Manhattan Dreams ✅

By JoshayaShipper4Ever

♡ Joshaya AU ♡ Maya is an aspiring ballerina who is more than ready to start her life at Manhattan School of... More

1. Boys
2. Tipsy
3. Aftermath
4. Girlfriends
5. Morgan
6. Clubbing
7. Break-Up
8. Shock
9. Dating
10. Honesty
11. Skipping
12. Performing
13. Bad
14. Party
15. Preparing
16. Invasion
17. Fighting
18. Desires
19. Frustration
20. Loss
21. Goodbye
22. Overwhelmed
23. Back
24. Drunk
25. Someday
26. Practices
27. Scary
28. Frenemies
29. Chaos
30. Auditions
31. Home
32. Thankful
33. Friday
34. Reality
35. Unplugged
36. Idiots
38. Worries
39. Alone
40. Showbiz
41. Deal
42. Neglect
43. Celebrate
44. Checking
45. Miscommunications
46. Emotions
47. Executives
48. Philly
49. Laughter
50. Promise
51. Squad
52. Last
53. Distance
54. Three
55. Missing
56. Reunited

37. Showcase

1.8K 48 14
By JoshayaShipper4Ever

"I think I need a tutor" Sophie says as she looks down at her science worksheet. I glance over and see the large red F on the front.

"Maya could do it" Josh volunteers making my eyes widen.

"Me? How could I help?"

"Are you serious?" Josh laughs as he grabs my worksheet, holding it up. "You don't even pay attention half the time and yet you're doing better than both of us" he says as he puts the paper back down.

"Could you?" Sophie asks hopefully. "With showcase tomorrow night and our final being in three days I could really use the help." I take my bottom lip between my teeth. I knew the right thing to do would be to help her but like she said; we had the showcase tomorrow and our finals started on Monday morning. I had my dad coming into town and then I had to study too. I had no idea where I'd fit in time to eat and sleep let alone tutor Sophie.

"You know what" I smile. "I have a better idea" I insist as the bell rings. I hurry out of the classroom, scouring the hallway for Max. When his flaming red hair comes into view I rush towards him. "Max" I shout.

"What are you doing? I don't want him to know I'm dumb" Sophie argues but I roll my eyes. The girl could get naked with him but couldn't tell him she was failing science.

"Max" I tap on his shoulder. He turns around and his eyes light up when he sees Sophie.

"Hey" he says brightly before looking down to me. "What's up Maya?"

"You like her right?" I ask, pointing to Sophie. He blushes, nodding his head.

"Just a bit" he admits shyly.

"Great. She needs a science tutor. I have way too much to do already so I can't but I was thinking that maybe-."

"No problem" Max shrugs as he walks up to Sophie. "We can even make it fun" he smirks as he grabs her hand. "See you guys later" he says before he rushes off with Sophie.

"I thought you were getting along with her again" Josh says as he throws his arm across my shoulders while we walk down the hall.

"I am" I argue. "I really am way too busy. My dad wants to hang out while he's in town but I have to study and not to mention eating and sleeping."

"Penelope take a breath" he smiles as he squeezes my shoulder. "Everything will work out."

"But-." I'm interrupted by my phone buzzing in my pocket. I groan as I pull it out and find my dad's name staring back at me. "But I have so much to do" I explain, answering the phone. "Hey dad what's up?"

"I'm here but you're not. Everything okay?"

"I'm so sorry dad" I sigh as I grab Josh's hand and we take off down the hall. "I'll be there in a few minutes. I had to find my friend a tutor."

"Oh um okay. See you soon kiddo."

"Yep" I nod, hanging up my phone.

"Penelope you're gonna pop my arm out of the socket" Josh sighs as he tugs back to try and slow us down. I pause, allowing him to catch up.

"Sorry."

"Yea" he chuckles. "You should be." We walk the rest of the way to my dorm and by the time I make it to my room a very unamused Riley and Lucas are sitting on her bed.

"Sorry I'm late" I apologize more to my friends than my father.

