Misanthrope ~ Captain America...

By ChloeMarsden8

"They're ruthless, cunning, manipulative and one hell of a fighter. They're agile and fast. They're smart, an... More

Prologue
Chapter One: I Promise

Chapter Two: A nice chat

1.3K 43 35
By ChloeMarsden8

Taking a deep breath, you pushed open the door to your apartment and tried to act normal. You slowly closed your door and dropped your bag, keeping your predominant hand close to your gun.

The lights throughout the apartment were off and the only source of light you had was a dim, orange glow that seeped in from a window.
You froze as you sensed the the slightest movement in the darkness ahead of you.

Pulling out your gun, you clicked off the safety.You had your fingers firmly wrapped around the front-strap and your index finger loitering by the trigger.

"Step out of the shadows so I can see you. I won't hesitate to shoot." You stated, your tone firm and demanding.

You hated not having the upper hand in situations like this. You glanced around the visible aspects of the room, checking for any changes and realised your hypothesis was correct. You double checked all your exit routes before you turned your full attention back to the stranger.

He took a step forward, the dim light from the window slightly illuminating his features.
'6,2 black male, mid to late 60's, eyepatch, visible loaded weapons, visible pressure points, involvement in combat, evident by stance, scars and build...' You listed everything as you quickly scanned the man, as if you were Sherlock and you were listing clues and deductions from a crime scene.

"Are you here to kill me ?" You questioned, holding your gun firmly in your grasp.

"No."

"Then what ?"

"I just want to have a nice chat," the man replied with a smile.

Your mind relayed the conversation with Cameron out in the hall.

'There is someone in that apartment of yours and I don't think they want to have a nice chat with you. They want you dead.'

"You were listening to my conversation... you son of a bitch!"

"Ooh, do you kiss your mother with that mouth ?" He retorted

"Who the hell are you ? And what are you doing in my apartment?" 

The man stepped forward and his features became more clear. His lips, that were usually downturned, curled into a grin as he watched you scan him and his surroundings.

"Nick Fury, director of S.H.I.E.L.D," he stated matter-of-factly.

"Is that supposed to mean anything to me ?" You responded.

"We're an extra-governmental military counter-terrorism and intelligence agency, tasked with maintaining global security. I'm here to talk to you about the avengers initiative."

You doubled over, bursting out with a loud, harsh laughter. Fury stood and watched as you laughed and wiped the tears that'd formed in your eyes.

"(Y/N) I'm here to talk to you about the avengers initiative." You mimicked, almost crying with laughter.

Nick Fury spoke up again, rudely cutting you off.

"You don't strike me as a professional criminal assassin,"  he stated, folding his arms over his chest and staring at you.

You took a step forward, straitening your stance as if you were a soldier. Your eyes met his as you once again pointed your gun at him, a slight smirk on your lips.

"That's what makes me so good at it."

He raised his eyebrow, almost as if he was beckoning for you to continue. It was an amateur technique. You knew he wanted to get information out of you, but you weren't letting that happen so easily. If anyone wanted to extract anything from you, they'd have a hard time doing so, and they usually found that out the hard way.

"Anyway-" you stated. "You knew that already. You've been watching me, all of you have. Perverts...Also, you've already scavenged my apartment. Tell me, what did you find ?"

"How do you know that ?" He replied.

You used your gun to point at various objects that were visible to the two of you as you spoke.

"Aside from the fact that there are footprints that match your foot size and boots, the light switches are now in different positions, meaning you've turned a light on in a different place to where you've turned it off. There are fresh scratch marks on the floorboards near various cupboards etc, meaning they've been moved. There are also various objects that have changed position. It's only slightly, but they've changed.

"You're good," he remarked.

"Flattery won't work on me director." You replied. "So tell me. What did you discover ?"

"You have a family. A sister, a brother and a father. Your mother is deceased." He started.

You raised your hands in a gesture to continue, raising an eyebrow as you listened to his deductions.

"You may not always live here, but you've owned this apartment for a long time. You've had many different unsuccessful relationships with the same sex. A certain 'sapphire' was a recurring motif. You've had company here, so you have friends. That's a little dangerous isn't it ? You also have blood in your bathroom... and razors. You self harm. And your favourite colour is orange."

You stood, lowering your gun as if you were admitting defeat. Nick Fury smiled, watching you as you looked down at the floor for a second.

"You're wrong," you stated, looking back up with a grin on your face.

"You what ?" He replied, his voice raising a pitch as he spoke.

