BORROWED [Watty Awards Finali...

By Jilleigh

BOOK #1 [A Watty Finalist & Newly Edited!] The Swarm - thought to have originated from biological warfare, ar... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter: Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty-one
Author's Note & Acknowledgements
Second Prototype: Kyler's Story ( 1 )
Second Prototype- Kyler's Story ( 2 )
Second Prototype: Kyler's Story ( 3 )
[UPDATE]: Please Read
[UPDATE#2] Comments/Suggestions
[SNEAK PEEK] Chapter One/Revamped Version
[SNEAK PEEK #2] Chapter Two (second draft/revamped version)
[SNEAK PEEK #3] Chapter Three (second draft/revised): Orientation
It's official! Another title...
*NEW* Draft5 [ Chapter One ]
BLURB: What do you think?
Sequel?
DRAFT 5: Chapter | 2 | Happy Doomsday
DRAFT 5: Chapter | 3 | Orientation
GUESS WHAT?! GREAT NEWS!

Chapter Thirty

8.8K 146 39
By Jilleigh

|Shattered|

"Hey, beautiful," a male voice calls out.

"I hope you're not talking about me," I reply sheepishly.

A hand touches my shoulder. "Even now, you're the most beautiful girl I've ever known."

My face grows warm. "Finn, I know that's you..." I want to turn my head and face him directly, but I can't. Some force hinders me from doing so.

His laugh is full of kindness. "Look at yourself if you don't believe me."

His hand guides me around until I face a mirror. It isn't Finn who is revealed by the reflection in the mirror. Sylas is resting his hand on top of my right shoulder, coaxing me to look at my image.

But this can't be my reflection. This reflection is a Seraph's but with my features.

Screaming, I look away. "Stop this!"

"This is who you truly are, Irissa," Sylas chuckles, running his fingers down the back of my head, threading them through the dark brown strands.

This girl staring back at me with ashen skin, so pale, that you can see her blue veins coursing beneath the surface. Her hair and those eyes, those lips and that nose, those are mine.

This girl is me. I'm the prototype. I'm the one that started it all.

"Wake me up from this dream," I say softly, close to tears.

Sylas disappears into the darkness.

"Wake up," two male voices simultaneously echo one another, yet their distinct tones make me blink my eyes. Finn and Kyler stand behind me, shaking my shoulders.

The Mother Chamber shudders, making my eyes open quickly, awakening me from my dream. Straight ahead, through the bubbles floating to the surface, smoke clouds the outside area. Chaos erupts, people running left and right. Sylas's lab workers frantically exit the laboratory.

Bending my knees, I raise the bottom of my feet to the side of the glass and kick with all of my strength. I'm getting nowhere. A loud beep echoes through the water, piercing my eardrums.

What is that noise?

My lungs grow heavy, crushing like a ton of bricks lying on my chest. The weakness that overcomes me suddenly sets me in panic mode. The oxygen is running out.

Pounding my fists against the glass, I want to scream, but I can't. The mask is covering my mouth and nose. More figures rush around the glass tubes surrounding me. But none of them stop. None of them realize I'm right here.

Blasts of fire and smoke continue to engulf the laboratory. The Syndicate are pouring in. Muffled gunfire ricochets from the outside. A bullet hits the glass casing of my tube. It doesn't penetrate, but only leaves a spider webbed crack directly in front of my vision.

I'm not getting oxygen.

It's run out.

Gripping the mask, I tear it away from my face. The only chance I have now is if someone from the outside recognizes me. Before, I looked like every other female Seraph floating inside a chamber.

Splashing frantically, I hold my breath. The longest I've ever held my breath is only a minute. That's all I have now, one minute before I slip from this world.

Everything is becoming clearer.

As my minute is winding down, I can slowly feel myself slipping away. All the gunfire, smoke, and explosions seem distant. Now there is only a strange calmness washing over me. Blinking my eyes rapidly, tiny bubbles escaping my mouth attach themselves to the tips of my eye lashes. I gulp sporadically, trying to catch a breath, but only inhaling small amounts of water.

My lungs fill with water. The space around me begins to flicker. I'm blacking out, and there is no turning back. Last thoughts muddle in my mind.

Finn, Bianca, Kyler...Evelyn.

Images flashing, some of them are sad, but surprisingly, most of them contain smiling and laughter.

I can die on this note, I think silently in my drowning thoughts.

Two dark figures emerge from the smoke. I'm unable to hold on any longer. I close my eyes and listen to the remaining beats of my heart.

                                                                        ~*~

"Irissa!"

Did I die? This voice...

"Please, breathe..." a male voice cries out.

Another voice says, "Move over, let me try!"

Hands and lips...

