Targeted

Від mvryxpoppin

〔ON PAUSE〕 A young girl name Kellan Lovell has been hidden and raised by her aunt, who she believes is her mo... Більше

Copyright
01 | On The Run
02 | Within The Details
03 | Young & Afraid
05 | Independence

04 | Long Journey Ahead

377 76 98
Від mvryxpoppin

          Kellan swallowed to quench the very sudden dryness in her throat. Tyler's voice had been dark and menacing, filled with death, and the sight of him and Jink made her tremble.

"J-Just let me explain. Please," her voice came out slow and careful. She cleared her throat awkwardly, trying to regain her composure.

"A'ight, bet. What're you gonna' explain first? The fact that you've been withholding information from us, or the fact that you've been fucking lying the entire time?"

She didn't know she was in mid tears until she felt it drip onto her hands. She sat unmoved in the chair they placed her in at a different apartment, attempting to gain the strength to find her voice. Jink was getting bored and upset as he watched her stall. He clicked back his gun making her flinch and dart her eyes up to him.

"You think this is a game?" He gritted.

"No, I'm not playing games or anything! I swear to you!" She cried.

"So when were you going to tell us that you knew Tara isn't your birth mother?"

"I didn't know!! I mean, I still can't believe that she may not be my mother. You have to believe me," she pleaded.

"We don't have to believe shit. You lied once, you'll do it again," Tyler said eyeing her.

"I didn't lie about anything!! I admit, I did hold information though, but that's only because I'm confused and scared right now. I don't even know either of you to be giving out my personal story," she confessed. "There isn't any proof that she is not my mother either."

Jink eyed the printed picture of Tara. "She don't look like she could be a mother, period. Especially not to a seventeen year old."

"Maybe so, but if we were the same age, or even remotely close, then how would she have raised me all this time alone? She couldn't have raised me and herself. She's always looked that way growing up. You've never heard of the saying, 'black don't crack'?" Kellan commented lowly, and Jink shrugged his shoulders and nodded a little in agreement. Tara was mighty attractive, Jink thought to himself as he sat the picture down.

"Why was your name switched?" Tyler asked dismissing the topic of Tara.

Kellan placed her face in her hands feeling overwhelmed. "Can I have a glass of water?"

Tyler walked to the refrigerator from the kitchen table and grabbed a bottled water. He handed it to her and took a seat, as did Jink. Jink flicked the lighter as he stuck a blunt to his lips. He puffed on it and blew out smoke in Kellan's direction as she gulped down the water with urgency.

Once the blunt was passed to Tyler, he took a few tokes before looking to Kellan for answers. "As of right now, all information needs to be on the table for viewing, Kellan. Don't leave shit out. Starting from the beginning."

Jink sighed preparing himself for a boring story. He was annoyed by her presence already, so hearing her talk about herself and her past was going to drive him insane. He took the blunt from Tyler.

"What do you want to know first?" She spoke up. "Should I tell you more about myself so—"

"Hell no," Jink blurted out, not giving a care in the world to know her personality. On the other hand, Tyler actually looked interested. "We already know ya' name. Your likes and dislikes are irrelevant, we need to know details about your past, starting with Tara. You never mentioned how she died."

"That's because—" she started, suddenly her demeanor became visibly uncomfortable. "—I found her...in the bathtub full of bloody water where she slit her wrist."

The two young men glanced at one another. Tyler felt bad for her. She was too young to be going through all that she's endured in the last few days. Jink didn't care too much for the girl, but hearing those words even made him feel sorry for her.

"Damn, I can't imagine how you must've felt," Tyler voiced shaking his head. "I'm sorry."

Kellan wiped her tears, her voice losing itself again.

"I know this may be hard for you to talk about or relive, but we need to know everything. Try and remember things down to the smallest details." Tyler reached out and touched her hand, Jink catching the gesture while lifting the blunt to his lips once again. "What time was it— morning, evening, afternoon? Where were you? Were you two alone? Was she known to self harm or have suicidal thoughts? Did anything seem put off earlier that day?"

