A Secret Service [NOW PUBLISH...

By joymoment

Now available in paperback! "I LOVE IT!" - CarniaHolmes "I'm going to break your nose, because I don't like... More

Would you look at that cast?!
An author's note. 🙄 Wow, I'm so surprised.
Chapter 1 - "So enters wonder boy."
Chapter 2 - "You really have no boundaries, do you?"
Chapter 3 - "I'm going to break your nose, because I don't like your face."
Chapter 4 - "Owens, do you ever shut up?"
Chapter 5 - "This won't hurt you one bit."
Chapter 6 - "I convey a moody persona?"
Chapter 7 -"Try to keep up, old man."
Chapter 8 -"I never pegged either of you as the skittish type."
Chapter 9 -"You're kind of cute when you're flirting."
Chapter 10 - "Funny one, Carter."
Chapter 11 - "Why did you lie to me?"
Chapter 12 - "There's nothing to say for now, Carter."
Chapter 13 - "I can't ever lose him."
Chapter 14 - "How did you know?"
Chapter 15 - "Why I do favors for people is beyond me."
Chapter 16 - "I prefer a swift punch."
Chapter 17 - "You look nice, Sarge."
Chapter 18 -"Play nice."
Chapter 19 - "How can he be so clueless?"
Chapter 20 - "Get. The. Hell. Out."
Chapter 21 - "People fail you."
Chapter 22 - "You want to crash here on the couch?"
Chapter 23 -"She can't just show up and do this to us!"
Chapter 24 - "You don't have to talk to her."
Chapter 25 - "Were you waiting for us?"
Chapter 26 - "Don't assume you know everything."
Chapter 27 - "You don't have to say it."
Chapter 28 - "I didn't think I would see you again."
Chapter 29 - "You look hot."
Chapter 30 - "How badly did I screw up?"
Chapter 31 - "I said it was fine."
Chapter 32 - "I know it's not a date, it was a slip of the tongue."
Chapter 33 - "Look, I can't tell you."
Chapter 34 - "Do you ever regret it?"
Chapter 35 - "She knows, Jay."
Chapter 36 - "Does it look like I'm joking?"
Chapter 37 - "Donovan, just talk to me."
Chapter 38 - "Don't punch me if you lose."
Chapter 39 - "I do not want your pity or sympathy."
Chapter 40 - "Let's go find Link."
Chapter 41 - "Split up."
Chapter 42 - "Get out of my way."
Chapter 43 - "You ready?"
Chapter 44 - "Who am I speaking to?"
Chapter 45 - "You got my message."
Chapter 46 - "It doesn't mean it's okay."
Just one minute, that's all I ask of you.
Epilogue
NOW PUBLISHED!!
A Secret Service Special Surprise
Chapter 1 (Donovan's POV)
Special Scene Snippets
A Cross-Over Special
The secrets behind A Secret Service
Don't hate me! It's only a cover gallery.
Duck and cover gallery!
Take cover gallery!
The Story Continues!

Chapter 47 - "Then I can kiss you again."

476K 23.2K 22.6K
By joymoment

The mahogany clock in the corner ticked on, as it had for many years already and would continue for many years to come. The morning light cascaded through the windows and washed over the desk and the office's occupants. The sky was clear, a vivid blue color holding the promise of summer and freedom.

Carter sat straight in her chair, her expression calm as she gave Principal Withers her full attention. The room was immaculate, just as the rest of the school. There was not a single sign that over a week ago the school had been flooded with knock out gas, military trained insurgents and FBI retrieval teams. Everything was as it should be.

Principal Withers glanced from Carter to her father, his hands clasped and resting on his desk.

"Mr. Owens," he said. "I understand you're busy, but I appreciate you giving me a minute of your time. I was told that you and your daughter were one of the reasons why the incident that occurred here didn't become a major catastrophe." He shifted his gaze to Carter, respect mingling with his gratitude. "I want to offer my thanks to both of you."

"We were glad we could help," Carter's father said.

Carter smiled, the look a mixture of playful and unconcerned. "Of course. What's a couple bruised ribs when it comes to hundreds of lives?"

Despite himself, Principal Withers grinned good-naturedly. Her face still wore the purple bruises of her fight. When she moved too quickly, her ribs woke up and yelled at her, but the worst of the pain was over.

