Lion's Game

By QueenOfShips2000

Formerly known as: Game of Dragons Game of Thrones AU {set before, during, and after Roberts Rebellion} Amara... More

House Lannister
House Targaryen
Playlist
CH 1
CH 2
CH 4
CH 5
CH 6
CH 7
CH 8
CH 9
CH 10
CH 11
CH 12
CH 13
CH 14
CH 15
CH 16
CH 17
CH 18
Update

CH 3

4.7K 105 2
By QueenOfShips2000

    Amara smiled as the last of her beautiful golden hair was twisted into curls. It wasn't often she styled her hair, but when she did she liked it very much. But she had to look her best tonight, provoking Elia to jealousy had gotten her this far.

She could not disappoint her father. Lord Tywin may act as though he was a proud father of his children. In truth, his appearance was not quite what it seemed. It was said that only Lady Joanna could make Lord Tywin smile, ever since their mother had died her father was an even colder man than before.

A sickening feeling developed in Amara's stomach at the thought. Amara forces a smile and stands, she was as ready as she'd ever been. Smoothing out the crimson fabric, Amara takes a deep breath to calm her nerves. She opens the door to a most welcome sight, Prince Rhaegar gazes at her with awe-struck eyes. Her curled-golden hair perfectly frames her face, her crimson dress accentuates her perfectly curved and yet slim figure.

"Your Grace, what a pleasant surprise." To Rhaegar her smile seemed genuine. Amara Lannister was a complicated puzzle, one moment she seemed sly and deceptive, the next she was happy and clever.

"I am here to escort you to dinner." He offers her his arm which she takes gladly after closing the door to her chambers. Rhaegar's mind drifts back to his dream, he had yet to meet the younger Lannister sister but he doubted he would need or want to. If the golden lion in his dream was meant to symbolize Amara he had to be sure of it. The pair begin making their way down the hall in comfortable silence.

"Is something bothering you, Prince Rhaegar?"

Rhaegar shakes his head and pushing his thoughts to the back of his mind. "Nothing of any importance." Amara gives him an interesting look as if she could read his mind. In truth, Amara was trying to come up with something to say.

"Even nothing can mean something. A person may not say much but their eyes tell a story. I get those looks from Cersei quite often." Rhaegar opens his mouth to respond but they reach his mother's chambers to dine.

Rhaegar motions to one of the Kingsguard standing outside the door. The older man dips his head and opens the door. Queen Rhaella sits at the table smiling, but her smile seems false when Amara turns her head she understood immediately. King Aerys Targaryen sat beside his wife with a sickening smile etched on his face. Amara's blood ran cold and forced herself to copy the queen's demeanor.

"Your Grace, I was not expecting such a delightful surprise." Amara bows, holding her breath as she feels the king's eyes rake over her. His appearance would make any woman a court shudder with fear, long unkempt silver locks, and nails that had grown into talons.

"I was eager to see the girl your father was so eager to hide. I've met your sister a pesky little thing, your father with teats. You on the other hand are very much your mother's girl." He chuckles lowly. Rhaegar stands stiffly behind her, his eyes never leaving his father, King Aerys sensed this and looked at his son and heir with disdain.

"Sit down boy I'm not here for you!" Amara takes Rhaegar's hand in hers and draws his attention. Her eyes were telling him to simply play along, Amara knew all too well what an angry and mad man would be capable of. Lord Tywin was a man to hide his feelings but Amara knew what it was like to at the receiving end of his anger.

Even the seemingly perfect daughter was not without her faults.

Amara moved to the chair next to King Aerys, but Rhaegar took her hand and guided her to the chair across from his mother. She knew that he would rather keep her as far away from his father as he possibly could. Amara took a deep breath preparing herself, what had seemed like a calm evening winning over the queen had become an evening of survival.

"Tell me Lady Lannister, what does your father have you doing that has kept you away from court for so long?" Aerys asked her, his sly grin showing off his disgusting yellow teeth.

"Your Grace is a busy man my father hardly has the time to run his own home. My lord father has had me do it for him." She cursed herself and prayed if word got back to her father he wouldn't be too angry. If playing the king and all others is what she has to do, it will be exactly what she does to get what she wants. King Aerys cackles clearly liking Amara's answer if she could keep it up she might just worm his way into the king's good graces. Queen Rhaella quietly motions for the servants to begin serving the evening meal.

"Finally! Proof Lord Tywin isn't as capable as he thinks he is. Hell, I bet you think you'd make a better King's Hand." Amara's soup spoon stopped just short of her mouth as she felt three pairs of purple eyes land on her.

Without taking a pause Amara responds as carefully and as flatteringly as she could. "Certainly not, Your Grace has done a much better job. But I will surely take up the challenge if Your Grace should ever see fit." Aerys continues to cackle. It was both easy and yet difficult to stroke the king's ego. Words had to be chosen very carefully but anything that called the king more capable than he really was was rather easy.

"See here boy, at least Lord Tywin's girl has respect for her king." Rhaegar's lips form a thin tight line. He knew better than to respond when his father was trying to bait him. It was behavior that made Amara sick to her stomach, she prayed the seven would not let King Aerys linger much longer on the Iron Throne.

"Your Grace has done well with the prince. Any girl would be fortunate to be courted by him... My father told me of your troubles in the search for a bride." Aerys' mood sours at the mention of her father.

"What of it?" He snaps.

Amara continues, her voice now showing hints of the nervousness she felt in her stomach. "I only mean to say that it is a shame that many noble ladies do not have a chance with the prince." Aerys scoffed and looked as though he was about to dismiss the comment until he looked her right in the eyes and asked her, "What about you Lady Lannister? Would you like to marry the prince?"