"At this very old house we lived in for a few months. I didn't find her until the next morning I woke up. We didn't have anyone over— we never do. She..she wouldn't have just left me alone like this," she cried out, placing her face inside her hands. "We talked normally hours before! Nothing seemed put off about her, but for some reason she was in that bathtub, fully clothed in bath water, and dead!"

"Do you remember the last conversation you had with her?" Jink asked blowing out smoke, keeping his eyes on her, seeing that Tyler's hand never left hers.

"We talked about the future. I was finally going to be enrolled into a private school. She was a little cautious about it, but I thought she was just nervous to let me out of her sight for once." Kellan drifted off into thought remembering Tara's behavior. "Come to think of it...all my life I've been shielded. My mom— Tara— she did seem to be troubled."

"What you mean?"

Kellan furrowed her eyebrows, her memory coming back like a motion picture in her mind. "It's almost as if she had been running away...we moved around all the time, and even so, times we wouldn't leave the house for a period of days. When we did go out in public, she'd keep me close and always looked over her shoulder. She hid a lot from me, and would always beat around the bush when I questioned her."

Jink wrinkled his face when Tyler used his thumb to wipe her tears. He smashed the blunt in an ashtray and cleared his throat, becoming agitated. "How'd her funeral turn out? Was it crowded?"

"Not at all," Kellan said lowly, smiling small over at Tyler for his support and understanding. "I'm the only one who attended, of course."

Something was off and both of the young men felt it. The facts Kellan was presenting along with the information that Tauni found out, wasn't adding up. Jink and Tyler both knew the next steps they needed to take to get their investigation further.

"Are you okay?" Tyler asked her quietly, and she nodded. Jink flared his nostrils low-key getting upset, thinking that his cousin needed to focus on the main goal.

"And what about your father? Have you ever met him?"

"No. I've only known my mo—Tara." Kellan had to keep reminding herself that she may, or may not, be her mother. It was hard to admit it to herself that she was actually questioning everything of her life. Lies seemed to surround her and she couldn't help but feel cheated, like someone should have told her things to prepare her.

Jink and Tyler looked at each other briefly. As Tyler stood and walked off doing something on his phone, Jink reached into his pocket and tossed something to Kellan. She caught it with a quick reflex and examined it in her hand.

Her eyes widened and relief rushed through her as she jumped up with joy. Jink looked over at her like she was weird, and before she leaned to give him a hug, she thought twice about it.

"Oh my god! Thank you!" She said gratefully. "You found it."

Jink mugged her, not seeing what was so significant about the simple jewelry, but Kellan gazed down at the diamond encrusted crystal necklace as it was the key to all her problems which made her immediately latch it around her neck. As a gift, Tara gave it to her when she was a young girl and she never once took it off. She didn't even know how Jink found it because she thought it was lost or stolen. She smiled at the good memories of her and Tara while Jink just watched her silently.

"Ya' li'l boyfriend must've gave that to you," he assumed. "Speaking of, where is that nigga?"

She smiled softly looking up to meet his eyes. "I don't have a boyfriend, and never did."

"Figured," he mumbled catching her attention as if he said it aloud. "I'ma take a wild guess that you're friendless too, huh?"

She cut her eyes at him. "What are you trying to say?"

"Nothing," Jink replied. The sound of his low chuckle offended Kellan, and for some reason, that really ticked her off.

"What is your deal? I mean, like, who exactly are you? You've been asking me questions, but I don't know anything about you."

He licked over his lips keeping the smirk at the crease of his mouth. "You don't need to know shit 'bout me, li'l ma. The more I know about you, the better for your case."

"Right, and the less I know about you, even more better, hm?"

Her sarcasm was annoying and Jink was trying his best not to snap on her. She acted so entitled and it only made him dislike her more and more. He decided to help her because she seemed different...but now, he was starting to think he may of made a mistake.

