The Wandering Witch VOL. 2...

By lastwill-

[VOLUME TWO] Following their escape from the Kingdom of Uldard, the uneasy duo of the Snow Witch named Chell... More

A.N.
Story Volumes
11| A Lurking Darkness
12.1| The Kingdom of Gisnell
12.2| The Kingdom of Gisnell
13.1| A Falcon Witch
13.2| A Falcon Witch
13.3| A Falcon Witch
13.4| A Falcon Witch
14.1| Royal Hospitality
14.2| Royal Hospitality
15.1| Royal Hospitality II
15.2| Royal Hospitality II
15.3| Royal Hospitality II
16.1| Growing Unrest
16.3| Growing Unrest
17.1| A Hidden Truth
17.2| A Hidden Truth
17.3| A Hidden Truth
18.1| Sparking a Fire
18.2| Sparking a Fire
18.3| Sparking a Fire
19.1| Sparking a Fire II
19.2| Sparking a Fire II

16.2| Growing Unrest

1.1K 124 13
By lastwill-

--------

In another part of the kingdom, a serious problem was happening.

"This is bad... This is really really bad," Jul declared heavily over the table, her expression dark and serious as she stared at the plate that was laden before her. The bright atmosphere that surrounded them only a moment ago had vanished together with the proclamation of her words.

"I can't...," she whispered, "... I can't eat any more apple pies."

The moment she finished, Noct laughed quietly from the other side of the table, tilting his chair back. Beside Jul, Yoko had a glum look on her face.

"Then just stop eating already," the princess sighed in an exasperated tone. "I thought we were supposed to give them a tour of the kingdom."

"But we are!" Jul wiped her mouth. Her eyes were shining bright once more. "This is only the first stop. Right, Chell?"

Seated in front of her, the Snow Witch responded with a single blink. She had barely touched her own apple pie, no doubt still full from the previous banquet at the palace earlier. Noct could understand. Even he had trouble forcing himself to take a bite of the enticing dessert before him. Right after they had eaten breakfast, Jul had urged the other three into a carriage and asked them to be dropped off in front of an eatery, which even in the early morning was filled to the brim with townspeople. Apparently, Jul announced that they sold the best apple pies in the kingdom. The Crow Thief himself could testify to this after a single taste, though he considered it an absolute shame that he couldn't eat any more than he already had. It seemed ironic to think that only a few days ago, he was starving and yearning for any kind of edible food.

Jul stood up, slapping the table with a wide grin on her face. Then, she reached out and grabbed Chell's wrist, tugging her along. The witch flinched in surprise, eyes looking alarmed. Jul didn't seem to realize this. "Come on! There's a really cool shop I want to show you on the other side of the street. I'm sure you'll like it!"

Chell cast an almost panicked glance at Noct, who shrugged in return. Although he had sworn an oath to protect her from danger, but he had no idea how to deal with this kind of situation. As she was dragged away by Jul outside the opened doors, Yoko sighed in defeat, hanging her head. "I'm so sorry. As I'm very sure you already know, she's always like this."

Noct shook his head, smiling. "Nah, it's okay. As long as the little miss doesn't say it, I believe she's fine with this. I think."

The princess furrowed her brows, her eyes following the two witches who had already made it outside the eatery. Jul was relaying something with ecstatic hand gestures to Chell, whose expression was as blank as ever. To the thief who rarely saw her show emotions throughout their journey together, it almost looked funny to see her at a complete loss for what to do.

Yoko rose from her seat swiftly. "Let's go after them before they disappear."

He nodded in agreement and followed after her. When they got outside, the other two were already on the opposite side of the bustling street, Jul pointing at an item shop that portrayed various tools used for witchcraft. Potions, herbs, and catalysts were displayed from the front windows. Chell seemed reluctant to go inside.

The princess made her way to them, passing through the street. Those who noticed her presence and saw the gleaming chaplet that lay on her head moved to give way in respect, although there were few who cast displeased looks. Noct relatively decided to ignore what he saw. He tugged at his scarf, .

