Questionable Loyalties

Por Real0rN0tReal

She might be a Toretto by birth, but she's a Shaw by marriage. Loyalties are questioned when it comes to ligh... Mais

The Call
A Funeral and a Family Reunion
Author's Note
A Conversation Long Overdue
What Did I Get Myself Into?
The Aftermath
Reunited At Last
Interrupted
Separated Again
Author's Note
.
Alone
A New Threat
Anger and Pain
I Know When I'm Not Wanted
The Best News
You Can't Distract Me With Real Estate
Please Read
Hobbs & Shaw
Vacation Part 1
Vacation Part 2
Vacation Part 3 and a Flashback
No Good Deed
Eteon Returns
Margarita
To Hell and Back
Before the Storm
Against the World
Not Today
Not My Life or Death
You're Still Human
Welcome Home
Don't Say "I Told You So"

Family

20.2K 452 94
Por Real0rN0tReal

By late afternoon, everything is clean and picked up. The shopping is done, and so is my laundry. I'm pacing, waiting for something, or someone. Nothing happens until late evening. There's a knock at my door. It's my mother in law.

I open the door and invite her inside. She doesn't say much as she walks through the apartment. She's inspecting. I hear small sounds that I take to be of approval. "I suppose you've earned the reward."

"I'm sorry?" Her goon produces a heavy, bound photo album.

"So you can learn about the family tree you've married into," she explains. "We'll leave you to it." She and her goons leave as quickly as they came.

I sit down with the album to learn all about what I've married into....

Later that day my phone rings while I'm going through the album. I'm not looking at the caller ID, but I pick it up anyway. "Hello?"

"Sophia?"

"Who's this?"

"It's Brian."

I pull the phone away from my face and let out a sigh. I take a second before putting the phone back up to my ear. "Look, if you've called to verbally beat me up, can we do this some other time? I can't really take much more right now."

I hear him sigh too. "I'm not calling to verbally beat you up. I was actually calling to apologize." I don't say anything, because I don't know where this is going. "I'm sorry that I hurt you. You have every right to be mad at me after how I caused that wreck. And don't blame Mia for not calling. It's my fault. I told her not to do it. I guess the other reason I'm calling is to tell you that you have a niece now, too."

"Really? I didn't even know she was pregnant," I reply quietly.

"You'll have to come out and see everyone soon."

"That's if Nobody's people will let me leave the State," I replied. "Which is probably not going to happen anytime soon."

"I'll see what I can do." Before we hang up, he tells me that I should be expecting a call from Mia within the next week or so, when she was feeling up to it.

~~~

A couple days later Deckard comes home. He's got a baby carrier. "Who's this?" I coo down into the carrier.

"This is your nephew," Deckard says. He puts the carrier down, and unclips the harness. He pulls the baby out and hands him to me. "I don't know what his name is."

"Hi little guy," I smile and bounce him on my hip. "You're too cute. Yes, you are." Apparently babies turn me into a babbling idiot.

Deckard laughs at me and tips my chin in his direction for a kiss. "God I missed you, Soph."

I lean my weight against him and let him hold me. "I missed you too Deck." The baby babbles in my arms and we both smile down at him. "I wonder who the mother was," I comment absentmindedly.

"Don't know." He looks at his watch. "I told Dom we'd watch the baby until he gets this stuff with Cipher sorted out."

"How long do you think that'll take?" I ask.

"A couple of days, tops."

We had the baby for three days. Deck and I took turns getting up with him in the middle of the night. One night I got up to go see if everything was okay, only to find the baby passed out in Deckard's arms, who was also passed out. For not being great at the domestic thing, we were sure doing pretty well. I might have spoiled the kid rotten for those three days. He got a small wardrobe to go home with, and a couple toys - a Jaguar model car, and a Charger. Deckard got the call on the third morning that Dom was ready for him to bring the baby back...

"He said what?" I ask, not entirely believing what I just heard.

"He wants you to come too. He knows that you've been helping me take care of him," Deckard explains. "He said something about family dinner?"

I groan quietly and look up at the ceiling, "Why? Last time I saw him, I shot him. I'm sure he doesn't want me there. You're hearing must have started going out after that percussion grenade," I teased.

He glared at me, "I'm not joking, Soph. He said he wanted all three of us. You, me, and the baby." Deckard points at the baby. 

"Okay," I mumble and go to get the baby ready for a bath so he can be presentable for dinner.

"Are you okay?" Deckard asks, coming in behind me.

"I'm fine," I lie. I'm terrified because I don't know what I'm walking into. I shot my brother for Christ's sake! I'm sure he hates me. I'm sure everyone else still hates me for shooting Dom, and for everything I've done. I don't know why he wants me there, except to settle the score. I feel like I'm walking into a lion's den.

"Bullshit," he whispers in my ear so that the baby doesn't hear it. "The look on your face is giving you away. Talk to me."

I don't respond for a few minutes, focusing on my work with the baby. I'm also trying to formulate the right words. "I understand what he said. What I don't understand is the motive behind the request."

"Sophia, look at me," Deckard says. I do as he says, and he continues. "Do you really think that I would let him hurt you, in any way?"

"No."

"I wouldn't take you, if I didn't think that it was going to be safe."

"I know. I just imagine a hundred different ways that things could go wrong."

"Don't borrow trouble, love." Deckard leans over and presses a kiss to my temple. "When you're done with him, you get cleaned up."