"I'm getting fed up with your fucking mouth piece. It was my idea to help you and I actually am doing this shit willingly, but you have an arrogant ass attitude about you. You disrespectful and act so entitled, and I'm starting to get the idea to just throw your ass out and let those mother fuckers have their way."

Struck again, Kellan closed her mouth. Not only was his looks dangerous, but Jink had a dangerous way of expressing his words. He's the type of person who can hurt you with his hands, but to his amusement, his words would cut much deeper.

Jink eyed her with calmness, but something about the way his brown eyes stared deeply at her made her squirm in her seat. He looked calm, but she could tell he had a striking hidden temper.

"So, I don't get to ask any questions?"

"Not a fucking thing," he answered harshly.

Kellan rolled her eyes. "Well, that's not fair."

"Welcome to the real world, Kellan Lovell...oh wait, or is it Lexing?" Jink mugged her as he stood from the table and walked out the kitchen letting that last part linger.

Tyler appeared in the walkway, hearing the whole conversation. He took the seat Jink was once in and shook his head. If Kellan knew any better, she'd know not to bite the hand that feeds her. They were trying to help her, and the only thing they asked in return, is a few answered questions, but she was making things difficult by lying, yet expecting the truth from them.

"I deserve to know some answers though. It's my life on the line here," she said sadly meeting eyes with him.

"Kellan, there's just certain things that's kept from you for a reason."

"Story of my life, I guess." She looked down at the table and quickly wiped a tear. "Typical, everyone always keeping information from me. All I want to know is who are you two? How do y'all know what to do, and what to look for, what questions to ask, and who was that girl with all the computers? I'd just like to know who's risking their lives to save me."

Tyler rubbed over his chin, sighing. He could admit that hearing the sadness in her voice kind of made him sympathize with her, but he knew Jink wouldn't approve of revealing their true identity when it wouldn't matter who they are after they helped her.

"You denied our help by climbing out of a window, rudely denied Jink's hospitality, lied to our faces...the list goes on. How do you expect us to treat you? You want answers, but can't even keep it real with us."

"I'm sorry. I realize how I affected your chances of trusting me, but...I'm just scared. Trust is hard to give," she replied. "Especially when you realize that you've been lied to all your life."

"You're exactly right. Trust is hard to give, because it has to be earned, but if you value your life at all, Kellan, you'd stop lying and playing games with us."

She nodded, agreeing. "Okay. I'll put my full trust in you two. I don't want to die, and lord forbid, at least I'd like to know why me."

Tyler scooted his chair over towards her and lowered his voice so his next words came out with caution. "First things first, you need to chill on my cousin. You're lucky that he even decided to help you, because honestly, I wasn't on board at first."

"Well, thank you. I'm grateful. For the both of you."

"You don't need to know everything, but just so you can feel reassured that your trust placed in us will not be for nothing, I'll share some details."

Kellan could sense the hesitation in his voice. She was nervous about what he was going to tell her, but she gave her word to put her trust in them, and so she will.

"Don't mention any of this to Rome, understood?"

"I won't," she committed, but confusion surfaced her soft features immediately. "Wait..who is Rome?"

Tyler knew he couldn't hold water, but the feeling of restraint was no longer pulling him away from her. He felt like she was worth the risk for some reason, it's just something about her, and he'd see to it that the target on her back would be no more.

"Romaal Jinkins— Rome for short," he answered lowly. "But he goes by Jink. And my name is Tyler Douglas."

A short breath released from Kellan's throat as she felt some of the weight slowly lift off her shoulders. Knowing who was helping her brought her some kind of relief.

"It's nice to make your acquaintance, I just wish we could've met under better circumstances."

"Agreed." Tyler eyed her briefly noticing that their names didn't ring a bell to her. He expected it though since she practically been living under a rock, but even so, not many locals knew them anyways. "Kellan, we're hitmen, and sometimes, from time to time if we feel it, we help people with targets on them, just like you."

"Wait. You k-kill people for a living?" Sudden fear rushed through her once again.

"It's much deeper than that, Kellan. You wouldn't understand why we do what we do."

"You're murderers...w-why are you helping me?"

