Underlying Truths

By MaybeitsBee

After the death of her best friends father, Carina finds her heart heavy with grief but determination within... More

Underlying Truths - Prologue
Underlying Truths - Chapter One - "The Image"
Underlying Truths - Chapter Two - "Emails"
Underlying Truths - Chapter Three - "Absence"
Underlying Truths - Chapter Four - "The Shadow"
Underlying Truths - Chapter Five - "The Message"
Underlying Truths - Chapter Six - "The Invitation"
Underlying Truths - Chapter Seven - "Illuminated"
Underlying Truths - Chapter Eight - "Revelation"
Underlying Truths - Epilogue

Underlying Truths - Chapter Nine - "The Aftermath"

160 3 0
By MaybeitsBee

Last chapter! I'm on a roll, guys :D

I hope that the (rather few) people who have read and followed this story aren't (too) disappointed (or maybe even if at all?) on how this story turned out and developed. In my head, it was a truly awesome and thrilling ride but I found it rather hard to translate those same feelings into words. *sigh* The hardships of being an author...

Anyway, THANK YOU! Nothing else can better or more perfectly to reflect my feelings than those two words. Thank you to all the fans, all the readers, and the select few that actually voted. Thank you so much!

Enjoy this because the epilogue is not that great :P

(Quick Note: I don't remember ever mentioning Spencer's or Will's last name, but if I had given them one before and it doesn't correspond with the ones I use in this chapter, I'm sorry. Leave a comment as to what it is and I'll change it. I seriously can't remember it, which is exactly why I need a character list: something I didn't make for this story.)

(Another Quick Note: This is a long chapter and the first chapter that's named a phrase that does not appear within the actual chapter. Just pointing that out [: )

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Underlying Truths - Chapter Nine - "The Aftermath"

Will and I sat on the dirt behind those police cars as the minutes ticked by, finally composed and our breathing even. We watched as Spencer was pulled out of the small wooden cabin all the while glaring at the general direction of where I sat. We watched as an officer explained to Spencer what his rights were as he was seated in the back of one of their cruisers. We watched as the small group of officers huddled around each other as they stood by the cruiser Spencer was in before slowly making their way to where we were.

Will and I stood as an officer neared us. Will kept his arms around my waist, probably afraid that I was going to collapse from shock or trauma at any moment.

"Ms. Bellevue?" the officer before us asked.

"Yes, that's me," I answered quietly, my arms crossed over my chest.

"May we speak with you for a moment?" he asked, though his eyes weren't focused on me. Following the officer's gaze, I found it focused on Will who was staring at me uneasily.

"I'll be fine," I reassured Will before giving him a quick hug and following the officer as he led me away from Will.

We stopped near where the trees began, setting the perimeter of the clearing that the bungalows were built in.

"I'm Officer Marks," he said politely as he held his hand out.

"Carina Bellevue," I stated as I shook his hand.

"Ms. Bellevue, I understand that Mr. Spencer Anderson was a friend of yours?" he asked as he looked down at a clipboard in his hands.

"He's one of my best friends," I whispered out in agreement.

"So, why would he do this? Did you do anything to provoke these kinds of actions?"

I narrowed my eyes at the officer. "Spencer is going through a rough time right now. His father has just recently passed away and they were closer than anyone could possibly imagine. The death is incredibly hard on him and he sees me as the one responsible for his father's death. I know it's absurd, but he's not thinking straight right now," I said as I looked away, midnight was fast approaching.

The officer was giving me a questioning glance and I figured that he didn't know exactly why I wasn't the one to blame.

"His father died of cancer, officer," I informed him, to which he gave a curt nod.

"Setting aside the topic of his reasoning for a second, can you tell me about the acts he committed in relation to you that led up to this confrontation, Ms. Bellevue?" the officer asked as he scribbled something on the clipboard.

"I have no confirmation that he was responsible for the coming acts I'm going to list but his actions tonight lead me to believe so. I don't know for certain that he was the one to commit the actions I'll be describing next, so please understand that this isn't some type of testimony," I began before taking a deep breath and wrapping my arms tightly around myself.

"An image was sent to me, which began all this. It was made to project an image of myself, dead and mutilated. After I received that, I started getting daily email messages, at midnight on the dot, logging all major actions I committed during each day. Things like leaving and returning home, arriving and leaving work, clocking in and out of my job, when I got in and out of my car, and places I visited were all listed and logged with times next to them. Times that were accurate right down to the second. Last night, a figure was present in my bedroom, probably Spencer himself. It was dressed in all black and looked like he had something shiny in his hand, which was probably his cellphone since I called him right after the incident and he answered immediately. Earlier today, a message in red, viscous liquid was written on the windshield of my car. It basically said that he didn't send an email message the night before because he actually came for a personal visit, hence the figure in my bedroom. He said that he feared he'd been too impersonal with his actions. After that, I ran to Will's house and grabbed him to show him the message. By the time we got back to my car, the message was gone. I made my way back home after that, which is when I got the invitation via chat message to come here tonight," I explained. "He threatened to involve others in this mess and I couldn't let that happen. It's enough to terrorize myself, but I don't need the people I love to be pulled in, too."