~~~

Later that evening Deckard drives us over to the address where we're supposed to meet. I trail behind Deckard, who's holding the baby carrier. I've got the diaper bag that's been loaded with everything I bought the kid in those three days. I want to drop it and run. I'm so scared to face these people.

We go up to the roof, and Deckard goes out first. I quickly register that we're on a rooftop terrace. There's a table, and someone is grilling something. They're all there. Dom, Letty, Tej, Roman, Ramsey, and Hobbs. I'm surprised to see Little Nobody and Mr. Nobody there. They're all too busy with each other to notice much. Everybody but Dom. He sees Deckard and immediately approaches. Deckard meets him halfway, and I put the bag down, and try to move away. I move in the opposite direction, and stand with my back to the group, hoping to be ignored.

Little Nobody sees me, and comes over. "I didn't think we'd see you tonight."

"You almost didn't. I'm still resisting the urge to bolt." My skin is crawling. I'm waiting for the first verbal assault. "So, did you figure out the whole "no rules" thing?" I ask.

He smirks, "I did. I have to say, it was pretty liberating."

"Good."

"Do you want a drink?" he asks.

"I'm okay. Thanks." I still don't know if I can stay. "Um, can I ask a favor?"

"Depends on what it is."

"My sister just had a baby, and I was hoping that I'd get clearance to go and see her. I would have to leave the State." I don't really expect him to agree, but at least I'd tried.

"Yeah, sure. We'll get that worked out for you. I think I can even do one better, and cancel the order for your monitoring. You'd be a free woman again, no more calling to check in at the end of the day."

"That would be great. I'd really appreciate that." I smile and start to relax.

Mr. Nobody wanders over, "Mrs. Shaw."

"Mr. Nobody," I reply.

"How would you like a job?" he asks.

"Doing what?" I ask.

"I need a mechanic at the Toy Shop. You're the only girl that I can think of that's fit for the job," he explains. I wonder if anyone else is listening to this little exchange. "I can match the rates you charge now, and you wouldn't have to give up your business."

I bite my lip. It's an enticing offer. "I'm going to have to think about it, but I'm definitely interested." I tell him. "Is there a number I can reach you at when I've made a decision?"

He hands me his card and walks away. I put it in my pocket.

"You look like you're about to crawl out your skin," Little Nobody says. "Are you really that uncomfortable?"

I nod. I nearly jump off the roof when Deckard comes up behind me and puts a hand on my arm. "It's just me. Are you okay?" I nod again. "Come here. No one is going to bite, I promise." He leads me over by the arm to Dom and Letty.

I can't hardly look him in the face. My eyes settle on the baby in his arms. He's looking back at me and smiling. I feel like I'm about to be scolded. I see Dom hand the baby off to Letty, and now I'm worried. Why does he need his hands free if he's not going to do something to me? It's very clearly too late to run.

"It's okay, Soph," Dom says. He holds his hands up in a gesture of surrender, but I don't buy it. "I'm not mad anymore." I still can't look him in the face, and now I have nowhere to look without it being totally obvious. "I know you were doing what you thought you had to to protect your family. I shouldn't have put you in the position to have to choose between your husband and the rest of us." I glance up quickly.

He steps toward me, and I flinch backward. Deckard must sense that I'm ready to run. He pulls me aside. "I wouldn't bring you here if I didn't think you'd be safe. I truly don't think he means you any harm. Just give him a chance."

"Alright." I nod. The baby grabs for me as we come back. He lunges out of Letty's arms and I take him. "Hi there," I smile, bouncing him on my hip. "Does he have a name?" I ask, looking up at Dom.