"We're hired to eliminate a specific target. We don't just randomly kill people off in the streets." Tyler was prepared to shut her down if he had to. "Rome and I work as a team, but we chose his name to draw clients and ring bells. People, of higher rank, know about us, but we choose to keep a low profile...which is why it's coincidental that you ran into him twice. We're known to be the very best, did someone refer you Jink's name for help?"

"N-No. I've never heard of either of you. I ran into Jink by accident the first time, and the second time after I was attacked, I noticed the same street and he just happened to be there again." Her mind began to ponder as well. She found it very strange that Jink is the best at his chosen occupation and she just so happened to run into him twice with a target on her back. "C-Can I ask you another question?"

"Go on," he waved her forward as he leaned back in his chair.

"Why are you two really helping me? You are well known so I can only imagine that you're expensive. I mean, money isn't a problem, I can pay you...it's just, w-why?"

"He had a hunch," simple as that, he admitted. "I really don't know why he decided to help you because his money comes first, but he also never ignores his gut."

"He had a gut feeling about me?" Her face softened and she reminded herself to thank Jink later. "What about you? Do you have a hunch?"

"I do, but it wasn't good at first. Then to make it worse, I found out you've deliberately withheld information about yourself which really angered me. I don't like being lied to."

"And what about now?"

"Now, I'm telling you things you better not repeat." His voice became low and dark again, sending her a clear warning. She nodded. "I suggest you stay focused on the details and stop asking so many questions, too. Your answers will come if you listen and pay attention."

"Be observant, got it." She smiled small at him. "Thank you, Tyler."

"Don't thank me just yet.. Now, go get dressed. We leave in a twenty minutes."

"Where are we going?"

"Questions, Kellan," he reminded.

"Right...sorry."

Kellan sat in the back seat while Tyler sat next to him in the passengers seat. Jink stopped at the red light, resting his left hand on the steering wheel, tapping his thumb on the leather impatiently.

To the right was another car who pulled next to them. There was a young guy in the drivers seat and a female sat next to him. They both had wide smiles on their faces like they were enjoying each other's company, enjoying life period, and Kellan yearned for that— being able to genuinely smile because deep down she is happy.

Kellan admired the couple from the back seat, seeing music played in their car with so much energy flowing freely while she sat in a deafening silence. When the light turned green, Jink sped off causing her head to jerk back a bit and reality to set back in.

Once Jink found a secured parking spot outside the small clinic, he killed the ignition. They all exited the car in silence, Kellan walking closely next to Tyler. After their open, honest conversation she felt more comfortable around him making it easier to trust his true intentions.

Jink opened the door allowing Tyler to go first with Kellan right behind. He made sure to look around and double check for anything or anyone who seemed too close or suspect.

Tyler walked to the front desk and tapped on the counter. "Can you let Brielle Sanders know Tyler is here?"

"Sure thing, sir," the lady replied before picking up the telephone and dialing a number.

Tyler turned and looked at Jink, seeing he was standing at an angle that allowed him to keep his eyes on their surroundings. Kellan stood next to Tyler shifting herself from one foot to another nervously.

"Calm down. You gon' draw attention to yourself," he whispered to her, but she didn't want to hear any of that. Every time she went out into public, she feared her life would be taken at any moment.

The sound of heels clicking against the floor caught Jink's attention. His eyes ran slowly up the shapely woman's body before they set on her pretty face, and an immediate smile formed on her full lips.

"Hey, guys," Brielle greeted looking between the two young men, seeming to overlook Kellan, but she caught a glimpse of her as well. "Follow me."

The high heels on her feet made her ass bounce perfectly in her fitted skirt. Jink rubbed over his facial hair on his chin as he watched intently, his tongue gliding over lips seeing something that he liked.

Brielle closed the door once everyone entered the small private room. She gave Tyler a side hug and when she turned to Jink, a smirk formed on her face. They embraced one another in a full, lengthy hug making the air a little awkward. When Tyler cleared his throat, Jink pulled away from her, and Kellan caught the sight of his hands running over the woman's round bottom.

