The Moonlight Boy | Ferry's T...

By angelapoppe

* The Fiction Awards 2020 Winner * In Goodharts, the small town beyond the hills, nobody knows how Ferry Dono... More

Such an unusual child
The name
One peculiar boy
The encounter
Hag of the mist
Hoity Toity
The raven's stone
The Fires of the Hills (part one)
The Fires of the Hills (part two)
A fairy's gift
Mr. Pancake's magic show (part one)
Mr. Pancake's magic show (part two)
The veiled lady
The forgotten garden
Whispers in the wind
Behind the veil (part one)
Behind the veil (part two)
A fairy's love
The creatures named fairies
A song in the night
The time of the shadows (part one)
The time of the shadows (part two)
A familiar stranger
Visitors
Late night gathering
Signs (part one)
Signs (part two)
An unexpected discovery
There's a shift in the air
The vanishing of Danny Stevens
What Billy saw
Operation VDS
Detective work
Echoes from the past (part one)
Echoes from the past (part two)
The second gift
The calling
The departure
A door to the unknown
Land of the Unseen
A fairy's trap
Oona's game
The little friend
The breakup
Alone
Old friends
The plan
Closer
Shelter of secrets (part one)
Shelter of secrets (part two)
Shattered plans
Into the darkness (part one)
Into the darkness (part two)
The talk
The Moon's Tear
The Fountain of Truth
Dance of the Moon
A fairy's tale
The wall
The Spear of Justice
CLAP!
Home
The fairy sister
The lost child

The Oath

43K 2.7K 1.6K
By angelapoppe

"Mum's done a good thing when she sent me to school," Ferry argued. "I couldn't have stayed hidden inside forever. I wouldn't have seen this beautiful world. I wouldn't have learned so many things.  I wouldn't have met my friends... I would have been very lonely..." he said in a low voice.

"But you must understand that her decision put you in danger, My Prince," the Pan said firmly. "It put all of us in danger. Being out in the world meant anyone could see you. The fairies could have seen you. People could've hurt you. That creature of the Hollows knew of your awakening. That's why we had to do something. We had to show up in your life and the lives of your friends without anyone suspecting anything..."

"That's why you brought Mr. Pancake's Magic Show to town," Ben dared to speak. "You're Mr. Pancake!"

Lord Stephan nodded, "It was the only way we could come to your town without drawing attention. You see, the grown-ups in the world of humans see only what they want to see. They only see the whole picture and miss the small details. For them, it was only a magic show. Yet, the children realized it was more than a show. But the parents don't listen when they should. If they could only stop for a moment and listen... See the world through the eyes of a child... They would discover so much..."

"That's how Ferry's Guardians could stay in town without looking suspicious. They sheltered in our homes," continued Ben. His curiosity made him quite babbly.

"That is right," said the Pan. "They had to look like animals escaping from the circus. Strange animals, it's true. But in the end, the circus is nothing but an unusual show. Creatures like us can easily find a place in a circus without the people suspecting anything. They would call them freaks and that would be all."

All the children were quietly listening. Pan couldn't be more right.

"But then came the difficult part. The part where the human children we selected had to become Prince Garrett's guardians without suspecting anything."

"But why us?" asked Ben.

The Pan looked at the little boy with glasses in front of him. He seemed pleasantly surprised by his curiosity.

"Because in strange, unusual ways, at least one member of your family was somehow connected to fairies. Matilda's mother was kidnapped by fairies. Benjamin's grandmother knew so many remedies that only the fairies could have known. Whilst May's grandmother actually met one... Of course, we've kept an eye on you to see if you were worth the mission."

"And we made certain that you were, indeed worthy," added Baldie.

But Ben was still not clear, "What is that mission, more exactly?"

"You have to protect Prince Garret from anything that might harm him," said the Pan and his voice felt even more serious. "Like iron. Iron is poison to fairies. You also have to protect him from harming himself or from people wanting to harm him. He still can't heal himself, it takes a lot of time to learn that. Because if human healers... How do you call them? Doctors! If the doctors studied him, they would find out he's not human. That his blood is white. And Prince Garret would become ─"

" ─ a lab rat," Ben interrupted him.

The Pan nodded. Lavender rose from her chair with difficulty and came to Ferry, leaning on her crane.

"I have something to give you," she said. She took out from the many layers of her dress a pair of gloves. They were so delicate, they looked like woven from a cobweb.