"Brian," he smiles. "He likes you."

"We had a good time these last couple of days. Didn't we, Brian?" I coo, looking down at him. I turn and gesture to the bag sitting by the door. "I might have bought him a few things."

Dom chuckles. He puts a hand on my back, "I want you in his life. He needs an aunt or two to spoil him."

I nod and look up, "How's your shoulder?"

He moves his shirt back and shows me the bandage. "It's still sore from time to time."

"Sorry."

"It was a good shot. It went clean through. You know why I couldn't tell you the plan right?" he asks.

"Because I can't be trusted," I reply, looking back at Little Brian.

He sighs, "I couldn't tell anyone until the time was right."

"You realize that you met my mother in law before I did, right?" I ask. "And to boot, I met her when I was a mess, thinking that my husband was dead. I'm never going to live that down."

"She's an interesting woman," Dom replies.

"That's my mother you're talking about," Deck interjects. I can tell he's kidding by the smirk on his face. "But she is something. Owen and I never could figure out what." That makes me chuckle.

"Can you stay for dinner?" Dom asks.

Deckard looks to me for the answer. "I think so," I nod.

I have to hand little Brian back to Dom as he calls for everyone to head back to the table. I end up at the opposite end, in between Deckard and Little Nobody. He introduces little Brian to the group and sits down to say grace.

I can't help but get flashbacks to family dinners back at the house as I'm sitting here with my head bows. It makes me miss Jesse, and Mia. But hey, at least I'll get to see Mia in the near future.

The rest of dinner is an interesting affair. The more time I spend with Tej and Roman, the more I can't stand them. They're falling all over themselves to try to win Ramsey's favor. They're trying to guess her last name.

"I know your last name," I pipe up.

"Yeah?" she asks.

I get up and whisper it in her ear. She nods. "Maybe I should be with her. She knows more about me than you two do."

I sit back down and laugh, "I'll have you know, I'm a happily married woman!" I protest lightheartedly.

"Yes, you are." Deckard pulls me in for a kiss. "You'll have to fight me for her."

Before we get ready to leave that night, Letty pulls me away from Deckard. "I just wanted to tell you that I remember everything again. You're my sister Sophia. You were my sister long before I ever married Dom. You know if you ever need anything, you just have to ask, right? You're not alone. You have a family. It's part one you made for yourself, and part one that you're just stuck with because we won't let you go."

"What are those two?" I ask, pointing to Tej and Roman.

"The idiots that make everyone else look good," she teases, earning a laugh.

"So wait, you're married?" I ask.

"We did it in the Dominican Republic." She recounts the whole wedding for me. I tell her about mine. Deckard is patient through the entire conversation, although I do see him step aside to talk to Little Nobody, who actually looks nervous after the fact. He doesn't rush leaving. He lets me tell him that I'm ready.

~~~

When we get home that night, we're both exhausted. We change for bed and crawl in together. "I love the kid, don't get me wrong, but I'm so glad that we'll get to sleep through the night," I mumble adjusting to get comfortable, with my head on his shoulder.

"Agreed."

"You know what I just realized?" I ask.

"What?"

"This is the first time we've been in bed together since you got the call that started all of this."

He moves and my head is dropped onto the mattress. He grabs his phone and shuts it off, before doing the same to mine. "We don't need any disruptions. We've both earned a few days of peace I think."

"I couldn't agree more." He settled back into bed, and I comfortable again in his arms. It doesn't take long before we're both out cold. I haven't slept so well since I left Greece at the start of all of this. No one is going to disturb this little bit of peace that I've earned.

The End...

... for now.

When there's another installment in the Fast Franchise, I'll probably pick this back up. I might do little one shots in the meantime when I get ideas about what Sophia, Deckard, and the Fast Family are up to!

[I start classes again next week. This will probably be my last update on this for a while!]

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

3.1K 136 13
As the plain daughter of a poor noble family, you knew that there were very few prospects for you. However, your carefully laid plans for your future...
76.8K 1.4K 15
(SPOILERS) "What's the most important thing to you?" "Family." DECKARD/OC AND DOM/OC TWO SEPERATE OC'S
17.5K 1K 34
about a girl who is so loyal to a person that doesn't even see her as her cross cousin Is he really hate her that much let's dig into story to know t...
23.9K 748 24
Hii this is my first time writing. If there is any mistakes pls forgive me. The story is about a girl named shika whose family tortures her beaten h...