The Fallen Emperor / Hakuyuu...

By Maryposavik

Nerea is the daughter of one of Emperor Hakutoku's advisors. After her mother passed away, she was sent to... More

*Prologue: Night Stories*
*The Imperial Family*
*In Love And War*
*Dragons and Ladders*
*The Fall*
*Hiro and Aiko*
*New Plans*
*Getting Ready*
*The Trip To Reim*
*Over the Sea*

*Bad Omen*

597 28 14
By Maryposavik

I was leaning over the edge of one of the many balconies of the Palace, watching the sunrise, like I have done many times before.

In times of war, I had started to have trouble sleeping. I would wake in the middle of the night and I couldn't go back to sleep. At some point I started to go out of my room and sneak into this place to see the sunrise. From that moment, it was something that had always helped me clear my mind. I loved to just watch the sun going up, feel it's warmth in my face, and let my mind travel to places a had never been, meeting people I didn't know.

It was a childish game, but it made me happy.

"The view is excellent form here, right?"

I recognize that voice. I smile even before turning around.

"Good morning, Hakuyuu."

"Morning, Nerea" He smiles, like h's holding a laugh.

"What are you laughing about?" I frown.

"You didn't bow or call me Prince or any honorific, I like that"

"Well... You have been pretty insistent with that matter" I  chuckle.

What are you doing up so early?" He moves to stand next to me, looking into the horizon like I was doing.

"I  couldn't sleep. I come here a lot actually. How about you?" I turn to look away too.

"I have a lot of work to do. I was on my way to the library when I saw you here"

"You work too much"

"Well, there a lot of things left to be done for this empire" He smiles but sounds a bit sad.

"I  didn't mean... What I meant was, I admire you for that. You'll be an excellent ruler" And I really meant what I say.

Hakuyuu turns to face me, grabbing my hand, which takes me completely by surprise. I look at our hands and back to him.

"You truly believe that? I want to do what's best for this country. I was born for that, and I share the same believes my father has. I want the Kou Empire to be the greatest one of all. But sometimes I'm afraid I may not be capable of doing so. What if I'm not good enough?"

He sighs and looks away, still holding my hand.

I stay perplexed for a moment. I don't think he had ever opened up to me like that. I not sure if he had done it to anyone, maybe only with Hakuren. He must be really worried if he's telling me all this.

Without second thoughts I cup his cheek with one hand, making him face me. His eyes widen but he doesn't move my hand away.

"I'm sure you'll be the best Emperor this country could ask for, And I want to be here by your side to watch you achieve all that you want. That's if you allow me, of course" I say in a sweet voice.

He smiles, resting his own hand over mine. The prince it's about to say something when we hear someone clearing his throat next to us.

"I'm sorry your highness, but your mother is looking for you" A guard from the Palace says and he sure does look uncomfortable.

.

.

.

It's been more than a week since my talk with Hakuyuu. Lately, I have been sneaking out of my room at night, to look for some of the secret tunnels. Some of them have taken me to places I had never met before. I was really exited about my discovery, but I wasn't sure who to trust with the information.

Hakuren was the only one who knew, and he was supposed to be helping me look for them, but he and Hakuyuu had been too busy, going out one expedition after another, and having meeting after meeting. Hakuyuu was still unaware of the existence of the scroll, and I had promised myself I would tell him as soon as I had the chance.

But today, I was worried about another matter.

Just a couple of nights ago I was wandering around the corridors, after finding a path that leaded from the library to one of the dining rooms, when I ran into the youngest prince. Hakuryuu was crying, and looking for his mother, who was probably with his sister. Once I asked him what had happened, he told me he had seen his family die. I felt really sorry for him and I assured him it was just a bad dream. Once he was clam, I carried him back to his room.

That's why today, just when the sun is about to set, I decide to go check on Hakuryuu. I open his bedroom door and he comes running to me.

"Prince Hakuryuu, how are you? Have you been sleeping well?" I smile, looking at him.

"Yes, thank you Onee-san!" He smiles, and wraps his arms around my waist.

Just moments after I had entered the prince's room, Hakuyuu comes in.

"Haku... Nerea, what are you doing here?" He frowns, but soon his gaze softened.

"Onii-san!!" Hakuryuu yells and runs to hug him.