"Josh is here" Shawn points out. "Is he joining us for lunch?"

"What? Oh" I laugh as I look up to my boyfriend. "No he has to go practice for the showcase. I'll see you later though right?" I ask hopefully, gnawing my bottom lip.

"Of course. I love you."

"Love you too" I agree before he pecks my lips and leaves the room. I drop my backpack to the ground and give my dad a polite smile. "Let's get going."

*************************************************************************************

"So are you still not going to tell me about this piece you're doing?" my dad asks as I sip my soda. We had decided to go to Panda Express since it was just off campus and delicious.

"That would be why it's called a surprise" I tease. "You'll love it though. I hope" I add making him chuckle.

"I'm sure I will" he nods. "How have things been otherwise? Classes. Josh. That uh band."

"Classes are fine. I'm a bit worried about finals but I should be fine. Josh is good. Amazing actually. And the band is doing well. Josh actually had an idea of doing an acoustic night and it turned out to be a really good idea. They're hoping it'll open some doors for them."

"So he wants to sing professionally?"

"Yep" I nod. "Singer songwriter" I smile.

"Would you leave MSA if he got a record deal?" my dad asks. I look at him at a loss for words. I wasn't expecting such serious questions.

"Um" I stutter. "I mean my dream is to dance. Hopefully in a company or on Broadway."

"I know that kiddo" he nods, "but would you give that up for him? If it was between breaking up or going with him."

"He'd never make me choose" I insist.

"I never said he would but distance is hard kiddo."

"Can we just not worry about it right now" I shake my head. "He's still right down the road at school."

He nods, picking up his soda and taking a sip. "Consider it dropped."

*************************************************************************************

"I wish that I could wake up with amnesia" I sing as I walk towards Josh's dorm at the end of the night. My dad was finally back at his hotel but my head was spinning. I unlock the door and walk in, finding Josh sitting on his futon playing Uncharted.

"Hey babe" he calls out to me.

"Hey" I reply softly as I pad over to him. "How was rehearsal?"

"Good" he smiles as he pauses his game. He tosses the joystick onto the table and looks over to me. "What about you? You look like you have something on your mind."

I shake my head as I climb on his lap, wrapping my arms around his neck. "I love you."

He chuckles, wrapping his arms around my waist. "I love you too Penelope" he replies. "Is there a reason we're professing our love in such a serious context?"

"My dad just got me thinking of some stuff today" I shake my head. "I got in my head. Again."

"Well stop that" he chuckles. "We're good aren't we?"

"Beyond" I nod. "I just don't want to lose you."

"Impossible" he smiles as he leans forward to press his lips to mine in a soft kiss. "We should get some sleep. The showcase is tomorrow."

"What if I bomb?"

"Yea not gonna happen" he insists, shaking his head. "You're going to be amazing. Trust me."

"Are you gonna tell me about the song you wrote?" I ask hopefully. He smirks as he reaches up to caress my cheek.

"Tomorrow Penelope. You're gonna love it."

*************************************************************************************

"You should stop looking" Riley scolds as she sneaks up behind me. I sigh as I let go of the curtain and turn to face her. It was a full house and I was beyond nervous about falling or missing a step or basically failing. This had to be absolutely perfect.

"There are so many people" I panic, wringing my hands together. Riley gives me a soft smile as she takes her hands in hers.

"You're going to be amazing. Your routine is beautiful and you could every step in your sleep" she insists. "Just dance as if you're alone in the studio getting in an early morning practice before Josh wakes up and drags you back to bed" she adds teasingly. I laugh, rolling my eyes in amusement.

"Thanks Riles" I breathe out.

"Um guys" Sophie panics as she rushes up to us. "Smackle is in the bathroom and it doesn't sound good" she says. Riley and I share a worried glance before we take off towards the bathroom. I push the door open and hear the sound of Smackle groaning.

"Honey you alright?" I call out, wondering which stall she's in.