The thief and princess decided to position themselves outside the shop like guardsmen, waiting for Jul and Chell to finish and take their leave. Yoko gazed inside from the window as Noct leaned himself on the wooden post, unconsciously slipping into his habit of looking at the people passing by to. Like this, he could almost imagine that he was back in Uldard again, eager to search through a thick crowd to find any potential victims. The people more or less looked the same, and if he simply changed the lay of the surrounding buildings in his head, he could almost believe he was back in his home kingdom. But of course, things were different now. He had discarded his thieving and had decided to pursue the path of an honest person.

... For the moment, that is.

He blinked, suddenly remembering about what happened between him and the little miss last night. That was the closest he had been to honestly speaking his thoughts to her without having anything to hide underneath his words. He had been surprised with the act. Noct hadn't expected to say what he had said, even though that doubt had always been lurking there at the back of his mind. He had also been surprised with the Snow Witch herself. Something had felt different with her hours ago. It was almost as though she had forgotten to put up her expressionless guard. She seemed weakened and shaken, and frankly, Noct was a little worried. Despite that, he couldn't shake off her answer after he had voiced out the one question he had been wanting to ask.

Vengeance. That was what she had said. There had been a darkness in her luminous silver eyes, an untold story behind that one word. Something had happened to the Snow Witch, something that involved another witch of her kind. Noct was certain that it did not bode well. If that witch was able to evade someone as powerful as the little miss, he could only assume that the other person was of equal strength... or perhaps even stronger.

I guess I'm not the only one who has a bone to pick with another witch, Noct thought quietly.

He still had other burning questions for her, of course. He still had a lot he didn't know about Chell, like the details of her last name and why it seemed so important. Yoko had said the the Vittes were one of the four families. If someone of royal blood was expected to treat a Vitte with utmost respect, then he was certain that was a big deal. But Noct would have to find the right time to ask first.

"You must think that we have ulterior motives, don't you?" Yoko suddenly spoke as she settled beside him, her eyes not peeling away from inside the item shop. The tone she used was one that suggested she had an inkling about Chell and Noct's uncertain response to her adamant invitation to let them stay within the palace.

Noct shook himself of his thoughts and bore a wide smile, glancing at her. He had his own thoughts, of course, but he couldn't just say them casually to a monarch who was next in line within her own kingdom. Even though Yoko had said she wanted to be addressed with familiarity, she was still a princess. He was also certain that at best, his own opinion would hold little to no weight. The Snow Witch was the one making the decisions, not him. That, and the fact that he wouldn't mind living in luxury for a few more days, of course. Not too long ago, it had been any thief's dream to live within the walls of the king.

"Oh no. Not at all, princess," he said. "We're very grateful, in fact."

Yoko was silent, as though she was thinking deeply of something. Her expression was stoic. Moments passed between them. Then, she breathed out and touched the glass with her slender hand, her gaze fixed at the two witches who were still inside.

"You know, Noct... I feel like we're similar, you and I."

He had not expected to hear that. His polite facade broke and he slipped back into his real face. Noct raised an eyebrow amusedly. "Oho. And in what way, may I ask?"

Yoko turned her head to look at Noct, her eyes blue and piercing. It was the gaze of someone who had been bestowed with a lot of responsibility on her shoulders. The gaze of someone who was ready to accept an important task.

"You care for her. And I care for Jul in the same way," she said.

It took him a few seconds to realize that the person she was referring to was Chell. Noct grinned, in spite of himself, and resisted the urge to burst into laughter. "Oh, no no. You might be a little wrong about that, princess. Although it is true that I do concern myself with her, we don't have the connection that you think we do."

