Calm The Fire

By Inconvenient_Ideal

It is a little known fact that Thorin had come to dislike the race of elves; but perhaps it hasn't always bee... More

01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
48
49
Epilogue.

47

2.5K 96 7
By Inconvenient_Ideal

Tilting her head to the side, Náriel's eyes narrowed slowly yet thoughtfully over the tapestries which hung before her. Sure, they were hanging limply from the great iron racks which suspended them, but even in the torchlight she could see the vivid colours which shone out in the gloom around her. It had slowly become early evening since returning back to the Mountain. As such all torches which were available and hanging were promptly lit. Everywhere was now cast in a warm orange glow, which threw dark shadows flickering over the halls and rooms which surrounded her.

Náriel was also enveloped in the warmth which they gave off, finding herself quite grateful of it really. The evenings were starting to get cooler by the day that go by signalling the oncoming winter. Náriel's eyes narrowed again as she crossed her arms and tapped a finger to her chin. She was currently staring at a painting now. Alongside the tapestries there were a few paintings, she'd shifted down the wall to have a look. The painting had caught her eyes mainly because of the hard focus of the eyes within the picture.

"Is this a stupid question, but who is that?" She asked eventually breaking the silence. She looked over the regal standing, the fair fine somewhat beautifully intricate, yet, sturdy armour, then she moved to the great axe resting on his shoulder. He looked strong, impressive. Leaning back, she raised an eyebrow, she wouldn't want to face him in battle that was for sure. Smiling lightly, she suddenly caught herself. "This is Durin, isn't it?" Náriel smiled and looked to Thorin.

He stood by her side just standing in silence as she took to looking over the pieces of artwork which adorned his home. "It is."

Náriel looked at him and then sent a sidewards glance up at the painting. The helmet which rested upon the dwarf's head, which had seven stars delicately painted gave the hint away. As soon as she saw that it dawned on her. Even she had read of the vision which the forefather of dwarf-kind had had. "It is amazing." Náriel smiled again and looked back to the painting. Narrowing her eyes, she leaned forwards. There was something inscribed at the bottom, like most things it was written in runes, as such Náriel hadn't got the skill of reading runes. She could only just manage Khuzdul, with a hesitant look, she glanced at Thorin.

"It's just saying who he is," he explained. Náriel tilted her head to the side and eyed the inscription up and then him. With a sigh, Thorin shifted forwards and looked over the runes. "This is Durin the Deathless; a great ancestor to all of dwarf-kind."

Náriel nodded slowly, "Through my reading experiences I have only stumbled across him a few times. I'm afraid to say my knowledge isn't that great."

"What do you know of him?" Thorin asked curiously. He couldn't help it. It intrigued him to know that she knew at least something of his ancestors. The only reaction he didn't expect was for her to laugh, he narrowed his eyes at her and shifted his weight from one foot to the other.

"Sorry, just...if I learn about your ancestors, are you seriously telling me you'd want to learn about mine?" Náriel questioned, Thorin looked rather thoughtful over this. "Exactly." She said with a roll of the eyes.

It would be a fair exchange to learn about each others pasts, where they came from, who they descended from. But somehow Náriel could see that this would be partially one sided. The only way to succeed in telling him about her ancestors was to possibly barrage him with information. Though that thought caused her to quietly chuckle, and that caused him to look at her strangely.

"Sorry, right, where were we? Oh! Yes, my lack of knowledge," Náriel said getting back on track. Twiddling her fingers she looked to the painting, "He is the founder of Durin's Folk, and that there is a day called Durin's Day in his honour, which we already know too well. But apart from those little pieces of information, I'm afraid to say I don't know anything else." She hung her head in mock shame only to peek up and grin.

"Would you like a history lesson?" Thorin asked with a smile. There was one thing which he had learned years ago and that was that Náriel seemed to love to learn.

"Oh, personal history lesson from King Thorin? How could I pass this up?" She asked with a laugh only to suffer a blank look to be shot at her. "I would love one, please," she gestured to a nearby bench. These stone benches were darted about within the Mountain, so they walked over and sat down, Náriel shifted and looked at him curiously.

