For Milady

By harrypanther

AU Set during RTTE Season 5. Hiccup and Astrid are now boyfriend/girlfriend but not betrothed yet...and sudde... More

ONE: No Regrets
TWO: Staying on the Edge
FOUR: Betrothed
FIVE: Cast Off
SIX: Arrival
SEVEN: Mixed Reactions
EIGHT: The Invisible Rival
NINE: Friends and Allies
TEN: Changing of the Guard
ELEVEN: New Perspective
TWELVE: Losing no matter what
THIRTEEN: Think Three Times
FOURTEEN: Through the fires
FIFTEEN: Someone to rely on
SIXTEEN: Saved
SEVENTEEN: Consequences
EIGHTEEN: Reactions
NINETEEN: Old Friends
TWENTY: New Purpose
TWENTY ONE: Choices
TWENTY TWO: The Greater Good
TWENTY THREE: On Dragon Wings
TWENTY FOUR: Gone
TWENTY FIVE: The Chief's Guest
TWENTY SIX: Betrayal
TWENTY SEVEN: Leverage
TWENTY EIGHT: The Wedding of Astrid Hofferson
TWENTY NINE: Despair
THIRTY: Time
THIRTY ONE: Reunions
THIRTY-TWO: Heading Home
THIRTY THREE: Repercussions
THIRTY FOUR: Riders of the Edge
THIRTY FIVE: Homecoming
THIRTY SIX: Enemy, my enemy
THIRTY-SEVEN: Accomplice
THIRTY-EIGHT: Ending and Beginning
THIRTY-NINE: Family
FORTY: The Empty Chair
FORTY-ONE: The Return of the Heir
FORTY-TWO: Hope
FORTY THREE: New Understandings
FORTY FOUR: Return to Vanaheim
FORTY FIVE: Losses
FORTY-SIX: Wrecked
FORTY SEVEN: The Fifth Lens
FORTY EIGHT: The Hunt
FORTY-NINE: King and Princess
FIFTY: The Last Hurdle

THREE: Surprises

3K 85 188
By harrypanther

A/N: Okay-a couple of things to clarify. Even the most sensible people can get drunk (especially if you're not used to strong spirits) and disinhibited-and disinhibited Astrid (for example) is very happy and funny and doesn't think at all (see 'The Longest Day'). Young people, disinhibition, being in love can all lead to sex...but when they are themselves again, they will make difference choices. And 'a quiet night in' doesn't alway mean sex and did not in this case (though making out is entirely appropriate).

....

THREE: Surprises

Heather had sent a reply by return of Terror Mail, saying she was on her way to see her friend and Astrid couldn't help but feel excited at the prospect of seeing her best friend once more. Heather was as fierce, independent and focussed as Astrid herself and the two had a mutual understanding once Astrid had realised why Heather had betrayed the riders, back in their youth on Berk. She had often discussed Hiccup with Heather as well and the girl knew full well how much he meant to the Hooligan warrior.

So it was with a light heart she had stood on the landing platform outside the stables as the silver Razowhip screeched and came in to land in the late afternoon, the familiar hooded shape of the raven-haired girl sitting securely on her back. As soon as Windshear landed, Heather had leapt from her back and the two girls had embraced, laughing and talking excitedly. Heather's green eyes had swept over the Edge and a grin had lifted her lips as she saw the charred remains of Snotlout's hut.

"I see the neighbourhood has improved," she laughed as Astrid had joined in.

"You would think we had burnt off 'little Snotlout' with the amount of moaning we've had to endure," she giggled.

"Is everyone okay?" Heather had checked and the blonde had nodded.

"I know Fishlegs will be excited to see you," she admitted and a smile lit Heather's face.

"You know, he's such a nice guy," she admitted. "Even though Dagur can't understand why I like him. But he's so kind and generous...completely unlike my brother. I mean, don't get me wrong...Dagur is trying. He just doesn't have any experience or feel for being supportive. He sometimes looks puzzled when he yells at someone and they get upset by it." Astrid shrugged.

"Well, he's been deranged for so long that trying to act like a normal person is really going to be hard on him," Astrid murmured as they stabled Windshear next to Stormfly and then turned to the Clubhouse. "How's Shattermaster?" Heather sighed.

"He is going to be the fattest, most spoiled Gronckle in the Archipelago," she admitted. "Since he was injured and can no longer fly, Dagur visits him every day, making sure he's got a companion with him and an unlimited supply of granite and sandstone. I think he feels really guilty when he's flying with Sleuther, though he loves having a dragon..." Astrid shrugged.

