The Spaniard's Bride

By JessSanders1213

Third Book in the Bride Series Roseanne never believed in fairy tales. They just didn't seem quite as realist... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five

Thirteen

8.4K 333 8
By JessSanders1213

Isoba had woken Roseanne up early the next morning with a loud bang.

Roseanne had been married all of twenty-four hours and already her husband was ready to go back to Spain. He had been gone for nearly four months— longer than any King should be in his country.

It was about time that both he and his bride return to his people.

"Up, your highness. We have long journey ahead of us." He barked. His voice was rough and heavily accented. He was a terrifying individual— towering high above her with heavy, building muscles, various scars and dark eyes.

"But I am tired." She complained, turning over on her side.

She wasn't used to getting up early.

"We have long trip ahead of us. Get up!" He barked again, pulling her by her arm.

Roseanne finally obliged, forcing herself out of bed, "Must you be so rude about it? I am your queen, after all."

Isoba huffed, "Not yet."

The door shut behind him with a loud bang. Roseanne shook her head.

She knew he was right, for she was not yet officially the Queen of Spain but she still deserved the respect of a Queen.

After all, this was her home.

She had a maid gather her things, placing them in large boxes and then taking them down to the carriage.

She dressed, picking the finest dress she had. Roseanne had found that dressing up for her husband was her new favorite pastime. She loved to make him notice her.

Roseanne found herself walking gracefully down the stairs, her dress trailing behind her.

"Let us go, Roseanne. The ship is waiting for us and we have a schedule to follow." Alvaro said, a stoic expression plastered on his face.

Her heart sank, slightly, at his harsh tone. All she wanted was for him to notice how she had dressed up.

She followed him begrudgingly into the carriage and later onto the ship, as any good wife would. They took their quarters in the lower section of the ship.

The bed, which had been built in a small corner, was smaller than she was used to and lumper. She knew the travels to Spain would not be easy but she at least expected a little more comfort than this. She had to do what she had to do.

"I must go check on the arrangements of the ship, Roseanne. Stay down here within the room for your safety." Alvaro said, before leaving her room.

She fell back into the bed with a heavy sigh, "So much for that."

A small knock brought her attention back to the real world. Roseanne sat up and looked at the man standing in the doorway.

He bowed at her, lowly, as if she were officially a Queen, "Your majesty."

Roseanne couldn't force herself to speak. All she could do was stare at her brother's best friend, "What are you doing here, Jason?"

Jason came forward and sat beside her, "I made a promise to your brother to protect you, so here I am."

"Jason!" She cried, pushing his arm, "You are certainly not following me all the way to Spain!"

"You cannot stop me." He said, calmly as he crossed his arms over his chest.

She stood and stamped her foot, "I demand that you leave!"

Jason's smile widened, "Of course, your majesty." He bowed deeply but paused half way down, "I will remind you, however, that the ship has already left port. I cannot swim, your highness."

Roseanne could suddenly feel the ships movements under her feet. She pressed a hand to her head, "What have I done?"

"You married a man out of spite for your brother." Jason replied, his calm tone turning icy.

"And what is it to you?" Roseanne snapped, crossing her arms.

Jason stood and brushed his trousers off, "If you will excuse me, your highness, I shall need to locate my hammock. Those heathens will leave me the worst one if I don't hurry."

The door closed behind him with a loud click.

~~~~

Roseanne could hardly sleep that night, with all the excitement rolling within her.

She got up early that next morning and made sure she looked her best— after all, today was the day she meet her people.

After months and months of waiting for them to arrive in Spain, they had finally arrived. The air was slightly crisp from the cool weather around them, but Roseanne could care less.

The arid months at sea had driven her mad and with her condition, she could barely stand the smell and sight of the men aboard. It was high time that she put herself inside castle walls where she belonged.

"And how is our little one today?" Alvaro asked, as he strolled in from the upper deck.

Roseanne pressed a hand to her growing abdomen, "I am blissfully miserable. How long is it until we are able to leave?"

Alvaro gave her a look that she knew far to well— he only cared to hear about their child.

She sighed, "The child is fine, Alvaro. He is growing and he is healthy."

Alvaro gave her a curt nod and looked at the collected stuff around the room, "I will send someone to retrieve your belongings."

Roseanne nodded back, "Thank you, your majesty."

Despite being married for almost four months, Alvaro had hardly held a lengthy conversation with her. A few phrases exchanged here and there were all that he could give her. The once charming King had turned into a cold, manipulative tyrant.

Roseanne was thankful for Jason, as he had provided her with much company over the past months. Though he did not know of her condition, he had hardly left her side during the day.

"Ready to go ashore?" Jason asked, entering the confined cabin.

Roseanne smiled, "Yes, let's leave this dreadful ship. I long to feel the earth move under my feet again!"

She grabbed his hand, "Tell me, good sir, is the sun shining bright outside? Is the weather fair?"

Jason twirled her under his arm, "Aye, dear lass, the weather isna very fair but dona fash. There be some sun to come ye way."

Roseanne laughed at his terrible accent, "You, sir, need to lay off the ale."

Jason crossed his arms over his chest, "Ale? I am a civilized gentleman. I do not drink more than I can hold."

Roseanne raised an eyebrow, "I am sure that is true. Perhaps you should work on your accent, dear sir."

A sailor cleared his throat as he appeared in the doorway, "I came for the bags, ya lady ship."

Roseanne nodded and stepped out of his way, "Well, I guess it is time for me to go above deck now. It is time for the people of Spain to meet their Queen."

Jason straightened his uniform, "Well then, your majesty, shall I escort you to the deck?"

Roseanne took a deep breath, "You shall."

~~~~

Roseanne could hardly keep her hand from shaking as she stepped into the carriage. Her dress was heavier than it had been before and she could swear that the coachman gave her an unimpressed look.

Her husband, as cold as ever, sat down beside her and placed a hand on top of hers, "We will announce the heir tonight."

Roseanne snapped her head to look at him. They had not discussed such things nor had he given her the chance.

"Shall we not give it more time?" She asked, looking back down at her lap.

"No."

Roseanne knew the conversation was over. She knew that there was no since arguing with him.  So she instead turned her attention to the crowd.

She liked the cheering crowds and flowers thrown her way. She liked the feeling of being appreciated and adored. She had received this back in England, but not in this level.

The carriage itself was built for a queen, made out of pure gold and red satin. There was nothing more perfect in the world.

She waved, her smiling nearly exceeding her face.  She wanted her people to cheer. She wanted them to adore her. This was what she wanted— a true fairytale.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.3K 381 55
BOOK 3 of The Ostler's Boy Series ----- Love. Duty. Valor. Court & Class. A pseudo-medieval romance through the eyes of a reckless princess. ...
19.4K 648 14
Princess Ariana has been in love with her best friend Coby since they were little children. The only problem is, he has always loved her as a sister...
479K 17.9K 29
First Book Of The Bride Series; Annalisa Albrite, the German Princess, came to medieval England looking for an adventure to distract her. After losin...
159K 6.2K 20
The Second Book in the Bride Series Katharine was a peasant girl, living in the streets of Paris when the Lady Eleanor found her and turned her into...