A Different Kind of Heaven [...

By Silmarilz1701

Official Wattpad Tolkien Fanfic Top ranked #1 in Silmarillion, #1 in Tolkien Top 10 in Silmarillion from 2018... More

A Different Kind of Heaven
Prologue
Chapter 1: The Summons
Chapter 2: The Meeting
Chapter 3: Seven Sons
Chapter 4: How Many Cousins
Chapter 5: The Market
Chapter 6: Constellations
Chapter 7: Plans
Chapter 8: Small Reminders
Chapter 9: Learning Curve
Chapter 10: Above the Waves
Chapter 11: Jewel Shores
Chapter 12: Many Meetings
Chapter 13: Lessons and Memories
Chapter 14: Midnight Serenade
Chapter 15: Who's Who
Chapter 16: The Road Well Travelled
Chapter 18: Horse Racing
Chapter 19: Apples to Apples
Chapter 20: An Archer's Game
Chapter 21: Gardens of Paradise
Chapter 22: Sketches
Chapter 23: Liquid Silver
Chapter 24: Awkward Conversations
Chapter 25: Shut Up and Dance
Chapter 26: Food and Fellowship
Chapter 27: Hey Brother
Chapter 28: All the Emotions
Chapter 29: City of the Gods
Chapter 30: See the Light
Chapter 31: Spinner of Words
Chapter 32: The First Engagement
Epilogue
A Thank You

Chapter 17: The Festival

979 75 109
By Silmarilz1701

They continued south. Minutes faded into hours, hours faded into days. Eve lost track of time other than being sure that five nights had passed. Each day brought more sights. By the sixth travel day, crowds joined them on the road. Tents had been set up along the route, providing shelter and food for the traveling Eldar. Elves of all hair colors were present; Káno took time to point out the Vanyar, Falmari, and Noldor. It was on that sixth evening that they reached the festival grounds.

Thousands of elves meandered about. For children there were haystacks to climb and carts to ride around in. Wine stations, food stalls, and even a giant horse track for racing had been set up. A massive stable had been erected where they left their horses. Together all six elves plus their giant hound wandered around.

"Welcome to the Festival of Yavannië!" Findekáno spread his arms wide and smiled, the sun beating down on his face. He turned back to Eve. "Truly a remarkable time."

"It's so busy!" She watched in awe as laughing elves formed groups on the grass, some dancing and singing, others eating and drinking. "Where are we going?"

Tyelko pointed to an area at the edge of the crowds to the east. "To find an open spot."

They walked for another half hour before finding a spot beneath a small patch of trees. Tyelko and Moryo produced blankets from a large pack and tossed them around. Eve took a silver and purple one, laying it down near the first tree. She sat down on it, a small smile on her face. She saw the day fading and the silver of night she had begun to grow used to taking its place. Eve watched the sky sparkle with tiny white stars.

"We should go find food for dinner," Moryo said to his brothers, his arms crossed in annoyance. "I am starving."

Nelyo chuckled. "You are not starving."

"I am getting food." He stuck his nose higher in the air. "Come if you wish. I do not care." He stalked off back to where the food stalls had been set up.

"I'm gonna stay here I think," Eve told them. "I can watch Huan, if you bring me back something."

Tyelko cracked a smile. "You need to stop stealing my dog."

"Well then get me a cat." Eve smirked back at him as Huan walked and curled up behind her. She let herself fall back onto the gigantic hound. "And besides. He likes me."

"You can stay here, then. Keep our spot." Nelyo looked around at his brothers and cousin. "Anyone else staying?"

"I will keep Eve company here," Findekáno nodded. He looked at the woman and the dog. "Perhaps she will talk to me and not just dear Huan."

"Maybe I-," Eve found herself interrupted by a massive yawn. She continued after. "Maybe I will sleep."

In the end, the brothers all hurried to catch up with Moryo who picked his way around sitting and standing groups of elves. As they disappeared from view, Findekáno set about arranging their belongings. Eve stayed quiet, lying back in Huan's warm, furry body. Soon she fell asleep to the rise and fall of his breathing, her eyes closed much to the amusement of Fingon when he went to ask her something.

Once he'd finished organizing their little circle of the world, he sat back against a tree in his own blanket. He placed a hand on Huan's flank and the dog gave a small wag of his tail.

"She is an enigma, Huan," Findekáno murmured. When the dog's tail wagged slightly faster, he chuckled. "It seems you agree with me."

About an hour later, with silver darkness fully fallen, saw the return of the sons of Fëanáro. Seven other elves followed them: Turukáno, Elenwë, Iríssë, Findaráto, Artanis, and two other golden haired elves. Findekáno set his book down and looked at them in surprise.

"Finno!" Iríssë scrambled out of Elenwë's arms and ran to her oldest brother.

"So father let you come?" Findekáno grinned and ruffled her hair as she sat in his lap. Then he looked over at the others. "Is he here?"

Turvo nodded back. "Yes. Father and uncle are both here. They are closer to the fairgrounds. I need to take Iríssë and Artanis back soon."

"So that is the girl?" The shorter of the two golden haired brothers of Findaráto looked at the sleeping Eve closely. "She has taken your dog, Tyelkormo."

"Yes she has," the elf said with a smirk. "Huan enjoys her company."