 "Is it working?"

Finn! I'm okay. Can't you hear me?

"I think I've got a pulse," the other male says.

Yes, Kyler, it's my pulse. I'm alive!

Fluttering my eyes, I open them wide, and sit forward quickly, nearly bumping my head into Kyler's. Water pours from my mouth as I struggle to gasp for air. Kyler pulls my shoulders forward, allowing my forehead to rest on his leg.

"You're alive..." Kyler sounds surprised. His hand rests on the top of my back while I continue to gain even breaths.

Finn cups my face with both his hands. "I thought I lost you," he says, tears settle on his lower eyelids.

I choke out my words, "How did you guys – "

"Don't speak, just breathe," Finn says. "We had to resuscitate you. Well, Kyler did." His brows furrow when mentioning Kyler in that context.

Gunfire continues nearby as smoke swirls around us.

"Thank you," I say breathily, looking back and forth between the two of them. Kyler nods shyly. Finn takes my hand in his and pulls me into an embrace. I nestle my chin on his shoulder, running my other hand across the back of his neck.

"Think you can walk?" Kyler says and stands. He looks down at me, holding out his hand. I push away from Finn and nod.

"I think so," I reply, grabbing hold of Kyler's free hand. He pulls me up, and I wobble a bit, falling forward.

"Steady," he laughs lightly, holding me in place. "There you go."

 The smoke is thickening, burning my already fragile lungs.

I take Finn's hand as he settles next to me. It feels like the three of us are standing in a middle of a land mine. The Mother Chambers, still lit up with fluorescent lights, continue to harbor the Seraphim floating inside untouched.

"Where's Sylas?" I frantically scan the area, and all I see is fire and people running back and forth.

Kyler and Finn look at one another skeptically.

"Where is he?" I press further, jerking Finn by the arm so he faces me.

"He's gone, Iris," he answers.

"Gone?"

Kyler steps forward, touching my arm. "Sylas escaped the laboratory before we got in. But I think he's still in the building, so we need to move fast," he suggests.

I nod. "Get me a gun."

Finn interjects, "You're too weak. I don't want to see you get killed!"

"I almost died Finn," I say sternly. "At least if there is another chance of dying, I want to go down with a fight."

At the corner of my eye, Kyler is smiling. He jogs off and then returns with a rifle. Handing it to me, he gives me a slight bow with his head. Finn shakes his head, pacing back and forth.

"I thought of hiding you," he explains, "but I see that's out of the question."

I throw my right hand up into the air. "Are we going to fight about this again?"

"No," he says with defeat. "Just pissed off I almost lost you."

Walking forward, I grab him by the chin, his lips pursed slightly. I press my mouth against his and pull away. "Back me up, okay?"

He gives in from the kiss and smiles. "Fine, but first..." Finn crashes his lips against mine once again, this time more feverishly.

Kyler clears his throat. "Hate to interrupt this beautiful scene, but we've got a mob of Borrowers heading this way."

Pulling away from Finn, I look past Kyler. Sure enough, through the smoke, another hoard of Borrowers make their way into the laboratory. Members of the Syndicate emerge from the other end of the lab. They were nestled behind tables and lab equipment. Now exposed, they begin shooting, giving us three a chance to escape.

"Let's go!" I try to be heard over the gunfight.

Without realizing, we're dodging dead bodies. I can't tell if they're Syndicate, or the Borrowers. One hand shoots up into the air, making me fall to the floor. I stagger back, watching Finn's eyes widen. He falls to his knee, grabbing hold of the person's hand. Crawling forward, I notice now that it's Adam. He's bleeding profusely. A puddle of blood surrounds him.

"Dad!" Finn cries out. "Put your arm around my shoulders!" He tries to lift Adam forward, but is unable to. "Kyler, don't just stand there, help me dammit!" Finn lays his head against his dying father's shoulder.

Kyler crouches down near me and says softly, "We have to go. The Syndicate won't be able to distract them for too long." I nod and crawl past him to sit next to Finn.

"Finn..." I begin to say.

He shakes his head. "I can't leave him like this, Iris. Leave without me. Go!"

I don't have to say a word, Adam does. "You go too, son. Get out of here!" He chokes on the blood settling in his mouth.

Tears pour from Finn's eyes, creating trails on his ash-covered cheeks. "Dad, I can't."

"Hand me my rifle," Adam says. "Then get out of here. Do it for me, kid."

"Dad..."

"You got the treatment, right? You're going to be okay?"

Finn lies, "Yeah, I'm going to be cured."

"Good, that's good. Now go..." Adam says. He's seems more at peace.