"Here," she said, offering them to him. "It's the last thing I've used my fairy skills to make. They look fragile, but they are stronger than steel. They will protect you from the touch of iron."

Ferry took the gloves carefully. They were so light, it seemed like he was holding nothing in his hands. He put them on and he saw with wonder how the delicate fabric became one with his hands. As if he wasn't wearing anything. He was finally freed from the thick gloves he used to wear, so uncomfortable and itchy during summertime.

"Thank you," he said, continuing to stare at his hands. His friends also pulled out a 'wow' at the sight of such marvel.

"That will make people not see you as a curiosity anymore," said Lavender, smiling. "Besides, I'll soon become the town's curiosity again. I'm going to waive that veil and go to town soon," she added, winking at the children. "I shall finally look like the oldest woman in town..."

But Lord Stephan didn't seem to agree, "Do you think that's wise, Milady? People are used to judging other people. They only see the surface of things. They only judge by the looks without even trying to see what's beyond."

But the old fairy shook her head, a bitter smile in the corner of her lips, "I've been hiding my whole life. Now that I'm finally human, I won't hide anymore. Even with this hideous look."

"That's a shame," said the Pan softly, and his voice trembled again. "Such a shame they can't see how beautiful you are..."

But then, he shook off that feeling and the look in his eyes was cold and penetrating again. "That is why, all the beings here, people or fae, must take an oath. An oath of keeping Prince Garrett away from any harm, from any danger, be it from this world or the others."

Everyone complied in silence.

But Ferry had questions still. "So I have to be protected from humans. But who is that creature from Akna that I have to be protected from? The one that killed my parents? The one who's threatening Akna? Why is it doing all those things?" he asked the Pan looking dead in his eyes.

The Pan frowned. He walked along and across the garden again. "Truth is... we don't know many things about that creature. You see, when the Hollow Fairies decided to descend to the center of Earth, they have also chosen to separate themselves from the world above. They chose to stay away from the light. And the absence of light made their hearts turn empty and their soul turn dark. The few times we had news about those creatures were from the chronicles of humans. Some adventurers encountered those creatures. But those who dared to go too close to their world never came back. "

"But why are they looking to take over Akna?" Ben asked, taking out of his pocket his notebook as if ready to take notes.

"Because their world is dying. Their sun is growing old. It doesn't bring light and warmth like it used to. The plants, the trees, the animals, and the Hollow Fairies started to suffer from the lack of warmth and light. Once their sun began to fade, famine and diseases spread over their land.

They needed to find a new home. With a younger Sun. Or a younger Moon that shone as bright as the Sun... So they found ours..." he said with a sigh. "A fertile land, dominated by a Moon that gave light and warmth just like the Sun. A land of wise and peaceful creatures, yet great warriors when it was needed."

"But why Akna of all the magical lands?" Ben insisted. "What makes it so special?"

The Pan looked at the little boy with glasses, not sure if he should answer his questions. "Because the people of Akna had something great. Something that other fairy people lost. The power of knowledge... You see, those creatures are looking for the Floating City of Eolas, a city long gone, a city of legend. If they find it, they find the answers to everything. Power, richness, immortality... The great people of Eolas know it all. That is why we are fighting over letting them find that city. That is why we must find it first."

The children were listening, barely breathing. A heavy silence fell over the garden. Ferry could see now. He could feel the danger coming from that creature, even though so far away from his safe world.

"I've seen it," he whispered. "I've seen it in the Fountain of Truth. Pure evil..."

Lord Stephan stepped closer, putting his hand on Ferry's shoulder. "It's the Lady of the Void. If Fae Queen from Tenalach used to hide in plain sight, we know nothing about the Lady of the Void. Whoever dared to visit their world never came back. The two Doors at the edge of the world are severely guarded and the cold of those places kills anyone who dares to come too close, be it human or fae.

"When Akna will be taken over entirely, the Doors at the end of the World shall open and all those creatures will leave their dying world and come into ours and own it. No one will stand in their way.

"The leaders of Akna perished, or they are being held captive. The Queen and King are dead, their souls captive. Princess Kaylin lost her power. Her children are prisoners in the dungeons of darkness. Away from the moonlight, sapped by the abilities they were blessed with. You're the only one who could destroy them. Akna's only hope..." he ended, giving tone to his last words.

All eyes were now on Ferry. They were all waiting. He swallowed hard before saying, "What do I have to do?"