The officer nodded and took notes while I spoke. Not once did he stop me for elaboration. I assumed that elaborations would probably come later.

"Well, Ms. Bellevue," the officer said with a sigh. "While you were talking to me, Mr. William Tallin was also being questioned."

I looked over my shoulder at Will who looked like he and another officer were finishing something up.

"You are both free to go home tonight, but we need to keep Mr. Anderson in custody," Officer Marks continued. "We'll most likely set a court date in addition to assessing his mental health. We'll most likely be in contact with your and Mr. Tallin's family."

I nodded and merely listened.

Officer cleared his throat. "I hope the rest of your night goes well," he said in a bid of goodbye as he walked away and got in the driver seat of the cruiser Spencer was currently in the backseat of.

I heard the crunching of gravel beside me causing me to turn my head and see what was causing it. Will was giving me a tired smile as he came closer to me, his hands buried deep in his jeans' pockets.

"Did they ask you for much?" he asked in a whisper once he stood next to me.

"Nah," I replied as we both watched the cruisers in front of us start their engines and begin to make their way back to the main road.

I turned and face him, looking up to glance at his face.

"Thank you so much for being smart, Will," I told him while staring into his eyes, smiling sincerely grateful. "I was so scared, for both Spencer and I, that making that risky phone call was all that I seemed capable of doing. I didn't even know how much it could even help, if at all."

"How'd you figure it out?" I asked in completely curiosity.

Will slung his arms around his shoulder and started leading us to the main road.

"How about I explain it on the way back to my house?" he asked.

"My car's here, Will," I protested lightly, though I didn't really feeling like driving myself home.

"I don't want you being alone at any time tonight," he reasoned. "We'll come back for it tomorrow."

I nodded and leaned my head against his shoulder as we walked slowly along the dirt road presumably making our way to where he parked the car he drove. Finally reaching where his parents' car was parked on the side of the road, Will pulled the passenger seat car door open for me and helped me inside though I didn't really need the assistance. As I squirmed in my seat and tried to settle myself in, I realized that Will held one of my hands and still had not begun making his was around to the other side of the car. I turned to face him and gave him a blank stare, not really knowing what to make of the situation.

"I just want you to know that I'll always be here when you need me, Cari," he said as he lowered his eyes to the ground.

"Look at me, Will," I told him, to which he obeyed. I gave him the best smile I could muster at the moment before adding, "I know that, Will, why else would I have called you and not someone else?"

He sighed loudly before looking off to the side. "It's just..."

His gaze returned to my face and he stared at me right in the eyes, his own pair sharp and slightly pained.

"This morning, when you accused me of being the one who had done all those things to you, it really hurt, Carina. I always thought you knew me better than that, that you knew I cared about you more than that," he said.

I leaned slightly out of the car and hugged Will tightly.

"I realize that now, Will," I said, angling my head to say it into his ear. "I promise you that I do."

He pulled away and put a hand on the edge of the open car door.

"Okay, Carina. Let's go home," he said with a small grin before closing my door shut and jogging to the driver's side of the car.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

I made my way down from Will's bedroom, leaving him asleep upstairs. I trudged down the stairs tiredly before entering their kitchen where Will's mom was bustling around and slaving over the stove.

"Good morning, Laura," I greeted Will's mother, a woman I've known since I was young.

"Good morning, Carina," she said. She was still oblivious as to why Will and I came into their home in home in the middle of the night and to the reason behind my little episode early last morning.

"What's for breakfast?" I asked a little excitedly as I hopped one of the kitchen stools around the middle island of their kitchen and folded my hands in front of me.

As soon as Laura saw the bright smile on my face, she laughed. She was glad that, though she didn't know the exact reason why, I was much happier than yesterday.

"Pancakes and scrambled eggs," she said as she placed a plate in front of me. "With optional hash browns, which are for whoever gets to them first."

She added the last part while pointing to a plate of hash browns to the side of the stove.

"I'll pass on those," I decided after eating half of my first pancake.

"I'll let Will and Dan wolf them down, not to mention I'm sure you'll finish what's left, that is, if there's any," I added speaking of her son and husband.

After I finished, I brought my plate to the sink and rinsed it quickly before sticking it in the empty dishwasher that was waiting to be filled until after lunch. When I turned and faced Will's mother, I could tell she desperately wanted to ask me questions and receive some explanations.

