Fantasy Sub-Genre Guide

By Fantasy

The sub-genres of Fantasy More

Introduction
Allegorical Fantasy
Alternate History Fantasy
Alternate World Fantasy
Anthropomorphic Fantasy
Apocalyptic and Dying Earth Fantasy
Arabian Fantasy
Arcanepunk Fantasy
Assassin Fantasy
Bangasian Fantasy
Celtic Fantasy
Classical Fantasy
Colonial Fantasy
Coming of Age
Contemporary Fantasy
Court Intrigue Fantasy
Crossworld Fantasy
Dark Fantasy
Dieselpunk Fantasy
Dragon Fantasy
Dreampunk Fantasy
Environmental Fantasy
Epic Fantasy
Fable Fantasy
Fairytale / Retelling
Fantastic Romance Fantasy
Fantastic Poetry
Fantastique
Futuristic Fantasy
Gaslamp Fantasy
Grimdark Fantasy
Gritty Fantasy
Gunpowder or Flintlock Fantasy
Hard Fantasy
Heroic Fantasy
High Fantasy
Historical Fantasy
Humorous Fantasy
Juvenile Fantasy
Literary Fantasy
Low Fantasy
Magical Realism Fantasy
Mannerpunk or Fantasy of Manners
Media Tie-In
Medieval Fantasy
Mermaid Fantasy
Military Fantasy
Multicultural Fantasy
Mundane Fantasy
Mythic Fantasy
Mythopoeia Fantasy
Paranormal Fantasy
Political Fantasy
Portal Fantasy
Prehistoric Fantasy
Quest Fantasy
Religious and Spiritual
Romantic Fantasy
Science Fantasy
Shenmo
Slipstream
Steampulp Fantasy
Steampunk
Super Hero Fantasy
Swashbuckling Fantasy
Sword and Planet
Sword and Sandal
Sword and Sorcery
Sword and Soul
Urban Fantasy
Vampire Fantasy
Weird Fiction / New Weird
Weird West Fantasy
Werewolf Fantasy
Wuxia Fantasy
Xianxia Fantasy
Xuanhuan Fantasy
Young Adult Fantasy

Arthurian Fantasy

1.5K 31 1
By Fantasy

by FaerieFaye27

Arthurian fantasy is a genre based on a legend or story, rather than a set of themes, as most genres are.

The legend surrounds a 6th Century king with a great destiny and his heroic knights who go on dangerous quests, including the Holy Grail. It's a tale of pure heroism, adventure and battles, with underlying themes of morality, adultery, politics, magic and power. What's not to love?

So, where did the legend actually come from?

We all know there is no smoke without fire when it comes to a legend, but this one is a bit tricky. The earliest reference dates back to the early 9th Century (which was revised until the 11th Century) in a text called the Historia Brittonum said to be the history of the Britons. It refers to a great warrior defeating the Saxons in England and fighting in fifty-six battles. The Annales Cambriae (12th Century, origins possibly from 10th Century) refers to two battles in which Arthur fought, one of which details his defeat and death by Mordred.

Much of the historical accuracy of these texts is very much contested, but these were the sparks that ignited the rest of the stories throughout classical and contemporary literature. Many of the recognisable stories such as the Grail Quest, Guinevere's affair with Lancelot, Morgan's villainous role have been added in later texts, but are no less captivating. It just goes to show how much the earliest references have captured the imagination of generations of writers, all keen to put their interpretations and ideas to paper. And still, it continues, with every generation adding their own ideas and imaginative twists.

Popular texts include:

-Perceval, the Story of the Grail,  Lancelot, the Knight of the Cart - Chrétien de Troyes
-Le Morte d'Arthur (The Death of Arthur) - Thomas Malory
-"The Lady of Shalott" (poem) - Alfred Tennyson
-The Once and Future King -  T. H. White
-The Mists of Avalon -  Marion Zimmer Bradley

The setting for the legend takes place around a place called Camelot. This is the greatest kingdom in England and Arthur's home. Another prevalent location is Avalon, which is a mysterious isle where magic folk would learn their skills, where Excalibur was forged and where Arthur's body was taken after the battle at Camlann. As with the rest of the historical references on this topic, no one knows for sure whether either of these places really existed and if the did, where they may have been exactly. Many believe Camelot would be found somewhere in the south-west of England and Avalon to be in Glastonbury, where the Tor stands.

The characters all follow the greatest of adventure and fantasy genres:

Arthur, the hero, who is tested and goes through many trials with dignity and grace.
Guinevere (Arthur's wife and Queen) is the seductress, ensnaring Sir Lancelot as her lover.
Speaking of, Lancelot is the fallen hero of the story; starting with such promise and ending up down the wrong path.
Morgan (Arthur's half-sister) is the sorceress and villain, who has a remarkable turnaround at the very end.
Mordred, Arthur and Morgan's nephew or son, depending on which variation you read) is the full villain; he wants Arthur's throne and Guinevere to and will wage war to succeed in this.
Merlin, the wise old man (and wizard, of course) who is loyal to our hero.

