The Best Mistake | A Draco Ma...

By sab_stories

After the events of the recent wizarding war, Serena Collins had one goal in mind coming back for her final y... More

Prologue
01 - The Meeting
02 - The Deal
03 - The Origins
04 - The Escape
05 - The Patronus
06 - The Reason
07 - The Aftermath
08 - The Glare
09 - The Box
10 - The Burn Out
11 - The Advice
12 - The Glow
13 - The Chill
14 - The Moonlight
16 - The Visit
17 - The Past
18 - The Dinner
19 - The Prince of Slytherin
20 - The Platinum Trio
21 - The Letter
22 - The Confrontation
23 - The Common Room
24 - The Three Broomsticks
25 - The Ticket
26 - The Dilemma
27 - The Question
28 - The Valentine's Date
29 - The Miscommunication
30 - The Dinner Party
31 - The Field
32 - The Rumour
33 - The Truth
34 - The Plan
35 - The Dress
36 - The Broken
37 - The Talk
38 - The Time
39 - The Trial
40 - The Malfoy Manor
41 - The Family Meeting
42 - The Best Mistake
Acknowledgement

15 - The Reply

1.3K 36 16
By sab_stories

Serena and Draco stood still again as they looked at each other. Draco still hasn't talked or replied when Serena informed him that he had won the deal.

Serena didn't know how she was still standing after that kiss. Her knees were weak and wobbly and she felt like Draco sucked the life out of her. She didn't notice she was holding the back of her chair just for support.

She was about to say something when Draco sneered at her. "I told you I'd win. I'm usually never wrong. So, what now, should I congratulate you? Are you two together now?"

"Ac--"

"I didn't know I was such a good matchmaker. First, Blaise and Pansy, and then Theo and Lovegood, and now you! You're now finally dating the boy you've been in love with ever since" Draco laughed bitterly.

"I am NOT in love with him!" Serena said through gritted teeth. The thought of even loving that jerk was enough to make her blood boil. "I have never said I was in love with him nor will I ever!"

Draco's brow arched "Oh please, of course you will! You're such a pathetic, romantic fool after all"

And because Serena was already feeling all these negative emotions in her, and because Draco out of nowhere kissed her making her all the more confused, and because he made her feel even worse after, she walked over to him and pushed him. Hard. But Draco only stumbled back one step.

They were both glaring at each other, they could see and feel the heat from each other's eyes. Before Serena could talk to him she cast a muffliato spell so that her family wouldn't hear them. "What is wrong with you?! You suddenly appear in my room, kiss me out of nowhere and you have the nerve to insult me?! You're acting like a total arse! What did I ever do to you?!" She screamed at him.

"You did everything to me!" Replied Draco with a voice much louder and angrier.

"What?!"

"You want to know what I want now that I won the deal?!"

"Is this even the right time to--"

"Don't do it" Draco wasn't shouting anymore but his voice was still firm.

"What do you mean?" Serena asked in a whisper. Even if the room was dim she could see the pained expression in Draco's face.

"Be with me instead"

Serena felt the world stop. She paused for a full 5 seconds and then she ran to him and kissed him. All her confusion now washed away with relief, understanding, and happiness.

When Serena didn't answer him, he already accepted their lost friendship. But then he felt her slam into him, her arms wrapped around his neck and her lips on his. He was beyond surprised and confused as well but at the moment he didn't care. He got a better, or the best, response than to what he expected. So he kissed her, but this time it was gentle and sweet, and he held her so tightly.

"Ow-ow" He heard her say, so he let go of her.

"Wow you can really hug the life out of someone" Serena teased and both chuckled. And he liked this, Draco thought. He liked, or rather, he loved hearing their laughter together.

"I don't get it. I thought you said I won, doesn't that mean he likes you?" Draco asked.

Serena nodded. "But then I found out what a huge arsehole he was"

Draco smiled. "I told you! That goody-two-shoes persona is all an act! And you were blind to see it"

"Look, he still did save me from before but yes I was blind"

"What happened? I saw you two kiss!.... Wait you know what, nevermind I don't want to know"

Serena was surprised, "You were spying on us?!"

"No! I was walking around and I saw you... The way you looked at each other, and when you..."

And then Serena understood it all, "Is.. Is that why you were so mad at me? You were actually jealous?"

