Lion's Game

By QueenOfShips2000

Formerly known as: Game of Dragons Game of Thrones AU {set before, during, and after Roberts Rebellion} Amara... More

House Lannister
House Targaryen
Playlist
CH 1
CH 2
CH 3
CH 4
CH 5
CH 6
CH 7
CH 8
CH 9
CH 10
CH 11
CH 12
CH 13
CH 14
CH 15
CH 16
CH 18
Update

CH 17

3.1K 67 4
By QueenOfShips2000

Late 282 A.C

"AAAAHHHHH!!"

"Please Amara I need you to push!"

"GAAAHHH!!"

"WAAAHHHH!"

"Amara you have a son."

As the war for the Seven Kingdoms raged on Amara discovered, much to her horror that she was once again with child. She'd conceived enough children to know the signs of pregnancy. It disgusted and chilled to the bone to know she was carrying the child of the man who had raped her. She hardly ate or slept prompting Ashara to offer her the moon tea she had once before. Amara had taken the cup but as she had brought it to her lips something in her couldn't do it.

Perhaps the Seven had put this child in her for a reason, besides if they lost the war it was doubtful the child would live past infancy. Especially, if Cersei was to have her way, Robert would have the Iron Throne and Cersei would have her head.

But as she gazed into the eyes of her newborn son something in her stirred. Soft black hair and deep blue pools much like his father were hard to ignore. Everything about the little boy would tell anyone who asked exactly who his father was. As her pregnancy had progressed she had hidden away in her chambers with her children feigning illness. For a time, as her stomach swelled, it worked the king wanted her and the children kept as far away as possible.

But it would be difficult to hide away now that she had given birth. Certainly many would grow to question the cries of a baby coming from her chambers. As sweet and innocent as the baby was it was difficult to ignore the pain and betrayal his father had caused. The facts were all too plain to ignore,

They were losing the war.....

Battle after battle with heavy losses for the crown forces as Robert smashed their armies. Amara hated to admit it but the battle was something Robert was gifted at. It had been months and still, the crown could gain no advantage over the rebels. King Aerys and his Small Council had sent raven after raven to her father, they were meet with only the wind. It certainly wasn't a good sign for the father of the crown princess to remain silent.

"What are we going to do Amara? We can't stay locked away forever, someone is bound to discover the baby." Ashara gazed down at the little boy sadly, she brushed his cheek with her finger earning a small coo.

Amara glanced down at her son smiling sadly, it was something she'd dreading for months.

"We send them away." Ashara's head shot up to meet her friend's eye. The children were the heirs to the throne and had to be protected in the case the war turned towards Kings Landing.

"You can't possibly mean-"

"I mean it." Her voice was cold and firm, no matter how much it would pain her to do so she needed to make sure her children lived.

"Do as she says Ashara. My wife knows what is best for our family." Both heads shot in towards the doorway. Rhaegar Targaryen who looked as though the war had aged him a few years stood looking in on his wife. Amara's blood turned to ice, she'd never wanted her husband to see her in such a state. She placed her son in Ashara's arms, if she was to face her husband she was going to do it on her own two feet.

"Amara what are y-"

"Ashara take my son to the nursery, lock the door, I wish to have a moment alone with my husband." Ashara opened her mouth to protest, but Amara silenced her with a look that left little room to argue. She bows quickly exiting the room leaving husband and wife alone in the room for the first time in months.

"Amara-"

"Stop, please... I'm too tired to deal with whatever excuse you've concocted to excuse abandoning your family." Amara pulled herself out of bed, not an easy task for someone who had just given birth. Rhaegar silently followed his wife who moved from the bed to a chair in front of the fireplace.

He knelt in front of her grabbing her hand as she gazed into flames.

"What happened?" They both knew the baby she'd just birthed wasn't his. Rhaegar knew that no matter how duty-bound his wife she would never have an affair. Amara opened her mouth as if to tell him what had happened to her, but instead tears formed in her eyes.

Amara refused to be weak in front of the man who had betrayed her. She wiped away the tears and removing her hand from his and stood staring down at him.

"You betrayed me, you betrayed our marriage vows, you who claim to love me betrayed me in every way imaginable. And yes I mean every way, I'm not a stupid woman Rhaegar I have quite the imagination. From the moment I met you, I knew I wanted you and when you said you wanted me too I actually believed you meant it." She let a tear fall down her cheek.