"They are pretty special...just like to guy who showed us the truth about them," she sighed and Heather slipped her arm through Astrid's.

"So how is he?" she asked, grinning. "When you guys finally made it official, I thought all my Snoggletogs had come at once. You two are perfect together! So-any developments?" Astrid's eyes widened and she stared at her friend.

"What do you mean?' she asked too quickly and Heather's brows quirked.

"Defensive, Astrid?' she teased. "Any news on a betrothal?" Astrid's face fell.

"No," she said, "though we haven't been back to Berk for months, what with dealing with the volcano. I mean, we've finally stabilised it now...but there's a problem. The Hunters are still out there, and more vicious than ever! And Hiccup has been so busy..." Heather frowned.

"But something has happened," she said, not asking a question. "Your reaction told me that!" With a sigh, Astrid nodded. Heather pulled her to one side, shielded behind the huts.

"Okay-spill," she insisted, leaning close. "I'm your best friend and I need to know. What's happened?" Suddenly, the wooden walkway was very interesting as Astrid's cheeks heated with a blush.

"Um...it wasn't really planned...I mean, we must have been complete idiots to touch Spitelout's mead because that stuff can dissolve a mace, honestly...but anyway we all did...and then we raced round the island...and then we went back and..."

Heather squeaked, her eyes round and mouth open.

"Oh my Thor!" she gasped. "You and Hiccup...actually...all the way...?" Astrid nodded.

"Actually more than once," she admitted softly. "Once when we were very, very drunk...and in the morning, when we found out...um...we sort of again..." She blushed more fiercely and Heather suddenly hugged her.

"I'm so happy for you," she whispered.

"I don't regret a second," Astrid told her fiercely.

"How was he?" Heather asked softly and there was a pause as Astrid pulled slightly back.

"You know how he is with dragons?" she asked and her friend nodded. "Well, the same gentle, caring, brave, amazing guy made love to me..." Heather was grinning uncontrollably and hooked her arm through Astrid's, hauling her away to her hut, which they had shared when Heather was part of the Riders.

"You have to tell me everything," she said as they headed along the walkway. Astrid nodded.

"Oh-did you manage to ask your healer if she could get me something for my symptoms?" she asked and Heather nodded. They walked slowly to the hut , arm in arm.

"Yes," Heather said evasively. "So you've had breast soreness for the last month or more, been incredibly tired, a little sick without your usual appetite and constipated." Astroid stared at her.

"I didn't tell you the last one," she said warily as Heather pushed her into the hut and slammed the door.

"When did you sleep with Hiccup?" the raven-haired girl demanded. Astroid stared at her.

"Three months ago," she said.

"And when did you last bleed?" Heather demanded.

"Well I..." she began and opened her mouth...and then stopped. She couldn't recall when. It had always been so busy but she would have noticed if her moon time hadn't come-wouldn't she? She frowned.

"That's not a good sign," Heather told her worriedly and Astrid shook her head.

"I must have and..." she began but blinked. "Two weeks before the mead. That's the last one I remember...but that can't be right? I mean, I'm tired because it's been so hectic. Maybe I haven't because of the stress as well..."

"But you didn't have any problems when we were fighting the Hunters or before?" Heather checked and Astrid shook her head.

"But it was just once! And I'm not being sick all the time..."

"Stina, our Healer, says it's a myth that all pregnant women throw up," she explained, sitting on the bed beside Astrid. "Extreme tiredness and lack of energy are very common. Feeling sick is very common and being sick is also-though not always in the morning, and not every woman has much or any sickness. Breast tenderness, soreness and increased breast size are also symptoms, as are constipation, strange dreams, heartburn and fluid retention." Astrid was shaking her head. "Astrid-you're pregnant." The blonde shook her head urgently.

"But I can't be..." she protested weakly, desperately search her mind for the one image of her dealing with her moon time since they had slept together...and coming up dry. "I mean...I don't look pregnant. I would already, wouldn't I?"

"You wouldn't tell at three months," Heather told her. "And frankly, you are so fit with such toned stomach muscles, I'll bet you could hide a couple more months in there before anyone knew...but it is going to show..." Astrid shook her head desperately.

"I'll go see Gothi," she said wildly. "I need to know. She'll prove you're wrong..." Heather sighed and took her hand.

