The Sheikh's Fantasy Girl - C...

By JanVanEngen

Andie May can't believe when her agent calls and tells her, her best selling book has been picked up to be ma... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty - Six
Chapter Twenty Seven

Chapter Twenty-Five

9.6K 468 11
By JanVanEngen

Zahir leaned back in his chair, waving him down. "Calm down, she came to me."

Shihab frowned, confused. "Why? Oh, she doesn't want you to pay a cent to that woman."

Saleema smiled, kissing her husband's cheek. "I'd leave this one to you," then went to Shihab, and squeezed his arm. "You are in good hands, she loves you so much." His expression softened. "So don't be angry with her for protecting and fighting for you."

"Never would, she is my wife."

"Yes," Saleema smiled, sharing a special look. They were best friends and connected. Then he faced his brother, who rolled closer to his desk as Saleema departed.

"You have a special woman there in Andrea. Sit down," Zahir waved Shihab down into a seat. He took the seat in front of the desk.

"What did she do?" He asked.

"I can't tell you." Shihab's eyes widened. "Because she asked me not to. However, it has nothing to do with our biggest problem. No matter what happens, you can keep your production company, even if exposed that you would have to wear on your own."

Shihab frowned. "You made it very clear it couldn't mix."

"Well, I was wrong. It was a part of our mother, so why should we deny her? However, I want one to have nothing to do with the other."

"Of course," he nodded. So she had come here on his behalf, not over Carla, and couldn't say a word. It seemed his wife had been a busy little beaver. Something he would have to get used by the looks of things.

He couldn't help feeling proud of her.  

****

Gripping the rails of the balcony high above the pool area, where Andrea was settled under shading, seated at a table, elbow on top, chin in a cupped hand, staring across the courtyard, lost in her world again. 

Yet, his eyes narrowing in, he spotted no pad nearby or computer. She hadn't written any words in days that concerned him. She lived and breathed writing. He had hoped she had gotten over Carla. 

Perhaps it was time to go back to London. She seemed more settled there.

He had hoped to spend more time here, but if it didn't make her happy, he had no other choice. Suddenly she stood, removed her overall, and wore her one piece. Instantly he reacted, shifting uncomfortably. 

She did it to him every time and watched as she walked to the edge of the pool, diving into the gleaming blue waters with grace and moving through the waters with ease. She had been very quiet over breakfast, playing with the food that she normally consumed down with appetite. Also had been on the quiet side towards him.

This doubting herself had to stop, but he wasn't getting through. He had thought he had, but now not so sure. He needed to take her away, just them. They never really had that honeymoon. The wedding, finish filming, then called here. There hadn't been any time.

"What are you doing here brother?" His brother asked, joining him. "Ah, I see," he smiled as his gaze lowered towards the pool.

Straightening Shihab turned, crossed his arms and leaned back against the balcony rail. "What do you want?"

"The test came back positive."

He nodded. "I gathered it would, either by accident or planned, she had to be to play this game. She would have known we would have checked."

"We can do a DNA test as well; however, there are risks to the unborn child."

Shihab shook his head. "We will wait it out. So what does she want?" He was letting his brother deal with it. They both agreed on it. Hashim's back in London.

"Money, of course, however, not seeing a cent until we have proof that it is indeed your baby," Shihab grunted, because that would never happen, no matter how many times she had tried to get into his bed in the past, yet not this time around.

"And if it is Hashim? I wouldn't put it past her to just sleep with him to get pregnant."

"Then we will deal with it."

"As long as there is no marriage. I don't want Hashim paying for this for the rest of his life, not over someone like her," he looked back down over his shoulder, watching Andrea pull herself out of the pool, grab a towel and began drying herself, only to stiffen as another approached her. "I have to go."

His brother glanced down. "Let it be. Saleema will sort it out."

Shihab eyed him closely. "What do you mean about that?"

"Nothing, it's just they get on so well."

Shihab nodded, oversensitive to his wife's mood. "If we are done here, I'm taking her away for a while."

