The Best Mistake | A Draco Ma...

By sab_stories

After the events of the recent wizarding war, Serena Collins had one goal in mind coming back for her final y... More

Prologue
01 - The Meeting
02 - The Deal
03 - The Origins
04 - The Escape
05 - The Patronus
07 - The Aftermath
08 - The Glare
09 - The Box
10 - The Burn Out
11 - The Advice
12 - The Glow
13 - The Chill
14 - The Moonlight
15 - The Reply
16 - The Visit
17 - The Past
18 - The Dinner
19 - The Prince of Slytherin
20 - The Platinum Trio
21 - The Letter
22 - The Confrontation
23 - The Common Room
24 - The Three Broomsticks
25 - The Ticket
26 - The Dilemma
27 - The Question
28 - The Valentine's Date
29 - The Miscommunication
30 - The Dinner Party
31 - The Field
32 - The Rumour
33 - The Truth
34 - The Plan
35 - The Dress
36 - The Broken
37 - The Talk
38 - The Time
39 - The Trial
40 - The Malfoy Manor
41 - The Family Meeting
42 - The Best Mistake
Acknowledgement

06 - The Reason

1.6K 42 27
By sab_stories

Draco slowly opened his eyes and momentarily forgot where he was. He realised that last night was one of the best sleep he has ever had; it was dreamless, and he felt very refreshed. He looked at the clock to see it was 8:45 in the morning. He went down and was greeted by the delicious smell of freshly cooked pancakes.

He arrived at the kitchen but was surprised to see only Claire Collins. "Good morning Mrs. Collins, is Serena not up yet?"

Claire turned around from her cooking, "Oh good morning Draco! Serena has never been an early riser so expect to see her later on, in the meantime why don't you eat some breakfast. I hope you like pancakes"

"Who doesn't?" Replied Draco as he served himself a plate. He took a bite of it and it tasted delicious. He thought that although magic food tastes great as well, there was something exquisite about the taste of food when it was prepared the muggle way.

"Draco, I do apologize but I'm running a bit late for work. Is it alright with you if I go on ahead? And when Serena wakes up tell her, her pancakes are still in the pan"

"Of course Mrs. Collins, thank you for the delicious breakfast"

"You're welcome. See you later dear" Claire took her keys and went out and for a moment Draco wondered if this is what it was like to live with a normal family, with normal parents.

3 servings of pancakes later, Serena was finally up. She entered the kitchen with her hair looking like a bird's nest, her eyes only half open and her feet were dragging. He wondered if she really was awake or simply sleepwalking. She took a glass, then dragged her way to the fridge to pour herself some milk. She was completely oblivious to Draco's presence, and while Draco was widely amused by what he was seeing it was time to fully wake her up. "Nice pjs you got there Collins"

Serena jumped, spilling a bit of milk out her glass. She turned around to see Draco and it was obvious by the way she looked surprised that she forgot he was there.

"M-Malfoy, you're up already"

"Yes, I am" Draco was trying to contain his laughter ever since he saw her in her pjs. The design of it was for children and not for an 18-year-old girl. It was white and was covered all over with an orange dinosaur-lizard looking creature on it with flames on its tail.

"If you're trying not to laugh you're doing a horrible job" Serena crossed her arms

Unable to hold it in, he finally let out his laughter. "What in Merlin's beard are you wearing? You look like you're 8!"

"Mind you Malfoy that wearing character pyjamas are not uncommon in muggles. Although to be fair, I did have this as a child but I still fit in it and I like it so-- wait I don't have to explain myself to you!"

"So those orange things on your pyjamas are supposed to be famous?"

"Well yes! Its name is Charmander from a show called Pokemon, it's a Japanese show"

"A Pokemon? What is that?"

"You know what nevermind. I'll go change into something more 'normal' as you're clearly still not over your amusement" Serena stomped out the kitchen feeling slightly irritated.

Minutes later, Serena appeared once again wearing a loose shirt and shorts, when Draco saw her he quickly looked away. "Uh, Collins..."

"What is it this time Malfoy?" Serena replied while getting her share of pancakes and took her seat across from Draco.

"What are you wearing? You're barely naked below the waist"

Serena just laughed, "I didn't know you were such a conservative Malfoy! And these are shorts! Also, these aren't even really that short their in decent length. You've never seen anyone wear this before?"

"No of course not!"

"Huh, I guess it makes sense since this sort of fashion isn't really popular amongst wizard and witches but they are really popular amongst muggles though"

"Didn't know muggles had little decency"

"Okay, that's too much. Their just legs Malfoy, and like I said this length is decent enough" Serena looked down to check since she did feel a bit conscious now that Draco mentioned it. She knew that she had long slender legs that would sometimes make shorts or dresses look even shorter than they originally are but she was sure her shorts weren't too short, just 3 or 4 inches above the knee maybe.