The Pan breathed out in relief. "First, you must become worthy, as the Prophecy says. That's why we brought you here where time flows faster ─ to grow up. Then, you need to find all the five parts of the Spear of Justice. Only when the Spear is whole, will you be able to crush the evil that's menacing Akna. You found the first piece in Tenalach. We must find the other four worlds where the missing pieces are hidden."

"But how am I suppose to do that if I'm only safe in this world?" asked Ferry.

"You have to prepare for when the time of justice shall come. Thyme will be your master and train you into the art of flight, weaponry, and help you discover and polish your fairy abilities. You're a descendant of the Great Fairies of the Moon, Prince Garrett. Your abilities are great. But first, you need to learn to master them. All this time, you'll be protected by Thyme, Sage, and Rosemary who will be in their animal shape during the daytime. Unfortunately, Parsley can't do that anymore," he said looking at Izzy. "He won't be able to shapeshift because of Queen Saraid's charm. He'll hide during the day. And I think this is the best place for hiding. "

Lavender put her hand on Izzy's shoulder. He was keeping his head down. "Don't worry, Parsley," she softly said. "We'll have a lot to do in the garden. You're one of the most skilled gardeners I've ever met. You can still come one with the ground or foliage, you haven't lost this gift. In case Ferry would need you..."

"And I'll visit you every day," Ben promised.

Izzy rose his eyes from the ground and a shade of hope glittered in his eyes. "I could grow melons on this land," he said. "They would be the biggest melons this world has ever seen."

Lavender smiled and Izzy smiled back at her.

"But what is our part in this story?" asked Matilda.

"I'm afraid your mission won't be easy," said the Pan. "There are a lot of dangers ahead. Only for being the friends of a... curious being ─ the way your people see him ─ that alone might put you in trouble. Therefore, before taking this oath, you need to give it a good thought," he said in a serious tone, watching each child in the eye.

Under the Pan's deep glance, Ben turned nervous while Matilda began to play with a hole in her pants; her mother couldn't take her eyes off of it. Only May was the one who, without the slightest trace of fear, looked back at Lord Stephan as a brave soldier who waits for the orders of his commander.

"That is why," he continued, "if you have any doubts, you must speak now. If there's the smallest shadow of a doubt in your heart, Baldie will fly you over the Valley of Oblivion and you won't remember anything about this gathering, nor that Prince Garrett is of fae nature."

His friends looked at each other. Matilda was the first one to step forward.

"I want to remember," she said, looking very determined.

"Me, too," Ben joined her, after a short moment of hesitation. "Everything is more interesting with Ferry around," he smiled.

May was the only one left. Ferry took a peek at her. She was smiling with all her heart. "I want to remember, too," she said.

"Then we are ready," said the Pan. "Come closer, you, who shall become the Guardians," he called for the children and the Amalgams.

They gathered around Ferry who was barely breathing. Somehow, he didn't feel worthy of such a solemn ceremony. He began to understand the mission that was given to him and the burden that grew ever heavier on his young fairy shoulders.

"Now get together around Prince Garrett and hold hands. Then, repeat after me..."

And the Pan stepped back. Lavender watched from the side, leaning on her crane. Her eyes glittered with tears. Matilda's parents didn't dare to come closer as if their presence would have interrupted a sacred ritual. They remained by the fire to watch the whole ceremony with humility.

In the deep, solemn silence, the voices rose to the sky above the forgotten garden of the old fairy. One of them was deep. The other voices, following it in a bit of a hurry, in fear not to miss a word, were three voices of children blending with the melodic voices of four fairies and harmonizing with Ferry's heartbeat.

"I promise," said all the voices at once, "to be by Prince Garrett of Akna, the Spear Carrier, the Lost Child of Fairies, in times of joy and in times of sorrow. To protect him from any harm, be it from this world or from beyond, to help him by act or by saying whenever he would call out for me. To cherish, honor, and stand by him even when he will chase me away. And especially when he will chase me away... This is my sacred oath that I'm taking and that I shall keep from now on and until the end of my days."

When the oath came to an end, Ferry's Guardians, children and fairies, gently placed their hands on his shoulders. He raised his eyes to the sky and the moon on his forehead shone brighter than ever before.

The sun was about to set. In the warm light that embraced the shadows of the night, a group of loud children headed towards the central square of the small town between the hills. Two of them, a boy and a girl, were walking beside their bikes. The boy's bike was new and shiny, whilst the girl's bike was rusty, with the wheel's chain hanging. The others loudly cheered, singing a victory song invented on the spot.

