Master's Vampire (Book 1 of T...

By c_kewpid

Evelyn, a Disabled vampire, slowly learns about feelings after being bought by her Master as a gift for his h... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 16

7.2K 376 99
By c_kewpid

A/N: Happy New Year! :D it's already 2018--UNBELIEVABLE! Hope everyone is enjoying the year so far :D Thank you all who have supported me last year when this was published and hopefully I'll continue to see you all <3

------------

That night, Master didn't leave Alvena's room. That marked the first of many nights that he didn't return to his own room. He no longer wears that distant look because when he looks out the window of his study, he sees Alvena sitting in the garden. Master also seems to smile more and comments that I don't smile enough.

On a regular basis, if not holding meetings with other nobles, Master would be in his study, looking over documents. He explained to me that ever so often, there would be years when work doubled or even tripled. This was one of those times.

"Evelyn," he would call and beckon me over. I would bring him a new stack of papers to look at and he would nod while skimming it over. "Seems like we have to make a visit to the town," he would say after ten minutes.

Town visits are mandatory and will be more frequent as of late due to the strange dwindling human population. I would nod and go along with his town visits.

While London, Adrian and I would collect data on headcount, agriculture harvests, possible concerns, crime rates, and other possible issues, Master would show Alvena around.

Each time without fail, Alvena would return with a smile on her face. Master would usually tuck away his own smile but ever so often, a subtle grin would slip.

So today, when Master calls me in to his study and tells me to head out with only Lucien, I am confused.

"I want you to go in my place," Master says. "Lucien will be here to accompany you in an hour or so."

Master must have noticed something for he openly asks me of my qualms. By now, I myself am confused of how close we are. He allows me to say more than any other servant should be allowed to. When Alvena called me family, Master didn't oppose either.

"This is a very important meeting with Lord Killua."

Killua is the Pureblood guardian of the five Western districts and leader of our army. Not much is known about him except that he is the sole surviving vampire who has witnessed the last war against the wolves. That was over two thousand years ago. People say great things about him, but the stories vary.

"Killua is only frightening in name; however, he's mostly pleasant like Niles. I do not wish to head to town today. I have much work." Master notices the uncertainty in my expression still. "Well, speak your mind if I haven't answered your worries."

"Do you wish not to go because Lady Rosegarden would be present?"

Master pauses before letting out a laugh at my lack of hesitation. In my defense, it was at his prompting.

"Evelyn, aren't you excited to meet with Killua? It's not everyday anyone, including a high noble, can meet a Pureblood."

"Meeting Master is a miracle enough for me."

Master walked over and with his large hand, gently patted me on the head. A strange feeling suddenly fills my heart—something I've never experienced before. That patting of the head is usually awarded to my siblings, not me. And it feels nice.

"You are a sweet child," he whispers. "When you meet Killua, simply report what you know. Go now."

I obey, but can't help feeling that I have wronged Master. When I asked my question, we both knew that Master's heartbeat dropped. Yet he covered it up and didn't even scold me.

Lucien arrived in exactly an hour and was caught off guard when he realized Master wasn't attending. He seemed worried at first but shrugged it off and came to appreciate Master's absence.

"What's with that look Eve~" he asks. "Aren't you enjoying our date?"

My eyes do not return his golden glint. "I am troubled."

Also as of late, Lucien has frequented Argid. Due to our increased interactions, we have established a rather comfortable level of intimacy, or so he claims. Taking his word, I talk to him about anything—anything that bothers me at all—since he usually has some useful intel.

"What's troubling you?" Interest lights up his eyes each time I start talking.

"I don't understand why Master has sent me to meet Lord Killua," I say aloud. "He says he has work, but I feel that Valerie is the true cause of his absence."

Another thing I like about Lucien is that, unlike Master, he answers truthfully without going around in circles.

Lucien sighs and looks out the carriage window. "Some things, my dear, require no confirmation to hold true."

When we arrived at the Army headquarters, the other high nobles were already present. Niles (yes, we have become familiar) only laughed when I told that I will be subbing in for Master.

Master Liam sighed and Valerie looked a bit disappointed. Apparently, according to Lucien, Valerie is closest with Master and seeks him whenever she is nervous or upset. Thus, Master's absence does not sit well with her.

I find it ironic. While Valerie wants to see Master, he avoids her. But what upsets me is that he avoids her for reasons that I don't like.

I do not get to ponder much on these thoughts because soon, a tall, white-haired, pale, and lean vampire walks out. His eyes were of the deepest indigo, with specks of silver decorating his irises like constellations in the midnight sky.

It is known throughout the lands that Purebloods are a most beautiful species; yet few have ever laid eyes on one. Now that I have, I am indeed amazed that a being exists who can possess such beauty, unmatched even by Master.

He spoke with ease at authority, reason with every syllable, and wisdom far beyond the years of his youthful appearance. He was one of us, yet so unlike any of us.

When the meeting came to a close, Lord Killua left without a word. He didn't question me about Master, and I didn't linger around to be questioned by the others.

......

Maybe I was overthinking, I told myself on the way back. But when I found myself in Master's study, I didn't bother to convince myself anymore.

He was staring at the painting of the Rosehold garden, completely lost in thought and oblivious of my appearance.

"Master, I'm home."

He looked up and offered me a obligatory smile. "Welcome back."

"Master, you look sad." I wonder when I started being so casual. But I wonder when Master stopped to mind.

"And what would you recommend me do?"

"You should smile more." That's what he tells me usually.

That luckily brought a less forced smile to his face. However, that disappeared in mere milliseconds.

My eyes land on the glass he is twirling in his hand.

Blood.

Master doesn't drink blood often. He must want to be alone. I turn on my heels.

"Wait," he finally gives up. "Come here." I do as he says. "I'm sorry," he sighs out as he stands in front of me. "Evelyn, one more time, please..."

There is this reluctance, this confused helplessness. Morwenna says it's called sadness. Yes. Master is sad.

"...please close your eyes."

Like a good servant, I do as he says.

But I think I just realized lately, I don't like doing this. Because for me, each time I close my eyes, I feel betrayal. I feel betrayal from Master and I feel I'm betraying my Mistress.

And then, as Master's arms wrap around me and his head rests gently on my shoulders, I feel reluctant and overcome with a confused helplessness.

-----

A/N2: Omigod kewpid. Why are you writing such glum chapters?  >.>  Maybe the next one would be happier?

Thank you all for your encouragement through votes and comments. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

209K 6K 28
Alec's hand gripped my wrist hard, "You're coming with me back to my pack." He stated. "No, I'm not." I pushed myself to say this. His nails were now...
83.5K 3K 36
When Evie was 5 her mom left her and her dad. When her dad couldn't handle his wife leaving him he picks up everything and leaves their hometown. Evi...
142K 5.7K 51
HIGHEST RANKING-1st in wedding! {23/05/18} & 1st in Laugh! {11/08/18} 13th in Romance! {03/12/18} Sequel to Mr Hulk's Jelly Bunny->Can be read as a...
21.9M 866K 84
this story contains adult content!!!! read at own risk. I glared at the vampire before me, pressing myself against the bars of my 'cage' before dro...