My Second Chance

By Oreocookie333

Last time you were able to get away but this time you won't be so lucky. I will see you soon princess, and th... More

My Second Chance
Chapter 1-Edited
Chapter 2-Edited
Chapter 3-Edited
Chapter 4-Edited
Chapter 5-Edited
Chapter 6-Edited
Chapter 7-Edited
Chapter 8-Edited
Chapter 9-Edited
Chapter 10-Edited
Chapter 11-Edited
Chapter 12-Edited
Chapter 13-Edited
Chapter 14-Edited
Chapter 15-Edited
Chapter 16-Edited
Chapter 17-Edited
Chapter 18-Edited
Chapter 19-Edited
Chapter 20-Edited
Chapter 21-Edited
Chapter 22-Edited
Chapter 23-Edited
Chapter 24-Edited
Chapter 25-Edited
Chapter 26-Edited
Chapter 27-Edited
Chapter 28-Edited
Chapter 29-Edited
Chapter 30-Edited
Chapter 32-Edited
Chapter 33-Edited
Chapter 34-Edited
Chapter 35-Edited
Chapter 36-Edited
Chapter 37-Edited
Chapter 38-Edited
Chapter 39-Edited
Epilogue-Edited
Bonus Chapter 1
Bonus Chapter 2
Bonus Chapter 3
Bonus Chapter 4
Bonus Chapter 5

Chapter 31-Edited

88.8K 2.9K 541
By Oreocookie333

Chapter 31

Ryder's POV

I pace my office and run a hand through my hair. I exhale loudly and try to clear my foggy brain. I'm not sure who or what I can believe in right now. The words of the letter have been replaying in my head ever since I've read them. I've memorized it from the amount of times I've read it.

Ryder,

You've got to help me! I don't know where I am, or what I'm doing. The people seem to have some sort of control over me. No matter how hard I try, I can't break this "spell" that they have on me. I only have a few moments of clarity once in a while. I'm trying to write this letter quickly while I still have time. I need you to know the truth of what happened that night all those years ago.

I thought I had died that day, but apparently I didn't. The rogues, they captured me and they've been experimenting on me. They've been trying to find out information about you and your pack, but thankfully, they haven't been successful. I've locked all my past memories up and they can't reach them.

Those same rogues are working with Zack. They've kidnapped your mate too. I don't know what's going on since I can never remember what I've done while they're controlling me. I'm sorry if I've had a part in her kidnapping. You've got to understand that I would never do anything to hurt you.

You've got to find me and break this curse. I don't want to be like this anymore. I'm tired of being their servant. I don't want to hurt innocent people.

If you want to find us, I was able to overhear Zack saying that we were heading to Lebanon, Kansas.

Please hurry, you need to get to your mate before something bad happens to her.

-Patrick

I grumble slightly under my breath before I lay down on the couch in my office. Ever since Elizabeth was taken, I've avoided that room. Every time I go near it, my chest aches and I feel a wave of sadness pass over me. I need to find my mate soon before I go completely insane.

As I lay on the couch, my mind drift backs to the letter. I don't know what I should do. I want to believe my uncle, but I know that he is obviously working with Zack. If I hadn't heard that phone call earlier, I might have believed him, but now, it would be stupid of me to believe that he's completely innocent.

Now that I'm thinking about it though, none of this makes sense. I'm pretty sure his letter was supposed to make him sound innocent, but it didn't. It sounded like something that he heard in a really bad action movie and then he decided to write it on a piece of paper.

How would he have random moments of clarity? He said that he couldn't remember anything that happened during the times that he was under their influence, but then he said that he knows what's been happening to him. Also, the people would keep a close eye on him if that was the truth. They wouldn't want him contacting anyone and telling other people about them.

Also, how would he know where they are going? He claimed that "overheard" it, but that's a lie. He wouldn't have remembered it if he actually heard it. Also, he said that he didn't know where he was, or where he was going.

I don't know who he's trying to fool, but it's not really working. The more I think about it, the angrier I get. If he wants to sound believable, he should've at least kept his story straight. I can't believe I didn't see the truth earlier. It was right in front of me, but I couldn't concentrate.