"What do you think we should do today?" Serena asked, deciding to change the subject.

"I don't know, what do you suggest? I haven't really been into the muggle world yet"

Serena dropped her fork. "What?! This is your first time being here?!"

"Yes. Think about it, why would I even go here? Especially when my family despises muggles"

"You have a point. Well then looks like we have a full day ahead of us"

Serena toured Draco around her little city and Draco was completely amazed by the muggle life. And he had to admit to himself that he was quite enjoying his tour, but he had a feeling that the tour guide has something to do with that.

Their final stop was a place called a 'carnival' and Draco could see how Serena loved being here, her eyes were so bright, along with her smile. "Try this! Come here" Serena dragged him to a shooting booth. "Okay, so what you do is you hold this, like this and try to aim at one of those balloons" she showed him how to hold a very intriguing and intimidating looking thing.

"And what is this?" Draco asked

"It's a toy gun. The real version of this is what muggles use instead of wands for self-defence or for uh... Attacking others"

"Attacking?"

"Um hurting, or killing..."

"Ah" Draco then took the toy gun and it felt really weird. He aimed for the balloons but to his dismay, did not hit even once. He grunted to himself.

"Look at this, the great Draco Malfoy actually sucks at something" Serena teased but Draco wasn't amused.

He tried again but was still disappointed he didn't hit any. Serena was now laughing at him. "Okay Collins, one last try and if I hit at least one, you're going to have to do my homework for a week"

"Go for it" Serena challenged him.

He took his time and shot at the balloons. Out of 15, he hit 6. Draco raised both his arms, proud of his achievement. "Yes!" The person in charge of the game then gave him a small elephant keychain. "What's this?" Draco asked him, "your prize of course" he replied back.

"Congratulations, you won a prize," said Serena

"Here, you have it. I don't see the point of me keeping it" Draco handed her the keychain.

"You could keep that as a memento, proof that you actually know how to aim and shoot"

"Are you condescending me, Collins?"

Serena simply shrugged but her eyes were teasing.

"I'd like to see you better then" Draco challenged.

"Okay," Serena took the toy gun and aimed, but only hit 2. Draco smirked at her.

"Let me try again, and this time if I hit more than half then I won't do your homework. Your deal earlier will be forfeited.... And you'll have to buy me lunch at someplace nice"

"Fine" Draco agreed, sure that she won't shoot more than half by how she played earlier and how she looked even more awkward in holding the toy gun. Serena took in a deep breath and to his surprise, a different version of Serena appeared right before him as she aimed at the balloons. It reminded him of that night in their common room. He didn't even realise she was done when he saw the wall now empty. She had shot all the balloons.

He noticed that he wasn't the only one surprised, as the man in charge was also looking at Serena with the same expression as his.

Serena faced him and smirked the same way she did that night.

"Okay Collins, who the hell are you?!"

She leaned in closer and whispered, "I'm a secret spy"

Draco looked at her with his eyebrow raised, with what she's been showing him and with all the enigma surrounding her, he wouldn't be totally surprised if she was.

"I'm kidding!" She laughed and then she was given a very large elephant stuff toy and Draco felt embarrassed by what he won compared to hers. He also didn't like the feeling of defeat.

"If it makes you feel any better, I've been playing those kinds of games since I was younger. You actually did well for a beginner"

"You sly witch. You acted as if you weren't good the first time"

"Being cunning is a Slytherin trait, a trait in which I'm very proud of" she gave him a sly smile.

They participated in more games and rides. Draco enjoyed the games but not so much in rides. He thought that there were far more thrilling things to ride or to do in the magical world than merely sitting on a contraption. The last ride was a big circle thing called a Ferris wheel. They were both silent, both appreciating the view as they were going up.

When they reached the top they were both in awe by the view. The starry night and the city lights were a beautiful compliment to each other.

"Thank you, Collins. I really had a great time, I don't know when's the last time I truly enjoyed myself"

"You're welcome Malfoy. I'm glad you had fun"

They both looked at each other, smiling. Both of them felt something turn and flip inside their stomachs and both their hearts were pounding much faster. They looked away from each other and looked out the window, both also wondering what was happening.

