Under The Tent Top (COMPLETED)

By ArianneBarroma

"Welcome, we thank you for spending your night with us. We promise you, that this will be a party you will ne... More

Prologue
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty - One
Twenty - Two
Twenty - Three
Twenty - Four
Twenty - Five
Twenty - Six
Twenty - Seven
Twenty - Eight
Twenty - Nine
Thirty
Thirty - One
Thirty - Two
Thirty - Three
Thirty - Four
Thirty - Five
Thirty - Six
Thirty - Seven
Thirty - Eight
Thirty-Nine
Fourty
Fourty - One
Fourty - Two
Under The Tent Top

Nine

306 18 0
By ArianneBarroma

AS every night went, I found myself inside the closet - mentally preparing to face the after party. I stared at my reflection and almost reached for a cotton of alcohol. A flash of pain on my wrist reminded me not to.

I took a deep breath and plastered on a smile.

Through the curtains the music had already started. The smell of what I assumed was cheap whisky floated through the air. The local's must have had enough corn or old supplies from pre-war to be able to supply that for us.

Inside Samil was leaning against one of the bleachers. His eyes glued to the entrance I came from. He smiled and gestured me over.

"Darling, you were splendid." He shouted.

I thanked him.

"You seemed, however, different."

"Did I?"

He nodded. Scratching his chin. "You didn't seem as melancholy as usual. Does the song bring you happy thoughts?"

I shook my head. No. It reminded me of my dead mother.

"Then why did you smile?"

Marius. "I did not smile?"

He growled.

"If I did. I did not mean anything by it. I - I must've thought of you."

A smirk painted across his lips. "That perhaps is a good reason to smile then, isn't it? Very well. Be careful next time. We need to keep your appearance up. The men like to think they can save you. Do you understand what I'm saying? It's part of the show!" His arms popped up in the air.

I released a rehearsed laugh.

"Alright, song bird. Go entertain."

With some hesitation I made my way towards the crowd. A crowd was surrounding Invidia at the time, her hair out of her bun spun around to the music. She twirled the ruffles of her skirt and caused the men and a few women around her to stare in awe. She had a way with the audience. The way she'd smirk and wink, it caused certain folk to be drawn to her. She loved it.

Some part of me wished that I did too. It would have made things easier.

As I walked, a drunken woman approached me. Her lips smudged red and her hair a mess. "Nightingale! Show me how you sing?" She stammered.

"It's too loud." I replied.

Her hands found my lips. "Too bad. Maybe I can have my own show?"

I shook my head. "You'll have, um. You'll have to talk to Samil."

"What is he?! Your daddy?" She laughed out loud before swaying away.

I quickly forgot about her as I spotted Rene in the crowd. Her face lit up as she saw me. "Mon Cheri come meet my friends!"

She stepped to the side revealing a group of men. They hungrily smiled.

"This is Brutus, Nelson and Patton. They used to stand guard at Odin's house."

Brutus - the man with a large black beard snickered. "Sometimes she'd sneak us in for parties."

Rene slapped his chest. "Don't think you still have an open invitation to come by and play."

The men laughed. Brutus stepped forward, he licked his lips and reached for my hand. Reluctantly I gave it to him. He placed his lips against my fingers. "Let me get you a drink?"

Rene wearily smiled. "Oh Brutus. No she's on the job."

"He wasn't asking you," One of the other men snapped. "Come on Rene. Dance."

I smiled at the men, and batted my lashes at Brutus. Perhaps an Invidia version of The Nightingale was something that could help me tonight?

Rene reached out for me, but Brutus had already taken hold of me and lead me towards the tents temporary bar. Samil's driver, Manuel, manned the bar tonight. He looked at me with concern - as he always did. "You doing okay, Nightingale?"

I lied. "Yes."

Brutus snarled at Manuel. "Two whiskeys please."

"You're so kind sir. But I really shouldn't, we have another show tomorrow night-" I stated.

He turned towards me. "It's rude to decline a free drink."

I swallowed, but twirled my dark locks. "I really shouldn't."

Manuel placed drinks down. "Sir?"

Brutus grasped the two cups roughly from his hands, and shoved one in my hand.

"Just nurse it then." He snapped before tossing his drink back.

I took a small sip. The strong dry liquid burned my throat.

Brutus laughed at my face. His grey eyes shitting tightly, the crows feet on his face became prominent. "Let's dance."