His gaze flickered to her face then shifted to her father.

"As you are probably aware," he said, "this last week without students has given us a chance to update all our security measures. The school is now stronger than ever."

Steve nodded. "That's good to hear." He stood and buttoned his jacket. "I hate to be rude, but my time is limited."

Principal Withers rose and stretched out his hand. "I completely understand. Thank you again."

Carter pushed herself up and grinned at him. "Does this mean I get a free pass to skip fourth period?"

Though his face went hard, there was a quiet amusement in his eyes. "No, it does not. And please refrain from challenging Mr. Harris on every point. He needs to be able to finish teaching his calculus lesson."

She gave a nod, catching, from the corner of her eye, a faint smile on her father's face.

"Got it."

Following her father out, Carter hooked her bag over her shoulder. As they passed through to the office door, Carter glanced to the wall, the wall that she had smashed into. Memories shot through her mind, the effect of it halting her steps as her eyes went distant.

Her father looked back, noticing the expression and the spot her gaze was riveted to. Without a word, he laid a hand on her shoulder. His touch brought her back to herself. She looked up at him. He smiled, though his eyes held a piece of worry. She returned the smile, trying to ease some of his emotion.

They said nothing.

As they continued out of the office, the hallways were slowly beginning to fill with returning students. The tones that pinged off the spotless walls and gleaming floors were ones of speculation and intrigue. In the faces of the first students, Carter saw no concern over their last encounter in the school. The fact that they had woken up not knowing what had happened didn't bother them. Over the week, the news stations had given contradictory stories on what had occurred. None of it was the truth.

Her father pushed through the front doors and sweet, summer air greeted them. Lines of sleek cars trickled in through the gates and down the gravel drive. Despite the incident, there were only half a dozen transfers. Most parents assumed that if the President was still allowing his son to attend the school, it was safe to send their children as well.

Carter avoided passing students as she followed her father to the parking lot. When they reached the black SUV, he turned and looked at her. She gave him a small smile, despite the conflicting emotions that suddenly filled her chest.

"Maggie says Friday works for going out to dinner," he said.

Carter crossed her arms and leaned against the car.

"You know it kills the mood on a date if you bring your daughter," she said.

Her father's eyes narrowed dangerously.

"I'm not leaving you in an empty apartment. Not now that you have a Marine boyfriend."

"We haven't officially put labels on it."

"He was kissing you. I'm putting a label on it. Since it can't be deceased, boyfriend will have to do."

Carter's smile widened. Her father's expression didn't lighten.

"That also reminds me," he said. "I need to install security cameras."

She let out a bright laugh. "Like I don't know how to disable those."

Her father's frown deepened but the look held no anger. When he dug into his pocket and pulled out his keys, the laughter slipped from Carter's face in small pieces.

"You're still at a desk today."

"Still at a desk."

"I know many of those paper pushers are gung-ho but there's no need to get shot. Again."

The joke didn't land, the look in her eyes taking the joviality out of it. Her father pulled her into a hug. Carter held onto him, gripping his black suit jacket with a silent intensity.

"I love you, Sarge."

Her hold on him tightened. "I love you too, Captain."

The words seemed to hurt as they came out. When he pulled away, she fixed her expression into something resembling calm. Her father smiled, seeing through it. Kissing the top of her head, he then climbed into the car. Carter approached the window.

"You know you'll have to take Maggie on a date that's just the two of you eventually," she said.

"I'll do that once I know I can really trust this Marine boyfriend of yours. Till then it's the three of us."

"You're just using me to avoid commitment."

His lips curled. "I'll see you at home."

A joke rose to Carter's mind but her mouth couldn't manage it. Instead, she said a single word. "Promise?"

He nodded. "Promise."

***********************

The volume of voices had risen considerably when Carter reentered the school. Gossip tripped off people's lips and buzzed from phone to phone. Students swapped stories, none of them true and always growing further from the truth with each telling.

Carter made her way through the excited throng, heading towards her first period. No one looked her way. No one knew what part she had played a week ago. She was approaching her classroom when she spotted Link and Maddie huddled close together. Their heads were touching and their words were barely audible. Carter shifted her gaze across the way. A familiar sight made her stop.

A sight that lessened some of the tightness in her chest, and calmed her storming thoughts.

