Where She Belongs

By ellarose12

Looking at the motivational poster, I couldn't stop myself from snorting at the ridiculousness of it all. 'Wh... More

Authors Note.
Gone.
Back Home.
Sneaking Out.
An Offer.
Midnight Meetings.
Unexpected.
Feelings.
Keeps Getting Better
Stay.
A New Friend.
A Dance.
David.
Mine.
Merry Christmas.
The Truth About...
Forgiveness
History Repeating
What Now?
A New Start
Greedy.
Hero.
Don't Look Back.
Antonino
A Warning.
City of Angels
Graveyard Meetings.
Little Hybrid.
Where She Belongs

Happy New Year

9.7K 608 32
By ellarose12

It's strange how your life can change so much, yet not really change at all. Once home I did boring, normal things; laundry, order pizza, watch TV. Aiden did things I wouldn't like clean out the fridge and then go grocery shopping to restock it. On the drive back, we decided he would stay until the new year and then he'd be going to pack up his things to make our arrangement a little more permanent. The logical part of my brain was telling me it was too much too soon, but it wasn't like a normal relationship. Most of our kind skip the long term dating plan, there is no high expectations of a fancy dinner after a certain amount of time to get a diamond ring. Never expecting I'd actually find my person, this part was still a bit of a shock.

"So this is what you do with your time?" Aiden sits beside me as I open the freshly delivered pizza box.

"Pretty much. Hannah might drag me out occasionally, or I go into work, but mostly I do stuff from home. It's just been me since I came here, and I know they're pretty much all humans around here, but after the attack I just kind of stopped doing anything. It took me ages to recover and I just fell into this routine." I shrug.

"You can't hide forever."

"Pretty sure I can." I start to eat and offer him some, which was a mistake as he eats more and faster than I do.

"I can cook you know, much better than this stuff." He finally says.

"Guess you really lucked out with me then. I don't cook. I don't clean, there's a lady who comes in and does that once a week though. I don't sort my darks from my lights either so be prepared for a few pink t-shirts if I'm doing the washing."

This makes him laugh. "I'll remember that."

We settle in easier than I expected us to, even after he forced me to go for a walk at sunset with him. I only agreed after he promised it was just a walk and not some attempt at making me run as he had an odd obsession with doing, and it had stopped raining. Apparently fresh air was good for you, so I gave it a go. I also never expected to be one of those people who walk close together, holding hands and something told me, he didn't either.

The next day I had an email to go into work and also a few messages from Hannah begging me to go to her New Years Eve party. She was determined that we go, not accepting no for an answer. Considering how the last party I went to with her ended, I was pretty sure she'd have to deal with it. Then again David hadn't been around for any of his friendly chats yet - if he would even come back I wasn't sure. Aiden's presence was probably keeping him away too, but it wasn't as though I wanted to see him anyway.

Did he know I knew?

It was nearly ten when I went into the meeting, much too early for my liking but considering this job paid my bills it wasn't as though this was an invitation I could refuse.

"Well that was pointless." Hannah complained as we met up afterwards. "So, how was your christmas?"

"Oh great. Family. Food. Presents. What more could you want?"

"More details than that. So you and Aiden are, good?"

"We are very good." I can't help but smile at that and not sharing the reality of how my christmas was, I kept up a tiny lie. "It was a very merry christmas."

"So you two are coming tomorrow night?"

"I don't know-"

"Please! Gwen said she was going to come too before she went back home." She added.

"She did?" She hadn't told me about that.

"Yeah. Really, you need to keep up on our group chat." She laughs. "Come on, I'll shout you a coffee."

And just like that, apparently we were going to be going to her New Years party.

_______________

"We could just stay home." I tell Aiden as I strap on my heels. "What if it's like last time?"

"Nothing is going to happen." He assures me.

"How can you be so sure?"

"Because while you were working so was I."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Now I'm on edge for a different reason.

"Brianna was able to do a location spell. As of this morning, he is miles away. Like on another continent away. Relax, have fun. You deserve it. We will deal with everything next year."

"Next year is only a few hours away." I remind him.