"Yes, we are done for now."

"And Carla?"

"All her needs are seen to, in Europe,  under a bodyguard, so she can't slip back into London, and signed a non-disclosure document."

"How much did that cost us?"

"A million." 

Shihab shook his head; he didn't want to see her getting a cent. 

Andrea won't be happy, glancing down to see the women settled at the table, deep in conversation. He watched her expression. She looked briefly up, and smiled, reaching out to squeeze Saleema's arm. Not quite protocol, but showing him all was alright. Saleema looked up at them on the balcony and inclined her head. 

Another good sign.

Relieved, he turned back to his brother, who was watching his wife. They were perfect for each other. Saleema would never be comfortable in his life. Andrea fits in perfectly with it. Thankfully, she was the love of his life.

On a mission, Andie rushed back to their apartment as fast as one could, without actually running through the long weaving corridors, and different levels, mind whirling that she nearly collided with Shihab, who steady her with his hands. 

"Always in a hurry," he stated.

"Not my fault this place is so big and so spread out and...."

"And you're busting to get writing. I can see it in your eyes."

She nodded. "I was struggling, but Saleema was a great help."

"I am glad," he placed his lips on her forehead. "Once done, I want you to pack, we are leaving."

She pulled back, face falling. "We are? Why?"

Tenderly his fingers lingered on her cheek, eyes warm. "Because I am going to take my wife away, just the two of us."

Her lips curled, eyes gleaming. "You mean the honeymoon, we never had," she laughed kissing his cheek. "I thought I was living it every day with you."

"Do you mean that, Andrea love?"

"Yes," she breathed. "I do," her heart soared.

Shihab cleared his schedule, and they sailed on the family yacht along the coast of Spain and France, stopping at many ports to explore different places along the way, however, always slept on the yacht. 

Quite often dined onboard, having their staff, and chef. 

Many a night under the moonlit skies they danced on the deck, Andie's dancing improved, although there was a lot of swaying involved. They even slept on the mattress under the stars, under the covers this time, hidden from prying eyes.

While away the cat was being chipped and prepared for shipping to London. After six months, he can be moved, and not go into quarantine. As Andie pointed out, he had no one to look after him when they went back to London. 

In London, they had Sebastian to see the cat, when they were in the Middle East.

Then it was back in London, back to work and finishing off her book. Shihab brought his work back home, so wasn't away as much, only going in for meetings. Andie always worked at his side on those occasions. Being away with Shihab had cleared her mind, and things have been niggling her. 

She looked across at Shihab thoughtfully.

"How did she know who you were?" Andie asked, easing back from her laptop.

Shihab glanced across from his laptop, thoughtful. "What do you mean?"

"You kept your secret identity from everyone, yet she found out. Perhaps she already knew. What if she searched you out on purpose?"

"Of course she did. It's called greed. A real little gold digger." His eyes flicked from the laptop to Andie, though preoccupied with his work.

Andie shook her head. "No, it's more than that. Let's go back to the beginning. Why did you bring her to the resort?"

He moaned, eyeing his wife off. "I don't want to go back to the worst time of my life, beloved."

She smiled. "I'm not going to lose it again," she promised.

Sighing, he raked a hand through his hair, leaning back into his seat. "Why are you doing this?"

"I am trying to see where she is coming from. Why would she go after me? The more I think about the cards and the power cord; it's all a bit strange. What were the chances of Kathie getting rid of it, and being spotted by Carla?" 

She reached for her handbag, removed a pen and pad, and started writing down names. Intrigued, Shihab closed down the computer, stood, and crossed over, joining her on the sofa, placing his arm on the back of the sofa behind her. 

Cat free for once. He was going to enjoy this while it lasted.

"What is this?" He tapped the pad.

"A list of people we dealt with. How did all this start? How did you meet her?"