Donovan leaned against a set of lockers, his hands were tucked away in the pocket of his slacks, his ankles crossed. A collection of girls had formed a semi circle around him. He wore a blank look, though his eyes never settled on anything for longer than a second.

Unnoticed by him, Carter gave herself a moment to see what everyone else saw. What kept the girls near him, in spite of his lack of responses. His dark blue eyes were centered in a handsome face. A face that stood above a lean, built physique. Even the bruises, that were now an ugly purple color, added to the captivating image.

"Where did you get the bruises?" one girl asked. "Was it from the people who attacked the school?" Her face became animated. "Did you fight them?"

"Why would I be fighting people who attacked the school?" Donovan asked the girl, his tone patronizing.

She tossed her hair over her shoulder. "Because clearly you're strong enough to do that."

He gave her a look so flat even she would have had a hard time misreading his thought of 'stupid'.

A half smile came to Carter's lips. She moved forward and tapped one of the girls on the shoulder. When the girl twisted around, Carter slipped into the circle. Donovan's eyes latched on to her and he straightened. For once, his gaze was still. The girl closest to him let out an annoyed huff.

"Owens, don't you have somewhere better to be?" she said. "I don't know, like detention or juvie?"

Donovan brought his hand up to Carter's face and gently caressed her bruised cheek with his thumb.

"I don't think so," she said. "I'm happy right where I am."

Taking hold of the edge of his blazer, she leaned in and kissed him. He cupped the back of her head. Around them girls let out gasps of surprise, while other's glared with grinding teeth. The retreating of shoes made Carter smile.

She broke away and looked at Donovan.

"That was way too much fun," she said.

"What? Kissing me? Or making those girls jealous?"

She smirked. "A little of both."

The edge of his mouth curved upward. He kissed her once more.

"Technically," he said, his voice so quiet it only reached her ears, "I'm working."

"And I'm helping you keep your cover," she said, matching his volume. "Besides, from the reflection of that classroom window," she nodded to a pane of glass beside an open doorway, "I can see Link. So far, still alive."

Donovan shook his head in disbelief, chuckling.

"Then I can kiss you again," he said.

"If you don't, you'll have bigger problems on your hands besides Link's safety. Your safety for instance."

"Carter, are you always going to be threatening me when it comes to acts of affection?"

"Are you always going to analyze everything I do?"

"Are you going to constantly question my motives?"

"Are you ever going to shut up?"

"Is this going to be difficult?"

"Donovan, did you want it to be easy?"

The edge of his lip curled as a challenged spark deepened the color of his blue eyes. He kissed her in response. His lips were soft and seem to drive all thoughts from her mind.

When they broke apart, she left her hands resting against his chest for a second longer, then pulled back, sliding her hands into her pockets. Donovan dropped his hands, giving her a studying look.

"What?"

"Captain has given you the label of 'boyfriend'."

Donovan's eyebrows rose as he crossed his arms. "Does this mean I have his approval? I know we left on good terms, but I still had the feeling I should sleep with a gun under my pillow."

Carter gave him a teasing look. "Don't you anyways?"

"Yes, but I would have the safety off."

She smiled. "He still has his reservations about you. But I believe that will change in time."

Donovan's lips twitched, then his expression went serious as he stared at her.

"How do you feel about the label?"

"That depends?" she said.

"On?"

"On how you feel about dating me? I am still a high school girl after all."

Donovan's eyes turned playful, a smirk hiding just out of reach. "That depends."

Carter gave him a suspicious look. "On?"

"On whether you can you hit a target from twenty yards with a 9mm Glock?"

She fought back a laugh, her cheeks coloring.

"I can," she said.

Donovan cupped her face and kissed her. "Then I have no problem dating you."

The bell rang bringing their reality back to them. All around them groups split and slipped into doorways, down hallways and up stairways. The school moved as if nothing had ever changed.

Carter turned away from Donovan and looked to Link. He kissed Maddie, then watched as she walked off. Before she rounded a corner, she sent him one last wave and smile. The sight of it brought a rebellious grin to his lips.

Link spun towards the classroom and froze when he saw Carter and Donovan standing side by side. He smothered the telling look and walked up to them.

"Happy?" Carter asked, giving him a quiet smile.

He nodded. "Yeah. You?"

The image of her father driving away popped into her head, making her expression slip. But Donovan's steady presence beside her didn't let her expression fall too far.