How could he work with people who are trying to hurt my mate? Has he lost his mind? I hope he realizes that he's not going to get away with this. I can't wait till the next time I see him, he will die a very slow and painful death.

I should probably get some sleep since I have an early morning. I had Chris do some investigating, and he was able to find some information about Zack that will help us trace him. I know that he's going to be on the move soon, so we have to make sure that we get to his next destination before him. We'll meet him and his group there, and I'll kill everyone who had a part in taking Elizabeth away from me.

I lay my head down on the arm rest and close my eyes. I move around a bit to try and get comfortable, but I stop when I realize that's not going to happen. I won't be able to sleep properly until I get my mate back.

I take in a deep breath and remind myself that I'll be with her soon.

I feel my eyes closing, and I welcome sleep.

Elizabeth's POV

"Again!" I take a deep breath and try to pin Carter to the ground for the 10th time tonight. He easily dodges my attack and I let out a groan of frustration.

"I don't want to do this anymore! I've tried every single day for the past 5 days, and nothing has happened! I'm sick of this training!" I give Carter a glare before I try to walk away. I only make it a few steps before I feel a gentle hand grab my wrist.

"Liz, you need to do this..."

"I don't want to do this anymore. I'm not good at fighting. I'm weak, and I can't do it." The hand on my wrist tightens to the point where it's almost painful, and I let out a quiet gasp.

"Don't say that!" Carter growls at me. He looks as frustrated as I am.

"Why not? It's the truth." He opens his mouth to say something before he stops. He stares at me for a few moments before a smirk makes its way onto his face. The atmosphere around the two of us changes dramatically. My face scrunches up in confusion and I'm immediately on guard.

"You know what? You're right. You are pretty weak." My eyes narrow slightly at him. He has an arrogant smirk on his face and I let out a puff of air.

"Is that supposed to make me feel better?"

"No, I'm just telling the truth. I'm sick and tired of listening to you complain. I don't even know why I bothered to act like I actually liked you." I can't help but feel slightly hurt by what he just said. He was only pretending? This entire time, he didn't even like me.

Whatever, I don't need him.

"Fine then, you don't have to pretend anymore." A dark look creeps onto his face and I swallow nervously. I try to take a step back, but then I remember that he's still holding my wrist.

"Good." Before I can even react, I'm on the ground laying on my stomach. My wrists are wrapped behind my back and my legs are being held down by one of his legs. I squirm around trying to get free, but he just holds on even tighter.

He lets out an evil laugh and I start getting a little scared. I shouldn't have trusted him. I should've just ignored him when he said he was trying to help me. This is what I get for being so naive.

"You're honestly so pathetic. I was hoping that I would at least have more of a challenge, but whatever. I'm still going to have fun killing you." I try to free one of my arms or legs, but I can't get out of his hold.

Suddenly, a cool piece of metal is placed on my neck. I stop moving around and stare at the knife in shock.

"I wouldn't move around so much if I were you. You might cut yourself." The teasing tone in Carter's voice makes my blood boil, and I wish that I could actually do something.

"Aw, poor little helpless Elizabeth. You have such soft skin. Did you know that?" He questions as he runs a hand down my left arm. I try to use that moment to free one of my hands, but he has both of them wrapped in one of his. I growl and try to think of a way out of this. I can't seem to think of anything because my mind is clouded with hurt. I trusted him, and he was just lying to me. He never wanted to help me. I was so stupid to trust him. This entire week, he's been so nice and patient with me while I try to improve my fighting and learn how to use my "powers." I can't believe that I didn't notice what his real intentions were.

"It's a shame that I have to cut this perfect skin."

"Get your hands off me," I growl while trying to sound intimidating. Carter just lets out a dark chuckle.

"You're not really in the position to be making demands. I'm the one that's in control. It would be best if you remembered that."

"Why are you doing this?" I make my voice as emotionless as possible when I ask this question. I don't want him to know his betrayal hurt me.

"You thought that I would actually help someone like you? I was just seeing if you would actually be a threat, but you're obviously not." My cheeks start to turn a bright red from my anger. He's so dead once I get out of his grasp.