I shot her an apologetic look until I heard someone making their way downstairs.

"Mom? Carina?" Will's voice called out, still husky from just waking up.

"In the kitchen, Will!" I shouted at him.

"Look, Laura," I said, my apologetic glance returning. "I really have to go visit the Anderson household at the moment and I'm so sorry that you won't hear the explanation from me, but I'm sure that Will would be more than happy to answer your every question and provide a lengthy explanation for all of this."

"Huh?" Will groaned out as he slowly made his way into the kitchen, recognizing his name in our conversation.

"Have fun beating information out of your son," I said to Laura with a chuckle as I leaned over and kissed her cheek.

"I'll be back later, Laura," I promised her, receiving a nod and a smile in return. "See you in a few, Will."

"Make sure you're back here in an hour, Carina," Will called out and warned as I made my way out of his house.

I merely gave him a loud laugh in return (and a roll of the eyes that he surely didn't see) before shutting their front door behind me. As I jogged across the street and made my way to the Anderson house, I strongly wished that Greg was already awake. Knocking on their door loudly, I heard the shuffling of feet on the other side of the door making be breathe out a sigh of relief. Greg pulled the door open, looking like he hasn't slept all night.

"Good morning, Carina," he mumbled out. His tone alone told me that he wasn't having one of his own.

"I'm guessing you already know?" I asked with a slight cringe.

"The cops called me in the middle of the night telling me that my brother was in their custody for suspected attempted murder, harassment, and a bunch of other possible charges," he mumbled out. "I hadn't slept very well since then. With having to make tons of phone calls to lawyers and my own brothers, it's hard to keep everyone up to date."

"I'm really sorry, Greg," I apologized for a reason that even I wasn't sure of.

"You shouldn't be the one apologizing, Carina," Greg said as he pulled the door open even wider and invited me in.

We both made out way back into the living room that had a bunch of empty drink bottles and opened bags of food on the coffee table along with Spencer's and Greg's cellphones and the family phone.

"Sorry for the mess," Greg mumbled.

Once I settled on one end of the couch and Greg on the other (both of us facing the other), I looked away before saying anything.

"Spencer saw me as the one responsible for your father's death," I whispered out. "I'm sorry if you and your brothers see it that way, but I promise you that if there was anything I could do to save Uncle Sam, I would have done it."

I was close to tears and Greg could sense that. He scooted over closer to me and placed a hand on my shoulder comfortingly.

"None of my brothers, other than Spencer, or myself have even come close to thinking of blaming you for our father's death, Carina," he said as his other hand wiped away the few tears that trekked down my face. "You have to understand that."

I waved my hand. "I know that, but now that this happened, I'm not really sure if I can trust what I know anymore. Never in a million years would have I expected Spencer to do something like this, let alone to me. It's just..."

I took a deep breath.

"I just don't know anything anymore, Greg," I whispered out, my voice breaking pathetically.

Greg pulled me into his arms, keeping me there until I had calmed down. I pulled way from him slowly before clearing my throat.

"So, any news about Spencer?" I asked timidly, not knowing what to expect.

Greg raked his hand through his hair and took a deep breath. By now, I knew he was fatigued.

"A court date has been set. They advised us that it would be better for Spencer to stay at this facility that they currently have him in until the court date. After researching the place and talking to his brothers, we agreed on keeping him there. The police department don't seem sure of his mental stability to make his own choices even though he's legally an adult, so his brothers and I have the most say in what's happening," he explained.

I nodded and kept my mouth shut.

"I'm sure they're going to be contacting your parents later today, Carina, so I advise you to talk to them as soon as you can," he said, looking at me patronizingly.

"I will," I told him. "I absolutely hate how things have turned out. I wonder if I could just drop all charges or something."

"I'm sure things are more complicated than that," Greg confessed.

"I just want things between Spencer, Will, and I to go back to how they were before Uncle Sam passed away," I whispered out. "Is that too much to ask for?"

Greg looked at me with sorry eyes.

"They'll get back there, Carina," he said honestly as he held my hands within his. "It's just going to take some time."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

331K 11.9K 31
Cate, broken and hurting, has escaped to Phoenix to live with her father and start anew. Lakebay at one time was her home and safe haven. She lead a...
201K 5.6K 61
"I need you to be the put together one because I'm so fucked up. You've saved me." He whispers. "Carter, we saved each other." I mutter looking at hi...
6K 14 30
On one fateful evening, someone comes and takes away everything in an instant from you. Someone is out for blood against the royal family. The oldest...
BEHIND THEIR MIEN By

Mystery / Thriller

60 21 15
Life takes unexpected turn when a common nurse Natalie and a billionaire Nathan find their paths crossed in unexpected mystery that is set to destroy...