Draco didn't reply right away and Serena was looking at him, urging for him to answer.

He was looking out the window, he didn't know what to do since he's never been in this position before but he had to say it, he didn't want to do things that would make him regret soon, he already did a lot of those. So he sighed heavily, "I  was and I hated it" he sighed deeply, " and that's because I like you, Serena. I really do"

Serena smiled so brightly and it was her turn to hug him tightly as she said "I like you too Draco, very much"

"Oh, so I'm worthy to be called Draco now?" He asked, hugging her back

"Don't make me take it back" Serena replied.

When both let go of the hug, Draco said "I know I should be happy that you like me back, in which I am, but I can't help but feel bitter"

"Why?

"Because you used to like door matt as well and now me. I don't want to be in the same category as him if that makes sense"

"Actually I've thought about that..." Serena said with her thinking face on, "... I realized that what I had for Tristan was a simple crush, an admiration for what he did and because he was handsome and a 'good person' or so I thought. But you're the one I really like. I've seen what you've done in the past and I know who you are both bad and good and I still like you for who you truly are. So you're the 1st person I've truly liked"

Draco smiled warmly at her. Even if she confessed to him her heart was still doing flips every time he smiles at her like that. "Well then, that makes it all better" Draco said, and then kissed her forehead.

"Oh, I almost forgot, Merry Christmas Draco!" She said happily and hugged him again. She realized how she liked hugging him. She could hug him forever and just stay in his arms, it felt safe and warm.

"Merry Christmas, Serena" Draco replied.

"It's really weird hearing you say my name, but I like it," Serena said, and Draco smiled. It was odd, but in a good way kind of moment, they were having.

"Are you staying for the night?" Serena asked letting go of the hug.

"I didn't know you were so bold Serena but if you want then who am I to say no?" Draco smirked.

"That is not what I meant!" Serena blushed, even if she knew Draco was just teasing her. "I meant that it's 2:30 in the morning! I was merely being polite, but if you want to go then by all means go!"

Draco laughed at her. "I do want to stay but I don't know how your parents will react if they see me here the next morning..." He saw the disappointment in Serena's face and he was amused how childlike she looks. "... But, I do want to visit you tomorrow or later, since it's already 2 am".

Serena smiled again. "I'll be waiting then"

"Goodnight," He said while kissing her forehead again and then he apparated out.

Serena couldn't stop smiling, she could feel her cheeks already getting sore but she was just too happy. Everything was clearer now and she felt lighter and her heart was warmer and she felt like she was going to have the most wonderful sleep. She could not wait for later.

The next day Serena went down late as usual. When she reached the dining area where her whole family was eating and talking, they all stopped what they were doing when they saw her.

"Good morning everyone!" She said cheerfully while sitting in her seat. Still, her family were silent looking at her like she was wearing a silly costume. "Why are you all looking at me like that?" She finally asked.

"You look very happy dear..." Her mother said and she looked at her quizzically. "Is it a crime to be happy mum?"

"No it's not but...."

"You're never this happy when you just woke up. You're usually a zombie when you do and you're dressed rather nicely for someone who just woke up" Benedict said, interrupting his mother.

Serena looked down what she was wearing. It was just a floral top with a knitted cardigan and jeans. It was casual but it was too nice for brunch. She didn't know what time Draco would arrive so she wanted to be prepared when he did. "I don't know I just felt like wearing this" It was her best reply, she didn't want to tell them she expected company.

Which brought the issue of Draco meeting Benedict. It was easier with her parents since they met him before. She was unsure if she should tell them about her and Draco's new relationship, heck she didn't even know if he's her boyfriend despite them confessing to one another. She was the kind of person who didn't assume things, especially on important things like this.

But whatever their current status is, she's still nervous for Draco meeting her brother. Benedict was strict and overprotective of her. She remembered when she was younger around 9 or 10, a boy from school gave her paper flowers and when she shared this with him, he started to wait for her every after school. Later on, the same boy told her that he couldn't like her anymore since her brother lightly threatened him if he would go near her. She sighed at the memory and prayed for Draco's luck later on.

"Something wrong dear?" Her mother asked when she heard her sigh.

Serena shook her head and smiled. "Nothing just remembered something"

Her mother smiled at her and the four of them continued to eat and talk.

----------------------------------------------

"Are you even listening to me?!"