"Yeah," she said. "Let's get to class, if we're lucky there will be a pop quiz."

Link chuckled. "He seems to give a large amount of those, doesn't he?"

"It would seem so."

They walked into the room and took their normal seats. For a second, Carter was yanked back to the fight that took place there. She twisted in her seat and looked back at Donovan. Their gazes met, in an instant, she knew he was having the same stir of memories. His eyes dropped to her arm, his brow inching together in concern.

"It's fine," Carter mouthed, barely feeling where the stitches pulled at her skin.

He gave a nod, the look defused. She shifted back around and found Link staring at her.

"How are you doing?" he asked, his gaze settled on the side of her face. His features tightened as if feeling the pain of the blow that had inflicted the bruises.

"I'm okay," she said. "I can take a few punches."

He nodded. His attention then jumped to the doorway, as Mason walked in, followed by Smith. The two brothers' eyes met. The animosity between them was no longer there. In its place was a silent acknowledgment. Mason gave the barest hint of a nod to Link.

"Did you two talk?" Carter asked.

Link looked down at the table and shook his head.

"No. I don't think we ever will. He knows and there is not a lot to say on the matter."

His voice was resigned, accepting his situation. Carter said nothing, instead she simply took his hand and squeezed it. He held her gaze, understanding shared between them. As the bell rang again, Mr. Miller stood up.

"Alright," he said. "I know it's been a week since you've been here, but you know how this works. Phones away. If it rings or dings, it's mine."

***************************

Carter pushed through the library doors. The hushed room was a vast contrast to the hectic hallways outside. Only a few students had made it in before her. They sat quietly at tables, entrenched in their thoughts or form of distraction.

She gazed around the rows of shelves, feeling wisps of memories tug at her. When her focus landed on Patty, she pushed the thoughts away. The librarian glanced up from her desk as Carter walked over.

"You haven't been causing fights in my library, have you?" she asked.

Carter pointed to herself, looking surprised. "Who me? Never."

Patty smiled, a look that held a secret in it. "It's been rumored around the teacher's lounge that it was a couple of students that caused the incident. You wouldn't happen to know anything about that, would you?"

Carter put on her best innocent face.

"I'm just a student. How would I know such things?"

Patty leaned on her desk and peered at Carter through her round glasses. "Because you seem to know everything."

"Like the fact that it's going extremely well with Mr. Miller and you spent most of the break with him?"

Patty's cheeks flushed and she shifted back, confirming Carter's deduction.

"For instance, things like that," she said. "I would ask how you know but I'll stop myself."

Carter smiled and took a step back. "Actually, I made a guess."

The librarian shook her head, wearing an amused grin. The doors opened and Donovan and Link walked in. Carter gave a wave to Patty and fell into step alongside the two guys.

"Time to talk?" Donovan asked.

Instead of answering him, Carter glanced at Link. "Is Maddie coming?"

"No, she had a test she needed to look over."

"You two work everything out?" she asked.

He nodded. "Yeah, waking up from being gassed, in her classroom, kind of wiped our argument out."

"Good."

She guided them up to the second story and a far back corner where they wouldn't be overheard. She sank to the floor, her back pressed against the wall. Donovan took the wall adjacent to her, Link took the spot opposite. He gave the library the same look Carter had minutes before.

"Does anyone else find it weird how normal it all looks?" he asked.

Donovan dug his hands into his pockets, not responding. Carter nodded in agreement.

"I find it strange. I'm also impressed that they've managed to keep the entire thing quiet." She gave a shrug. "Though when it's in the President's best interest, I suppose it's possible."

Link gave a small chuckle. "I know what you mean. I've heard so many different theories today on what happened here and none of them were close to the truth." He raised his hands. "I'm not mad about that. It means I'm still safe. It's just weird no one knows. Even the excuse for Mr. Philip's absence was a 'life emergency'." He scratched the back of his neck. "Do we even know what really happened?"

Carter and Donovan looked at each other, their minds jumping back.

"I know you two know," Link said, "but do you know why?"

Donovan held Carter's gaze, his look a question.

"Yeah," she said, breaking away to glance at Link. "I finally managed to get my dad to tell me." She turned her attention back to Donovan. "Did you get anything from Brock?"

