Immortals [Klaus Mikaelson]

By catching_raindrops

Five hundred years ago, an immortal witch fell in love with a temperamental hybrid. It was an unconditional l... More

Author's Promise
Now Available In Spanish!!
Prologue
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51

21

10.5K 275 92
By catching_raindrops

I wake up to a crash. My subconscious doesn't register it at first, but the unfamiliarity of the bed below me and the brightly lit moon shining in from the window wills me to open my eyes.

"Clara!" Klaus bellows from somewhere in the house.

I sit up, fully awake now. There's a minor headache forming from being awoken, but I at least don't feel like I could fall over from exhaustion now.

There is another crash and I jump up to run to the door. I had changed into sweatpants and a t-shirt from my suitcase before falling asleep so I could feel a little less awkward about sleeping in an unfamiliar bed. Klaus promised me it's just a spare bedroom, but it kind of reminds me of the room I had in our home, 500 years ago.

"Niklaus?" I call down the hallway when the sound of fighting stops.

I receive no answer, but as I reach the grand staircase, the sound of hushed whispers echo up to me. I gravitate towards them carefully until all of the sudden, they stop. There's a gush of wind that I recognize as an incoming vampire. The person who appears in front of me is not anyone I would have expected.

"You... you were dead." Elijah Mikaelson breathes, holding a hand up towards me subconsciously.

Klaus appears next to him and I feel myself shrink under their gazes.

"She gets that a lot." Klaus sighs, meeting my eyes with an amused expression.

I instantly try to hide my blush, "I heard my name and fighting. Is everything alright?"

"Um," Elijah hums, putting a hand on his brother's shoulder, "Just a short disagreement. It is... nothing you need to worry about."

I look between the two and smile genuinely. I had been so worried about the Mikaelson's all reuniting, but Elijah is still the man I've always admired. His nobility is dashing, especially in a society that so greatly lacks it.

Before I can ask what they fought about, he takes a few large steps towards me. When we are face to face, he lifts a hand to my cheek, but I flinch away in my not-so-new automatic response to physical touch.

"I'm sorry," he apologizes as soon as it happens. "I think I'm still just a little shocked that you're here. How is it possible?"

"When I die, I come back. That's all I really know for the how part of it. You should both know that I had no idea of any of this when Mikael killed me. I promise."

"I've figured that, Claramay. That or you are a stellar actor." Klaus cuts in, moving to stand by my side.

Elijah stares at him, his expression confused. There's never really been a competition between them for me as far as I know, but I'm sensing some kind of tension right now between them that I can't figure out the reason to.

"What is it, Elijah?" I question, nervously.

His eyes flicker to mine, "To put it frankly, I'm surprised to see you two together."

"And why is that, brother?" Klaus grumbles.

"No reason." He runs a hand through his hair, "I think I need a shower and a haircut. Excuse me."

Elijah turns away from us and heads up the stairs. With him not blocking my view, I see the room that they must have been fighting in as there is glass all over the floor along with a dead hybrid. Beyond that, the coffins where Klaus stores his daggered family are sitting in rows.

"Why did you undagger him and not the others too?"

Klaus follows my gaze to the other coffins, "Damon did it so he could use Elijah's anger against me. Thankfully, the bond of family is stronger."

I narrow my eyes, "Why was he angry, Klaus?"

"Why do you only call me by that name when you are upset with me?"

Our eyes meet and I suddenly know how close he's standing to me. I turn away from him and head towards the staircase that Elijah just wandered up. He follows, but at a greater distance this time.

"It's how I differentiate the Niklaus I once knew and the man you are now." I answer honestly, "I shouldn't pretend you haven't changed, just as I want you to do the same for me."

"Changed in a negative way."

It's not a question, and I really wish it was. I'm not sure why that would make a difference when I wouldn't want to lie to him about how I feel either way. Then again, I'm not really sure what I want from the man before me. Just love? Just closure? I'm lost on how to even begin to decide.

So, I don't say anything. He can read into my silence how he wants to, but I have other things to focus on like Alaric's ring and Elijah coming back. I just know that I care for him deeply, but I can't live the lie that he's not a murderous hybrid king now.

When I reach the room I was in before, Klaus leans against the doorframe while I dig through my suitcase. The sun is only just starting to come up now, which means there is no more time for me to get more sleep. That's alright though, the excitement of getting to see Elijah again will keep me awake for hours.

"I could use some privacy, please." I request of him, "Human and all that right now."

Klaus bobs his head and closes the door for me with him on the outside. He's been uncharacteristically quiet in the last few minutes and I fear that I've overdone it by not denying what he said.

In the bathroom connected to the bedroom, I change into a pair of black leggings and a nice floral blouse that I had forgotten about until I spotted it at the bottom of my bag. It's a bit wrinkled, but I really couldn't care less.

Brushing my teeth, weaving my hair into a French braid and touching up my makeup are all next on my to-do list. When I'm finished, I call to Klaus that I'm done, and the door swings open once more. He has showered and changed clothes in the time that it took me to get ready. I guess I shouldn't be surprised as the sun is now fully raised and I wasn't exactly rushing.

"I like this century on you," he compliments, looking me up and down just as he did an hour or two ago.

I smile politely, "Thank you. I can say the same for you."

His hair was much longer when I knew him, but I adore the short cut he has now. The dark colors of his clothes have always been his preference and it's never bothered me before. With my dark hair, I have to be careful with wearing something I'd blend too well into, so one could say I'm a little jealous.

"Elijah's off to the barber." Klaus tells me when I follow him down the stairs, "Then, he'll give Damon a little push towards getting my last coffin back."

The trashed rooms are all cleaned up now and I wonder when that could have possibly happened. There are maids on the property, but I haven't seen anyone yet.