"I feel so bad for Ryder though. He really got the short end of the stick. I don't know how he put up with you for so long." What's that supposed to mean?

"What are you talking about?"

"I hate to be the one to tell you the truth, but I'm going to do it anyways."

"What truth?" He's silent for a few minutes before I hear him let out a dramatic sigh. I can almost see him shaking his head back and forth in disappointment.

"I can't believe the moon goddess would pair you up with someone like Ryder. If you ask me, he didn't deserve you as a burden. He was having a great life, and then you messed everything up. Did you know that he's not even looking for you right now? He was the one that let us into his pack. Obviously he had to make it believable, so he didn't tell anyone of his plan. I was actually surprised by his amazing acting skills. You actually thought that he cared for you." My heart aches in my chest, but I try to ignore his words. I shake my head and try to get away from him. I don't want to listen to his lies anymore.

"I bet you didn't know that he was the one that set all of this up. He was getting tired of pretending to like you, so he had all of this planned. He would have killed you himself, but he didn't want your blood to be on his hand." Tears start falling down my cheeks and I whimper slightly. Ryder was just faking everything? No, that can't be the truth. I know that he would never hurt me.

"You're lying to me," I manage to whisper through my tears. My fist clench and my body tenses. Ryder would never do that to me. He lets out a snort before pressing my face into the ground.

"I'm not lying though. His uncle never died, his uncle was just living in another pack. Ryder is paying Zack a good amount so you could be taken away. Zack said that the only reason he would help Ryder was because he missed having you as a slave." I try to stop my tears, but they just keep pouring down my face. I keep trying to convince myself that this is all a lie, but I don't know anymore. My sadness starts to be replaced with rage and I start shaking slightly.

"You're completely useless. No one would ever love you. I don't even know why you decided to keep living all this time. I guess some people just can't take a hint. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to do the job you failed to do." The knife presses more into my skin and I let out a shaky breath.

"I feel bad for all those people who had to act like they actually liked you. I've only known you for how long? A little more than 2 weeks and I could barely handle it. I'm sure everyone will be happier when you're gone." These are words that I've heard many times in the past, especially from Zack, and I already know what's going to happen. The abuse. I sit there lamely with my jaw clenched and my eyes closed.

"Wow, you're already giving up? I expected more from you, but I guess I should've known. You've never fought for anything in your life. You've just let things happen to you. So weak." Those words strike a nerve in me and I can feel my body tensing again. That seems to be the reaction he wanted though which only serves to further anger me. What am I doing? I promised myself that I would be strong, and that I would start fighting back, and I'm over here cowering like a little baby. Maybe I really don't deserve Ryder. He would be better off with someone stronger and wiser. More rage starts pumping through my system and I mentally scold myself and think of all the negatives of my life and situation.

"What's wrong? Are you upset now? Did I hit another nerve? Aw, you poor baby." The mocking tone of his voice makes me scowl at the ground below me. I feel something in me start stirring and awakening and I can barely contain my fury.

"ENOUGH!" With that one word, Carter goes flying across the field and hits his back against one of the trees. He stops talking and just stares at me with wide eyes. I can feel my anger start to grow as I take a few steps in his direction.

"You are a traitor, and a deceiver. You will pay for what you've done to me." My voice sounds foreign to my own ears, and I'm shocked that I was able to say that with so much authority. The voice sounds like mine, but it's mixed with another voice. With every step that I take, I feel more and more power flowing through my veins. For once, I actually feel powerful, almost like I can do anything.

Carter's face turns a very pale color, and I smirk slightly. It feels good to finally have the upper hand.

"I'm not sure exactly what I want to do with you yet. Should I kill you, or should I torture you first?" I don't know what's making me so violent all of a sudden, but I can't seem to control my emotions or actions anymore. It feels like another part of me has taken over. It almost feels like if my wolf had taken over, but I know that's not the case. This feels different, yet similar. I watch as my body continues to pace in front of Carter.

"Elizabeth? I know you're in there, you need to control your vampire." So my vampire is in control? That means that I can finally use my powers.