Yoko didn't look convinced. She sighed and turned away. "Well... if you say so. But Jul and I... we have... a special bond. It is my fault she is like this. I... I only want her happiness. And now, her happiness is in finally meeting Chell and having the chance of getting to know her. I know this is selfish, but I really do hope you two can stay a little longer... For Jul's sake. Please."

There was a hint of sadness and almost something like regret in her voice that Noct caught. He remained quiet, suddenly wondering what she meant and why she was going to such lengths for Jul. Even though the Falcon Witch constantly caused trouble, the princess clearly still cared a lot for her.

'It is my fault she is like this', Yoko had said.

Noct cast a glance inside. He saw Jul tugging at the Snow Witch's clothes, pointing to something atop the shelf. Her wide grin was a strange contrast to Chell's expressionless face. Then, he noticed the shop owner from the nearby counter, a woman with a deeply troubled expression on her face. She was looking at Jul with uneasiness.

As though that was the trigger, the Crow Thief finally realized something he had overlooked. The reason that Yoko was disliked by her people was because of Jul.

It made sense now that he thought about it. Jul didn't act like she was part of royalty simply because she wasn't, even though she lived together with Yoko in the palace. Noct chided himself for being an idiot and not noticing it sooner. The important clue was already there. Jul's last name was Orben, not Agnis Castagne. Jul was someone from outside royalty, a gifted witch yes, but a mere commoner nevertheless. And yet, she was allowed by Yoko to act without restraint, stealing and causing trouble around the kingdom. This, he understood, was why people seemed to dislike Yoko. As someone of royal blood, such acts were considered disgraceful and unbecoming, especially from one who was about to ascend the throne. A princess was expected to learn grace and proper manners. She was not supposed to be running around the kingdom acting as a guardian of someone who was not part of monarchy. The face of a kingdom, after all, rested on those with bloods that bled blue.

Noct frowned. He was never one to involve himself in political feuds and he never once cared in the slightest back in Uldard. He decided to keep his own opinions about the matter to himself. As long as it did not require his attention, he wouldn't dig any deeper.

The Crow Thief let out a low sigh just as Jul and Chell finally stepped out of the doors. Jul still had that bright, happy grin, followed by Chell's blank, humorless expression.

"Yoko, let's go to Olivia's place next!" she beamed delightedly.

Yoko shook her head in a quiet apology to Chell and sighed in defeat, knowing she wouldn't be able to stop her companion. "Alright... But try to keep your excitement Jul, please."

"Okay!" Jul replied, clearly not listening to a word as she bounced on her feet. The princess's shoulders slumped a little in visible weariness. Noct couldn't help but crack a grin as he saw the scene and quickly wiped it away before anyone could notice. Chell had been looking at him. When he noticed her gaze, he gave her an encouraging nod, enjoying himself. The little miss said nothing. The glint in her eyes, however, seemed to say that she was not feeling the same.

When they began moving down the path, Noct followed after all of them while slightly trailing behind. He kept his eyes locked on the Snow Witch's back and wondered if she had already realized what he had figured out.

Noct rubbed the back of his head, easing his nerves. He hoped that him and the Snow Witch wouldn't get into any more trouble again.

----> thank you for reading!

Q:

Now that a piece of the puzzle has been revealed, what are your theories about Yoko and Jul's relationship?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 336 13
When your boss shows up angry at your door, you know your day is going to suck. When said boss happens to be the local crime lord, it's going to suck...
58K 2.9K 82
Damsels aren't supposed to wield swords, especially ancient swords that will have the blood of thousands spilled across it. ✵✵✵✵✵ Deep in the mountai...
22.4K 3.5K 73
FEATURED ON WATTPAD'S OFFICIAL FANTASY, ROMANCE, MAGIC, STORIES UNDISCOVERED AND SPECULATATIVE FICTION PROFILES. "Rose run!" A voice yelled from all...
3.4K 473 59
~The Elves lost their Magic. The Princess is a Dragon. The Halfling is a Shifter. And Witches rule the Realm.~ Liss' clan lives in a world of seclusi...