He shook his head. "He isn't in a high enough position to be in the know. And I was told I would be notified if there was any information that was pertinent to my job."

"So basically, they aren't going to share with you?" Carter said.

Donovan's mouth twitched and he gave a single nod. "Exactly."

"I guess it's a good thing that my father is trying to make up for crushing my heart then."

The comment came off carefree, but when she looked at Donovan, his eyes were studying her. In a single glance, silent words of encouragement and reassurance passed between them. Link leaned over his crossed legs.

"What did happen?"

"It was Mr. Philips," she said. "He was working with your father back when he was still a Senator, right as he was making plans to run for President. Philips was your father's assistant. And your father was the reason Philips was black balled from politics." Carter shrugged. "My dad didn't go into details about what happened, but Philips knew about you. It seems you were the source of their conflict."

Link scowled at the news. "You think he knew who I was when I showed up?"

"Yes," Carter said, her gaze flashing to Donovan.

"You don't have to say it," she said.

"I know, but I need to."

Link frowned in annoyance. "Are you doing that thing again where you both understand each other without actually saying anything?"

Carter chuckled, but didn't look at Link.

"I should have listened to you," Donovan said, his voice quiet.

"It's okay. He's safe," Carter reassured him.

Link rolled his eyes and shook his head.

"This is going to get old fast," he said.

Carter focused back on Link and nudged his knee with her shoe.

"You and Maddie have your own way of silently communicating."

Link pointed at her, his face defiant. "No, it's not the same. I can tell when she wants to say something or kiss me, but that's about it. You two have full blown conversations without saying anything. It's not natural."

Carter gave him a flat look. "Do you want to hear the rest of my information or keep nitpicking over the oddities of Donovan's and my relationship?"

"Information," he said, "But it's still odd."

Carter fought back a smile.

"Philips also knew Ben, the ex-military janitor, from his days of working with Douglas." Her gaze went soft as she looked at Link. "Apparently Douglas sanctioned an Op even after knowing the high level of risks involved." She paused for a breath. "Twenty men were killed."

Link swallowed and nodded slowly, the pain of the news clear in his eyes.

"When Ben came back from the Op with only half of his platoon," she continued, "he was broken. He returned home to find the man that was responsible for the lives of his friends was now the President. Philips made contact. Both men had something against Douglas."

Link was staring down at the ground, frowning. A question popped into his mind and he looked up at Carter.

"Why me?"

She shifted as if the answer made her uncomfortable. Donovan read the meaning behind the movement and looked at Link.

"It's because you're the same age as Mason and illegitimate," he said, the last word spoken gently.

Clarity hit Link and he gave a self loathing chuckle.

"Of course," he said. "I'm the thing that breaks my dad's image of upstanding and wholesome."

His gaze dropped to the floor, his eyes took on a sad, weary look. A scowl crept over Carter's face as she saw the hurt in the slope of Link's shoulders.

"I could just punch him," she said, her voice low and menacing, her fingers forming fists.

Link raised his head. The pure outrage on his defense made him smile, a smile full of amusement and sorrow.

"Then I would have a black-eyed father and you would be arrested. It's probably not the best plan of action."

"But you deserve better," she said, her tone heavy with conviction.

He shrugged. "And so do you. And so does Donovan for that matter, but that doesn't change facts."

"Yes," Carter said, sadly, "but it also doesn't mean I don't wish better for you."

Link stared at her, his eyes serious with flecks of intrigue burning in them.

"You really mean that, don't you?"

"If I didn't mean it, I wouldn't have said it." She bumped her shoe against his knee again.

After a moment's pause, Link spoke.

"What were their plans then?"

Carter gave a vague shrug. "It seems they were going to kidnap you or something so they could use you to expose the President for being adulterous."

"Would simply exposing the President really be worth it for them if they were caught?" Link asked.

She shrugged again.

"To them it did apparently," she said. "I don't know if there was more to their plan. That was all my dad was willing to tell me."

Link stared at her for a long moment but didn't see her, his mind absorbing the information. He felt the weight of the scenarios that didn't end up with him sitting on the library floor. Carter and Donovan remained silent. They watched as he processed everything.

Eventually, Link's gaze focused and he looked between them. A thought tugged at the corner of his mouth. He rubbed the back of his neck.

"Thanks for making sure that didn't happen," he said.