"Do you know what my father said when I told him we were getting married? He said 'be careful with that one my daughter, he'll do what it takes to survive.' You and your words flooded my senses. Your sentences left me defenseless. You built me palaces out of paragraphs, you're a very persuasive man. I've been re-reading your letters searching and scanning for answers for some kind of sign." Scanning Rhaegar's face she saw exactly what she was praying for, remorse. Lyanna may have been wild and exciting but she was not the wife who had loved and cared for him for years.

"You and your father, obsessed with your legacy. Your actions were senseless, reckless, and stupid. Do you know how they perceive you now?! They hate you, your father, and our entire family! I'm erasing myself from the narrative! Let the future wonder how Amara reacted when you broke her heart. You have torn it all apart, I'm watching it burn...the world has no right to my heart, the world has no place in our bed. I'm burning the memories, burning the letters that might have redeemed you. You forfeit all rights to my heart! You forfeit the place in our bed! You'll sleep in your study instead with only the memories of when you were mine..." As Amara finished both she and Rhaegar had tears in their eyes. It was a rare sight to see the prince brought to tears, Amara had only seen it twice. She turned her back to the man she had once been proud to call her husband.

"I hope that you burn. But not before making that bastard pay for what he did to me."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rhaegar was dead

Her husband had failed her....He had left her alone in a court full of vultures who were already circling. It was only a matter of time before the rebels were upon them, news was already pouring their way that the rebels were turning towards Kings Landing. They were going to die, it was something no one wanted to believe but everyone saw. Tywin Lannister had yet to respond to any raven sent by the king, Amara and Jaime knew he was waiting, the lion only stirred when it smelled blood.

After the Battle of the Trident, there was plenty of blood to tempt the lion

"They're coming, you know that right?" Her brother asked as he escorted her back to her chambers. Since her assault Jaime had refused to leave her side, he'd failed once and refused to do so again. Amara admired her brother's sense of duty, and so she didn't have the heart to tell him of her plan.

"I'm all too aware of our fate. The rebels aren't going to spare my life much less that of my children." Amara's voice had lost all emotion. Her husband had betrayed her and now her husband was dead. She knew she would soon follow her husband into death, her children would avenge them.

"I'm sure if you wrote to father he'd-" Amara grabbed her brother by the wrist. His hope was ill-placed, but he was still a boy and boys would learn.

"Father would do what? Let me live? I am the prince's wife I have birthed the prince's heirs. Jaime...I'm tired, I'm so tired maybe I want to go." She walked ahead of her brother ignoring Jaime's sad and sympathetic look.

She was ready to give her life if it meant her children would come back and kill those she could not.

"Thank you Rhaella, I'm going to miss you terribly." King Aerys had deemed it unsafe to keep his pregnant wife and young son. But for his son's wife and children, they were to remain within the castle walls. House Lannister had failed to aide his son at the Trident and the king had seen that as the worst betrayal of all.

"Keep your chin high my daughter, he wouldn't want us to cry." Amara nodded as she knew which he, she had meant. Amara kissed the forehead of her youngest son and daughter before passing them over to their grandmother and handmaiden. Ensuring that her youngest children could be shipped away with their grandmother in secret.

The plan was simple Rhaenyra and Daegon were to be shipped away with Rhaella, Aerion to be sent off to a trusted dornish servant to take him to Sunspear, it was her other three children she was unsure where to send.

But soon the Seven would see her children sent far from her.... All but one

WRITTEN: January 3, 2018

EDITED: August 3, 2021

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

122K 3K 41
Summary: What if Robert did marry Lyanna Stark and they had a daughter Cassana Baratheon second of her name. However, after 3 years of marriage princ...
6.9K 417 37
The young former Princess Visenya, and now Maegelle Targaryen, after the death of King Robert I Baratheon can finally come to King's Landing without...
240K 6.2K 30
[SLOWLY EDITING] Mare Dalyngridge was a peasant girl that was caught in the middle of a war. She thought that she could survive without a scratch, bu...
24.7K 694 9
what happen when people from past before Robert rebellion and targaryen ancestors watch the life of zhaenyra targaryen, first and trueborn daughter o...