"You didn't get them all back? Who are you missing?"

I take a step into the room full of caskets and count each one. There are four, which is exactly how many siblings he has. I look at him in question.

"My mother." He reveals.

Klaus doesn't wait around for me to react. Instead, he awkwardly heads into the kitchen area that is just down the hallway. I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to say to him right now. His mother? I know that story quite well and having her body in this time doesn't make any sense.

"Niklaus, don't avoid me." I call to him, "Why is your mother in a coffin?"

I wander down the hallway until I find him sitting on a stool at the island. He has a glass of bourbon in his hand even though I'm sure it's not even noon yet. Then again, time is kind of irrelevant to people like us.

With a working kitchen in front of me, my stomach growls in annoyance as I haven't eaten anything since being at Alaric's apartment. I open and close the cupboards for a snack and settle on toast and coffee. Klaus doesn't look at me, but I'm sure he knows I appreciate the thought of having actual food in the house while I'm here.

Now that I have breakfast in the works, I lean against the counter where he sits. His eyes stay down, and his hands clasped together on the cold granite.

"Niklaus," I breathe, putting a hand over his, "I know what happened to her. It's alright."

He finally looks up at me, his eyes red with him trying to contain his emotions. As normal as this feels for us, I keep having to remind myself that we aren't the same couple we once were.

"I don't think you do." he mumbles.

"I do, and I understand. She turned you into vampires, Nik. You were angry at her for that and for not protecting you from Mikael. You were still a kid; you just made a mistake."

I wrap my arms around him sideways and put my head on his shoulder. I've forgotten how breakable he is, especially when it comes to his family.

"We will get her back." a new voice says and we both turn to see Elijah standing quietly in the doorway. "The Salvatore brothers will be joining us tonight to negotiate a truce."

He's in a new suit with a fresh haircut. I straighten up to look at him, but he's focused on Klaus. I nudge him and he meets my gaze but doesn't say a word.

"That sounds miserable, but alright." I mumble to him.

Klaus rolls his eyes at the sarcasm and stands from his seat. He appears by the coffee pot, pouring me a cup and grabbing the toast from the toaster to place in front of me. I just stare at him now, confused.

"Niklaus, they would like an audience." Elijah tries again, "I thought you would be happy."

Elijah takes a few steps forward and puts his hands on the chair his brother was once occupying. I sip my coffee, grateful to have the caffeine it provides.

"It's nothing more than a distraction, Elijah." Klaus laughs, mockingly, "I told you we are past negotiations. If they don't give me that coffin, then I'll-"

I interrupt him, "The threats are growing old, Klaus. Maybe Elijah is right, just ask them what they want and go from there."

"Clara, if I wanted your opinion, I would have asked for it." He snaps, his voice loud and angry.

I suck in a breath. This behavior stems from the name I chose to call him. It doesn't matter, though, as I was already getting tired of his violent warnings to whomever threatens him. It's not helpful, but he feels that it's necessary for some reason.

Klaus knows he's gone too far by yelling at me, but I'm only annoyed and not really hurt by it. He looks at the floor, obviously trying to compose himself. Elijah looks between us with an uncertain countenance.

"Claramay, I didn't mean that." he apologizes.

"Yeah, I know." I phrase carefully.

He doesn't bother sticking around now that I'm not interested in talking with him anymore. Elijah takes a seat on the stool, allowing me to eat before starting up a conversation.

"I guess I shouldn't be surprised by how you two act around each other, but I am." He cautions.

I breathe deeply before taking on the topic, "I know, Elijah, but we are different people now. He's different."

"So are you." he interjects, gesturing to me with his intertwined hands. "You've matured. I remember a time when you used to be just as dramatic as he was."

"Yeah, well, I needed to grow up if I wanted to keep the important things in my life."

"Are you saying-"

"Elijah." I stop him, knowing Klaus can hear us.

His lips are parted in realization. I feel his eyes stare daggers in me for more information, but I refuse to make contact with them. This is beyond him and me. This is the reason they all hate me so much.

I turn on the faucet to pretend to clean out my mug and put a finger to my lips to make sure he stays quiet.

"You don't know the whole story." I whisper, "There's so much that him and Rebekah blame me for that they don't understand."

"But, I do, Claramay. I was there, I saw-"

"No. You saw nothing, just as I told you back then. I appreciate you keeping my secret, Elijah, but the past will stay in the past until it is safe for others to know."

"You have to be honest with them eventually."

I close my eyes, my head is starting to ache again, "Please, just let it go."

"Claramay..."

I shut the water off to end the quiet conversation. Elijah wastes no time as he rises from his chair and leaves the room. I'm not really sure what to define the look on his face as, but I can tell he's reached a point beyond annoyance with me. And with the same being said for his brother, I am finally left alone to silently cry.

*******

Chapter 21: 1/15/18 -- 12:50 pm

I was going to put two chapters together, but it was too long. So.. here's both cuz ya'll deserve it.

^^ I bet no one can guess who this is and what movie it's from...

Like and comment please! I absolutely love hearing your feedback!

Mae

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

351K 5.8K 23
Their love is unconditional, bounded by hundreds of years together. An Original vampire and an Original hybrid put together makes the world a dangero...
23.7K 810 11
Stefan Salvatore died right? He found peace that's it. Nope. What if that wasn't what happened? Stefan Salvatore is the man who sacrificed himself a...
2.5M 85.3K 100
In which the original hybrid finds himself falling for an eighteen year old witch with a rather huge and destructive secret. OR In which a cursed wi...
1.4K 3 15
Five hundred years ago, Niklaus Mikaelson created the first hybrid besides himself. She turned out to powerful, even more so than people imagined. Sh...