Under The Tent Top (COMPLETED)

By ArianneBarroma

"Welcome, we thank you for spending your night with us. We promise you, that this will be a party you will ne... More

Prologue
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty - One
Twenty - Two
Twenty - Three
Twenty - Four
Twenty - Five
Twenty - Six
Twenty - Seven
Twenty - Eight
Twenty - Nine
Thirty
Thirty - One
Thirty - Two
Thirty - Three
Thirty - Four
Thirty - Five
Thirty - Six
Thirty - Seven
Thirty - Eight
Thirty-Nine
Fourty
Fourty - One
Fourty - Two
Under The Tent Top

Eighteen

205 20 0
By ArianneBarroma

WHEN the audience had finished applauding to the night's show,  I took a final bow and slipped behind the curtains - just passing Samil as he entered to close the show.

"Good job," Manuel whispered as he helped me out of the starlight. "I overheard Samil and the first act ladies. He's got a tempter tonight."

I nodded in thanks.

"Best to stay out of his trailer."

On the other side of the roping system, Rene waited with open arms. "No flips tonight?"

I shook my head. "No I should probably keep a low profile from now on."

She rolled her eyes. "Who cares..."

"Samil."

"Oh, boy he's probably to caught up in my two left feet."

"Oh...you were the one he was upset with? Rene, are you okay?"

"Manuel must have told you," She took a step forward. "It's no big deal! Nothing we couldn't handle, if it takes his attention away from you for the moment, it's totally worth messing up on the show."

"Hey.."

She waved a hand at me. "Moving on! Let's go meet Lacey and Dandra out there. I've convinced them to stick around for the party."

Out in the crowd, the men and women surrounded the ringleader. I tried my hardest to avoid eye contact – praying that he wouldn't summon me in that ring.

Sadly, Invidia called out to me. "Nightingale, get down here." Her voice was saturated with artificial kindness.

I nodded at Rene, ushering her to go find our friends.

"The men here wanted to let you know how wonderful you were tonight." The elephant rider spat through her teeth.

"Good evening," I smiled at the men around us.

Samil wrapped his arms around me, almost in a territorial manner. "Darling," He stated pressing his lips on the top of my head. Invidia rolled her eyes. "You were splendid!"

I avoided eye contact. "Thank you."

"Nightingale, do you ever do private parties?" One man leaned in to whisper.

Samil tugged my arm, pulling me away from the guest. "Business such as that are discussed through me, sir." He stated with a firm grin.

The man nodded stiffly. "Perhaps we can discuss that later than?"

"Perhaps."

Invidia cleared her throat. "Samil, did you notice how steady I was on the hand stand tonight?"

The men twisted their heads sharply at her.

"Yes," Samil muttered. "Good job."

An exasperated sigh escaped Invidia as the men began to talk amongst themselves. I took the opportunity to slip away.

Manuel then quickly passed me, a drink in hand winking my way. "Samil, sir. For you."

Eventually, I reached Lacey and Dandra as they twirled around each other by Rene, who was in her dancing state. "You found us!"

"I did!" I laughed.

For a few moments I was able to be a part of the crowd, a member of the party and not a spectacular for them to watch. The moment, however, was short lived.

"Song bird!" Samil called out into the crowd – his words slightly slurred.

"Samil," I muttered.

"Where have you been?"

Excused flashed through my head, none that seemed worthy or believable enough. Luckily, Manuel ran through the crowd with another drink in his hand. "Sir, your drink."

Samil laughed. "Ah! Thank you! I knew –I hick knew I kept you for a reason!"

Rene chuckled behind me, pulling me back. Dandra danced to me, only to lead my body towards the entrance of the white top.

"I've heard someone is waiting for you." She teased.

The flaps of the entrance way swayed with the wind, opening just enough for me to spot Marius. His gaze was attentive to the ground, hands in the pockets of dark jeans, a white button up and suspenders - something I hadn't seen him wear before.

"Not in the party mood?" I asked coming out from the tent.

He smiled reaching for my hand. "No, I thought I could go on a fun adventure with you."

"In the dark?"

"Not entirely," he shook his head as he pulled out a small flashlight.

I chuckled. "I've never see portable lights work in a long time."

"It's Artin's. Solar he said?"

"Oh! Yes, he got that out of a bin a few weeks ago...he let you burrow that?"

He shrugged. "He seemed to be impressed with my plan!"

"What plan?"

Marius smirked, before leading me towards the road back into the small city.

~*~

The air was lighter this evening than before. It felt more crisp and easier to breathe. It made for a joyful walk.

The guards recognized us from earlier, allowing us to enter back into their territory. No lights illuminated from the street posts anymore, some even contained shattered bulbs. Yet, a few locals had soft fires burning in some of the buildings or out in the streets. They waved our way as they spotted my costume.

When the light from the fires began to dim behind us the shadows began to take the place of light. Marius switched on the small flashlight. It brightened the abandoned houses around us. The broken stone path twinkled back as the shattered fences appeared more artistic than most.

