.

Michael wrung his hands together, "I s'pose so."

"Don't worry," Dad placed his hands on Michael's shoulders, "Just picture the audience in their knickers."

"That's what we said," Paul added.

Dad smiled, "Getting married is a wonderful experience. The nerves are just a part of it."

"Thanks, Da," Michael grinned.

"Come on. Let's not keep them waiting."

When Michael spun around, Dad turned to wink at us. Paul and I grinned, watching them step out of the door and into the church. As the doors swung open, we could see the long lines of people. On one side was The McCartney clan and all their friends. On the other was Angela's family. Both sides looked just as excited and just as nervous. A few people even cried.

"Think Mikey'll cry?" I asked.

Paul snorted, "There's no doubt."

The rest of the wedding party stepped out moments later. Vera came out holding Angela's hand. She had been determined to watch Angela get ready. I stepped up and grinned, "You look lovely, Angela."

"Thanks," Angela blushed.

Her dress wasn't anything spectacular. It barely fell below her knees. Really, it was more like a mini skirt than a dress. Her veil barely touched her shoulders and her sleeves were filled with so many holes, they were practically non-existent. The lace sleeves only added to the beauty, and the pearls in her hair made her look like a natural born princess.

"After this day, you'll be a McCartney and I can call you my sister," I grinned, "Can't tell you how happy that makes me."

Angela blushed harder. Paul came up behind me and smirked, "Don't go scaring her off, Lia."

"I'm not. I'm just sayin' it's about time we had another girl in the family. The testosterone is almost overwhelming."

Paul rolled his eyes and playfully shoved my shoulder. I chuckled just as we were called to our spots. Paul took the arm of the maid of honor and stood just in front of Angela and her Dad. I grabbed Vera's hand and led her to the front of the procession where a little boy waited.

"Alright, Junior, you ready to play flower girl?" I asked.

Vera gripped my hand, "I wanna go out with you."

"Don't worry, we won't be apart for long," I smiled, "I'll come just behind you."

"I'm scared."

I ruffled her hair, "There's nothing to be afraid of. You'll step out of those doors looking like the princess everyone knows you are. Just remember to drop the flowers."

"Where will you be?" she asked, her lip trembling.

I pointed to the back, "Just behind you. If it makes you feel any better, Uncle Mikey is waiting outside."

"He is?"

"And so is Grandda."

Vera's face brightened. The prospect of going to family members eased her anxiety. I kissed her forehead and said, "You'll do great, Junior."

Vera nodded. I left her to stand by the ring bearer and found my place. The groomsman I was supposed to walk in with was one of Michael's childhood friends. He and I knew each other fairly well, we had practically grown up with each other. We stood in front of Paul and the maid of honor.

"Don't trip," I whispered, glancing over my shoulder at my brother.

Paul rolled his eyes, "If either of us will trip, it'll be you."

"Says the lad who tripped on stage."

"One time. Once."

I laughed. The doors to the church opened and the procession began. Vera and the ring bearer went out first. For a few steps, everything went alright. I watched as Vera delicately dropped the flowers. Even from the distance, I could see her tiny hands shaking. She glanced up at the altar and saw Dad standing with Michael. They smiled at her, but she didn't notice. As she passed the middle of the aisle, she saw Jane and Linda sitting at the end of the front pew. Her eyes locked on the redhead and she smiled. Halfway through the ceremony, she dumped the entirety of her basket onto the ground, dropped the basket, and rushed to Jane. She practically collided with Jane as the entire crowd laughed. I didn't have to get closer to see she was crying.

"Oh, Junior," I sighed as we came closer to the altar.

Michael glanced at Vera with worry. Jane held up her thumb, telling both of us that Vera was alright. I glanced back to see Angela was laughing. Vera's little breakdown didn't mess up the wedding. The wedding was alright, but I was worried about Vera.

As the wedding party lined up along the altar, my eyes were locked on Vera. Jane had her cradled in her arms and was whispering in her ear. She wasn't crying anymore, but she didn't seem alright. I felt bad for making her do this. Jane caught my eyes and smiled, reassuring me that Vera was alright.