"Through the business, after all, she is an actor, recommended by a friend," he frowned, "I think. You meet so many different people in different ways. I don't know, just one day she had been there. She tried it on a few times, but I knew something wasn't quite right with her, and had to get her out of my life."

"Well, that worked out so well," she teased.

Tenderly he ran his fingers through her hair, "I'm so glad to see you so relaxed over this." She looked up at him, then reached up and caressed the side of his beloved face. She had given him such a hard time over the blond. She leaned up to kiss him.

"That will teach you not to keep secrets from me."

"Yes, well, you weren't talking to me at the time, or in the mood to listen to anything I have to say," he reminded her.

She eyed him closely. "Would you have told me at the time?" She challenged.

Sighing, he shook his head. "I couldn't at the time, not the entire thing, because you had no idea who I was."

"Ah, yes, the prince and all," she stated, going back to her list of names.

"So we are turning into Miss Marple?"

"No, plotting a story," she rolled her eyes. "Anyway, I'm married," she waved her hand at him.

"Thank god," he slid his hand over her belly.

"Miss Marple wasn't, hence the Miss."

"So why are you plotting? You're not thinking of turning this into a story?"

She waved that away with her hand. "If you want to be helpful, how about refreshments?

"How about I go back to work before I am hunted down by my brother? He is rather demanding."

"Phooey! I'm sure he would rather we solve this issue of Carla Langley," she looked up at him seriously. "None of this settles right with me. Now the dust has settled down, there are too many unanswered questions. Like who is the father? Why did she close down my accounts? Why cut up my cord? It all seems a bit extreme."

Shihab leaned in closer and kissed her cheek. "Who knows how that woman's mind worked? She couldn't get her claws into me, so went after my brother."

"Ah, yes, I have been looking into those so-called articles. I don't know, it all looked staged. Have you ever asked Hashim, if he was seeing the woman?"

"He did bring her onto the yacht."

She looked at him stunned. "He did? Oh, that woman," she frowned, barely remembering.

"Oh, great, you didn't see her with my brother, when we were standing there, greeting them. Then it's like world war three."

She leaned back against him. "You should be happy about that."

"Um, no, not when I don't have you in my arms."

"That won't happen again," she vowed. "However, you are a distraction. Can you ring Hashim for me?"

He eyed her warily. "What for? He has a bit of a soft spot for you."

"As you do for Saleema," she reminded him, feeling nothing, knowing he care for her deeply, however, he loved her. She had no doubts about that.

 Defeated, he raised his hand, while reaching for his phone

"Hashim? Your sister-in-law wants to talk to you."

Andie jaw dropped, though took the phone, giving Shihab a warning glare. "Hello, Hashim. I just need to know something. Did you ask Carla to join you on the yacht in Dubai?"

There was a pause. "No. She was hanging around, hesitating to go on, being a woman on her own. Her date dropped out at the last minute, ringing her when she got here. A woman alone really wasn't encouraged. So offered to take her abroad."

Her eyes lit up with interest. She had played them all. "And the photos in the papers?" She hummed, then handed the phone back to Shihab, who spoke to his brother, frowning, hanging up thoughtfully.

"How did you know?"

"Because he seemed more interested in me than his date. Actually, come to think about it, I didn't see much of her at all that night. What if she had been going through my stuff on the yacht, not at the resort?" He shook his head.

"Believe me, my love, no one could go near our rooms. There were guards everywhere."

"Not just crew then?" Her eyes widened. "That is why you stiffened, not because of your brother, but because of her."

"Actually, not quite true," he tugged at his ear, eyes cagey.

"You mean not to give away your secret?"

"He wouldn't have told you."

"Okay, okay, so he wasn't dating her. Had nothing to do with her, so he can't be the father either. Why didn't you just ask him straight out?"

"I was trying to protect him. I have seen many men fall under her spell, and she just bleeds them dry. Hashim is young and protected from the real world. I learnt a lot through the movie business, how it can be."

"She played you Shihab, knowing what he meant to you," she pointed out.

"Like she played you," soberly she nodded. So easily.