---------------------------------------------

Instead of apparating back to Serena's home, they decided to walk home so Draco could see the nightlife and the city lights. They talked about anything that came to mind like comparing their childhood, to what their favourite classes are in Hogwarts or what their hobbies were. They never talked about this while in school since he and Blaise would either just tease her or give her tips and advice about Tristan.... Tristan! Serena hasn't thought about him since they got separated. She found it a bit odd how she could even forget about him. She didn't know where he was or what happened to him, she hoped he was safe.

When they arrived, they saw Serena's father already inside. "Honey there's an owl in your room that arrived only minutes earlier. I didn't even dare to approach it seeing it wasn't Pepper" her father had said "where have you two been? You got home late" Philip Collins eyed the two, and although he wasn't really a strict parent, it was the first time Serena brought a male friend home so his papa bear instincts were coming out.

"I showed Draco here around since it's his first time being in our world, sorry we got home late. We kind of lost track of time"

"Hmmmm.. Have you eaten dinner yet?"

"Yes dad we have, we'll go check the letter now okay? It might be from school. Goodnight" Serena went over to her father to kiss him on the cheek while Draco smiled politely and muttered a goodnight to him as well, noticing how Philip was carefully eyeing him. He quickly followed Serena, feeling his stare from behind.

When she entered her room, she didn't recognise the owl. "That's Pansy's owl" she heard him from behind. She took the letter and gave the brown owl a treat and it flew away.

She turned around to see Draco scanning her room. "Malfoy you're not supposed to be here!" She mentally scolded herself for leaving the door open.

Draco ignored her, still observing the room. Her room was small, with white and mint green coloured walls, with posters and pictures on it. Stuffed animals lay on her bed, and there was a study table and a bookcase on the opposite side of her bed. "Nice room," he said, after scanning the area.

"Are you being sarcastic?"

"No really! It's nice" he felt he was invading her very personal space but he was too curious about what her room looked like. "So what does the letter say?" He asked when she was still crossing her arms, looking a bit tense.

She finally relaxed a bit and opened it, Draco nearing her and standing behind her so he could read with her.

**Professor said that it will be safe to go out and return to Hogwarts the day after tomorrow. Turns out they were Death Eaters, who were able to escape just after the war. The ministry's now just making sure no one escaped this time. -B.Z.**

"Well that's stupid," Serena said after reading the letter.

"What is?"

"If I was a Death Eater, I wouldn't even dare coming back. I already escaped, why come back and risk getting captured?"

"Death eaters can be very arrogant and not to mention loyal. They probably just healed themselves and regain their strength, so that they can come back and finish what Voldemort started"

"Stupid"

"Agreed"

There was something Serena wanted to ask Draco but wasn't sure of his reaction. She looked at him and saw that he was thinking as well. "What is it?" She asked

"Collins I-- I--"

They heard footsteps going up the stairs and Serena quickly shut her door. Her father might freak if he saw Draco in her room at this time of night, she also wanted to know what Draco was going to say without disturbances.

"Sorry, go on. It would be dangerous if my father saw you in here. He would think we were up to something" Serena said sheepishly.

"Are we?" Draco teased.

She rolled her eyes "Just get back to what you were going to say Malfoy" She walked over to her bed and gestured for him to sit beside her, which he did.

"Look I just... I just want to apologize"

"For what?"

"For being a prejudiced prick, looking down on muggles and you muggle-borns. I know I've hurt a lot of you for what I said, and I'm sorry"

Serena did not expect this sudden apology from Draco. She could tell he was sincere and regretted everything he did as he looked down. She smiled and placed one hand on his shoulder. "On behalf of all the muggles and muggle-borns, we forgive you. I know you were heavily influenced by your family that's why you acted the way you did but the important thing is you didn't become like them, you turned out to be better"

He looked up to her and smiled a little. "Thank you. I don't know if others would forgive me as easily as you but thank you."

"Can I ask you something?"

"Go ahead"

"What changed you Malfoy? Why the sudden change? You were so different the past few years and now suddenly you're.... This. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I like this better version of yourself and even Zabini has changed though he wasn't as bad as you were.... But what, why, how? "

"It's not only Blaise and I that's changed, even Pansy and Theo. We were raised by a strict family, if other parents were teaching their children about kindness, loving thy neighbour and whatnot, we were taught one thing: the importance of blood supremacy. We purebloods are the greatest and the only wizards and witches that should exist. Half-bloods are tolerable but not as great as we are, blood traitors are a disgrace and muggle-borns shouldn't even exist. I remember when I was about 7 or 8 years old, I found friendship with a muggle-born wizard. He was a couple of years older than I and I met him when he was buying his things from Diagon Alley. We owled each other and told me things about Hogwarts and what to expect. But one day my father saw his letter for me, saying how he missed his family in the muggle world and needless to say, my father punished me for it"

Serena suddenly felt sorrow for the younger Draco.