Finn pauses while staring down at Adam's gun a couple feet from them. He touches his hand to the barrel and pauses. Without hesitation, I brush Finn's hand aside and grab the weapon. Finn furrows his brows at me, confused with my actions.

Rushing to Adam's side, I gently set the rifle in his hands. "Thank you," I say.

Adam might be a lot of things, some not-so-nice, but he did come back. I owe it to him with being thankful. The Syndicate came back. Now we have a chance to end Sylas's reign.

Adam turns his face away from us, looking toward the gunfight in the distant. "Leave now, before they come this way..." His voice trails off. I watch as he rests his finger on the trigger, ready to fight. Until the end.

Kyler grabs me by my arm, helping me to my feet. I peer at Finn, still kneeling, tears stain his cheeks. I push out my hand, waiting for him to grab hold. He doesn't budge.

"Finn, we need to go..." I plead. "This is what your dad wants."

He nods, and wipes away his tears. I can't hear what he says, but he leans forward, whispering to Adam. When he stands, he faces me, and takes hold of my hand. The three of us run back through the blasted doorway. Jagged sheaths of metal lay around the surrounding area and into the hallway.

Holding my rifle in front of me, I continue cautiously, waiting for a confrontation with Borrowers. Most of all, I'm hoping to have a confrontation with Sylas. Looking over my shoulder, I watch Finn and Kyler follow close behind.

Neither one of them have given up on me.

"Iris," Finn says. "My dad told me something. I don't think you will be happy about this."

"What?" I turn around completely. "Well?"

"Julian was seen helping Sylas," he begins to explain. "They were headed for the stairwell. My guess, they're going to evacuate from the rooftop by helicopter." Finn looks past my shoulder when yelling comes from around the corner.

"Julian should have been captured by now. So, he's aiding Sylas until the end..." I hiss.

"Looks that way. We need to get to the roof," he says. "Maybe they're still there."

Kyler walks past Finn and stands next to me. "Why the hell would Sylas leave PURE, and the Seraphim? This is his life's work!" He looks at me, shaking his head in disbelief.

Finn glares at Kyler, "Are you upset that he has left you in the dust without looking back once?"

"That's enough," I say. "Kyler has a point. Maybe it's a distraction."

"Finn!"

Someone yells from behind. The look on Finn's face tells me he recognizes who it is. Turning around, I watch Ivy limping toward us, blood trickles down the side of her face. Jogging toward her, she nearly falls into my arms.

She points behind her. "Don't go that way, it's a trap. The whole area is filled with Borrowers." Ivy bends forward, resting her palms on her knees.

I look back at both guys. "What now?"

"Irissa," Ivy says breathily, "I saw Sylas and Julian back that way."

"It's true, then. Julian is aiding Sylas to the roof! Ivy, can you take me to where you saw them?"

"I can't..." Her eyes grow wide with fear. "I've watched too many people die. I'm sorry."

Pushing past Ivy, I make my way toward where she pointed. I no longer can hear gunfire in the distant. This could be my only chance. The three of them yell for me from behind, but I continue to block out what they're saying. I can't stop now. I have to find Sylas.

Footsteps pound the floor from behind. Someone grabs my arm, swinging me around. Kyler stares down at me. The look in his eyes makes my heart race faster – if that's even possible. Pushing away his hand, I wrap my fingers around his wrist tightly.

"What now?" I say. "If you're going to tell me not to do this –"

Kyler smiles, looking down at my hand on his arm. "See you on the outside, Iris." He leans down, placing a gentle kiss on the center of my forehead. It's a sweet gesture. This is the moment I've always wanted with him. There is now a mutual respect between us, and it's clear if we live through this day, we will have a long lasting friendship.

"Let's only hope," I say, smiling back.

Looking past him, I notice Finn. He walks over to us, and Kyler takes the hint to walk back over where Ivy stands.

"So..." he says, scratching at his head nervously. "Run to the roof alone?" Finn pulls me close to his chest. I place my ear against the beat of his heart. It's quick, but each beat grows stronger.

"That's my intention," I say, running my fingertips over his chest. "I don't want to see any of you get hurt. Let me handle Sylas. Maybe – just maybe I can make him listen."

He grabs hold of my arms to distance us. "I'm going to see you on the outside, right?" Holding back tears is hard. I have to try. For Finn's sake, and for mine. I nod, pinching my lips tightly together, making sure I don't cry. I have to tell him I will see him again. If I don't, he won't let me go after Sylas alone.

Everyone has volunteered to be in my place. But it has always been my fight. I think I knew I had to be the one. I was just thinking selfishly. Why should Evelyn stop Sylas, or Kyler? Why the Syndicate and Adam? They've all risked their lives.

I'm the first prototype. I began the war.