"I suspect I won't be," she admitted, "but I'll come with you as well." She sighed. "We'll leave first thing in the morning." Astrid shook her head, wildly clawing at the notion that her friend had completely misrepresented her symptoms to her healer.

But Garff had nuzzled her abdomen and purred, even though he had been so severely injured.

"Gothi will show you're wrong," she said firmly. "You'll see."

oOo

The ancient, hunch-backed Healer had been thoughtful and analytic as she had listened to Astrid's tale and Heather's suspicions and then she had examined Astrid from top to toe, including a very thorough examination of her stomach. Finally, she had sat back and scratched her answer in the sand she spread on the floor.

"YOU ARE JUST OVER THREE MONTHS PREGNANT," she had written.

Astrid had collapsed, curling inwards and hands pressed to her face. Heather had rushed to her side, wrapping an arm around her shoulders and trying to comfort her. Slowly, the blonde had looked up, dry-eyed but white, her expression a mixture of fear and trepidation.

"Is...everything alright?" she asked and the old healer had nodded.

"YOU ARE NOT HAPPY?"

It's...a shock," she admitted. "I-I never even thought...I mean, we were drunk and I don't think we took any precautions...but I didn't think it was possible the first time..." Gothi gave a smile, shaking her finger admonishingly and squinted kindly at her.

"ONCE IS ALL IT NEEDS," she wrote. Astrid blinked.

"Oh Thor...I need to tell Hiccup," she murmured and then she shook her head. "No. This is my mess. I can't add to his stress by dumping this on him. I'll deal with it." Heather looked helplessly up at the old woman and Gothi shrugged, leaving the decision to the raven-haired girl.

"Astrid-everyone will know at some point," she pointed out. "I mean, you're slim and at some point, someone will see you putting on weight. From what you said, Snotlout already noticed your chest has changed..."

"Creep," Astrid muttered and Heather smiled, nodding.

"And we'll deal with him for that," she promised. "But how do you think Hiccup would feel if he knew that you were pregnant and he kept it from you? I mean, you told me how upset he was that you had lied to him about me and not told him that I was on your side. And though we both know he's a hopeless liar, he wanted to know. And though I was the one who made you promise not to tell Hiccup, I know how much damage it did to you two. Don't make the same mistake again."

Astrid gave a shuddering sigh.

"You know what the gossips will say, don't you?' she asked darkly. "That I entrapped him. That I deliberately got myself with child to force him to propose and secure myself a good marriage..." Heather snorted in disgust.

"Look, Hiccup has been making puppy eyes at you for as long as I can remember," she reminded her friend. "There is no chance he wouldn't propose, even if you weren't. He's just waiting for the 'perfect' moment. You know how obsessive he gets." Astrid sighed.

"I had to more or less push him into kissing me," she revealed. "He wanted it to be perfect and was hesitating...Thor, I'm going to have to tell him and he'll freak out..." Heather hugged her one-armed.

"You may be surprised," she said softly. "Now-do you want to see your family here?" Astrid shook her head urgently.

"Freya-no!" she muttered. "They would want to know why I came back so urgently to see Gothi and my mother would have a fit when she guessed what had happened. No, I'm better heading back so you can see Fishlegs and I can sit down and try not to freak out Hiccup." She sighed as the old woman gave a gentle smile as she offered the girl a simple draught. "I just hope he doesn't reject me...because I love the doofus with all my heart. This child was made with love and I just hope the Gods allow us the chance to raise him or her together."

oOo

Back on the Edge, Astrid had avoided Hiccup in the Clubhouse, talking to Heather and laughing at her tales of life back on Berserk. The twins and even Snotlout had been clustered around, drinking in the news while Fishlegs sat at her side, holding her hand and smiling. For once, Hiccup was on the periphery and while it was clear he was surprised that he had been shoved to the back, it wasn't the first time it had happened in his life. Quietly, he got up and fetched another tea then quietly offered one to Astrid. She nodded absently then turned back to her friend and after a few moments, she looked up and he was gone.

Heather nudged her and with sigh, Astrid excused herself, going searching for her boyfriend. He had been working on something in his hut intermittently so it wasn't that common when he joined them in the Clubhouse and she was feeling bad about avoiding him. But she was struggling with what to say to him and she wondered if he had picked up on her anxiety. Then she saw his shape, edged by white moonlight as he trudged slightly unevenly back to his hut. Toothless already had to be asleep and she had been away for the best part of two days: he had to be feeling alone.