"Durin the Deathless was the eldest of the Seven Fathers who were created by Mahal in the beginning of time. He along with the other dwarves slumbered for a long time until the rising of the elves had taken place. Each of them were the founders of the great houses, or clans of the dwarves." Thorin paused to see Náriel intently listening, she nodded. Smiling, he leaned back against the wall and stretched his legs out. "Do you know the clan names, Náriel?"

"That's cruel...does it look like I would?" Náriel replied.

"You read a lot." Thorin simply countered with a smile.

Náriel looked up at the ceiling and sighed. Sitting in silence for a moment, she nodded and held up her hand. "The Longbeards, the Broadbeams, Firebeards, Ironfists, Stiffbeards, Blacklocks...and...and...the Stonefoots?" She said curiously with an even more curious expression.

Thorin nodded and she smiled. "Durin was the founder of the Longbeards." He explained, he doubted Náriel knew this.

"What happened next?" Náriel asked while managing to tuck her feet underneath herself and turn and look at him.

Thorin smiled, he was happy to see her so engrossed in something. "So, when Durin awoke from his deep slumber he travelled the world until he came upon Mirrormere, or as my kin know it: Kheled-zâram." He raised an eyebrow when Náriel lifted up her hand. "Yes?"

"I know this part." She seemed to take a small amount of pride in saying this.

"You can tell this part of history then." Thorin shifted and leaned more against the wall, turning his head, he looked to her.

"So, it is known amongst your kin that when Durin looked at his reflection in the water, he saw seven stars shining above his head forming a crown." Pausing, she pushed a piece of stray hair over her ear and continued. "He reached into the water and pulled them out and they formed a helmet, the one which I do believe he's wearing in the painting." She cast a quick look to the painting and then back at Thorin.

"The stars became a part of his sigil." Thorin finished for a moment to let a comfortable silence surround them. All that could be heard was the flickering of flames from the nearby torches.

"What did he do next?" Náriel's curious voice piped up.

Thorin looked at her, "He wanted to establish his own kingdom in the land nearest to the lake in the Misty Mountains." He said with a slow nod, "He built his kingdom and named it Khazad-dûm."

"Moria."

"Yes," Thorin nodded, "And it became one of the greatest dwarf kingdoms in all the history of Middle-earth." He crossed his arms slowly and looked to the painting hanging from the wall opposite to them.

Náriel smiled and shifted, swinging her legs over the bench, she rested her feet against the floor silently. She enjoyed listening to her little history lesson. Anything that involved Thorin showing knowledge that he had never previously shown before caused her to enjoy with a smile. It was quite useful information to have, considering she was to live here now it'd be incredibly useful to know of the dwarf who was his ancestor.

"You're going to look at me like I'm speaking Sindarin...but why is he called Durin the Deathless, and why exactly does he have a day named after him?" Náriel questioned, she couldn't help it. Those two questions were niggling away at her. Sure, she had lived through one Durin's Day that she openly knew of, but even still she wanted to know. Looking to the side she laughed, "Stop it!" She reached up and put a hand over his eyes so she wouldn't be subjected to the look she knew she'd receive.

Reaching up, he pulled her hand away and turned it over in his own grasp. "They're good questions, even if one of them I find slightly..."

"Silly?"

"Well, be fair, you're not to know, are you? I don't know of any other elves which openly know dwarven history."

"I wouldn't go that far, for all I knew this was my first history lesson."

"Regardless, I think you know more than any other elf." Thorin said while patting her hand.

"Calling me smart, hm?" Náriel said with a quiet yet smug sounding tone.

Thorin laughed, "If I knew this was the reaction I'd receive then I wouldn't have said anything."

Náriel's eyes narrowed. "That's like flatly calling me idiotic, or stupid."

"Oh," Thorin shifted suddenly uncomfortable under the blank look Náriel was sending his way. "No, I...well...no, you're certainly not that." Coughing awkwardly he decided to skim past this and continue with the history lesson. "It was believed that Durin couldn't die, hence the name. It was thought that he simply fell asleep and reincarnated into his own line. He did however live longer than any dwarf, but like everything else, he did eventually die. The day on which he passed is Durin's Day, which is the start of our new year...I don't need to go into the technicalities of it because if I remember rightly Gandalf already did that for me." Thorin said while sighing quietly.

