Girls Who Dreamt of Castles

بواسطة Seekeroflight

"I know we dreamt of these things, but now it seems like your standards are too high." Adira Archibong wants... المزيد

Introduction & Important note
Dedication
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-one
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-three
Chapter Twenty-four
Chapter Twenty-five
Chapter Twenty-six
Chapter Twenty-seven
Chapter Twenty-eight
Chapter Twenty-nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-one
Chapter Thirty-two
Chapter Thirty-three
Chapter Thirty-four
Chapter Thirty-five
Chapter Thirty-six
Chapter Thirty-seven
Chapter Thirty-eight
Chapter Thirty-eight +
Chapter Thirty-nine
Chapter Fourty
Author's Note
New Story
Check It Out

Chapter Twelve

2.6K 233 4
بواسطة Seekeroflight

         "There is no story that is not true."
                       - Chinua Achebe.

Adira stood at the door for eight long, nerve cracking minutes. She has been knocking for quite a while but no one seemed to be answering.

Indistinctly, she heard sounds coming from the television in the living room. Guessing it was some kind of documentary on animals, she knew her father had to be in there. She knocked again but still, no answer. Livid now, she promised herself that it would be the last knock. She wasn't in the mood for pressure.

The situation she faced was the only reason why she didn't like the idea of visiting her parents. She spent almost half her time at the door trying to get in.

After a moment, Elizabeth; her mother answered the door looking more like a Nigerian mother, with her bright-coloured wrapper and a wide smile.

"Adira!" her mother called cheerfully, grabbing her hand which she yanked away.

"So you heard me knocking since mama and you didn't get the door," she said with a theatrical frown. "I'm not happy with you. So, don't touch me."

Elizabeth shook her head. "Oh, eyen mi. My love, I was in the kitchen," she whispered. "If there's anyone to blame, it's your father. He has been sitting there watching those animals on the telly for hours now. You know how annoying he can get."

Adira laughed as she entered the spacious sitting room. She was still holding her mother's hand when she passed the large table at the corner of the parlour. Her laugh faded slowly as her father turned to look at her. When he caught her eyes, he smiled.

"Adira dear, always with the grand entrance," he said, his face lighting up.

"Daddy!" she called meekly.

In front of him, she knelt down and wrapped her long hands around him, burying her face in his chest. She inhaled deeply, perceiving his warm and placid scent.

"I've missed you, my dear," he said caressing her hair.

"I've missed you too, daddy."

Her father smiled. "Now get up before you start crying," he sniffed. "You know you're too old for that."

She laughed. "Where's David and Grace?"

"Still in school," her father answered.

"By this time?"

Adira consulted her watch and frowned, sitting next to her father on the camelback.

"They are already done for the day," Elizabeth said with a large tray in her hands. "But David should be playing and Grace waiting. My poor child can't come home without her brother," she chuckled, placing the tray on the stool in front of Daniel, her husband.

Elizabeth eyed Adira asking if she would like to eat but she simply shook her head. Daniel didn't touch his food.

"Oh, that's nice," Adira purred and went for the tumbler on the table. It was filled with dark, red liquid.

"Adira, drop it, would you? It's not yours," Daniel said then sighed dramatically, knowing it was no use.

"What is this rubbish?"

"It's Zobo."

Adira hissed. "And I thought it was wine."

"As if your mother will let me drink wine at this age," Daniel scoffed. He stretched and sighed.

"I know how you feel daddy, I know."

They both laughed.

"You may drink it. Feel my agony."

Adira took the tumbler and went back to her seat. There she sipped the juice and chewed it, her eyes resting on the TV. Strangely, it reminded her of where she was, home. It reminded her of when she was little. When she had no problems. She didn't feel like going back to the past because the past had already come to her the moment she entered the house.

The room was surprisingly quiet but in a good way. Everything looked the same; the bright, yellow paint, the brown sofas, and the heavy maroon curtains. Everything was the same.

The animal documentary was still on and Adira couldn't help but smile. It was the same old stuff she used to watch, not that it was the same old one. Growing up, she thought she'd be many things, but the thought of being a vet or a zookeeper lingered the most in her mind.