At that hour, the local people had their usual evening walk. The children's joyful cheering was contagious. The people stopped on their way, listening. Then, they clapped their hands or cheered back at them. And for good reason. The event was one to remember ─ the annual bike race was being held again. Only this time, it had only two competitors ─ Matilda Harper and Billy Pride.

The route was simple. They had to follow a route at the base of the hills around the town, then come back from where they left, which was the town's small square.

Matilda looked stern. She mounted on her old bike and went to the starting line that a child had marked with a piece of white chalk.

"No tricks this time, Billy," she threatened Billy with her finger. "I know you have one feather left."

"Fine! No tricks," said Billy, frowning.

A small boy fluttered a white handkerchief as a starting signal and the two children dashed on their bikes, pedaling grimly, then loosing on the horizon in a cloud of dust.

Now they had to wait. Everyone found something to do. Some boys played the ball. Three girls played hopscotch under the strict surveillance of Cecilia Haughty. Ben sat on a bench and began to sketch a time machine in his notebook. Time travels had become his latest preoccupation and Ben had read all the books on the subject from Mrs. Dear's library. To be fair, they were only two books about time travel in the library. But to Ben, they were priceless.

Danny Stevens was still enjoying the fame of coming back alive from such a dreadful happening. He was now telling two younger boys his survival techniques in the wild.

But Ferry had the best preoccupation of them all ─ he watched May from the distance. The girl sat on the edge of the fountain in the middle of the square. She was reading a book she had brought with her. A book about fairies. The amber light of sunset was reflected in the fountain's water, then bounced in round sparks on her face and hair. That moment, Ferry thought she was the prettiest being he's ever seen, in this world and beyond. He came close with small steps and sat beside her without saying a word. She smiled and offered him the book, showing a picture of a small fairy with the wings of a grasshopper. They both leaned over the picture, their faces closer to each other until their temples touched. They were giggling, whispering to that fairies were nothing like the one in the picture. Ferry smelled her sweet perfume, feeling her soft locks on his cheek. If he could stop the time, he would do it right then and there. But he knew that time could not be ruled over, not even by fairies.

A small pressed flower fell from the pages of May's book. It was blue and, even though longtime forgotten between the pages, it still preserved its bright color and faint perfume. And of course, it did. It was a forget-me-not flower. May picked it up and gave it to him. Ferry carefully took it as if the most delicate, precious jewelry. Then, he folded it in his handkerchief with slow, gentle moves and put it in the pocket of his shirt. Right over his heart. May had no idea that the fairy-boy would never be separated from that flower again. Nor that that evening was to stay in his heart forever.

Soon, the chill of the night began to fall. The street lamps turned on, one by one. So did the stars in the sky.

It was time. The children abandoned their games and now they were waiting. They were all impatient. It's been more than an hour and no sign of the two competitors on the title Biker of the year. A few people joined the children, waiting with their hearts full of emotion and curiosity as if children themselves.

The tension grew. The cheers turned louder. Finally, a bike emerged on the horizon, on the other edge of the town. They all made an effort to see who the biker was. With leaves in her hair, burs on her clothes, and dust on her sweaty cheek, Matilda crossed the finish line in everyone's cheers and claps.

Ferry and Ben rushed to hug her. May offered her a flower, and Matilda gladly accepted all the hugs, flowers, and cheers.

After a while, Billy finally got within everyone's sight gasping, his face red because of the effort, the shame, and the anger.

It was a clear victory. Matilda lifted the old, chipped cup over her head in everyone's clapping.

"Ice cream for everyone!" the grocer announced, and the children gathered in groups and headed towards the grocery.

Billy offered his hand to Matilda. After a short moment of hesitation, Matilda shook his hand, smiling.

"Congratulations, Matt," he mumbled. "You deserved to win..." Then he turned to Cecilia and Danny, "Let's go to my place. I have lots of ice-cream, ten times better than the one from the grocery."

Cecilia passed by Ben, high up in the nose. The boy seemed a bit saddened as if he had hoped until the last moment that she would join the loud group heading to the grocery. Yet, Danny stood put.

"Danny, are you coming?" asked Billy, stopping on his way, a slight perplexity in his voice.

Danny didn't answer. He looked at Matilda with surprise as if he was seeing her for the first time. The girl had ruffled hair and dusty clothes. But her eyes were bright. And Danny smiled at her as if they were the best of friends.

"I ─ I think I'll stay for a little while..."

The flying training with Baldie proved to be a true joy. When darkness fell, a flap of wings in the windows was the signal that a new night of adventure was beginning.