"I wasn't able to return your call, Ty. I was a little busy, but I did get your voicemail. Is this her?" Brielle spoke, looking over Kellan.

"Yeah, this Kellan Lovell," Tyler said motioning to her.

"Okay, well. I'll go get the materials and I'll be right back," Brielle said locking eyes with Jink. He licked over his lips and watched as she walked out the room.

Once the door closed shut, Tyler smacked his teeth looking over at his cousin. "Nigga, stay focus."

"Huh? What gives you the idea that I'm not?"

"You know what I'm talkin' about."

Jink shrugged. "Nah, I don't know. What you talking 'bout?"

"You know what the fuck I'm talkin' about. We ain't come here for that."

Jink smacked his lips. "Man, whatever. Chill out."

"Nah, you chill out."

"No, you chill out, nigga," Jink replied wearing a hostile expression.

Kellan sat quietly on the paper covering listening to them go back and forth. She wanted to ask questions so bad but she pushed down the urge to, deciding to wait it out for the right moment. She looked over at Jink and he mugged her.

"WHAT?"

"Um, I—"

Jink waved her off quickly, not giving her the opportunity to speak.

"Don't snap on her because you've been called out," Tyler said.

"Called out on what?" Jink chuckled bitterly. "You ain't speaking facts, Ty. Calm down and stop being jealous."

"Jealous of what though?"

Jink mugged them both with his arms crossed as he leaned against the far wall. Brielle walked in with a few things in her hands before setting everything down on the counter near the sink.

"Kelly, if you will come over and have a seat in this chair," she said waving her over just as Jink brushed past Brielle, rubbing himself against her backside as he moved for them to have some room.

"Actually, my name is Kellan," Kellan said lowly taking a seat in the chair.

"Okay then, Kellan," Brielle said offensively.

The moment Kellan's eyes landed on a needle, they grew wide. "Um, excuse me? What's that for?"

"To draw your blood." The rudeness in her dull tone was evident causing Tyler to walk over and place a hand on Kellan's shoulder.

"She just needs to take your blood and swab your mouth for some DNA."

"Is the needle necessary? I'm not good with blood," Kellan confessed.

"It's not gonna' be that bad," Tyler eased caressing her shoulder. Jink looked away from the two and over at the ridiculous poster on the wall.

"You don't understand, Tyler." Kellan shook her head and stood to her feet prepared to deny any needle piercing through her skin. "Blood makes me...faint."

"Then sit your ass down," Jink snapped. "And if you won't, I'm prepared to make you."

Everyone looked over at him. A tingle formed through Brielle's body. One of the very reasons she was attracted to Jink was because of his dominant persona.

"Man, calm down," Tyler said.

"Shut up the fuck up, Ty." Jink walked over and roughly grabbed Kellan's arm, pushing her down in the seat.

She winced of pain. "Stop it! You're hurting me!"

"This has to be done, so you gon' sit here and take it or I'll just knock your ass out and do it that way."

Kellan snatched away from him. Her dark brown eyes glared him down. "My blood is my property. You can't take it without my consent."

Brielle sighed. "She does have a poi—"

Jink retrieved a thick, orange envelope from his back pocket and waved it in Brielle's face. "Unless you want this, I advise you to keep your mouth shut."

"Rome—"

"No!" Kellan refused taking a stand again.

"No?" Jink repeated. The sudden beat to Kellan's heart seemed to take a break when she looked down the barrel of Jink's gun that he carelessly pointed in her face. "You don't have a fucking choice."

"Rome, that's going too far," Tyler snapped. He lifted his hand and moved Jink's gun to the side as he stood in front of the frightened girl.

Brielle shook her head as she watched Tyler nudge Jink out the small room, leaving the girl and her alone. The fear Kellan felt radiated off of her noticeably. As Brielle arranged the materials she glanced over at Kellan and waited.

"Are you hemophobic?"

Kellan nodded her head silently as her body began to shake and tears swell in her eyes. "I don't want to do this."