Draco continued, "Ever since that day, I feared my father. I thought growing up I idolized and respected him but the truth is, I feared him. My friends and I grew up that way. Fear implanted in our hearts. We were like caged animals. To do only what we were told, to be who they expected. I would always look forward going to Hogwarts. When I was with my friends, I get to be myself a bit. But somehow, I feel as if there's an opportunity to degrade or even bully I'll take it, feeling as if my father is watching over my shoulder. Potter and his friends were always the targets. My father hated him so if I do something to him, I feel that he can be proud of me. Isn't that sick?"

Serena shook her head "It's not who you were..."

"Oh yes, it was" he interrupted her "It was me.... Things got worse in our 6th year when I was asked to kill Professor Dumbledore. I thought I would go insane. What most people didn't know is that I felt Professor knew what I was about to do to him. I would sit and torture myself in the astronomy tower when Professor Dumbledore saw me one night. He asked me what was wrong and of course, I couldn't tell him so I acted impolitely and told him to leave. He didn't of course, tried to tell me random stories about anything and it strangely calmed me down. He would visit me again 3 times after, I wouldn't talk to him but he would. I knew he would visit me and I knew I should keep my distance but he gave me comfort. On the last night of our 'talks', he told me: 'There is still good in you Draco, I can see it. In your darkness, find your light and it will lead you out. Be brave Draco and find your light'" Draco paused and lowered his head, remembering the late professor. "When he left I cried for the first time in my life. I was so scared, I knew I couldn't back out. But I had to do it"

"But you didn't do it Malfoy, you didn't"

"But I pointed my wand at him and his face.... His face seemed ready, ready to die, I've never felt so broken inside. And when I saw him die, I felt a part of me died with him as well. I was a mindless zombie after that. Just standing around and doing what my parents, more likely my father, wanted me to do. But I was so confused inside, especially when Potter saved my life."

Unconsciously, Serena reached out and placed her hands on his for comfort. "It must've been so hard for you I can't even imagine what you had to go through"

"Remeber the time when Voldemort asked volunteers to come over to him, and my father called for me?"

Serena only nodded, lightly squeezing his hand.

"I didn't want to go but like the coward I was, I was afraid what my father or what Voldemort would do. I looked over at my mother and her eyes were pleading for me to go, so what else could I do? When Potter stood up and the commotion started, my family and I left. My father was as the same of a coward as I was but I couldn't take it anymore. I was sick and tired, I wanted to go back, to fight against Voldemort and redeem myself. My mother simply smiled and hugged me and told me to be safe, I knew how she lived in fear too she wasn't really a follower of the dark lord. My father, on the other hand, was not happy, he tried to stop me but mother stopped him and I was able to get away."

Serena was now tightly holding Draco's hand and he didn't seem to mind, or maybe he didn't feel it. She knew how hard it was to recall these memories yet here he was telling her everything.

"Thank you for sharing this Malfoy. I really appreciate it. I know some people are still wary of you because of your past but I hope they get to see and know the real you"

"Me too. After the war, I've never felt so free. That's why I wanted to go back to Hogwarts, at least for one year I wanted to be myself, to be who I am. I wanted people to see the real Draco Malfoy. I'm not an angel, Collins and I'm not a good person for what I've done but I'm not evil. I don't want to be. I hope I'm not"

"I know you're not" and to both of their surprise Serena reached out to him to hug him. It was a warm and comforting hug and Draco felt relieved. Relieved because he was forgiven, relieved because someone knows the truth about him, relieved because she accepted him. He didn't know why it meant so much to him, but it did.

When Serena let go of her hug, Draco was looking at her with warmth in his eyes. He leaned in closer and he waited for any signs that Serena was uncomfortable or would back away but she didn't. Her eyes were bright and her lips parted, he leaned in once again kissing her ever so lightly and ever so softly on her lips.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.4K 280 51
Draco & Y/n story. A romance between Draco and Y/n (You). You are a 16 years old just moved from Italy at your old Witch school to start a new life...
13K 495 29
Y/N is a muggle born. All her life she had been taught normal things. But when her Hogwarts letter arrives, she can't help but be giddy with exciteme...
86 0 8
Mia Potter, twin sister of Harry Potter, transfers from Beauxbatons to Hogwarts into her fourth year. The year of the Tri-Wizard tournament. Unexpect...
81K 1.6K 44
{Completed and Editing} You're a muggle-born who had gone to Hogwarts. It was your 4th year there, and you are in the Hufflepuff house & golden trio(...