Slapshot

By bittersvveet

slapshot is the story of how a championship high school hockey team falls straight to the bottom after openin... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Off Limits
Chapter 2: Tryouts
Chapter 3: Married to Hockey
Chapter 4: Braden
Chapter 5: Maria
Chapter 6: First Kisses
Chapter 7: Sad
Chapter 8: "Feel Okay"
Chapter 9: Her Shot
Chapter 10: The Hockey Party
Chapter 11: Heart to Heart
Chapter 12: Game Day
Chapter 13: Sneak Out
Chapter 14: Break-up
Chapter 15: Hurt
Chapter 16: Hurt Too
Chapter 17: Injuries
Chapter 18: Day Off
Chapter 19: Check-up
Chapter 20: The New Guy
Chapter 21: Urgent
Chapter 22: The Bad Game
Chapter 23: Cameron
Chapter 24: Sketchy
Chapter 25: Cleared
Chapter 26: A Study Party
Chapter 27: About Last Night
Chapter 28: Everything's Changed
Chapter 29: A Week and a Half
Chapter 30: You Love Me?
Chapter 31: The McDonald's Intervention
Chapter 32: Silent Healing
Chapter 33: He's Back, Boys!
Chapter 34: Finally

Chapter 35: Interrupted

16 1 0
By bittersvveet

Jonathan's POV

I walked back into my house with the biggest fucking grin on my face.

"What happened?" Cathy asked.

"Nothing." I say, walking past her.

"Then why do you look so happy?" She asked weirdly.

"I'm not." I say innocently, trying to hide the smile on my face.

"Jonathan." She groaned.

"Shush. I don't have to tell you everything," I dismissed her, walking up the stairs.

"But I like Taylor." She whined.

"Yeah, me too." I chuckled, entering my room and closing the door behind me. I lay down on the bed, not being able to get the ugly smile off my face.

I grabbed my phone off my bed and called Tom. He answered right away. "Hey, what's up?" He said.

"Would you believe me if I told you I kissed Taylor?" I asked.

"Uh.... Yeah. I probably would." He said, not seeming phased.

"Would you believe me if I told you that she kissed me?" There I was, fucking smiling again.

"Wait, what?" Now he sounded interested.

"Would you believe me if I told you that both things happened, just ten minutes ago?" I said.

"Cut to the fucking chase, what are you talking about?" He said, sounding urgent.

"She came over. And she kissed me." I said, cutting it short.

"Seriously? Why?" He asked.

"I don't know, she said she needed to figure some things out, decide how she's feeling." I say.

"Oh. I would not have expected that." Tom said.

"Yeah, I didn't expect it either. It just kinda happened." I say.

"And you're still happy?" Tom said with a laugh.

"Well, yeah, because now I know that she likes me back." I say.

He sounded confused. "Huh? Did she say that?"

"No, but trust me, just the way she was acting, I could tell." I say, and the second she left, I knew this was true. "The way she looked at me, the things she was saying, it was obvious. Then she kissed me and acted completely shocked."

"Shit, Jon." Tom replied with a small laugh. "You realize she's definitely gonna tell me about this. Recently, she's enjoyed confiding in me, and I have no clue why."

"I think she'll tell Cameron." I say, sitting up.

"Is that a good thing?"

"Well I think he might like me now. He stepped into a fucking fight for me today, for crying out loud."

"Yeah, that's true. I told you he wasn't that bad." Tom said. I scoffed lightly. We continued talking for a bit longer about the game before parting. I stayed laying on my bed, not able to stop smiling for the rest of the night. 

——

Taylor's POV

Cameron told me he'd be late to school today. He begged me to tell him about last night, but I said it was a better story to tell in person, so he'd have to wait until I could explain face to face.

When I wasn't doing my homework last night, I was freaking out. I tended to over think a lot whenever something happened, and I definitely had trouble focusing on anything last night because of this. I worried it'd haunt me until I did something to stop it. Which is why when I spotted Jonathan at his locker Thursday morning, I decided to walk over to him.

He heard me coming because of the stupid crutches, turning to look at me. "Hey." He said.

"I have to talk to you." I say.

He looks around. "Here?"

I look around, too. There were lots of students passing by. "Somewhere private."

"There's only, like, ten minutes until homeroom." He points out.

"That's all I need." I say. "Let's go to the rink."

We start walking in that direction, and he chuckles. "It's going to take you ten minutes just to get there."

"Shut up." I laugh. It does take us a few minutes to get there, but I don't mind being late to homeroom.

He opens the rink door, and the cool air immediately hits us. "I'm not getting to the top, let's just sit here." I say, sitting on the first row of the bleachers. He takes a seat beside me.

"What's up?" He asked.

I take a deep breath. "I don't know how I feel yet—".

"That's fine." He cuts me off.

"But it's not." I continue. "Because last night I couldn't do anything, I couldn't even focus on my homework or on anything because of what happened."

He pauses. "So now you know how I felt."

I sigh. He was right. "I'm sorry." I shake my head, because now I felt selfish.