"What're we doing here?" I whispered.

Marius grinned. "This is your new neighbourhood for the night."

He lit the way towards the most untouched house on the cal-de-sac. The white shingles were slightly tinged black from the fumes and dirt, yet the trim held their shape. Windows lined the walls, each boarded with wooden 2x4's, the faded drapes peaked in between.

We stepped up the chipped paint steps. The wood underneath us creaked. I gazed at the open porch as Marius pried the door open. Scratches skimmed the inner edges of the porch, furniture moved back and forth through this foyer - before being permanently planted on their sides by blasts.

"Come on in," Marius called out from inside. "Someone else must have been here. The front door barrier had been broken already."

I grasped his hand as he led me into the dark hallway. His flashlight aimed at the nearest room. A soft tufted couch sat in the middle, facing a cold stone and shiplap fireplace. Old ash skirted the bottom, a few skinny logs remained on top.

My feet walked over to the mantle over the fireplace. Picture frames cracked and shattered, leaving faded photos of a family of four. My fingers traced the dust.

"Why don't you sit," Marius reaches for my hand. "I found matches left behind in the bin this morning."

His face gleamed with excitement with the surprise.

"I hope the logs aren't too old? Seems like no one has been here for a while."

Miraculously, who ever resided here hadn't left too long ago. "Do you think they're still here?" I nervously asked.

Marius shook his head. "The fire would have been lit if they were. Don't worry, just sit a while."

We did. I had positioned myself onto the couch with my feet tucked underneath me, and my arms were wrapped around myself. My eyes watched the fire, it's orange arms reached up into the air.

Marius came by to sit in the edge of the couch, beside me. "Imagine coming to sit in front of this everyday..."

I sighed. "I'd wrap myself up in a large knit blanket. Like the ones I've seen on the billboards sometimes. I'd sit like the ladies on those boards do. Like this, nothing but my arms and legs shown - holding one of those cups with a handle..."

"A mug?"

"A mug!!" I cheered.

Marius chuckled.

"Hey, sit back." I gestured to the cushion behind him. "It's not everyday we get a couch like this."

With a hesitant sigh, his shoulders released tension and he leaned back into the seat.

"Do you think the family used the fireplace often?" I asked.

Marius turned towards me. "I don't know...but, if I lived here, I'd come home and start a fire. Everyday if I could. Then I'd read a nice book or have a nice conversation with my wife before bed."

I smiled. "That sounds nice."

"I think so."

My eyes watched the flickers and specks of the fire, one flew up and traveled across the hall. "Do you want to see what else is in here?" I whispered.

"Let's do it." He stood up and reached for my hand.

Slowly we walked through the halls, light in hand and into the dining room. A long table awaited us. Dressed in a gold runner and white table clothes.

"Oh, imagine all the food that could fit in here!" I gasped.

Marius pulled a seat out and gestured towards it. I happily sat down, my hands never leaving the table.

"I would have a big turkey right in the middle." I grinned as he stepped out the door.

"I'd gave nice wine set up too." Marius whispered as he came back taking a seat beside me, and placing dinnerware down.

"Only the best!"

"We'd eat the best dinner ever. Corn on the cob, smothered in butter and chilli, warm bolillos, and paprika chicken!" He motioned scooping food into my plate.

I laughed at his movements. "Did you make this for me?"

He placed the empty fork into his mouth. "Of course I did!"

"It's delicious!"

"Did you bring dessert?"

"Would I forget?" I teased. "I spent all day making you the best cake ever."

"Chocolate?" He leaned in.

"It's your favourite?"

"I think so?"

I laughed. "Then of course it's chocolate, three soft layers, covered in creamy icing!"

"I love it!" He chuckled wrapping me in a hug before pretending to cut a slice.

"Wait not yet," I faked a gasp. "You have to open your present."

He smirked at me. "For what?"

"Our anniversary." I whispered, lightly punching him on the shoulder.

"Our anniversary? How long?" A small grin escaped the corner of his mouth.

"Um," I mumbled in between snickers.

Marius chuckled at my flustered state. "Ten years..." He whispered.

"Ten?"

"Yes. We're thirty eight, now. We got married at a small ceremony. You looked so happy, wearing the dress you found in the boutique. We've been happy ever since." He leaned in with a smile and kissed my cheek. "Happy anniversary."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.2K 196 10
|| MATURE THEMES || "And you say "Did you even notice, that I, began, to bleed?" And it all goes out of focus, and I hear you start to scream. Help m...
1K 380 39
❣️❀️😍Completed😍❀️❣️ I stood by the window early morning... And saw a sun coming out of it's nest and shining!! Suddenly my eyes fall on a beautiful...
3.1K 370 53
Avery and her younger sister, Aurei must fight the world ever since the fatal fever has spread. Whenever you die, you get resurrect, but you'll never...
777 132 53
"What would you rather? Floating in eternal darkness or...serving me? As my champion?" "Honestly? Neither, why in the world would I choose to be a se...