"Hiccup!" she hissed and there was a pause before he turned to see her, his eyes widening. But he waited for her patiently, a small smile tugging at his lips. "Wait!" He smiled as she reached him and nodded.

"As you wish, Milady," he replied smoothly as she grasped his hand.

"Are you okay?" she asked and he nodded, the smile wavering.

"I wondered if I had upset you in some way," he admitted, his tone concerned. She shook her head urgently and led him to the edge of the platform by the stables, sitting on the edge as they had, all those months earlier when they had declared their love for each other.

"No, no-it's all my fault," she murmured and sat there, staring at the full moon and sighing. There was a sadness and anxiety in her face that had his heart shuddering with worry for her and he grasped her hand reassuringly, feeling her fingers instinctively curl around his.

"Astrid-I don't what's upsetting you...but I know that you are," he said gently. "You know I am here for you-and nothing is going to alter that. Please tell me-because once I know, I can help solve this for you."

She gave a short, bitter laugh.

"There's no solving this," she said sarcastically. "Hiccup-I'm pregnant."

He stared at her, emerald eyes wide in utter shock.

"Wha-what?' he managed.

"I am with child. I am going to have a baby. There is another person growing within my belly. Do you want it explaining some more?" she asked sharply and he shook his head dumbly.

"Um...I know what 'pregnant' means," he mumbled. "M-mine?"

She glared at him.

"No, it must belong to one of my other boyfriends-the ones you jostle with every day on the Edge," she snapped. His eyes widened and his expression grew hurt...but he knew she was feeling vulnerable and defensive so he swallowed his hurt pride.

"Um...wow," he mumbled. "Wow."

"If you are about to say something about Snotlout or the twins, I am going to kill you," she growled and he shook his head urgently.

"No, no...I would never..." he gabbled, eyes wide with shock. "Astrid...are you okay?"

She stilled and gave a shuddering sigh.

"No," she said in a small voice. "I-I'm terrified, Hiccup. What if I lose it? Or it's harmed by all the fighting we've done? Or I can't give birth? Or I have no clue about being a mother? Or..." he grasped both her hands and leaned close to her, staring into the familiar azure eyes, now swimming with tears.

"Astrid," he said gently, "You are an amazing woman. You can do anything you turn your mind to...except cook, perhaps...but I know you can do this. And you won't be alone because this is my child as well, created with the woman I love more than anything." She blinked and a tear trickled down her cheek. He lifted his hand and gently wiped it away with his calloused thumb. "It's okay," he told her assuredly. "I'm here. We'll do this together, you and me." he paused and looked down for a second. "I wanted to ask you after I had a chance to see my Dad but there is nothing that will alter this anyway. Will you marry me, Astrid? Be my wife?"

"I know what 'marry me' means," she replied half-heartedly. "Look-you don't have to if you don't want to..." He leaned close and kissed her forehead.

"Oh you fool," he whispered. "I have always wanted to marry you. I was planning on asking you anyway...this just moved the timetable up a bit but I doesn't alter one jot of how I feel." He glanced over the at the full moon, hanging huge in the starlit sky. Their breath was coming in clouds around them and he managed a small smile, his hands sliding up and down her cold arms. "And, of course, I wanted it to be perfect...but this looks pretty perfect to me. So... Astrid Hofferson, will you be my wife?"

She blinked and then smiled at him. She nodded, tears trickling down her face.

"Yes," she whispered. "Yes, babe-I will."

"ABOUT TIME!" Tuff yelled from the Clubhouse, where the whole gang were hanging out, watching with bated breath. Annoyed, Hiccup looked up.

"What the...?" he muttered as Astrid pulled him into a kiss. "Mmm-er mmmmnd..." he mumbled against her lips, his arms wrapping around her and pulled her close.

"EW! Get a room, Hiccstrid!" Snotlout yelled.

"WHOO! I call Maid of Honour!" Ruff yelled.

"Hey-I wanted that!" Tuff protested.

"I think that job is already taken," Heather told them both smugly as they stared at her.

"Oh that is not fair," Ruff protested. "Assistant bridesmaid?"

"Hey! I wanted that..."

"I'm definitely Best Man," Snotlout commented but Fishlegs's smug expression told the stocky boy that he was second in line for that position as well. "Oh, come on! Why would you want anything other than perfection to stand by you on your wedding day?"

"That's why you're out, Snotlout," Fishlegs told him bluntly. "I'm the perfect friend...while you're not even the perfect nightmare!"

"No-but I ride one and I'll cook you to well done for that!" he sneered.