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to join together Michael McCartney and Angela Fishwick in holy matrimony," the pastor said.

All of us stood as the vows were exchanged. Michael looked at Angela with the same look I saw Paul give Linda, or George give Pattie, or Ringo give Maureen. I'm sure I gave Jane the same look. It was a look of complete adoration, one which tied the two people together through a concept known as love.

"You may kiss the bride."

Michael was always one for dramatics. He grabbed Angela and dipped her. She was shocked at first but melted into the kiss. It lasted much longer than it should, causing me to clear my throat, "Alright, Mikey, save it for later."

Both Michael and Angela blushed whenever they stood back up. They grinned and began to rush down the aisle, waving at the crowds and laughing the entire way. Everybody threw rice and a few matchboxes. As soon as they were gone, it was time to move onto the reception.

"Oh, Junior, I'm sorry," I said as I sat next to Jane and Vera.

Linda had already gone to find Paul, nodding at me as she did so. Vera crawled into my lap. She didn't say anything, but she didn't have to. Jane rested a hand on her back, "She didn't like having all eyes on her."

"That's odd," I grinned, "You always captivate the attention of everyone, Vera."

"I got scared," she mumbled.

I kissed the top of her head, "It's alright, junior, everybody gets scared once in a while. Comes with being human."

"You're not angry?"

"Why would I be angry?"

Vera played with her fingers, "I was s'posed to go to Uncle Mikey, but I didn't."

"Did anybody get hurt?"

"No."

"Then, there's no reason to be angry."

Vera giggled. She buried her face in my neck, all smiles. Jane chuckled, "You always were good at making others see the bright side."

"Janie, love, my philosophy is there's always a bright side if you look hard enough."

Jane chuckled. The three of us began to make our way over to the reception building. Most of the wedding guests had already arrived along with the entire wedding party. Paul was sitting at the wedding party table with Linda by his side. Linda waved us over.

"You alright, Vera?" Linda asked.

Vera nodded, "I got scared."

"I didn't know little bees could get scared," Paul grinned, "I thought they have more courage than a lion!"

He poked Vera's stomach causing her to giggle. She shoved him off, "Even bees gotta be scared sometimes, Uncle Paulie."

"Right you are, little bee."

Vera giggled. She crawled up into Linda's lap as Jane and I sat next to them. I tugged at the bottom of my dress and huffed, "Can't wait to get this off."

"The reception hasn't even started yet," Jane replied.

"I still can't bloody wait."

Jane chuckled. Food was served and we all dug in. I didn't care much for fish usually, but Michael adored it. He was a natural born Liverpudlian if I ever did see one.

After food, it was time for the cake. We all watched as Angela and Michael cut the first slice. They held up the plate and grinned. Angela looked at Michael mischievously before shoving his face in the cake. All of us laughed.

"Oh, she'll fit in quite nicely," I commented.

Paul grinned, "Did we have any doubts?"

(Photo- The Best Man, Paul McCartney, 1968. Taken by Linda Eastman)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

294K 11.5K 31
🎖️ #13 in Lesbian Love (6/20/2018) *** "Very heart touching and heart wrenching story." "Such an amazing story!" "How endearing!" ______________ Ame...
59.8K 2.6K 77
1958. Liverpool. Molly is the eighteen year old girl next door. A writer. A free spirit. A girl with dreams. Fifteen year old George Harrison, the 'b...
219 7 15
'𝗪𝗮𝘁𝗰𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗴𝗶𝗿𝗹 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗶𝗻 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗯𝗲 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝘀𝗼𝗺𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗲𝗹𝘀𝗲 𝗵𝘂𝗿𝘁𝘀 𝗺𝗼𝗿𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗻 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗸𝗻𝗼𝘄' ...
56.1K 1.9K 155
It started when two best friends met under a blue sky, and it ended with a divorce underneath grey clouds. Sometimes, the loneliest individuals ar...