Donovan nodded and Carter sent him a warm grin.

"Really, I should be thanking you," she said.

Link gave her a baffled look and Donovan's eyebrows rose half a centimeter.

"It gave me an excuse to hit someone and run around the underground tunnels."

Link burst out laughing, the gesture releasing his burdened thoughts. Donovan narrowed his eyes.

"I meant to ask you how you know about those," he said.

Carter look at him with a flat expression. "You're joking. I figured out the school had security tunnels my second semester here."

Link's eyes went wide. "Seriously?"

"Yeah," she said. "You know the windows in the English wing? The last one butts up against the wall, but only from the inside. I asked my dad about it." Her lips curved with a memory. "Getting him to admit to me about the tunnels was what took the longest time. It took another two years to find all the entrances."

Donovan chuckled while Link laughed again.

"It's a good thing you're stubborn and observant," Donovan said. "I knew where the entrances were but hadn't had the chance to visit them yet."

Carter looked at him, her smile teasing. "What you're saying then is that you would have been lost without me?"

His features shifted to an unimpressed look. Her smile widened, until it broke away Donovan's expression and put something softer in it's place. Link leaned forward on his knees, his gaze darting back and forth.

"Are Maddie and I this annoying?" he asked.

"Yes," both Carter and Donovan said.

Link shrugged, unconcerned.

"Alright. Then I won't complain." A thought struck him. "Wait, earlier you said that your dad told you all of this because he crushed your heart. What did you mean?"

The smile slipped from Carter's face, until all that was left was a sad look. Donovan looked at her, seeing the hurt that clung to her. His own eyes held a touch of sympathy that she took solace in.

"He signed back up for two more years with the secret service," she said. "He will be finishing out his protection detail by your father's side."

"Carter, I'm sorry," Link said.

"Yeah, well, that's life, right?" She smiled, dispersing the cloud that had formed over them. "At least it makes my choice of college clear."

"How come?"

"Well, I want to be as close to him as I can be in case anything happens. So Georgetown it is."

Donovan's quiet smile betrayed his feelings on the matter. Link's eyebrows shot up and he straightened, a grin skipping across his face.

"You'll be with us!"

Carter felt her heart lighten at the thought. "Yup, it looks like you're stuck with me."

"That doesn't sound too bad," Donovan said, his eyes holding hers.

"Not at all," Link said. "Cause clearly it takes two of you to keep me out of trouble."

Carter laughed, the sound girlish as it drifted away into the library's silence.

"That's true. I can be your second bodyguard," she said, winking at Link. Her smile was wide and open. "It will be my secret service."

**********************************************************************

Okay....just give me a minute...

This is the last chapter...wow...I don't even know what to say...

*goes into a corner and starts crying silently*

Part of me never wanted this book to end. Part of me - the part that has 30 other stories ideas crowding my head - was ready to move on to the next book. To jump to something new, discover new characters.

But now that it's here...well all I can say is that it's been a wild ride and one that I know I will never regret taking. And one that I'm thrilled I got to share with you. ☺️

HEADS UP! Before I get into questions you should know I posted a book full of chapters from Donovan's POV, so you have something more after you read all the Specials! Enjoy!

Now to the questions! ☺️

Favorite moments?

(Haha too many to count but when Carter almost breaks the guy's wrist has to be up there)

Something that surprised you?

(You already know mine is when her mother showed up. Didn't see that one coming.)

Final thoughts?

(Onward and upwards)

For old times sake. Vote, comment and follow.

I know Grant 🙈 It's so sad. It's actually over. Gosh now I may really cry because he's crying and you know I'm sympathetic crier.

Cheer up dearest chum! There is still an epilogue to come!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.2K 540 36
The one who has eyes on her. The one who is hiding from him. The one who needs her. The one who lusts her. The one who cares for him. The one who pro...
307K 9.1K 61
"I wouldn't mind watching you. Maybe we could tan together this summer." He suggested. "Without having tan lines." I could feel the smirk playing on...
158K 5.1K 49
His faint laugh stopped me in my tracks, my body turning sightly to look at him again. "That was cute. Really, I loved it, but you know I can't just...
209K 5.8K 61
"I need you to be the put together one because I'm so fucked up. You've saved me." He whispers. "Carter, we saved each other." I mutter looking at hi...