Náriel nodded slowly, that much was true. Gandalf did previously give a rather good, yet, simple description of Durin's Day for her and Bilbo's sake. Laughing quietly, she shook her head, Thorin looked at her with a frown. Spontaneous laughter was always something which quite frankly confused him. Though Náriel rarely did it in the past, her doing it now was just confusing. "Sorry just...do you ever do that thing where you meet someone and you form an opinion, only for it to change suddenly?"

"I think I can frankly say yes." Thorin admitted honestly. "Why do you ask?"

"Just...never before have you shown such understanding and knowledge. You just flawlessly told me the tale of your ancestor, and you told it in such a way that had me gripped, I have to admit. You're a rather intelligent person aren't you really? You give off this air of confident leader, but really-"

"Rather intelligent? I thought we were past childishly insulting each other's intelligence?" Thorin chuckled and looked to her.

"I was trying to compliment you, and you just cut me off." Náriel huffed.

"Oh...do continue."

"No, the moment has passed." Náriel said with mock seriousness and let out a quiet hmph. The two were quiet for a moment before they both laughed. Náriel looked at him and reached out to put her spare hand over the one which was still holding her other one. "Tell me, who are the people in the other paintings?" She asked curiously, there were three other paintings beside Durin's, they were all dressed in a similar grand manor.

"These are the Kings Under the Mountain. There were only two Kings before my grandfather." Thorin said quietly, he supposed he'd see his own portrait adorning the walls soon. That was a thought which caused him to look a little confused, he would have to get used to that.

"What can you tell me about them?" Náriel inquired. Though she already briefly knew about one of them from previously meeting him.

Thorin looked at her and smirked, "I get the feeling you just want to keep me talking."

"I like listening to you talk." Náriel smiled. "Even more so when it involves furthering my knowledge." She laughed over her honesty.

Thorin held up an arm and wrapped it around her shoulders when she moved along the bench and sat right beside him. "As you wish, though I have to say if you get sick and tired of listening to me, just tell me."

Náriel frowned and looked up at him from leaning against his shoulder. "Can I openly admit I don't think that's likely to happen. As I said; I like listening to you talk. So, talk."

They weren't exactly the words which Thorin expected to hear, let alone at such an early time in the morning. Náriel leaned back against the stonework rail behind her and looked to the doorway where he stood. "Anything?" She questioned with a sigh. "Look, fine, I get it, me leaving again isn't good. And neither of us are very good with saying farewell to each other. But, as my uncle so rightly alerted to me yesterday; I have a home to say goodbye to." Náriel said, it had been bothering her since the conversation with Thranduil had happened.

After her brief history lesson both Thorin and Náriel parted ways for a short time. Dain had bought up more suggestions for Erebor, and Balin was by his side sharing his opinion on the matter. In truth, Náriel wasn't wholly paying attention. As bad as that was, considering this was to become her new home, but even still, she had excused herself so they could have their little meeting, and it was at this point when she had crossed paths with her uncle.

Thranduil was exploring the many winding halls and corridors of the Mountain again. He was rather unsurprised to see how little it had truly changed. He had been between Dale and Erebor since the battle had ended, he had even taken two days to travel back to Mirkwood. Those who were still there were fine and trying their hardest to collect things together which would be of use in the restoration of Dale, or supplies that people would need.

"Not all will be present on the day to see you wed." Thranduil had started, which caused her to look at him curiously. It was not surprising. They couldn't very well leave Mirkwood unprotected and abandoned for one day. "It would be only right for you to say farewell properly." At this point he cast a look down at her.

Náriel sighed silently and nodded slowly. He said it in such a way that she couldn't comment back. She couldn't disagree, she could only agree, and when she pondered over it, he was right. She did need to say farewell to her home. Frowning suddenly, she looked up at him. "I am sure that it will be a short lived farewell, uncle. Even if I am to move here, I will still visit. Though...I'm not sure how often, but I will return. I cannot stay away from Mirkwood for a lengthy amount of time."

Thranduil smiled lightly at this. "Will you be visiting alone?" He commented sarcastically yet with an underlining tone of humour.

Náriel laughed, placing a hand over her mouth to hide her smile, she shook her head slowly. "I think it'd take a lot to persuade Thorin to return to Mirkwood. His last visit wasn't pleasant."