"Elizabeth isn't here right now." A sly smirk settles onto my lips and I see fear flash in his eyes.

"Elizabeth, this isn't like you, you need to take control." Why would I want to do that? He needs to pay for what he's done!

"Elizabeth and I are both in agreement in the fact that you deserve to suffer. We haven't exactly talked about what the punishment should be, but don't worry, we're thinking."

"Look, I know you're upset, but you need to understand. I was only saying those things to help you." A bitter chuckle passes through my lips.

"You were trying to help me by making me feel like dirt? I don't think so."

"I was trying to get you to your full potential. You weren't focused, and it was affecting your performance. You needed an extra push so that you would be able to use your powers. It seems like I might have pushed you a little too hard though."

"No, I think it was the perfect amount. I've been waiting for a long time to finally be free. Maybe I'll give you a quick and instant death as a sign of my thanks." Suddenly, my hands heat up, and I see fire shoot out of them. I have no idea how I know how to do this or how to control it, but I do. Carter moves away from the tree and starts taking steps backwards.

The flames get closer and closer to him and I watch him run around the area trying to avoid them. He's going to get tired eventually, but I could do this all day. I start laughing at the different facial expressions he keeps making. He looks so scared. A pang of guilt stabs at my heart, but it goes away a second later.

"Elizabeth! Stop! Snap out of it!" I immediately start to relax and I frown in confusion. How did he do that? The flames go back into my hands and I feel even more disappointed.

"What did you do to me?" All my energy feels like it's been drained from my body. I feel calmer, but I still feel just as powerful.

"I can influence people's emotions and thoughts. When you weren't improving, I figured that I would have to try a different approach. I would say something to you, and then I would magnify it in your brain so you would feel angrier about it. Apparently, it worked, but it almost cost me my life," Carter says while slowly taking steps towards me. I glare at him, but he just gives me a sheepish smile.

"You were playing with my emotions?" A few minutes ago, I would have been furious, but now that I'm actually controlling my emotions I realize that I'm actually not that mad. I guess it's just not in my nature to get upset about things. I think back to a few minutes ago and think about how I was acting. I would've never acted like that in normal situations. I'm not sure if that's a good thing, or a bad thing. I don't know how I didn't notice that he was controlling my emotions though. I should've realized something was going on when I started doubting Ryder's feelings about me. A lot of things in my life might change, but I know that's something that will always stay the same.

"Yes, I'm sorry. You just needed to get angry before you reached your full potential."

"If you ever do that again, you won't be able to live to tell the story, got it?" His Adam's apple bobs up and down as he gulps quietly. He nods his head with a solemn look on his face.

"I promise."

"Good, because I wouldn't go easy on you." I try to fight the smile that's making its way across my face, but I can't help it. Once Carter sees my smile, he relaxes and smiles back at me.

"Wow, I better remember to stay on your good side from now on." I smile slightly before I realize something.

"Why did you look so scared earlier when my vampire was in control?"

"Well, vampires have really bad tempers and I was worried that you would actually kill me." He shrugs casually, but I know that's not the entire truth.

"I want the truth."

"Fine, it's because......."

A/N: Hey guys! This story has over a million reads and over 20 thousand votes! Yay!! Thank you guys so much. I really appreciate all the support and stuff. I tried to make this chapter extra long to make up for the fact that I couldn't update earlier. I hope you guys liked it! I'm not really happy with how some parts of it turned out, but I've already rewritten it so many times, and this was the best that it was going to get, so yeah.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

687K 15.6K 37
19 year old werewolf, Madeline Night has never had life handed to her. When her parents left her at the young age of 7 she learned quickly that she w...
671K 15.1K 41
"I may be your second chance, Wade, but I will not be your second choice." Reeling from the death of his mate, Alpha Wade tried everything in his pow...
238K 6.3K 59
"You're in my territory now, princess, and you'll abide by my rules. Is that clear?" he whispered in my ear as he backed me against the wall, his han...
321K 12.8K 23
This book is a sequel to His Miracle Mate. *** **** *** Orla learns the secret of her ancestry, a secret that will make her a target if reveal...