"Ah, but you should have known better."

"I was distracted," he guided her back into him and kissed her, long and leisurely, enjoying what was on offer. "I don't want to think about her."

"Maybe," she sighed against his lips. "But we need to sort this out."

"Okay, let's look at your list." He picked it up, keeping her at his side. "Miles?" He asked, astonished.

"All people involved working on the movie set. Not saying he was involved with her." She searched him out. "No one, not even Miles knew who you were, not even with your mother's involvement?"

"She went back to using her actor's name."

"Which was?" To be told and written off to the side. "What if this has something to do with your mother? What if it's about her coming back after being away." Shihab eyed her closely. "What?"

"I think it's the writer in you. Have you always been suspicious, or thinking outside the box? It could be also, just what it was, Carla wanted you off the scene, and get her claws into our wealth."

"Who wasn't involved with Hashim? She just made sure she was hanging around and was snapped with him. Probably contacted the papers herself. I wouldn't put anything past that woman." Shaking her head. "I just feel there has to be more to this. It's not like you were involved with her," she stated, didn't question. 

He had told her and she believed him.

He tapped the pad at Levi. "What about him? He did try to cause issues between us as well."

"Not sure about him, my feeling not."

"My feeling is yes," she added his name with a comment suss by DH. "DH, what does that mean?"

She laughed. "Dearest husband. Now there is Kathie, not so sure about her side of things."

"You don't believe her?" He asked surprised.

"The cord? Did she really leave near the big bins as she said? I'm not so sure about that. My head was all over the place at the time. Could she have taken it from the tent? Then again, surely I would have missed it. I did spend a lot of time out on my balcony. It's the only way she could have gotten my cord, unless," she looked up at the man who was watching her with interest. "Just how easy is it to get a spare key?"

"Not that easy," she arched a brow. "Beloved, you know I was your sponsor."

"I thought the resort would have been," she couldn't resist.

"No, you were under my care," he added full of meaning.

"I see you made sure of it. So only you or I could use the spare key."

"And management under extreme emergencies, or ordered by the police, or the government. Of course, the cleaners."

"Someone couldn't be bribed or something?" She still blushed.

"You mean sexual favours. Not saying it can't happen, but one is risking their jobs, even prison. Security checks are tough. They can't afford to have any form of scandal. Don't see it myself."

"But it could happen?" She quickly added off to the side, someone in her room when not there. "Back to Kathie, what if she had given the cord to someone else or did it herself." She tapped the pen against her pad. "I think we need to do a full background check on everyone who had been on set and let's see if anyone had a past connection to Carla."

"They probably all have. It's a very connected business."

"But you are a small business."

"True, however, they do work for other companies, directors, actors."

She nodded. "Could we see if there is any family relationship or a personal one? Is Carla her real name, if not, what is it? We need to know all these things. I have a feeling this is more personal than just wanting money."

"She was very eager to get her hands on our money," Shihab pointed out.

"I'm not saying she's not interested in money, I just think there is more to this. It's not like she was a scorned lover or anything."

"Once we have DNA proof it won't matter."

"Six months away. She could do a lot of damage by then. Speculation. What if she is out to tarnish your family name? She did walk away without too much fuss, and then back, saying with she was pregnant with your baby, the cow."

He gathered her against him. "You are better than her."

"No, I'm not. I wouldn't have given her a cent, put her away somewhere, until the baby's born, then kick her out of the country on her skinny white butt."

He kissed the top of her head. "Let me check into this for you. Let it go, Andrea."

She looked up at him. "I want answers. Real answers, who cut my cord, who cancelled my cards? Yes, we can guess, most likely, but I want to know for sure."

"Then we better go to the source."

Her eyes widened. "You mean her? Do you really think she would tell the truth if you ask her?"

"If she wants her money she will. However, I need to talk to my brother first."

"You mean we are heading back?" She asked.

"Just a quick fly-in," he promised.

The next day they were gone. 