Thranduil frowned at this and was silent. Sure, anyone else would surely apologise over that little mishap. But he acted out of judgement. He did what he thought was right at the time. He did not need to apologise for that. Even if he did, he was rather sure Thorin would either comment sarcastically or just nod. There wouldn't be full acceptance. It took enough to get them to be on common ground. Apologies were a new thing they'd tackle in time, he was sure. Or relatively sure.

Náriel entwined her hands over her stomach and looked around the corridor they were walking down. Early evening light from the large windows flooded warmly in, the dark brickwork was illuminated and lit to a dark grey; the stones were warm underneath her feet. Admittedly, Náriel had taken to walking the corridors barefoot. She often walked barefoot back in Mirkwood's corridors. She just liked the feel of solid stone underneath her feet. Even more so when it was warmed by the sun which shone earlier in that day.

"Tomorrow," Náriel said firmly. Thranduil looked down at her. Slowly but surely she looked up at him with a smile, "The sooner I go, the sooner I return. The sooner I go, the easier it'll be. Waiting for a time to go would cause...unhappiness." Náriel said thoughtfully. Unhappiness, unease, sadness and perhaps silence. "Who will I be travelling with?"

At this Thranduil stopped and turned to look down at her. With a smile he simply replied; "Aranhi." Náriel couldn't even keep in the groan. Aranhi, it was always Aranhi. She wondered if the poor elf had become sick of always being lumbered with her. It was always him. Thranduil's smile seemed to grow slightly over her reaction.

"Fine!" Náriel exclaimed and sighed before shaking her head. "Fine, so be it. Will you be coming too?"

"No," Thranduil said while his eyes narrowed a fraction. Náriel looked at him curiously, "I have other business to attend to here."

Smiling, she didn't press the matter, she just smiled and bowed her head slowly before continuing on in her journey through the corridors. Though inwardly she was in confusion and thinking too heavily on this matter. Bringing the subject up to Thorin was a tricky thing for her. So, she just so happened to come out with it simply. Why bother being tactful? Beating around the subject wasn't going to soften the blow. If anything she was sure it'd make it worse.

At least this time her saying she had to leave was coming from her own mouth. Previously it had been Thranduil. And at the time he seemed to get pleasure out of it, in some small degree. Even still, Náriel was now wondering if it had been better coming from her uncle again. She couldn't quite deal with the unblinking blue eyes which were staring at her. "Fine," Thorin said at last. Náriel actually jumped at the sound of his voice. She had taken to thinking and had got lost in thought until he spoke and bought her back to reality.

"Fine? Fine as in; fine, if you must go then fine. Or fine as in; fine, but I am not happy about it. Or, fine as in; fine, whatever you have to do, do it?"

Thorin laughed and shook his head. "How about all three?"

Náriel smiled, at least he was honest. Holding out her hands, she loosely wriggled her fingers and entwined them with his when he placed his hands in hers. "Listen, it is only right that I say farewell to Mirkwood. Though I am not cutting it completely out of my life. It will always be a part of me, and I will return back to visit. But as my uncle said, there are people that will not be here when we are wed. Just to let you know, I agree with all three statements I said, and I do feel the same really." She laughed honestly and looked up at him.

"I understand," he said while looking over her shoulder at the landscape before him. "You honestly didn't need to explain your reasons for going."

"I feel like I did."

"You didn't," Thorin looked back at her. Smiling he gently squeezed her hands, before turning and leading her back into the room behind him. "Never feel like you have to justify yourself. Least of all to me." He glanced at her to see her nod slowly.

Laughing, she nudged her shoulder against him. "Do I get a farewell party this time?"

"In two different locations?" Thorin smirked as they left the room and walked down the corridor.

"It was the thought that counts." Náriel said while hanging her head and patting a hand against his arm. "It was a charming thought. Lovely in fact," hearing him let out a quiet laugh she looked back at him. "I think I can safely say that I will be back in a few days. Not years." She winced and ran a hand through her hair nervously. "Say, while I'm gone, what are you going to be doing?"

"Well," Thorin replied slowly and thoughtfully. "The plans to further restore Erebor have come to a sudden stop. We seem content with how things are at the moment. Though sure, there are some places which need rebuilding."

