The Milkshake Project

By beetleb22

It was the height of sock hops and jukeboxes. The time when Rock 'n Roll was the soul of the nation and milks... More

Such a Night
Black Denim Trousers
Oh, Boy!
School Days
At The Hop
The Fool
The Book of Love
Walking After Midnight
Shake, Rattle, and Roll
Splish Splash
To Know Him...
Ain't That A Shame
...Is to Love Him
All The Way
The Great Pretender
Why Do Fools Fall In Love
Sincerely
Silhouettes
Rave On
Rock and Roll Waltz
Love Me Tender
Fade Away
That'll Be The Day

Lollipop

311 22 2
By beetleb22

"And I think that's it," I said dropping the pencil against the table.

Incredibly, we'd managed to finish our entire research proposal in just two hours. I'd never finished any research proposal that fast, not even by a long shot. It was official. I'd be putting on a record of The Crew-Cuts for Mrs. David's Math-Homework Mondays.

"See?" Rider said, shutting the books we had splayed haphazardly across the table, "And we only started really cookin' after you managed to get that thorn out of you're skirt."

"You know? There's this thing called etiquette," I said with a laugh as I packed up my backpack, "It's a swell way to talk to people. You really should try it sometime."

"Like you're one to talk," he snorted.

"What?"

"Oh, come on! You've been biting my head off since the day we met. It's a miracle I was even able to get you to genuinely smile today, let alone work with me."

We gathered up our things, and Rider propped open the heavy door for me as I cradled my my books and our research proposal. We walked down the empty hallway to the heavy front doors.

"Well, if you hadn't been so down-right irritating every time you talked to me, I wouldn't have been so snappy," I retorted.

"Which time?" he asked, "When I was trying to get to know the girl who came crashing down on my sneakers, or when I was trying to get to know my lab partner who didn't want to talk to me when she crashed down on my sneakers earlier?"

"Then what's with getting me in trouble with Mr. McDaniel. He might know you, but I'm trying to make a good impression."

The entry doors squealed as we exited outside and sauntered down the stone steps.

"Little thing about me, Dolly," Rider said stopping at the foot of the steps, "Unlike the other squares in there, I'm not there to make a teacher's pet out of myself."

"Well I guess it's nice to know you're not a rebel without a cause," I said.

We had stopped at the bottom of the steps, the early evening light filtering between the clouds. A bitter breeze ruffled my skirt and sent a chill up to my arms, reminding me that February in New York was an entirely different experience from Nevada.

"Well, I better start heading home," I said.

"Need a lift?" Rider asked.

"No, I don't live too far from here, thanks," I said before giving him a small wave and beginning my walk home, "Oh and Rider?"

I stopped and turned around.

"Thank you for your help. The books, the notes,  the music...I really don't think I would've gotten a single thing done today if I was by myself."

Rider smiled as he shifted his hands into his jacket. I couldn't help but notice that, when he wasn't smirking like a jackass, Rider had a really nice smile.

"See ya later, Dolly," he said, before turning around and walking into the parking lot.

————————————————————————

Coming up my front steps, I noticed a pair of mattresses laying against the siding.

"Ah, yes," I whispered to myself with relief washing over me.

I opened my front door to a still and silent living room, something I was still getting use to. Before my father passed away, my mother was always home taking care of the house or doing chores. I didn't like coming home to the quietness. It made the past several months seem all that more overwhelming. My father would scoop me up in his arms as soon as I walked through the door, flip me upside down, and tickle me until I couldn't stop laughing. Now I'm greeted by dust bunnies and the sack of apples from a few days ago.

I shook my head and forced myself from my gloomy thoughts. I didn't have a bad day, there's no reason to be mopey.

I set my stuff down and went to the kitchen to snag an apple. No sooner had a bit into the juicy fruit did the phone ring. I reached across the counter and snatched the handle from the hook.

"Hello?" I asked, suddenly remembering how messy apples can be as I wiped juice from my chin.

"So how bad's the headache?" Bonnie's voice asked nonchalantly over the speaker.

"What?"

"I've called like five times since four. I'm guessing "Mr. Tall, Dumb, and Greasy" showed up anyways."

"Actually," I smiled, "It wasn't that bad. He seems to know what he's talking about, at least. He's kind of...I don't know..nice."

"No way."

"What?"

"No way." Bonnie repeated.

"Bonnie, what?"

"You're crushing!" She exclaimed.

I nearly dropped the handset.

"Have you flipped you're lid?" I laughed, "All I said was the research went well. I don't have a crush on Rider Hale."

"Yeah yeah, Whatever," she laughed, before her voice took on a very suggestive tone, "Just to let you know though, I'm calling it. He'll try to do the same little charming thing that got Irene and boom! You'll be real gone like that."

I heard Bonnie snap her fingers over the speaker.