Amara felt a hand grab her own under the table, she took a pause before she replied. "I am afraid I am not worthy of the honor Your Grace. Although marrying a girl from one of the realm's noble houses might win you more favor and love than Your Grace already has. I would only hope that Prince Rhaegar gives me a chance." To both their surprise Aerys looks as though he might actually consider it. Much to her sadness, she had not been able to say anything to Queen Rhaella. But from the reports she received at Casterly Rock explained that when he burned men, the queen would have a visitor in the night. The thought that the king was forcing himself on his wife made her sick.

"What say, you boy? Would you have this girl, the daughter of a mere servant?" Rhaegar took a long silence before he gave his response. He knew the question was meant to bait him, to give his father an answer that proved him unworthy of the throne.

"Actually father I would. The other girls are vain and acting under the orders of many of those who crave power in your court. If given the chance marrying Lady Amara would win the love and support from those lords we don't already have it from. Now if you will excuse me it is rather late and both Lady Amara and I wish to retire.' Rhaegar waited for no one as he roughly pushed back his seat and stood. Grabbing Amara's hand he leaves his mother's chambers in a huff pulling Amara along until they were alone and out of sight.

Rhaegar and Amara could now let out the collective breathe they'd both been holding.

"I shouldn't have provoked him, I didn't mean to put you in such a position." Her words make Rhaegar stop and sigh.

"It was not your fault My Lady. I am sorry about my father, The Defiance of Duskendale truly changed him." Amara nodded understanding that the king was paranoid and it was going worse according to nearly everyone at court. There were no words to comfort a son whose father would rather see him dead than on the Iron Throne. His words lingered in the air between the two of them.

"It's alright Rhaegar I understand, does he scare me? Yes, he does. But will I let fear rule me? No." Rhaegar laughs and smiles sweetly at her. She smiled sweetly and it was the kind of smile that would drive anyone especially the prince mad. The pair continued their journey back to Amara's chambers falling into a comfortable conversation.

It was only when they neared her door did she finally ask the question that had been on her mind since they had left the dinner.

"Did you truly mean it when you said you'd marry me if it came down to it?" It was the first time he had seen her gaze at him with something entirely new, shyness. Being a Lannister, shyness and other womanly weaknesses were not encouraged. Lord Tywin cared for his eldest but she was not a man, were she a man none of this would be needed.

They paused just before her door. "In truth... I meant every word. You are far different from any woman here at court. If it comes down to the choice you would be mine. Though I doubt either of us will get one."

It was something that Amara took seriously, if the people thought her kind and beautiful that is what she would let the people believe. If she had to play the Game of Thrones, she would play the game and win. She wouldn't let herself be seen as weak, she was a Lannister and if she wanted to be the queen she could just as easily take it. 

She may not have wanted or even liked the idea of royalty before. What this prince was young, handsome, and everything people said he was. Cersei had no chance to win over the prince and if it was possible to get even the king and queen to like her she might just be able to take the crown for herself. She may not have been at court very long but she was starting to learn just what it meant to have to come out of one's shell.

The pair remain silent as they made their way back to Amara's chambers, Amara had so much to say yet her mouth could not find the right words. Disappointment bubbled in her stomach as her chamber door came into view. Amara stopped just short of the door and turned to Rhaegar, indigo eyes met emerald as if to say so much without speaking a word. Her father always had such high ambitions for her but this was the first time Amara had ever dared to want something for herself. But he was promised to a princess, she was the daughter of a rich lord whom the king hated.

Amara was so consumed with her thoughts that she missed Rhaegar bidding her goodnight.

"Goodnight my prince," Amara said as she sank into a curtsy. Rhaegar smiled at her politely, kissing her hand before disappearing down the hall. She stood watching him until his figure had gone, her gaze had fallen to where his lips had touched her hand. She let out a heavy sigh as she retreated into her chambers, Amara glanced at her appearance in the mirror as her handmaiden helped her undress and ready for bed. She was just as beautiful as any other girl here at court if not more so. Her handmaiden finished helping her ready for bed and quietly slipped from the room as she sat down to write to Lysander.

Dearest Lysander,

All the time father wrote to us of the dangers he found in court are all true. I have not been here long but I fear what awaits us. Prince Rhaegar is every bit as charming as the girl's gossip, father wishes for me to find a way to seduce him and become his wife instead of the dornish princess. His amethyst pools are something to behold, but it's not him I worry about. King Aerys behavior troubles me greatly, he trusts no one, not his son or his queen. I know that I must be careful if I am to survive. This is the great game of thrones and I intend to be one of the ones left standing. I miss you and our brothers, please be careful and stay strong.

Your loving sister, Amara

 For the first time, Amara would take what she wanted, consequences be damned.

WRITTEN: December 28, 2017

EDITED: August 3, 2021

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.6K 228 25
this story is totally different from others!!this is a house of dragons fanfic!!!! Visenya Valeryon, bastard daughter of Harvin Strong and, heir to t...
6.9K 549 31
Cregan Stark/OC - Obligatory NOT self insert I just like making unique characters not in the show/book. Smut, of course. :) ⚠️Warnings: mention/desc...
1.2K 40 22
❝A Dragon must serve❞ That's what Aemma Targaryen had been taught her whole life, they serve the Crown, the Throne, the Realm and the people. And tha...
871 28 13
"It had been a long time since Aemond had known real fear. So long that he couldn't even recognize the feeling when he came upon the man drowning his...