Brielle sighed a breath of air impatiently. "Just stay calm, relax, and don't look. Though I don't think you actually have much of a choice."

Silently, Kellan began to cry to herself as she shook her head. Brielle wasn't going to force her, but in order to get her job done, Kellan was going to have to mentally prepare herself.

"The needle is only going to be a pinch, and after I draw some blood, I'll hide it away so you won't see it. Is that fair enough?"

Kellan wiped her eyes, but tears still fell as she decided to hold out her arm and turned her head away so she couldn't see what Brielle would be doing. With sanitized hands and gloves on, Brielle pulled out the new needle from the new unopened pack and began. As she adjusted Kellan's arm to find a good vein, she felt how shaky she was.

"I'ma need for you to relax," she voiced. "Breathe slowly."

"O-Okay," Kellan replied with heavy tears running down her face, and Brielle gave her a minute to herself.

Taking a deep breath, Kellan relaxed herself. Brielle took that opportunity to draw some blood, and just as she began, she was done.

"There. Done." Brielle placed on a unicorn decorated bandaid.

The room grew silent and just after Brielle swabbed her mouth, Kellan eyed the girl. She didn't look too much older either and she didn't seem to flinch when she seen Jink draw his gun.

"Do you deal with people who have a hemophobia all the time?"

"Not usually, but it's common for people to freak out over blood and needles," Brielle answered.

"Can I ask you something else?"

The girl sighed. "I don't know nothing. I didn't see nothing."

"But—"

Brielle swung around to face Kellan, wearing a strict expression on her brown face. "And you'll soon learn that that response will save your life one day. Don't ask questions, and don't answer the kind of questions that you'd want to ask others. You do as you're told and go along until you're paid, or target free. Understand?"

As expected, Kellan nodded her head. Brielle's response only told her that she in fact knew what was going on and who Tyler and Jink were.

Standing outside the small room, Jink leaned against the wall eyeing people all over as they passed by him and Tyler.

"You need to chill, my nigga," Tyler spoke. "That girl came to us for help. You can't force her to do anything."

Jink smacked his teeth. "I'm not going to sit around and waste my time helping a broad who just keeps sending us in circles. If she don't want to cooperate then why are we even here, Ty? What are we doing this for?"

"Because you offered to help."

Jink mugged him, kissing his teeth.

"But you have to understand, Rome, you can't just raise your voice and threaten her, and still expect her to cooperate willingly."

The face Jink made towards his cousin wasn't pleasant at all. "Willingly? She doesn't have a fucking choice. It's either cooperate or die, regardless if I threaten her or not."

Tyler sighed a short breath and turned to him. "Can you at least tone it down? Your temper—"

"Worry about focusing on the facts rather than me." Once Jink began to turn to open the door, he turned to face Tyler once again, not quite finished speaking his mind. "Keep your eye on the goal, Ty. Remember once we're done, we'll never see her again."

"Why you telling me that like I don't already know?"

Jink eyed him. "Just focus on the goal."

Before he could turn the knob, Tyler gripped his shoulder. "Don't be assuming shit. I know you, Rome."

"Ay, I'm just saying...and she's only seventeen," Jink reminded.

Tyler wrinkled his face. "Fuck you. I ain't checking that little ass girl."

"You sure? The way you've been handling the situation—"

"Handling?" Tyler repeated with an angry chuckle to follow.

"You've just been very hands on, that's all, cous'," Jink replied, smirking. He always knew when he hit a nerve with someone.

"She's been through a lot, and the way her mom passed couldn't have been easy to deal with on her own. I'm just showing some compassion. You should try it sometime."

The smirk faded from Jink's handsome face. "This ain't a fucking charity case. Get your head in the game, Ty. I'm not gonna' repeat myself."

Then suddenly, Kellan's puffy face appeared at the door and they both turned to look down at her. Brielle came out from behind and nodded to them.

"I'll give you a call when I have the results, and the rest of that information that you wanted."