"Hakuyuu. I came to check on prince Hakuryuu. He had a bad dream the other day and was very upset. I found him in the hall and brought him back here"I explain, gazing back at the young prince.

" Yes! And onee-san told me a story!" The boy cheerfully says.

"Oh, really? Well, I remember Nerea was always good at telling stories." He looks back at me, giving me his brightest smile, and I feel my face heat up a little.

"Yes, she is." The kid nods, looking at his brother and back at me.

"I feel like I haven't seen you in ages"  I gaze at the first prince, and my words come out sounding sadder than I'd intended. He looks a bit surprised by my statement.

"It's true. We have been so busy lately..." He murmurs, with a melancholy smile.

We look at each other and there's a brief moment of silence until Hakuryuu pulls his brother's hand.

"What are you doing here onii-san?" He asks, looking at him.

"I came looking for you. Our father wants to see us" The first prince explains to his younger brother, and gives him a light pat on the head.

"Nerea, have you seen Ren?" Hakuyuu asks, looking back at me.

"No, sorry." I shake my head" But I can help you look for him if you want. I may have an idea of where to find him"

"Ok, thank you. Let's go"

The three of us walk down the hall. Hakuryuu smiles, while he holds his big brother's hand. I want to talk to Hakuyuu but I feel like it isn't the right time. He looks busy and tired.

Once we reach the office, Hakuyuu knocks and someone answers us to come in.

Hakuren it's there, as I suspected. He's looking at some scrolls and talking with Koumei, while Kouen tries to read a book. It his office after all.

Both red haired brothers stop what they are doing and look at Hakuyuu.

"Good Evening your Highness" Both of them say, bowing.

Hakuryuu goes into the room, and I follow him. They bow again for the young prince, and greet me. Hakuren smiles when he sees me. Hakuryuu runs to hug him.

"Nice goatee you have there Kouen" I tease, knowing how proud he's about his facial hair.
The dungeon conqueror keeps the same stoic expression he always has, but his cheeks dust the slightest pink. Hakuren laughs, looking at him.

"Ren, what are you doing here? I've been looking for you." Hakuyuu asks, glaring at his brother.

"What it looks like I'm doing?" The second prince cooks an eyebrow, gesturing to the papers in front of him.

"Chatting with Komei and bothering Kouen?" I tease, while Koumei eyes widen and Kouen smirks.

"We have been summoned by the Emperor. Our father wants to see us. The three of us." Hakuyuu said, sternly, grabbing Hakuryuu's hand.

At this hour? It's a bit late don't you think?" Hakuren eyebrows furrow in confusion, glancing at his younger brother.

"I won't question him. He must have his reasons" Hakuyuu says, bluntly, turning around to leave.

"I guess your right. Ok, let's go"Hakuren sighs "We'll talk tomorrow ok? Good night everybody" He smiles, looking at his cousins and me.

Shortly after they leave, Koumei was already saying something about how weak his body was, and how someone should carry him to his room. I run away from there before Kouen would hit his brother in the head.

I go back to my bedroom, but soon I find myself debating if I should go to bed or if I should go out to inspect another of the passages. It has become something of a hobby.

I'm really not that tired, so, finally decide to go back out. The moment I'm leaving the room, I smell something very similar to smoke. I turn to see where it's coming from. Not too far away, I spot the red and orange glow of flames.

It has to be a very big fire if it's looking like that. Is it here, in the Palace? What's going on?

A horrible feeling takes over me, and I feel a cold chill running down my spine.

Without thinking it twice, I run.

..................................................................................................

A/N: I think we all know what's coming... And... I'll just say, I'm sorry in advance.

I wish you all a merry Christmas!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.2K 542 9
So I haven't seen many, or any to be honest, of these so I'll try my best to make it a good story! You are a slave girl originally from the Dark Con...
205K 8.5K 34
~I do not own Magi or any of the characters~ *1st place winner of MagiWA 2017 in Judar category!!* There are only supposed to be three magi per era...
207K 6.3K 34
Trou-vaille /tro͞oˈvī/ noun - something lovely discovered by chance. A girl was just going through her A's and B's. Until one day, she was teleporte...
2.7K 63 18
Meet Sayori Zen the 16 year old Princess who is the step daughter and the youngest princess of Zen Kingdom... Ever since the arrangement between the...