My Mannequin Man [coming soon]

By nightlives

Who ever said your dream boy couldn't be real? Zoella Hartman does. She thinks that her dream boy only exists... More

Introduction

1 | Stars are for Squares

319 30 11
By nightlives

1 | Stars are for Squares

How do you classify a dreamer?

According to the dictionary, a dreamer is

: a person whose ideas and plans are not practical or based in reality

: a person who dreams while sleeping

The Urban Dictionary on the other hand, says that a dreamer is

: One who doesn't think by physical boundaries, who has 'his / her head in the clouds'.

There was also one time dreamer meant morphine. So I guess dreamers meant druggies? I don't know, I don't think I'll ever understand.

Most people would classify themselves as a dreamer.

I on the other hand do not.

Now okay you're probably thinking, does this girl have a soul or sense of imagination or what? But seriously, I actually have a pretty decent and normal amount of imagination for a teenage girl.

"Zoe, tell me your idea of the 'perfect guy'?"

I scrunched my nose in response. Other than a realist, I was also very picky. One of my very bad traits was being too selective and precise, almost to the point where I'd end up hurting the person's feelings or ruining the moment. But my perfect guy? He doesn't exist. Well, maybe in my dreams, but that's where it'll always be. Of course I didn't tell them that, so I told them something else. Something typical.

"My idea of the 'perfect guy'. He has to be hot, funny, and sweet." See? Typical.

"Okay!" Casey, one of my co-workers squealed. She's the sweet, excited one in the group. A little loopy and clueless at times, but she's alright. "My turn! My 'perfect guy'. . . has to look like a model. I'm talking muscular but not too muscular. Manly but not too manly. I'm basically saying I want a guy who is. . . just right. You know what I mean?"

Oh I know exactly what you mean. Another word left unsaid. It would be embarrassing to say that, so I just kept silent again.

"-he also has to be sweet and kind. Sensitive and thoughtful."

But then Casey's smile fades as fast as cheap sticker tattoos. She's probably thinking about Logan. She sighs sadly as she pops in her last tater tot. "I just wish Logan were like that. . . Not look like a model because he already does. But he isn't as sweet as he used to, but things have changed. He's been really possessive whenever I talk to other guys, but when it's just the two of us he acts as if nothing has happened. He's just so complicated!"

Casey and Logan are in this dramatic on and off relationship. One moment they'd be at each other's throats, the next they'd be all lovey-dovey. They've been best friends since the womb. Attached to the hip before they were born. But as she grew older she had developed feelings for him, and he did too, so things went downhill from there. So now it's just snowballs.

I think she can see that things have really changed, but she's just too blinded by love to realize that. I guess that's what love does.

"I just wish things were better between us you know?"

Wish.

I've never relied on wishes. Ever since our 7th grade English teacher had said that 'wish' was a term used in phrases, sentences, and expressions to indicate that the situation will never happen, or is impossible.

And as I thought about it that day, I realized he was right. So I cleared my head of the thoughts of wishing. All of it; wishing on shooting stars, four leafed clovers, wishbones, everything. Because they were for squares.

That my friends was how Zoe the Realist came to be.

Not wanting to continue on the subject any further, Brenna spoke up. "K, don't worry about it alright? Let's just eat so we can get back to work and go home."

So we did. We continued to eat our lunch, chattering all about clothes, celebrities (this week we blabbered about Dylan Sprayberry), boys (I kept shut the whole time) and the latter, until our break was over and we had to return to work.

Karen and I both worked as saleswomen in the mall's American Apparel branch. The job isn't much but it pays well. It's not like there are any more jobs up for grabs especially now. Yes so as of right now, selling moderately to expensively priced clothing is my calling.

We were fifteen all in all. You may think that since we're so little as compared to other branches as a staff we'd be close, but we weren't. Because the only people I knew were Karen, and Brenna. I also knew Teddy and Carlos, who were male employees of the store.

Teddy and Carlos were okay. They were pretty cool guys. I have spoken to Teddy once or twice and he seemed nice. But there were also times when he acted like a show-off. Carlos on the other hand, was the goofball of the two, always coming to work to say bonehead things and we all laugh. They were best friends judging by the way they always hang with each other.

On one occasion, Casey thought Teddy and I were a thing, which was totally uncalled for. Teddy was cute, but I viewed our relationship as a close friendship. He, in fact, has a thing for someone else, and I'm in no position to ruin that.

Our boss, Heather, is going on maternity leave, because of her third child on the way. Leaving me in charge, and not Casey who like I said before was a little loopy. I accepted it of course, feeling empathy for the hardworking woman. And it would mean a boost in my salary. . . That is if I don't screw up.

"Hey everyone. I'm going on leave now. Zoe's in charge so please don't give her a hard time." Heather says to all of us together before going through farewells with us individually. She gives each of the other workers hugs and occasional jokes before moving on to the next.

Then Carlos and Teddy. "Carlos, you better behave yourself. No extra lunch breaks got it?" Heather ruffles his shaggy hair and pats his shoulder. Carlos gives her a thumbs up but inverts his hands as she turns around to bid farewell to the others. He's such a goofball. The last extra lunch break he took made Heather throw a hissy fit.

"Teddy, you better keep an eye out on Carlos. Make sure he doesn't do anything stupid!" Teddy nods and winks at Heather.

"Yes ma'am!" he says with a salute.