He dragged me by the arm into the dancing crowd - the drink splashed up at me. He wasn't bothered by the mess.

The large man spun me around in a circle, his eyes never leaving my body. Other men around us laughed in glee. As Brutus swayed me, I noticed one woman hand him a small glass tied to a chain. Black liquid sparkled inside.

Brutus opened the top taking a large sniff with the woman. They both turned towards me. "Sniff." He demanded.

I shook my head. My eyes trying to find Samil. Did he notice?

"Nightingale," Brutus pushed. "Sniff."

My head spun from just the thought of being brought back in mendacium's power. "No thank you."

Brutus' voice grew harsher. "I'm not asking."

I flirted. "You first."

His hand wrapped around my upper arm, he squeezed tightly. "Sniff, stupid girl."

I shook my head. "No."

The woman laughed as Brutus thrusted me to the ground. Around me the other men stared in amusement. The Nightingale had fallen, she was vulnerable to their hunger. The energy within me disappeared as I watched their bodies envelop around me. I closed my eyes and tried to surrender to the white noise.

Suddenly, loud footsteps cut through the music. Lights that were blocked by the predators' silhouettes had reappeared. Someone gently grabbed my arm, lifting me to my bare feet.

"What's the matter with you?" It must have been Samil scolding me.

I opened my eyes as my head lay against someone's chest.

"What is the matter with all of you?!" Marius snarled at the crowd. His hand gently guarded my body.

Carefully, Marius led me out of the hunters circle. I buried my face against him, praying Samil wouldn't notice.

~*~

I had barely noticed the silence of the outside world when we had exited the tent. Some party goers mingled outside the edges of the White Top, most of the area was bare - nothing left but the foot prints in the soft ground.

"It must rain here more often than other places." I whispered as I carefully slipped out from under his arms.

The man placed a hand gently on my back but remained silent.

"I remember coming here last year. I don't think Odin came to see us."

Silence.

"Business must have left him preoccupied."

Silence.

"So where are you taking me, mister hero?"

He looked down at me, his eyes soft but angered. "I'm not your hero."

I shrugged, trying best to act like Invidia. "Then there must be another reason you took me away from them? Samil would be upset if you stole me for your own private show."

Marius stopped walking, his hand dropping from my back. "Stop that."

"Stop what?" I whispered.

He shook his head. "Stop whatever this is," He grasped my elbow. "Just walk back to your trailer, okay?"

Marius voice was soft, but stern. His eyes kept straight forward.

~*~

When we reached my trailer Mirna was waiting inside. She was wringing the hem of skirt in her hands in worry. "Oh!" She gasped realizing I wasn't alone.

"Are you okay?" Dandra asked getting up from her seat. She eyed Marius.

I nodded. "I'm okay; he walked me back. It's okay."

Mirna removed my arm from Marius' grasp. "What happened?"

I took a few more steps into the trailer, explaining the night to my friends. Their mouths grimaced. Another 'pass The Nightingale session' it had seemed.

"I'm okay, the night could have gone worse. It's my fault," I began. "I tried to act like Invidia. I thought maybe they'd leave me to do what I wanted this time instead-"

Mirna shushed me. "Well I'm glad the new guy saw."

I turned around. He was long gone, the doors to the trailer were shut closed. I excused myself and stepped out to follow.

A silhouette walked in the distance, his hand in his pocket and head down. "Hey," I called out. The figure turned.

"Thank you." I muttered.

Marius nodded silently.

"I want you to know though, that next time it's okay...it's part of my job. Samil needs me to keep the guests happy."

He shrugged. "He doesn't need it. You don't need it."

I fell silent watching as he began to turn away.

"See you tomorrow." He whispered.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.2K 196 10
|| MATURE THEMES || "And you say "Did you even notice, that I, began, to bleed?" And it all goes out of focus, and I hear you start to scream. Help m...
124K 6.5K 99
Hannah And her Happy Harem After spending her entire life training to become an Olympic level gymnast only to suffer one too many injuries for her bo...
64 12 6
I was a girl, living on a mountain by the outskirts of a town, doing alright. Then my parents died and I became a queen a few weeks later, trying to...
1K 380 39
❣️❀️😍Completed😍❀️❣️ I stood by the window early morning... And saw a sun coming out of it's nest and shining!! Suddenly my eyes fall on a beautiful...