"Don't be sorry." He says quietly.

"What am I supposed to do? I'm even nervous right now, Jon." I say, looking at the ground. My leg was bouncing up and down subconsciously.

"Yeah, your hands are shaking." He mumbled. "Why are you so nervous?"

"I'm worried that I ruined it between us. I'm worried that I can't give you what you want, and then you're never going to want to talk to me again. I'm worried that this isn't going to work out. I'm just overthinking everything, I guess." I say, not able to look at him. I don't know what it was, but for some reason I was always my most honest self with him. 

"Taylor..." He trails off, cupping my cold hands in his warm ones. The bell rings, but neither of us make a move to stand or get to class. "You didn't ruin our friendship, if anything I ruined it." He pauses before continuing. "What do you want?"

"What do you mean?" I say, finally looking at him.

"Not in the future, but right now, in this moment. What do you want?" He asks.

"I want to be your friend, and I want things to go back to normal. At least for right now."

"Okay..." He says.

"But I don't know if I can do that." I say with a sigh. He looked confused. Obviously he was confused, even I was confused.

"Contrary to what you may think, not everything always has to be planned out, it doesn't always have to be in order." He says.

"Meaning...?" I ask.

"Meaning don't worry. We're here right now, just go with it."

"Jon..." I start.

"Don't worry. If you wanna be friends, we'll be friends. If you want advice, I'll give you advice. If you want to kiss me, then go ahead." He said, his face breaking out into a smile.

"If you want to hold my hands, then go ahead." I chuckled, gesturing to our hands.

He smiled. "Just treat this like normal. Don't overthink anything, just go with it." He says.

"Okay." I say.

"So we're all good?" He asked.

I nodded. "Isn't this weird? Me and you? You used to hate me." I say with a chuckle. "Like, despise me." 

"Yeah, I did." He says, giving me a sheepish look. "I'm sorry."

"I was so offended because nobody's ever hated me." I reply.

"I'm sorry. At least I taught you how to play hockey." He points out.

"Only because you were forced to teach me." I remind him. He laughs.

"Are you gonna want to play again? After your foot's healed?" He asks.

"Maybe. I don't really know. I kinda sucked before." I say truthfully. "I'm going to physio tonight, though."

"Oh." He says. "Are you going alone?"

I shake my head. "Cameron's offered to come."

"Oh," says Jon. "That's nice."

I laughed at how uncomfortable he looked. "You know yesterday he almost got into a fight for me." He said.

I remember seeing that and being surprised. "So you don't hate him anymore?"

He shrugs. "He's alright." I smile. At least my two friends were getting along.

I shrug my hands away and take out my phone to check the time. "Maybe we should go to class." I say quietly.

Jonathan shakes his head no, leaning forward and tucking my hair behind my ear. He kept playing with it, smoothing it out. I observed his face, how he was able to look so interested in such a simple task. Then when his eyes met mine, he leaned in very, very slowly. Our faces were just inches apart and I could feel his breath against me when the rink door opened very loudly. Jonathan immediately stood up.

My gaze shot to him first, standing straight with his hands behind his back, and then the door. The head janitor, Mr. Norberg, stood at the door, looking at us oddly.

"What are you doing here? Shouldn't you two be in class?" He asked, his eyes trailing between the two of us.

"We're on spare." Jon said for the both of us.

"Well I don't know about you, but I know Taylor isn't. Come on, get to class." He says, and I reluctantly stand up with my bag. Jon gives me a weird look, but I gesture for him to follow me out of the rink.

"Bye Mr. Norberg." I say as I pass by him. He closes the door behind us.

"How the hell does he know your schedule? I don't even know your schedule." Jon mumbles as we walk out.

"Back when I sprained my ankle I had to use the elevator a few times in the morning and didn't have a key. So I had to talk to him to use his." I inform him.

"Oh." He huffed. I looked at him with a smile.

"Don't be angry, you can kiss me some other time." I chuckled. His face burned red.

"I don't know what you're talking about." He said, turning to me and this time chuckling as well.

I smirked as we continued to walk down the hall to my class. I'd probably walk in 10 minutes late, but I could always just blame it on the crutches.

"Sorry for making us late," I said as we neared my class.

"I don't mind." He says.

We both stopped outside of my class. "I'll see you around." I say, "Thanks."

"Yeah, see you." He says, an unreadable expression on his face as I walked into my class and he left.

——

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8M 69K 48
FREE STORY. PAID BONUS CHAPTERS. ❝Our eyes met, Our bodies touched, Our hearts fell.....all the way down in love,❞ A Shy Senior Year College Girl A P...
31K 559 21
Love that we can not have is the one that lasts the longest, hurts the deepest, and feels the strongest -Unknown Jonathan Toews was never the one to...
295K 18.4K 45
When Aria Monroe lands her dream job as the new photographer for Los Angeles's professional hockey team, the last thing she expects is to work with t...
10.5K 194 19
COMPLETE! give it a try! 🌸Ava is sunshine girl. On the first day of school she gets paired up in the wrong room filled with hockey boys. She meets h...