Finn kisses me gently. It almost feels like a goodbye kiss. Like he knows, but doesn't want to admit it. He just wants this moment to be precious, a lovely memory.

A memory worth keeping, I think, pulling away from our connection.

Walking backwards, I release Finn's hand, our fingertips savoring the final touch. Ivy and Kyler wave to me. The end of the hallway approaches. I disappear around the corner, a burning image of Finn's defeated look etched in my mind.

Dead bodies scatter the hallway. I try not to look down at them. My foot gets tangled between two bodies. I fall forward onto my hands and knees. My rifle skids a couple feet in front of me.

Inches from one of the Borrowers blank stares, I stare to wide open eyes glossed over and blood shot. Quickly, I push up from his body and scoop up my weapon. The pounding of my heart feels like it could burst from my chest. I can't get rattled now, I have to move forward. People are counting on me.

The silence is eerie, but I walk around most of the south wing of the building. So far, no Sylas. I reach the stairwell, jogging up several levels. I step onto the last level, staring at a metal door to the outside. It's ajar, exposing a ray of light through the tiny crack. Pushing the tip of my boot into the space, I pull the door all the way open.

"Sylas," I call out. "Julian!"

No one answers. Did I expect them to? There is no sign of a helicopter as I step out onto the massive rooftop of the building. I hold my rifle securely, aiming right, and then left. Still no sign of Sylas or Julian.

People are shouting somewhere nearby.

The shouting resonates from the other side of the roof. Making my way around the walls of the stairwell, I find Julian holding Sylas near the edge of the building. They're yelling back and forth, a verbal fight escalating into Sylas potentially being thrown to his death.

"Julian!" I aim the rifle at his back. "I've got my sights on you."

He laughs. "Ah! It's the precious defective prototype." Peeking over his shoulder, he says, "Look, Sylas, she knows how to use a weapon!"

"Get away from the edge," I demand. "I will shoot you."

He pushes Sylas a little closer to the edge. "If you shoot, we're both dead!"

Sylas's eyes widen. "Irissa, don't shoot. Let us reason with this mad man!"

"I'm a mad man? Me?" Julian chuckles. "I was nothing but a puppet at your beck and call. You, Sylas, have it all. The beautiful wife, brilliant mind, and creations that will change the path of evolution! Of course, I'm mad. I'm madly obsessed about having what is yours."

I step closer. "You both need to surrender. The Syndicate has ambushed the facility. It's over! If you give up, I promise that you both will not be harmed."

Sylas says, "What of the Seraphim? What will become of them? They need their creator, Irissa. They need me, like you need me."

"I don't need you!"

"You do need me! What you must realize is that you're different than the rest of them – society. The Seraphim, they need you like they need a sister. Can you be that for them? Can you teach them how to live?"

I slowly lower the rifle. The sound of a helicopter grows louder in the distance. Sylas or Julian, one of them plans to escape. I'm forced to choose between my friends still inside PURE, and those who are like me. Should it be one or the other? Can't we all be saved?

Julian points to the sky. "There she is!" He looks at Sylas. "Goodbye, my friend."

Without hesitating, I raise my rifle, aim, and shoot the back of Julian's lower leg. He falls backward, pulling Sylas to safety. Running forward, I point the rifle at Julian, who squirms on the rooftop, yelling out in pain.

"Sly bitch!" he spats at my face.

The helicopter hovers above, whipping wind around us. The sound of the propellers swirling engulf my next words.

"Game over," I yell.

Shooting ignites, bullets ricochet off the cement rooftop. I cower down, until nothing is audible but the helicopter. Looking up, I watch Sylas hoisted into the aircraft. Julian limps forward, grabbing onto a Borrower's arm. They're both getting away. I've failed.

I point the rifle at the helicopter. Before I can even pull the trigger, something grazes my side. Warmth sweeps across my skin, but there's no pain, not yet.

The helicopter lifts back up into the air. I make eye contact with is Sylas. He waves. I fall. The ground is hard beneath my body as I crumble fast. Pain ignites through my body.

I've been shot...

...and they got away.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 78.4K 50
Part 2 of The Runner series. ================================== The Runner's Rebellion was only the beginning. Tensions run high as the City struggle...
7.2K 600 49
Ever thought surviving first period and facing her best friend's boyfriend - whom she recently kissed - was going to be the hardest part of her day...
9.9K 647 28
[#WATTYS2018 LONGLIST] On Earth, a conspiracy theorist stumbles across the wreckage of a spacecraft. There are two corpses in strange uniforms. One i...
37.4K 1.4K 38
COMPLETE TRILOGY 🏆Wattys Award book 1 in portuguese version. Governing Idea: We will become them and then, they will become us. Trilogy story inspir...