The first thing she did was find her cat which was being looked after by a staff member. There were lots of cuddles, walking off with him, joining her husband and his brother. Zahir wanted more proof before they went down that track. 

Andrea wasn't happy, but Shihab promised he would look deeper into the background of his movie people. After the meeting, they headed back to their apartment, letting Sir Lancelot race off. 

Seeing how upset Andie was, Shihab remembered something she had said about his mother.

Shihab came back with a large box and placed it down at Andie's side. "Here are some of Mother's belonging from her old life, before she met Father. There should be some old film footage as well."

"Oh really, how wonderful." 

Opening the lid, she started pulling things out of the box. She gently removed photos of his mother. She was so beautiful. Hair, rivers of sunset, eyes so big, and just like Shihab's, smile warm and inviting. 

"No wonder your father fell in love with her. She just shines. I guess that is why the camera loved her as well." One by one, she brought out the old photos, losing herself in the images, trying to imagine what it was like to live back then. The excitement, the glamour. Shihab joined her, and she snuggled up against him as they went over his mother's memories.

He reached into the box. It had been so long since he has looked over his mother's personal items. There were a lot of old photos of his mother from her movie days. She could have been a star, if she had kept up with it, instead of marrying his father.

He also knew she loved his father deeply and there had been no other choice for her. 

Glancing at Andrea, who was losing herself over the photos, features soft, and mellow, fingering them gently. He understood that kind of love. She looked up at him, eyes filled with wonder. There was always wonder in her eyes, about life itself. 

One of the things he loved about her, and hopes she never, ever loses it.

She handed over a photo of two women. He glanced down, and took from her offered hand, flipping over and back again. He had forgotten about her, tapping against his nails. 

"I remember, after father died, mother had been with my production company for a while, she wanted to get in contact with an old friend of hers, only to find out she had died years ago. She had been so upset at the time. I think it was this woman. Norma Stephens."

"And who does she remind you of?" Andie asked.

Frowning, he looked closer at the woman. His eyes widened in disbelief. "Carla Langley," he breathed.

"Exactly," she said with triumph. "There is your connection. Her mother would've known of your royal background." He stared at her amazed.

"We don't know if what you speculated, is fact, and this could be just coincidence."

She crossed her arms and glared at him. "Right? Really? She made a target of you, knowing of your royal background. Far too many for me. Be honest with yourself. What are the chances of her being the daughter of your mother's best friend? Maybe she might have been envious of your mother's happiness and seeking revenge."

"Carla?"

"No, her," she pointed at the woman in the photo beside his mother. "Just do a full background check of Carla, you have the money and resources."

"Beloved, I do love your imagination, really I do, but don't you think it's a bit over the top? Why would she do that? She got what she wanted, money."

"If she really after your money, wouldn't she have been nicer, instead of throwing your laptop into the pool? Thankfully I caught it," she noted smugly. His arms tightened around her, having her up against his side.

"I know terrible things happened to you, but we still don't know for certain it was her, no proof. You are safe here with me." Thoughtfully she snuggled in, gathering his robe with her fingers. He reached in and removed a bundle of letters tied up with a blue ribbon. Frowning, he looked down at them. "I had forgotten about these. Mother was so heartbroken about them." He flicked through them. "Maybe you're right," he admitted softly

She looked up at him. "What are they?" She asked, touching the letters gently.

"These are letters to Norma. She sent them back unopened. That is not a reaction of a woman, who was happy and contented with my mother's choices. That is of an angry, resentful one. Mother must have been heartbroken," he frowned. "She said she had to find her best friend, begged me to find her to put something right."

"What if she had passed on her bitterness to her daughter?" He handed the letters to her. She removed one, not to open, but to look over. The back of the letter was sealed, not even tampered with. Received, and send back to the sender. "Why would she throw the laptop in a fit of temper, when you weren't even involved? She wasn't involved with Hashim. So, wasn't that over the top? Everything she did was over the top." She frowned. "She wanted me out of the scene. Did she even try it on with you?" She looked up thoughtfully.