"Assuming Hookfang doesn't run away or incinerate you first! Oh, what am I saying? He always does that! While I at least have a relationship with my dragon that..."

"Oooh...a relationship...have you told Heather that you're..."

"One more word and Meatlug is going to entomb you in lava," Fishlegs growled.

"Ten mackerel on Fishlegs to win. Any takers?" Tuff announced casually.

"I believe that I will accept your wager, Tuffnut Laverne Thorston," Ruffnut said calmly. "I will match your mackerel and raise you two cod."

"Accepted, dear sister," Tuff said, banging heads with her. "Right, when and where shall our combatants meet?"

Hiccup was chuckling softly as he held Astrid close, her body curled against his and head tucked under his chin. She was giggling as well at their antics and had his arms wrapped around her.

"Maybe we should just elope," he murmured. "I am sure my Dad wouldn't mind missing all the unnecessary meetings and discussions..."

"You dork," she mumbled. "My father would chase you to the ends of Midgard with an axe if you reneged..." He shook his head.

"Never going to happen," he promised her. "I am yours, Milady-for as long as you want me." She lifted her head and kissed him tenderly as the sounds of yells and punches wafted through the cold night.

"I suppose we should face the music," she sighed. "Tomorrow we return to Berk."

oOo

The trip was long enough to allow Astrid to start worrying again-and though his stomach seemed to have been infected by a swarm of butterflies, Hiccup did his best to reassure her. He declared his love and devotion, made sure she was warm when they broke for the night and ensured he did the cooking.

"Hmm...a girl could get used to this," she smirked and snuggled up against him, as Toothless cooed to Stormfly before the dragons wrapped around them. Both seemed to know something was up and were very attentive to Astrid. The ferocious warrior in Astrid was partly embarrassed and partly amused at their concern as she snuggled up to her fiancé.

But they fell silent as the jagged shape of Berk appeared from the mists and they swooped down to land in the Plaza. There was a chorus of greetings and the young couple waved and smiled, suppressing their nerves as much as they could, waving to their neighbours and checking their dragons were tended for. Both made sure that Toothless and Stormfly were fed and given water and allowed to rest before they separated-Astrid to see her family and Hiccup to find his father.

As it turned out, he was in luck, for Stoick was dealing with some papers in the house and was alone when his son arrived home. Predictably, the Chief had been delighted to see his son and had hugged him so hard that the young Viking had been forced to croak a desperate pleas for air. Pouring them both a mead to celebrate, Stoick had sat down in his huge chair by the dancing fire and looked at his son.

"So what brings you here, son?" he asked gently. "Not often that my busy son comes home to visit his father..." Hiccup blushed and rubbed the back of his neck.

"Um...yeah..." he mumbled. "I mean, we were very busy with the Hunters and then when the Edge was threatened by the volcano, we had a lot to do and...sorry, Dad..." Stoick smiled.

"Just kidding," he grinned. "Now I can tell there's something on your mind, son, so spit it out." Hiccup nodded, chewed his lip and sighed.

"I need you to sort out a contract with Ingvar Hofferson," he said firmly. "I want to marry Astrid Hofferson. I have already asked her-and she's agreed."

And then he waited for the exclamation of joy, of congratulations, of delight that his skinny and trouble-prone Heir would finally be one step-or actually more than one-closer to producing 'grandbabies'.

But there was nothing. Stoick stared at him and his expression became unreadable as he sighed and slumped back in his chair. He shook his head.

"Dad?" Hiccup asked. "Um...waiting for a response. Has he already spoken to you? Are you happy? Excited? Gassy? For Thor's sake, say something!"

Stoick looked up and there was definite pity in his eyes.

"I'm sorry, son," he said heavily. "You cannot marry Astrid Hofferson. You are already betrothed."

A/N: Oops...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

47.8K 1.5K 11
Modern AU. Hiccup Haddock left home six years ago immediately after High School...but this Snoggletog, he is finally returning. Unfortunately, fate s...
73.2K 642 9
After asking Astrid for a sleepover, the young couple sleeps together in the same bed for the first time. It quickly becomes a habit for Astrid and H...
10.2K 540 15
Modern/Supernatural AU. Just when everything was going so well for Astrid, she is taken away from it. Refusing to give-up and now a ghost, she needs...
35.5K 1.5K 32
Set during RTTE S5. Hiccup has been captured by Viggo who seek the lenses for the DragonEye that he has removed and concealed. When he is rescued, As...