She fell in love with animals through her father but now, she was a local model who didn't even have a job, yet. Speaking of jobs, her mind went back to when she messaged Benjamin a few days about being ready for the job he had to offer, a decent one certainly. He hasn't texted back and for some reason, it worried her. Her mind might have been wondering too much about work because her father caught her thoughts.

"So, how's work Adira?" he rasped. He had always hated her job. He only asked because it seemed like the right thing to do.

"Well, I would've said fine if there was any work at all."

Daniel arched his eyebrow and smiled. "You got fired?" It was more of a statement than a question because if there was anyone who knew of Adira's stubbornness, it was Daniel.

"No, daddy," she waved her index finger. "I quit."

"But why?" Elizabeth's harmonious voice joined in.

"They weren't paying well," she shook her head, tired of being questioned.

"You could have just been a professor like me," Daniel said.

Adira ignored him.

"So, when are you getting a new job?" her mother asked, worry in her voice.

Before Adira opened her mouth to answer, her phone chimed from the inside of her bag. She held up her hand and smiled, taking the phone out of her bag.

The text message came from Benjamin and it read:
Well, that's good to hear. See me at my office tomorrow.

The message was followed up with his office address.

Adira looked up to her parent with a rictus smile that was slowly but indubitably turning into a grin.

"Matter of fact, I just did."

"Adira!" Grace wailed, running into the arms of her sister for safety.

Adira chuckled. "Why are you running? What happened?"

"It's David," the ten-year-old giggled. She raised her head and smiled. The tiny beads on her hair jiggled as she tried to speak again. "He wants to kill me. I'm too young to die. Help me, please!" she declared dramatically.

Just as his name was mentioned, David appeared. He stood by the door, his eyes searching for Grace. When they landed on her, he smiled then he grinned slowly when he saw Adira sitting in the living room.

"Adira, you're here," he bounced in. He was a little tall and muscular for a boy his age but the innocence in his eyes sold him off. He didn't seem surprised to see her but he was happy.

"And you're not surprised. Come and give me a hug."

"Oh, I can't do that. Big boys don't do hugs. You'd have to go for a handshake."

"Mmbaya!" Elizabeth exclaimed, enjoying the show. Daniel wasn't even watching.

Adira shot him a warning look. He smiled nervously. "But for you, I'll make an exception," he said giving into a warm hug.

"I've missed you, Sisi," David said, receiving a shocked look from Adira. "And you smell nice," he muttered, caressing her chin.

"I knew you'd come today, I knew it!" Grace said cheerfully.

"She told me, that's why I'm not surprised to see you," David said. "I hate to say it but this young girl has superpowers."

"And who told you I was going to come?" Adira asked Grace.

"No one. My eye did that twitching thing at school. I knew something good was coming," Grace replied loftily.

"Okay. Why don't you two go change? After that, we could talk for hours."

"Okay."

"Sounds promising," David proclaimed.

"Oh, good evening daddy. Good evening, mama," they chorused, acknowledging their parent's presence for the first time.

Elizabeth waved and Daniel gave a curt nod. He didn't like it when people greeted him.

Adira, on the other hand, was surprised to see how fast her siblings were growing.

Surprised, that was putting it mildly. She was bewildered.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

I promised a longer chapter, here it is.

What do you guys think of Adira's family? Are they cool or they're just too old school?

Oh, that rhymed. Don't forget to vote and comment. Remember, it keeps me going.

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

194K 7.4K 31
[Book 2 in the Secret series] "That's not what I meant..." I chew on my lip. "Well, what the fuck did you mean then?" He shouts. "When I'm there I d...
59.9K 8.9K 21
[COMPLETED] Spurred by her desperation and an eagerness to be released from the shackles of poverty, Ada finds herself joining a sugar daddy site wit...
109K 14.1K 104
Everyone has that one life changing moment, That moment defines you. It shapes who you are as a person, and pushes you down the path that leads to th...
21.3K 3.1K 60
She felt his warm palm on her wrist and at once she was facing him. Without warning, his lips engulfed hers, setting her on fire just like she did h...