"Minor detail." He stands in front of me and gently pushes my hair from my shoulders, kissing my neck before my lips. "Besides, I won't let anything happen to you."

"It's not me I'm worried about." I admit.

Last encounter David had thrown him across the yard like he was nothing, what else could, or would they do to each other?

"Your friends aren't that bad, surely?" He smiles and if the cab hadn't just beeped outside, we'd be getting to the party late.

"You'd be surprised." I tell him as we head outside.

Nothing Hannah does is ever simple. Her double story townhouse has been transformed into a glowing wonderland with more fairy lights strung up around the place than the whole of the country. A DJ had been set up in the living room and caterers walked around offering trays of food of all kinds.

She was dazzling in a sequined minidress and Steven loyally kept by her side, smiling and nodding at people he clearly didn't know. When they saw us, his face lit up with recognition though he was clearly hesitant about Aiden.

"You came!" Hannah grins triumphantly, her voice already that little bit higher than usual as she'd clearly been hitting the champagne. "Gwen's in the kitchen!"

We head that way and it takes me a minute to spot her as her hair has changed again. She doesn't hide her surprise at seeing Aiden either, but it doesn't stop her from coming over.

"Finally, people I know!" She sighs, looking around. "I didn't think it would be like this. She made it sound like a small little gathering."

"This is for her. Last year it was a circus theme in an outdoor tent." The look on her face tells me she isn't sure if what i'm saying is true. "I like the pink!"

Gone is the blue, and in its place is a soft pastel pink. Instantly she touches it, running her fingers through the shortened hair.

"Thanks, I was done with the blue." She smiles, before frowning as she leans in closer to me. "You smell, different. Actually, something about all of you seems different."

"Long story."

"And are you a part of the story?" She asks Aiden, a little too seriously.

"Yes." He answers simply.

She doesn't know what to say to that. "Oh."

"I'm surprised you came. We haven't spent a New Years together in a long time!" We grab a drink and settle in a corner away from other drunken guests who seem to make their mission to bump into us.

"The danger has gone, and since I'm already here I figured I may as well!" She smiles. "Despite, everything, it's been good seeing you again."

"Agreed!" We clink our glasses and despite this setup perfect for Aiden turning into a third wheel, he manages to easily slip into our conversation.

Gwen loses her shyness around him which instantly makes things easier and I'm surprised at how many sides there are to him. He is not what I expected at all.

"You surprise me Mr Anders." I'm drunk. I should have stopped after three glasses of champagne asd I'm fairly certain I'm only still standing because of the way he is holding me.

"Is that a good thing?"

We shuffle and sway together, surrounded by people we don't know as music plays loudly enough it's a struggle to hear each other. Good thing he is bending down in my direction otherwise I probably wouldn't hear a word he was saying.

"Yes." I decided, unsure of how to stop myself from babbling away now. "I thought you were all, serious and intense and broody and handsome and dark and mean and I guess a bit scary, but also a jerk."

"I'm not those things?" He almost sounds confused now.

"Oh yeah, you so are. But you're nice too." I tighten my arms around his neck, breathing in his scent which is just so him and so perfectly like him. "You make me feel like I belong."

"Sam, are you feeling okay?"

His question startles me and looking up, he only looks concerned. Here I am, sharing some of how I'm feeling with him, and he what - thinks I'm making it up?

"Why wouldn't I be? Did I say something you didn't want to hear?" I snap.

"No, Sam, just, come here." We leave the dancefloor without another word and I'm not actually sure if he's carrying me or if I'm walking on my own as we head upstairs.

I catch a glimpse of Gwen and Hannah as we go, the pair smiling and laughing and so free. Steven wouldn't have ever treated Hannah how I've been treated. Gwen had her perfect little wolf pack family and despite the way she fights with her parents, it was nothing. Rage burns in the pit of my stomach and heat washes over me in a really strange way. The music isn't as loud up here, there aren't as many people either and I turn to Aiden, ready to yell at him only the second we face each other, I'm falling back into him.

"Please don't let me go." Am I actually crying right now?