"And why shouldn't he," Eve smirked, opening her eyes. "I think I'm great company." She pushed herself up so she sat before them. "did you bring me food?"

Moryo tossed her an apple. "Start with that."

"These are my brothers, Aikanáro and Angaráto." Findaráto gestured to the golden haired men. "Aico and Ango respectively."

"Hi!" She waved from her seat on the ground.

They both nodded to her in response. The taller one, his hair of a warmer gold than his siblings, backed up. "I can take the young maidens back to our fathers. I am to find Eldalótë there soon."

Artanis and Iríssë both objected immediately. But Findekáno and Findaráto both folded their arms in unison and the former spoke plainly. "You are wanted back. Head there with Ango."

Artanis narrowed her eyes at her older cousin before Iríssë grabbed her hand and pulled her along. "Come, 'Nis. They will not change their minds."

She muttered something they did not catch before heading off with Angaráto. Aikanáro decided to leave as well. They had wanted to make Eve's acquaintance, but each had places to be. Elenwë sat down beside Eve once Huan got up and joined his master. The other elves broke apart and talked quietly.

"How have you been?" Elenwë's light golden hair fell about her shoulders and swept the ground. "Did you enjoy Alqualondë?"

Eve grinned. "Yeah it was amazing!"

"Good." Elenwë smiled at her. She looked at Eve's hair and leaned in. "You're hair would look nice in a braid. Can I do one for you?"

"Sure!" Eve situated herself to the side.

As Elenwë took Eve's hair in her hands, she quickly and intricately braided. Eve immediately knew Elenwë to be well practiced in this side braid style, for her hands all but flew. The elf maiden tied off Eve's hair at the end with a golden ribbon before plucking a flower from a wreathe she wore around her head. The white blossom fit perfectly in the braid. Elenwë smiled wide.

"Gorgeous, my dear." She clasped her hands together and looked at Eve. "Do you like it?"

Eve felt the braid carefully. "It's awesome!" She paused and giggled. "That means great."

"Awesome," Elenwë tried carefully. "A fitting word." She ran a hand down her own golden hair. "Flowers suit you. We should find you your own flower crown. The maiar of Vána made them especially for the festival." After a quick pause, she turned to Findekáno and Turukáno. "Look at Eve! She is so beautiful."

Turukáno nodded and complemented Elenwë's work. But Finno was, for the first time in perhaps his entire life, struck dumb. Eve was practically glowing with her smile, agreeing quickly with Turvo and showering Elenwë with praise. Findekáno watched her carefully.

A jab in his side tore his attention from her. He whipped around to see a smirking Nelyafinwë sitting next to him. Findekáno rolled his eyes.

"See something you like, Finno?" Nelyo asked nonchalantly. He sat against the same tree as Findekáno, his arm resting on his propped up knee in a leisurely pose.

Findekáno narrowed his eyes but found himself blushing ever so slightly. "Keep your mouth shut, Nelyo. You're better as the tall, silent type."

To that, the redhead laughed aloud and shook his head. He tossed a blueberry into his mouth and shrugged. But Findekáno didn't miss the wink he sent his way.

They continued chatting together for several hours. The stars grew more and more pronounced in the sky above them, and sweet music floated just on the edge of hearing. Soon, as they settled into hushed whispers, Káno took out a blue harp from his large bag. He nodded with a smile as Findaráto took out his own across from him.

Káno started the song, and Findo soon joined in. They composed a melody sweet and light, lilting and airy. Eve found herself entranced as the whole group fell silent. She had never seen Findaráto play the harp. Even accustomed to Káno's playing, she found it bewitching. Soon she found herself drifting to sleep against the tree.

What she guessed to be several hours later, Findekáno roused her. He still sat beside her against the tree, Nelyo on his other side.

"I would not suggest sleeping against a tree," he murmured quietly, keeping his voice low so as not to disturb the others. "Your back will regret it in the morning."

Having fully crawled herself into consciousness, she looked around and noted that of her friends which still remained, they all indeed lay down with open eyes. "Wow you guys look creepy."

Finno almost laughed, but stopped himself. "From your tone, I would guess that creepy is not a compliment."

"No. It means strange in a bad way," she whispered back, facing him with a smile as Finno rolled his eyes goodnaturedly.

"Rest or leave," came Moryo's angry hiss as he rolled over and faced them. His black ponytail covered half his face. "I want to rest and cannot do so with you two chatting." He stared them down for several seconds before rolling back over.

Though Findekáno did not feel the need for rest, he also saw that Eve felt tired. "He is right. Lay down this time, though."

She chuckled quietly and did as she suggested, lying down next to him and using her pack as a pillow. She hugged her stuffed cat close. "Good night."

He whispered back. "Good night."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.5K 228 45
"Mana ve hilyana i eleni?" He asked. What is it like to follow the stars? Born on the shores of Cuiviénen, Calindë, the eldest daughter of Lord Ingw...
690 41 9
Once the darkness rises once more, a girl from the stars is bound to fall. Upon her arrival the One will be revealed and the light will slowly start...
8.9K 633 25
"Few remember the name of the woman recorded in the histories only as 'Fingon's Wife'." Final story in the Airequalmë trilogy. Top ranked #1 in Silma...
226K 9.1K 51
Celebríel is the first-born daughter of Lord Elrond and Lady Celebrían, though her parentage is not easily recognized. Unlike her other siblings, she...