"No" she calls back. We walk to the third stall and she pulls open the door. "I can't go on. My stomach is in knots and this baby is not helping."

"But it's your gra-."

"Help me get her up" I cut Riley off. She looks at me confused but I shake my head. Smackle was leaving MSA anyway. I wasn't going to force her on stage for one last hurrah. Riley and I each grab one arm and help her up before walking her out of the bathroom. The second the door opens we're met with a concerned looking Farkle.

"What happened?" he asks worriedly.

"Your girlfriend is sick. Wonder why" I add unamused. He looks at her and steps towards her.

"I got her" he insists. I eye him skeptically but he nods. "I'll take care of her" he assures me. I look at Smackle who had regained some color in her cheeks and now had a smile on her face. "You alright?" he asks as he wraps her in his arms.

"I missed you" she cries. He nods as he runs his hands over her back.

"I know. I'm sorry I've been an ass. I should've been here."

Riley and I share a soft smile only to be interrupted by the sound of our dean introducing the showcase. "Farkle can you take her back to the seats?" I ask hopefully. He nods as he hands her a stick of gum before wrapping his arm around her waist.

"I got her" he smiles as he helps her out of backstage. There were a few routines before mine but eventually it's my turn. I step onto the stage and get into position while the first notes of the song play in the background. My body begins to move of it's own accord as the words envelope me. Memories of my mom and my childhood.

Memories of nights spent in the Nighthawk Diner. Memories of the Christmas elf she made up because we didn't have enough money for Santa. Memories of her coming home late and waking me up to eat a tuna melt with her just so we could talk about my day. Memories that I could cherish forever.

The chorus hits and I feel the tears rolling down my face as I continue to move across the stage. By the time the end of the song comes I'm an absolute fountain as I stand in front of the crowd with misty eyes awaiting my fate. After about three seconds of silence I watch as my dad stands up, wiping his eyes as he claps for me. Soon the entire room is on their feet and a laugh of disbelief bubbles out of me.

I look up and smile knowing that she was looking down at me. "I love you mom" I murmur before walking off stage.

*************************************************************************************

While it's frowned upon for students to sneak into the audience I can't help myself as Josh sets up for his song. He had kept me in suspense for weeks and I was absolutely done with it. He sees me as he takes his seat, positioning his guitar and he shoots me a smile.

After another second Max walks out with a keyboard and sets it up, nodding to Josh when he's ready. Josh gives him a nod in return and the song begins to play.

"I love it when you just don't care. I love it when dance like there's nobody there. So when it gets hard don't be afraid. We don't care what them people say."

"I love it when you don't take no. I love it when you do what you want cause you just said so. Let them all go home we out late. We don't care what them people say."

"We don't have to be ordinary. Make your best mistakes. Cause we don't have the time to be sorry so baby be the life of the party."

"I'm telling you to take your shot it might be scary. Hearts are gonna break. Cause we don't have the time to be sorry so baby be the life of the party."

Tears are running down my face as he continues to sing, every single line feeling as if it was written just for me but then again it kind of was. If I wasn't already head over heels in love with Joshua Matthews already then this would've done it.

There was no way I could ever be without him that much was clear now. I was his and he was mine and that was how it was always meant to be.

A/N: Lyrics credit to Shawn Mendes' song Life of the Party

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

175K 4.3K 38
♡ Joshaya AU ♡ Josh Matthews thought he had everything. He became CEO of The Gabriel Foundation, a nonprofit that helps sick kids and their families...
90.1K 2.3K 75
○○○•COMPLETED•○○○ ••• BOOK 2 ••• ○Following Too Young○ Read to follow along Maya and Josh's struggles and adventur...
144K 3.7K 55
Maya Hunter: Maya's life was perfect. She had a family that loved her, a boyfriend who adored her (at least when he wasn't adoring other girls), and...
62K 1.2K 8
Maya and Josh are a couple you'd never think would happen. Maya Hart; Free spirited, rebellious, smart, creative, goofy, troublesome. Broken. Maya...