He was deep in thought as well. "She tried it on at first I made it very clear it wasn't going to happen. Not this time around, only wore those outrageous clothes." He glanced at her briefly. "Probably to get a reaction."

"So why did she say she thought you were an item? Why was she in your room answering the phone, while you were in the shower? She did everything to drive a wedge between us," she stated softly and she had fallen for it so easily. 

Never ever again. She trusted him with her life he had proven over and over again, and had grown in confidence.

Shihab read all her writings before she began editing. He loved her rawness. Her newest book with publishers, cover approved, dedicated to him. He had no idea. That was her surprise for him, when she got her author's copies, and he was getting the first copy off print. 

The second one is to Saleema, another devoted fan. She had nearly fallen off her seat when Saleem told her; she had introduced Shihab to her books. Read one and devoured the rest. Strangers in the Desert had been his first book and had read it many times. 

Miles had sent them a full production of the film for their private viewing. They hadn't watched it, wanting to wait for the premiere.

She searched out Shihab with her eyes. 

Perhaps he was concerned, she was making up a story to suit what she wanted. 

Carla's guilty. She knew deep down, but as Shihab had said, no proof. Nestling back against him, she fingered his robe again, his fingers raking through her hair, stimulating her scalp, closing her eyes, her temple began to throb, eyes squeezed tight. 

There were far too many questions and no answers.

"Do not fret, my love. I will look into it. I have already had a check done, after our first talk."

Her eyes popped open and looked up at him. "Really," she asked. "You did that?"

"Habibti, you have the most curious mind. You ask questions no one else would. You quirked my mind and had to look into the situation. Full background checks on the main characters." She smiled, 'characters', he was beginning to think like her.

"Main characters?" She asked, trying to keep a straight face. "Are you trying to take over my job?" She teased, eyes twinkling, the throbbing easing.

"No, just listening to your brilliant mind. It's very logical and realistic that is why your stories feel so real."

"Called research. I love the films of Arabia. Arabian Nights. The romance of it. Strong, bold men against the elements. Not just men but also the women who stood at their side, and children. Man against the elements that were volatile, yet so beautiful that won't be controlled by human nature that can be truly ugly, without warning, without merit. Good against evil. Don't worry about the others. It's about Carla, we need to know everything about her childhood. Who was she before she became Carla Langley? Who was she? Actors just play a part. Became the part, but who was the person behind the actress? Find that out and I think we find out our answers," she advised softly.

She truly believed that.

Shihab had more meetings with his brother.

It was agreed upon. 

However, a few things had to be put into place, leaving the palace and heading back to London. Shihab disappeared for hours, leaving behind a frustrated Andie. Every time she pushed for answers, he told her it would be fine, and would explain at a later date. 

However,  Andie did receive a parcel from Zahir with a note. She smiled and placed it in her handbag, something that could come in very handy.

Then he came back only a couple of hours away and told her to pack. They were heading to Spain, where Carla was located, staying in one of their villas under surveillance.

"You're taking me?" She asked, surprised.

"As if I would leave you behind," he scoffed.

They flew out, not just themselves, but with a group of men. She looked them over then her husband, arching a brow. He leaned in and kissed her cheek. She sighed.

"Yes, I know, you will inform me later, after the facts."

"Exactly," he smiled at her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.9K 495 63
"YOU ARE MINE , LIKE IT OR NOT." Mr. Maximilian is the type of guy who does not take a "no" for an answer lightly. His anger issues are worse compar...
87K 4.3K 21
"I thought I told you to stop telling me what to do." I whispered meekly. "I thought I told you that I wanted you here, with me. I want your happines...
319 46 27
A journey of 22 years old aaliyah khan as she skipped many hurdles in her life and through the process learned and lost too many things which made he...
24.4K 262 8
"I will not listen to any more of your insolent behaviour boy. You brought this on yourself. You marked this young woman and now you must take her as...