You laughed. "It's rather impressive, isn't it ?"

You could sense it. The overwhelming fear and doubt that had overcome 'director Fury.' You could see his eyes darting around the room then back to you. He was trying to figure out how he could be so wrong.

"It's simple really: The photos and frames are all fake, the phone you found and everything on it is fake, the blood isn't mine and the razors have been planted, the 'friends' theory is ridiculous...and if were being honest, I'm not particularly fond of orange."

He chuckled, throwing his hands up in defeat.

"You're really good" He said to you.

You chuckled, seeing the glimmer in his eye that told you he thought he'd won. Another technique that you'd learnt long ago. He'd thought he'd just got everything out of you. As if you'd opened your mouth and all of the answers he'd needed came spewing out.

"...But that's not all."

Nick Fury stared at you as you unveiled this to him.

"What if everything I just told you was a lie ?" You said, raising your eyebrow. "or what if I'm concealing another truth ?"

"You are good." He repeated.

You shrugged, a slight smile playing on your lips.

"(Y/N) I don't need any of that information. Regardless of any of that, I want to talk to you about the avengers initiative."

***** 3rd person's POV *****

*A few hours earlier*

Nick Fury's voice echoed through the halls as he cursed at the screen. Another facial recognition test had failed. He sighed, cursed and tried again, watching the maps in front of him as the software tried to narrow down the possibilities.

"The photos are too blurred Fury, you'll never find anything." Tony stated.

"We have to try," he retorted, his visible eyebrow arched in a furious manner.

The computer produced a negative screeching sound, indicating yet another failed test.

"It's not going to work Fury," Natasha stated.

"We have to try." Fury repeated, emphasising the 'have to' in his sentence.

Fury stared at the screen, ignoring every other comment that Natasha, Steve or Tony had to offer. It didn't help that 'Fury's asset' was confidential information that the rest of shield were oblivious to. No one aside from Maria hill, Phil Coulson and the Avengers knew... Meaning no one aside from Maria hill, Phil Coulson and the Avengers could help.

"Now what ?" Steve questioned, his arms folded across his chest.

"Maybe we just wait it out. Or maybe we just give up. It's a cold case Fury, stop trying." Tony stated monotonously.

"I think I agree with Stark on this one. I know first-hand that you're not going to find her if she doesn't want to be found. You told us that this person only lets us know as much as they want. They obviously don't to let us know this." Natasha said.

"Wait, did you just agree with me ?" Tony questioned with a smug grin.

"Oh, I'm going to take it back." She retorted.

"Nope, it's too late." Tony grinned.

"WILL YOU ALL QUIT THAT ?!" Nick yelled at the three of them. It was obvious that the lack of coffee and lack of results had gotten to him.

"I still believe in heroes, maybe you should too. (Y/N) will be a valuable member of the team and i think yo-"

Suddenly, Nick Fury was interrupted by bleeping and flashing screen. Everyone spun around to look at the screen.

"There was a Match ?" Tony stated, raising his voice a pitch and turning his statement into a question.

"53% match to the photograph." Fury grinned, heading over to the computer.

Steve shot up, pushing the chair out of the way and heading to the screen. It was only a 53% match but it was good enough.

"We can track her down using the software and security cameras. I'll go to wherever she is and-"

"Whoa. At ease soldier," Nick said, throwing his hand up and beckoning for Steve to sit back down.

Steve raised his eyebrow and slowly headed to back to his seat. He crossed his arms across his chest again and sighed.

"You're not going anywhere." Nick began, looking straight at Steve as Tony and Natasha looked on.

"If you go, the mission will be comprised and she'll be hostile towards you and the situation. We'll track her down, find where she's staying and I'll go."

"That's a good point. She needs to trust us if we want to get anywhere." Natasha piped up.

Steve pursed his lips, disagreeing with both Fury and Natasha. He refused to believe anything about '(Y/N)' unless he saw it himself. Sending Nick Fury, in his opinion, would compromise the mission.

"Fine." He stated, rubbing his palm over his face.

"Then it's settled... Let's track her down."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

369K 13.2K 59
After Pein's invasion, Naruto is betrayed by his comrades and left to die. When he wakes up, he somehow travelled back in time to when he was genin a...
440K 15.6K 93
The story is about the little girl who has 7 older brothers, honestly, 7 overprotective brothers!! It's a series by the way!!! 😂💜 my first fanfic...
303K 6.7K 35
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc
1M 42.8K 50
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...