"Like the front door," Náriel said teasingly.

"Yes, like the front door." Thorin frowned. "Not sure how much longer we can continue without one." Náriel merely nodded slowly at this. Though it was quite a sight to see people just swan in and out as they pleased. "Dís," Thorin said with a sigh. "I am not sure you know this, but it seems my sister has taken to trying to organise our wedding. If I remember rightly her exact words were: 'you two seem too preoccupied with other business, so leave it to me.'"

Náriel winced, "I'm concerned."

"That feeling is shared," Thorin nodded and looked down at her.

"Intervene."

"I plan to."

"Please do." Náriel looked up at him with wide eyes. "It's not that I am questioning your sister's ability to organise something. Or even her judgements on things. Just...well, taking on the whole thing doesn't bode well with me." Pausing she frowned lightly, "Though she has a point. We do seem busy with other things to fully organise it."

Thorin nodded agreeing with her completely, though honestly he didn't see the rush for the wedding. Náriel didn't seem in a particular rush for it to happen either. She seemed content just to be here, with him, as they were. But considering how things had now settled down in the Mountain he reckoned now was as good a time as any to fully organise it and put it into motion.

There were many times throughout their shared adventure when Bilbo had seen Thorin go through a whole multitude of emotions. From anger to happiness, scepticism to acceptance, even depression to determination. Bilbo was rather sure that he'd seen all emotions. Though there was perhaps one, or rather a disposition which Bilbo had quite forgotten was particular to dwarf-kind. Irritable and grouchy. Genuinely being in an all round bad mood. And this was only an hour, not even that, since Náriel had departed to Mirkwood with Aranhi.

The farewell in itself was rather eventful, the poor elf-Princess had been subjected to one heck of a group hug which almost squeezed the life out of her. And that was just from Dís, Fíli and Kíli. The others either loosely embraced her because she was recovering from a bone crushing grip, or just patted her on the shoulder telling her to hurry up and return.

Bilbo couldn't quite pin the tone down that was used. It was close to desperate, yet insisting, and then not forgetting serious. It was all rather confusing, at the time Bilbo honestly didn't see the point of using such tones. He himself just smiled lightly at her, patted his sides and waved a hand at her, only for her to wrap her arms around his shoulders and pull him close.

"Goodbye, my friend, do me a favour for when I'm gone." She had whispered in his ear, Bilbo merely nodded and looked over her shoulder with confused eyes. "Keep an eye on him," she didn't need to say who him was, that was rather obvious.

"Oh, he won't need me loitering around. But I shall do my best," Bilbo had replied while patting a hand gently on her shoulder. Náriel seemed content with this and had let him go. Turning to her friends, she smiled and waved a hand before exiting the Mountain alongside Aranhi.

Approximately forty-five minutes had passed since then, and Bilbo was just mindlessly taking a stroll. He was debating whether to go see how the building work was doing down in Dale. He hadn't been down there for a while and he was curious to see how it was going. From the balconies he could clearly see the towers being built up. The houses and streets were gradually taking form which caused him to smile faintly.

In his mindless strolling he had stopped and shuffled back to see Thorin looking rather bemused down at a table in front of him. It wasn't the furniture which was causing the confused almost bordering annoyed expression; more the papers which were littered across it. "Are you just going to stand there and stare, Master Baggins?" Thorin asked while running a hand thoughtfully on his chin and looking to him with a sidewards look.

Bilbo just blinked and pointed down the corridor, "Well, I was just passing actually."

Thorin raised an eyebrow, he clearly didn't believe him. Though Bilbo was being honest, he wasn't trying to find Thorin. If anything, though he listened to Náriel's words, Bilbo was not going to loiter around Thorin. He wasn't going to keep tabs on what he was doing, or where he was going. Mainly because he knew Thorin would quite clearly tell him to go away. Maybe, perhaps, in a slightly more polite manner, though that may be asking a little too much at this point in time.

"Just come in," Thorin sighed and smiled lightly. "You don't seem to have any attention of moving off. So, come in."

Bilbo awkwardly nodded and trotted in and stopped by his side. "What is this I am looking at?"

"This," Thorin gestured a hand to the papers in front of them. "Is my sister's idea of help."

"The wedding."