If you haven't been able to tell by the above enthusiasm, I have a lot of love for this fantasy sub-genre! I've always loved mythology, legends and the like, but this one has always stood out for me. Especially as this is one of the biggest tales from my home country. The magic and mystery, the adventure and the romances - all of these captured my imagination from a young age.

I find it an interesting genre to write within, as it revolves around set characters and story lines, so there are quite a few restrictions to consider. It's such a well-known legend that I feel there are certain audience expectations when reading fiction surrounding it. I know I like to match what I'm reading (or watching on TV even) with "historical" events that might have happened, to have some continuity with the past. The lack of historical fact and the multitude of variants of the same story allows a uniqueness to this genre. There is still a lot of scope to add to the story, to the characters especially.

I find myself wondering how things would have been if everything ever written on the topic was true. What might have Arthur really been like, as well as the rest of the well-known characters? If he did exist, who was this hero really? Was Guinevere really a serial adulteress or merely conflicted between two loves and lost her way? Was Mordred a villain from the get-go, or did something happen to encourage such wrath? I think the fact we will never know just fires something within me that I want to explore. I want to get to know the characters in their times and delve into how they may have felt, dealt with certain situations and interacted with others.

Example of Arthurian Fantasy on Wattpad:
Guinevere by FaerieFaye27

Synopsis: 

A story about one of the most famous female characters in history; Guinevere.

This is a tale through the eyes of this young girl, destined to be the bride of the great King Arthur. An alliance with Camelot propels her unexpectedly into a life she could barely have dreamed of. Guinevere always knew that one day she would need to fulfil her responsibilities as heir of Cameliard, but never with such a legendary man as Arthur.

Her resolve and dedication to her calling is also tested when she meets handsome knight and Arthur's commander, Sir Lancelot. Will she lose herself to this knight before her journey can even begin, or will her resolve and sense of duty win out?

Excerpt:

The storm is almost overhead now; bright lightning is flashing all around us and the noise of the thunder is deafening. I should be fearful as at any moment we could be struck and killed out here in the open, but I'm actually full of daring and excitement. It is exhilarating and I cannot help but laugh. I look across at Lancelot who is smiling too, obviously enjoying this as much as I was. The sadness and frustration were all but forgotten, replaced by the thrill of riding through such dangerous condition. By the time we get close to the city, it is as if night has descended. The gates are opened and we fly through them, speeding up towards the stables. We arrive there quickly and as we do, skid to a stop on the stone floor, both our horses steaming from the exertion, snorting and braying as they regain their breath.

I jump down from Ivor and fetch some blankets from a wooden chest at the back of the room, dripping water across the floor all the while. Our clothes and cloaks were wet through. I toss one of the blankets to Lancelot who throws it around his shoulders then walks towards me, takes mine and wraps it around my own shivering ones.

"You're freezing! Come here..." he opens his arms and his blanket, embracing me in both before I can say a word.

His body is so warm and I hold him tightly to me, absorbing all the heat I can. I rest my head against his chest, listening to the steady beat of his heart through his wet tunic; everything about the man I'm holding is so strong. It's not long before I stop shivering, but I I don't want to leave his arms. Closing my eyes, I never want this moment to end. After a moment, I feel Lancelot's arms tighten around me a little, then a hand embraces and strokes my face. Despite his prowess as a warrior and his build, he is incredibly gentle; I could be mistaken for thinking his fingers are feathers on my face. Neither of us speaks, maybe for fear that if we do, this moment will be lost forever. But I don't mind the silence, I just care about being close to Lancelot; my knight. Nothing else mattered.

After what feels like an eternity, his arms slowly release me and his hand reaches up and uses the blanket to dab my face dry. Then he pulls some rogue wet strands of hair from my face. The lightning shines through the stables, catching his facial features in the most ethereal way and his eyes glow that wonderful blue. He notices that I am looking into them, pauses for a moment a small smile forming at his mouth before he carries on. Once he is satisfied I'm dry enough, he pulls me close and kisses me on my forehead gently, the warmth of his lips burns into my skin and warms me further. He wraps me back up in my blanket then goes to tend to the horses, taking off their saddles and reins, then draping a blanket over each of their backs. I cannot take my eyes from him.

Inspirations:

Setting

Source

Characters

Source

Source

Source

Music

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.4K 201 17
In this latest @Ooorah anthology, we team up with Wattpad's own @WattpadPunkFiction. Inspired by a round theme from our Wattpad-famous SmackDowns, sc...
64 10 20
Short stories on a variety of unrelated topics.
615 77 5
My second collection of short stories, but longer than the works in my Read my Shorts collection. This volume consists of anything more than 1000 wor...