Brenna and Casey next. "Girls, no Starbucks breaks. Don't think I check the trash bins for nothing-- oh Casey stop your blushing you're making a fool out of yourself," Heather says. I tried my hardest not to snort and make a face in front of Heather. The 'seemingly harmless' Starbucks trips those two make weren't as 'seemingly harmless' as they thought.

And finally, me.

"Zoella, you're the boss now. I trust you so just take good care of the place so we don't get fired. But you're a responsible kid, after this I'll probably be ringing you up to babysit Geoffrey and Opal," she jokes, patting my back and proceeds to picking up her bag. I help her with the rest of her things, before giving her a hug.

"You got it, Heather. I'll be good." She gives me a warm nod and exits the store, giving all of us a final wave before taking off.

Almost instantly, Carlos announces we have a party.

"--MEGA STORE PARTY!"

He prances around the store, doing dance move after dance move. Thinking there was club music blasting through the shop speakers. Thank god there were no customers at this hour, who knows what could've happened.

We let him be, already knowing he'd get tired out and just munch on some chips then nap later. Although we did tell him to keep it down.

Teddy soon joined in with his crazy best friend's antics, mimicking Carlos' stupid dance moves. I just put my head on my hands and continued to flick through the slick pages of the catalogue showing this seasons newest trends. I mentally punched myself for not bringing any books today, seeing is that it was a slow day and no one was coming in, I was completely bored to put it shortly.

The rest of the workers are nowhere to be found, I spot Brenna and Casey busy painting each other's nails in one corner of the store, and Carlos is still dancing. A small part of me wonders where his partner in crime is until he pops up (literally) beside me. "So Miss Boss, what's on today's agenda?"

"The fuck is wrong with you Teddy? Jeez, you scared the living beans out of me! and don't call me that, it makes me feel old." It takes a few seconds to get over that shock.

He lets out a chuckle and pats my back, "No wonder Heather put you up for this job. Always the uptight miss. . Zoella."

"Like your name isn't more obnoxious Teddy, at least I have a normal name. And only certain people call me that; people I actually consider my friends and family."

"Hey! Haven't I told you before that Teddy is just a nickname for Theodore. And last time I heard, Zoella is not even a real name." He shoots back.

"No, you haven't. And yes it is! You just don't know me that well to realize it." I reply, turning my attention to my watch, 6:37, an hour and a half left before quitting time.

Speaking of quitting time, "Hey Teddy, I can't take the graveyard shift tonight. Do you think you or Carlos can do it?"

His reply was almost immediate, and yet he still seemed so cool and collected. "No, nope. Heather particularly assigned you to do this. . . Miss 'Boss'"

How dare he drag Heather into this! "Oh come on, Ted! Just one night! I'll do anything!"

"Anything?"

I could do nothing but nod. I nodded slowly, scared of what he might propose. This was terrifying to say the least. But I was desperate.

"Hmm, nope. Can't think of anything. Sorry Zozo, you're on your own for tonight." He says with a cheeky grin, oh the things I would do to wipe or surgically remove that off his stupid face.

Teddy sees that I'm clearly not amused, and wraps an arm around me, "Aw our wittle Zozo is scared! Huh. Never took you as a scaredy cat, Zozo. Don't worry though, night shifts are fun! In fact, they're more exciting than day shifts. Right, Carlos?"

Carlos, clearly tired from the dancing, gave us a thumbs up before plopping on one of the store counters. "See? He agrees!"

"Whatever. I'm not a scaredy cat you noob, I've just been feeling extra tired lately, you know with applications, prom, work, taking care of Daniel. . . It's really overwhelming; I never get enough sleep. And tonight is the night of the meteor shower! I promised myself I would be there to see it."

"Stop making me wanna cry Zoe, it's ruining my manly facade," he says with a frown. His attempts to cheer me up surprisingly amused me, to say the least. "Tell you what, if you make it out alive by tomorrow morning. . . I'll take you out for lunch."

My eyebrows collide at his proposal, "You, want to take me out?" I ask disbelievingly.

He nods, and I scoff. "You noob. Okay fine. If I get through the night shift in one piece, you have to treat me to lunch for the whole week."

"And if you don't?"

"If I don't. . . you can take the day off tomorrow."

His eyes light up like my phone screen, "Seriously?"

"Yeah. I'm the boss now remember? So, do we have a deal?" I stick my hand out.

He takes it in his, "Deal. And don't worry, I left some holy water in the break room."

Jerk.

[a/n]:

woah woah woah hold up this is the first chapter?????????

whuttttttt? ok ill stop bc i love you.

yes this is the first chapter. please please please tell me what you think!! bc this story would be nothing without your continued support.

this is only a semi-intro of what happens, so more exciting shit comes soon after. like idk the wish?!?!?!?

catch you noobs later

yeah see? you gorgeous peeps are my noobs.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.3M 204K 22
It's not everyday that you get asked by a multi-billionaire man to marry his son. One day when Abrielle Caldwell was having the worst day of her life...
498K 1.9K 61
lesbian oneshots !! includes smut and fluff, chapters near the beginning are AWFUL. enjoy!
237K 6.5K 52
what happened when the biggest mafia in the world hid his real identity and married an innocent, sweet girl?
BLUE BLOOD By ec

Teen Fiction

364K 13.7K 63
Anybody who is a somebody knows that the blue-blooded heirs of Queens Erlington Academy keep secrets. Never fall in love with a blue blood or you'll...