"Yes."

"How's that going?"

"With the way Dís is trying to do things, it's not going anywhere. Hence why I have intervened. And yes, before you say it, yes I know I should technically be planning my own wedding. But I have been preoccupied, for better words."

"I wasn't going to say anything." Bilbo mumbled and got a frown sent his way. Smiling lightly, he scanned over a piece of paper and frowned over what he read. "Slightly excitable, isn't she?"

"It's like she's getting married."

"I think she's just happy for you."

"Oh believe me, Bilbo, I know that." Thorin stepped back from the table and gave the papers a withering look before looking to him. "I have a suggestion."

"Being?"

"We leave this room, leave Dís's bizarre plans behind, and just walk."

"Sounds like you're trying to escape there." Bilbo said while putting his hands in his pockets and smiling.

"You'd be correct." Thorin admitted quietly with a frown. "By all means though, if you know anything about how to organise and plan a wedding, we can stay and try and make sense and rectify Dís's suggestions and notions." Thorin said in a slightly sarcastic suggestive tone while glancing at the table.

Bilbo's eyes widened and he slowly shook his head. "On second thoughts, your idea of a walk sounds great, brilliant even, shall we?" Bilbo said quickly while not wasting any time with exiting the room with Thorin not too far behind.

"Where are you two off to?" Balin's voice came from a corridor opening. Stopping and watching him as he walked up to them, they exchanged a look. "You look like you're up to something." He said thoughtfully while narrowing his eyes.

"Up to something? Oh no, no, Balin you are mistaken." Bilbo said with a smile.

"That's making you seem more guilty." Balin stated.

Thorin sighed and rolled his eyes. "Bilbo is kindly tearing me away from plans."

"Dís's plans you mean?" Balin chuckled. "Oh trust me, I know them. She even pestered me with them. I think if you two are avoiding planning, then you best relieve Fíli and Kíli too. They've had to put up with Dís the most, or rather she won't leave them alone."

"Hm," Thorin hummed thoughtfully and nodded. "That'd involve having to cross paths with her. And she does have a habit of seeing through lies."

"Just avoid wedding talk and say you need to borrow Fíli and Kíli for a moment." Balin suggested.

"That's quite a good idea," Bilbo piped up with a nod.

"Thank you, Balin." Thorin smiled and continued to walk alongside Bilbo. The two did stop though when Balin's voice called out to them.

"May I make another suggestion?" He questioned, "Best not put off the planning for too long, hm? Keep in mind Náriel is under the presumption that planning will be going on while she's away. You think your sister is too much to cope with at the moment. How will you react to an elven-Princess who'll no doubt be irritated to find out nothing has changed?" This alone caused Thorin's eyes to widen. Balin had another point, "Don't leave the poor lass to sort out everything, eh?" Balin waved at them and then turned away.

Bilbo looked up at Thorin, "Had a change of mind about that walk?"

"Not entirely," Thorin said slowly and looked down at Bilbo. "More, I think we now have a purpose for a walk."

"That being?" Bilbo asked curiously as they started walking again.

"We need to know how many people will be attending. That means having to check up on everyone." Thorin looked quickly at Bilbo as they walked down one of the many stone staircases. "Erebor can hold many people, but I think they'll have to be a limit."

"Right," Bilbo said with a raised eyebrow. "To Dale then?" He smiled faintly and picked up his pace when they reached the foyer. They avoided the workers down here who were constructing the new front doors. Taking in the fresh cool air of the day the two commenced the short walk down to the bustling rebuilding city.

Reedited: 6/Nov/2023

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

211K 5.6K 76
The Taurhelim are a forgotten race of people -- half dwarf, half elf. A hundred years before Smaug attacks Erebor, they were obliterated by orcs. Onl...
126K 4.1K 42
The time has come. Erebor still lies within the Lonely Mountain, and Smaug has not been sighted for years. The regal line of Durin must reclaim their...
179K 5.4K 38
Enmira is a half elven skin changer, that went through a lot in her early years. After an encounter with Gandalf, she sees the company that she needs...
8.5K 314 21
COMPLETED story with a SEQUEL; "A Permanent Lineage" *Over 34+ chapters overall! "...She had dreamt of what his lips would feel and taste like for...