"Thank you, Bri," Tyler thanked politely. As they all stood there awkwardly, he nudged Jink causing him to hand her the envelope. Tyler held out his arm gesturing Kellan forward. "You ready?"

"I guess so."

"I'll catch up with y'all later," Jink said keeping his eyes on Brielle and her large breasts.

"Nah, nigga. We'll be waiting in the car," Tyler responded shaking his head in disappointment. "So don't even take your time."

A frown sat noticeably on Kellan's face as she walked along side Tyler towards the exit. As they got inside the car, Tyler looked over at her seeing she was still shaken up about what Jink did.

"Don't take what he did too personal. He's just anxious to find out why this hit is on you, and sometimes it can seem like it's his way or no way— but I promise his intentions are good."

"How does he have clients and not scare them off? It's like he intends to intimidate on purpose," she wondered. Tyler chuckled lowly finding what she asked a little amusing.

"Rome is known to be rough around the edges, but he's also known to get shit done." Looking over at her, she gazed out the passenger window quietly. Her hands fumbled in her lap letting Tyler know that she was nervous. Kellan couldn't just sit still, afraid something was going to happen at any given moment. "We're going to find out whose targeting you, Kellan, and end it. Have a little faith."

He nudged her jokingly, seeing her unicorn bandaid on her arm. She chuckled nervously, rubbing her palms over the thighs of her sweat pants. "I know Jink doesn't believe me, but I really don't know what's going on."

"He believes you or he wouldn't have offered his help. The facts are just scrambled, but we'll sort it all out. That's why I had your blood drawn. You're a big piece of this puzzle and all information helps. DNA especially."

Kellan looked over at Tyler with sad eyes. "Do you think there could be some mistake?"

A frown ascended his face. "What do you mean?"

"Like, do you think they could have the wrong person? Maybe whoever is targeting me thinks I'm someone else. There has to be some mistake or misunderstanding." A deep level of sorrow rushed through Kellan as she spoke. Tears threatened to leak onto her face as she stared into Tyler's calm brown eyes.

"I don't think so, Kellan," Tyler replied softly. He hated to bust her bubble because she seemed so innocent and genuinely terrified. "You said those men knew you and Tara's name....this target is on you for a reason."

And so it began— slow tears cascaded down her smooth, chocolate cheeks. Her jaw quivered and her bottom lip sunk into her mouth as she tried to hold back her weeps. Kellan feared he'd say that. Truth is, she knew not to hope, but even the thought of the people coming after her was some mistake wasn't enough to calm her.

Tyler went to soothe her, but paused. She was just a young girl, and she had an unknown hit out on her life, but Tyler knew Jink was right. He needed to keep his mind on the main goal. Kellan was going to feel a lot of emotions these next few weeks, so she mind as well start learning to embrace it because it'll toughen her.

Kellan wiped her face quickly once she noticed Jink walking towards the car. Her feelings were hurt and she was scared out of her mind, but for some reason she didn't want to cry in front of him anymore. She felt like Jink was judging her thinking she's just a young, weak, little girl.

🎯

Enjoying? VOTE.

An update is coming soon... I've actually recently had a death in my family💔 but this app usually helps me escape & take my mind off of real life things😒 as I can get lost in the stories & characters.

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

3M 76.5K 55
Written by Jenny Rosen & Edited/Developmentally Edited by Kristen Maglonzo @kaelking12 Love's a disappearing act, death's an illusion. When Hailey An...
Flowers for you Від DANNE

Детективи / Трилер

15.8K 1.1K 24
All is well in Patty's life until her best friend goes missing. No note. No texts, just got up and was gone the next day. People say she ran off wit...
70 1 9
Kenna Richardson and her father are trying to make ends meet after a tumultuous divorce. She is forced to transfer schools and transform her life aft...
Uncovering Secrets Від EzealaChristine

Детективи / Трилер

289 83 39
Secrets bring silence, silence brings mysteries and any mystery must have someone to uncover it. ***** (Based in 2020) Brianna Thompson is a fourtee...