"But speaking of crushes, what are you wearing on your date with Jack," she asked.

"You mean the pool party that everybody, including you and Dusty, will be at?" I asked.

"Call it what you will, I'm considering it a date."

"Well, it's a good thing I didn't share a notebook with him or we'd be married."

"Ha ha, big tickle," Bonnie said flatly, "If he asked, would you go to the Senior Jubilee with him?"

"I don't know," I said, twisting the curly cord around my index finger, "I still don't really know him."

"Well, you'll get to know him real well next Saturday. I know he'll ask you."

"Whatever, Bonnie," I laughed.

"Oh, okay my mom just got home," Bonnie hurried, "She'll have a cow if she catches me not doing homework. Bye Ellie."

"Bye, Bonnie."

————————————————————————

With the research proposal finished, the weekend and half of the next week practically flew by. The only off thing that happened was when Jack just out of the blue disappeared from the face of the earth. At first, he stopped walking me to class, only meeting me outside the Human Ethics room those sixty seconds before the bell rang. By Wednesday, he just stopped coming all together. I'd stand outside the door, waiting for him only to have to retreat into the stale classroom.

Friday came and I was standing outside the classroom, looking from one end of the crowded hall to the other. I sighed to myself as I looked down at my lacy Bobby socks. I heard another sigh echo mine and a body plopped down against the wall next to me. All hope restored, I turned to Jack with a smile, but all I saw was a black leather jacket.

"What's happening, Dolly?"

My smile fell and I crossed my arms in mild irritation.

"Is it even worth going to his party tomorrow?" I thought to myself.

I looked up to Rider and noticed a white stick gripped between his lips.

"How did you even get in this building with that?" I mumbled frustratedly as I clacked my heel against the tile.

Rider grasped the cigarette and pulled it from his mouth, revealing a candy-red ball on the other end. I saw his lips pull into a smile, but I turned away.

"Jeez, what's got your skirt in a bunch?" Rider asked.

The bell rang and I gave a heavy sigh.

"Nothing."

I followed behind Rider into the classroom and sat down. Class began and Mr. McDaniel had us work on the rest of our project since we turned in the research proposal. If I wasn't in such a bad mood, I would've giggled at the way Mr. McDaniel looked at Rider when he plopped our proposal in front of him.

I was working on a rough draft of the essay part of the project while a radio on Mr. McDaniel's desk played "Little Bitty Pretty One". I could feel my mood melt away as the lively hums of the song traveled across the room.

"Alright, class," Mr. McDaniel announced looking at his watch, "you may pack up now. Class ends in five."

I packed up my papers and books, and I lugged my backpack onto my shoulders. Rider gathered his books in his arms before hopping up and sitting down on top of the table in front of me.

"So, Dolly," Rider said, "you doing anything this weekend?"

I thought about saying no. Jack just cut out on me, and I struggled between telling Rider anything. I guess I was deciding for myself then too.

"Yeah, uhm," I stammered, "Yes, I am."

"Really?" He asked. "What are you doing?"

"I see you're writing another book," I laughed playfully.

"Come on, Dolly."

"I'm going to a party on Saturday, alright?"

"Oooooh," He smirked.

"It's not that kind of party," I said flatly, looking up at him.

"Are there gonna be parents there?"

"Uh, I wasn't told of any parents coming."

"It's that kind of party," He said flatly.

"Uh," I scoffed, "Why do you care?"

"Oh, I was just making sure it wasn't tonight."

I looked up and met his gaze just as the bell rang. Rider pushed himself off the table and I followed behind him.

"What? Why?" I asked, "Rider, what do you mean?"

"Who's asking all the questions now?" he smiled down to me.

"Rider!"

"There's a music bash tonight, just past the tracks," he said, stopping just before the classroom door, "You wanna go?"

I stopped for a minute, completely surprised.

"Wha..Rider I don't.." I breathed a laugh, "I don't think-"

"You like rock n' roll, right? Music and dancing?"

"Y-yeah."

"Great, I'll pick you up tonight."

Before I could even register what he'd said, Rider slipped through the doorway and into the hall, leaving me dumbfounded and with a sinking sense of Déjà vu.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

121 30 18
Jasmine Watterson your average high school girl with good grades and a best friend Rosie. Oh and let's not forget her six brothers who never miss th...
21.5K 573 51
RANKINGS: 🙏#129 in idk 🙏# 38 in greasers 🙏#74 in the outsiders 🙏 #1 In old story!! "Its either you stay with us or be disowned and out on the st...
3.7M 49.8K 58
Ella is the good girl, with the good grade, great parents, great friends, but not so great school life. Shane is the bad boy, with the not so good g...
23.6K 446 27
16 year old Veronica moved to Tulsa from LA just before her 14th birthday, after 2 years she still doesn't see the point in Socs and Greasers. After...