"The flight is an art," Baldie used to say. "Not every fairy can fly. Imagine how crowded the sky would be if that happened," he joked. "But flying, really flying, means feeling... Feeling the air, the earth, and the sky. Feeling you can touch the farthest star even though it died a long time ago and all we see in the sky it's its light. Flying where only the thoughts can fly. To learn... To know... One who truly masters the art of flight is a gifted creature, indeed..."

It was true. With each night, Ferry felt that flying got smoother, easier. It made him bolder and more confident.

In the beginning, he still hit the branches. But in time, he had learned to rise high enough, above the houses and the trees. Up there, he would barely meet a lost bird or a daring bat.

Then, he had learned to reach a certain place in the blink of an eye. He had to settle his eyes on a spot of that place, then focus on it and before he knew it, he dashed towards that spot like an arrow of light.

Baldie told him there was still a lot to learn about his fairy nature. For instance, how to become invisible at will. Or how to listen beyond the noise. Because ─ he used to say ─ if he was really listening, he could hear the earth singing; or how to see beyond forms or colors; or how to read the signs of weather in the clouds of the sky, or in the song of the birds.

Of all the training for his mission, Ferry liked the fight lessons the least. In Lavender's garden, Baldie tought him how to handle swords and spears made of wood. Lessons that Ferry learned fast, even though he didn't enjoy them as much.

The sleep didn't come as easily as before, ever since his fairy abilities were brought out. Sometimes, he could stay awake for a whole night without feeling tired at all, the next day. And he was waiting for the night to come with ever more impatience.

The night had become his friend. In the nights with the moonlight, everything seemed to become clearer. He knew that flying, just like everything that was related to his fairy nature, had to obey rules. That was precisely why he couldn't fly lower than the treetops because he was in danger to be seen. Nor he could spy on humans, whether accidentally or not because that was strictly forbidden by the Book of Fairies.

He came to love the quiet of the darkness. From up there, he could see things differently. For instance, that in the old train station of the town, there were still trains coming and going late in the night. Other than the wood trains coming to the sawmill. Or that the places he thought deserted were visited from time to time. That in the labyrinth-garden near the Pride mansion, sometimes, the light of a lantern was sparkling in the bushes. That the windows of the last floor of the mansion were lit from time to time.

He also knew he wasn't allowed to fly over the Big City. The air was dirty up there, as Baldie used to say, and his fairy powers would've gotten weaker. Of course, Shepherd's Forest was completely forbidden. Ferry used to watch it from the distance with growing curiosity, hoping that maybe, somehow, Oona would give him a sign...

But what he loved the most was seeing his friends from above. That summer, the nights had been incredibly warm and bright. He could see Matilda racing with Shadow in her backyard, under the loving sight of her parents. He could see Ben watching the night sky in search of UFOs with a telescope he made himself, trying in vain to chase away his three younger sisters.

He could see Lavender talking to Izzy until late in the night in front of a glass of beet and ginger juice. And he saw May and Rosemary chatting at the girl's window. Their giggle and laughter was the sweetest music to his ears.

For all that, Ferry's favorite place was still the highest branch of the walnut tree in his backyard.

Sometimes, when the town was sleeping, he would fly off his window, then fly up to the top of the tree. Up there, he felt the night coming to life. The wind caressed his face with gentle breezes of jasmine. The Moon widely smiled at him from its velvet sky. Sometimes, when he was really listening, beyond the cry of the night's birds or the chirp of the crickets, he thought he could hear whispers coming from the forest. He couldn't understand them now just like he didn't understand them before. He only hoped that maybe those whispers would bring him news about the jolly, prankish fairy he once knew.

From up there, everything looked the same. Yet, the Moonlight Boy knew nothing was going to be the same again.

END OF BOOK ONE IN "FERRY'S TALE" SERIES

Thank you for reading this story! I hope you liked reading it as much as I loved writing it. Let me know your thoughts about this book. Your support has been amazing. I feel blessed with readers like you...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

82.2K 5.4K 46
1st PLACE in the UNICORN AWARDS! On the anniversary of her best friends disappearance, Lyra is ready to accept the inevitability of his death. But wh...
12.6K 462 25
18+ Loosely based on Romeo and Juliet set in a magical fae world. Two powerful families have ruled over the the dark and light fae for thousands of y...
5.3K 453 14
A school trip goes wrong when a class gets lost in the woods and stumbles upon a strange "family" living deep within them. ___________________ 2023 I...