"I'm not. Sammy, babe, I'm not. There is something around you, magic, and it isn't like what the coven use." He keeps me tight against him as his words slowly filter into my brain.

"No, I'm just drunk." I admit.

He's on his phone and pauses for one second, obviously sniffing in my direction before he hits the call button. "Yeah, you're just drunk."

I don't believe that he believes that I am.

"Hey, stay awake for me. Sammy, look at me." The worry in his voice has me opening my eyes, and I try to smile.

"Hey, you." Leaning forward, I plan on kissing him only he turns away at the last minute.

His mouth is moving, but I can't quite hear what he's saying until Gwen's face is suddenly in front of me.

"She looks drunk. I don't really get anything else off her?"

"Thank you!" I hold my arms out to her, pulling her down to sit with me on the floor. Wait, when did I get onto the floor? "I missed you Gwenny Gwen Gwen."

She laughs, but I'm even getting awkward vibes from her now. "Love you too Sammy."

Cold air bites at my face as the rest of me feels so warm and safe. Looking around, the house is gone and we're out the front - still with Gwen. Aiden is literally carrying me and I feel like I've just missed something. Where did the floor go?

"What are we doing outside?"

Gwen tilts her head slightly before looking up at Aiden. "Did she ask why we're outside?"

"I think so." He mumbles. "We're going home, you've had a little too much to drink."

Again I hear that hint of fear that wakes me up, but taking in the situation I'm probably just imagining it and what I'm really hearing is pent up frustrations at having to deal with me like this.

"Oh." It's not embarrassing at all.

"We should tell her." Gwen whispers rather loudly.

"As soon as we're safe we will, but Brianna said to keep her calm so let her think she's just drunk." He growls back.

I laugh, I think I'm laughing. Gwen looks like a naughty kid who just got told off and I'm not sure where we're walking to as we cross the road. I know there is a park here, a boring one that only a slide and two tyre swings - one which is always broken. How fun are swings?

"Can we play?" I ask, realising we are indeed going into the park. "I want to go on the swing."

"Sure love, Brianna is going to meet us at the swing, and then we can play." Aiden tells me, kissing my forehead.

The next time I open my eyes, I'm in bed and something doesn't feel right. I know I didn't have that much to drink and even if I did, I've never just passed out. Memories of seeing the swing pop up yet they disappear as I see a light coming from the ensuite and slowly I sit up, regretting it instantly as my head feels as though it just exploded.

"Aiden?" Closing my eyes I wait for the worst of it to pass. "Gwen?"

I'm going to throw up and I barely get to my feet before I'm being pushed back down, a bucket placed in my hands just as I needed it. A hand rubs my back, another pulls my hair out of the way and sucking in a deep breath, I feel like I could possibly die right now. What the hell was in that champagne?

"You'll feel better tomorrow. I promise." A familiar male voice tells me, and it's not Aiden or anyone I know it should be.

Swallowing hard, my throat feels raw and turning to David that feeling that something isn't right turns into on full alarm bells - just a little too late.

"How?" I stutter, right before my stomach heaves once more.

"Nevermind that, just lay down and rest." He tells me softly once I'm done.

I want to yell at him, scream even. I want to get up, and leave. This isn't my room, this isn't even my house and yet, I can't bring myself to move as I manage to find some comfort in the bed. My eyes don't want to stay open, and I fight it until the headache forces them closed, yet I can feel his cool hand against my skin as he brushes my hair back from my face.

"You look so much like your mother." He whispers, and he places the lightest of kisses on my forehead. "Happy New Year, daughter."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3M 137K 44
****COMPLETED**** "You're driving me crazy," I growled, dropping my hand down to her waist then around to her lower back, sucking her earlobe into my...
4.1M 135K 51
Emmanuelle is running, running from a heartbreak she doesn't want to remember. Packing her things she takes off, driving to a wherever her car takes...
18.4K 724 34
**Not edited.** A mere human, being adopted by wolves is but one of many unique surprises surrounding Kay. When suddenly a fierce Alpha appears, foll...
24 0 8
A conspiracy hidden in lies. A world being threatened to change. An Alpha who can't believe the rumors. David lives in a world that he hadn't known e...