Draco suddenly looked up seeing Pansy, waiting for him to answer. "Mhmmm" was all Draco replied.

"How do you put up with him?" Pansy asked Blaise but Blaise just shrugged.

"You do seem distracted mate," Blaise said.

"I'm going somewhere later and it's just making me nervous that's all" Draco replied, not looking at either of them. He didn't know why he was nervous. He's been there before, even spent the night and met her parents. But something about going back there, now with their new relationship that made his stomach do flips and turns.

"Since when do you get nervous? And where are you going later?" Asked Pansy.

"I didn't know I still had to ask permission from you, mother"

Blaise snorted "Pansy's right Draco. You've been acting weird since you left Hogwarts. You're having all these mood swings. I say, are you having early menopause?"

Pansy laughed but Draco wasn't amused. "Shut up Zabini!"

But both of them continued to snicker and whisper to each other, tormenting Draco. He had enough, he planned on visiting her for dinner but if he stayed here longer, he might be sent to Azkaban for murdering his friends. "I'm leaving," he said standing up and headed to his room to get ready.

"Be back home no later than 9!" Pansy teased.

"And don't talk to strangers!" Blaise added, and the two laughed again hearing Draco slam his door.

Serena was sitting on the swing in their backyard. The last time she checked the clock, it was 4:57. Maybe he's going to visit at dinnertime, it would make more sense. She felt pathetic waiting for him like a kid waiting for the ice cream truck to pass, but she couldn't help it. She was too excited.

She was too focused looking at her feet and didn't notice Benedict sitting on the swing beside her.

"You're deep in thought," he said, while lightly pushing himself on the swing.

Serena smiled. "I'm always deep in thought"

"You're right. So tell me how's school? You've never really talked about it since you arrived"

Serena couldn't help but think about what happened to her lately. If she told him about Tristan, he might just kill him! And then she thought if a muggle would kill a wizard, will the muggle be sent to muggle jail or Azkaban?

"You're deep in thought again" Benedict interrupted her thoughts which were now straying far from the topic.

"Sorry. School has been okay. Very stressful though since it's the year we take our final exams which are known to be very difficult. I almost lost my mind with the mock exams earlier this month"

"Hmm, I wonder if which exams are more difficult. Magic exams or our exams"

Serena thought about it but she really couldn't compare since she's never tried doing a muggle examination. "I don't know really. I don't know what your exams are like so it's hard to compare"

"I guess you're right. You know my workmate saw Pepper going in my flat one night when we're having dinner"

"Oh no, how did he react?" Serena was already smiling imagining all the possible scenarios.

"He went ballistic! Especially when he saw him handing me the letter. He was a very big man Rey, and I swear he ran to the corner trying to avoid Pepper. I don't get how people could get scared of owls, they're adorable!" Benedict laughed, remembering the odd scene.

"I wish I could've seen it and I agree with you there, especially Pepper, she looks so cuddly"

"True. My friend couldn't really see his 'cuddliness' though. He kept asking me questions about how is it possible that an owl could send a letter since doves are the known messengers. He asked if I was Snow White or something like that!"

Serena laughed. "Oh my gosh Ben, I do not want to imagine you in a Snow White outfit!"

"Why not? I think I would look rather dashing in it" he teased.

"Please don't!" She wiped a tear away from all the laughing. "So how did you answer his questions?"

"I told him we saved him when he was a baby owl and we trained him to send letters, like doves. He was still in shock but he believed it"

"Nice save"

Benedict smiled smugly at her. Serena knew that if his brother was ever in Hogwarts, he would be a Slytherin..but then there's also a huge possibility he could be in Gryffindor for his other strong traits such as bravery, and chivalry. Before she could think about it more she heard the doorbell ring and then her heart stopped.

He's here.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.6K 225 86
"Please don't, for one second, ever doubt my love for you. That's the only thing I'm sure of." ** What happens when a Half-blood Hufflepuff sweethear...
80.9K 1.6K 44
{Completed and Editing} You're a muggle-born who had gone to Hogwarts. It was your 4th year there, and you are in the Hufflepuff house & golden trio(...
9.3K 237 35
The war is over. This is a time for new beginnings. This is the time for redemption. When Draco Malfoy receives his letter, he knows he has to go bac...
2.6K 153 19
After the war, everyone returned to Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry to finish their final year at Hogwarts. Hermione Granger is now head...