BlackSmith

By Rose_121999

Windmill Farriery and Sons was a family business, running in a small island on the West Coast of England sinc... More

1

2

4 0 0
By Rose_121999

Nan wouldve turned in her grave if she had witnessed father and i doing the horses together. We were much more efficient, and soon i had learnt to examine every part of the hoof, and to rub ointments on horses who had mudfever. I learnt to check frogs for lumps and alert drivers if their horse was going lame. We picked, hosed and towel dried the hooves before i oiled them while father clipped any sharp nails.
Before long, father taught me how to rasp bare hooves, and we were called out to more barefoot horses. Even a few unbroken colts and foals who had developed mudfever i got to do with mere supervision. I began to keep a small rasp and a pot of oil, along with a hoofpick, and i walked to local yards where we had been called out during the earlier day, so i could stop off their on the way home from school. I took to school a pair of jeans and an old tshirts, though to my dismay, i had to wear the compulsory dresses, which i despised. The red and white checkered skirt sewn neatly to a white blouse, probably by Madame Victoria. For my 13th birthday, i got the kind of thick covers worn over jeans, which father had convinced Madame Victoria to make, saying it was for my cousin. They fit me like a glove, with Windmills logo patched on by the lower knee.
Though one thing that did distressed me was how my friends had drifted, i missed staying with Ella and Georgina and the rest of my class out of school. In fact, im pretty sure we hadnt gone out in a month or so. But i had made new friends in the horses i rasped and oiled, as well as fathers gelding, a thoroughbred father named Badger.
The barn was homely enough for any, and plenty enough for me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.7M 87.5K 141
Soon to be Published under GSM Darlene isn't a typical high school student. She always gets in trouble in her previous School in her grandmother's pr...
94K 3.6K 38
แด…ษชแด แด‡ส€ษขแด‡ษดแด›; แด›แด‡ษดแด…ษชษดษข แด›แด ส™แด‡ แด…ษช๊œฐ๊œฐแด‡ส€แด‡ษดแด› แดส€ แด…แด‡แด แด‡สŸแดแด˜ ษชษด แด…ษช๊œฐ๊œฐแด‡ส€แด‡ษดแด› แด…ษชส€แด‡แด„แด›ษชแดษด๊œฑ.
1M 88.9K 39
๐™๐™ช๐™ฃ๐™š ๐™ ๐™ฎ๐™– ๐™ ๐™–๐™ง ๐™™๐™–๐™ก๐™– , ๐™ˆ๐™–๐™ง ๐™œ๐™–๐™ฎ๐™ž ๐™ข๐™–๐™ž ๐™ข๐™ž๐™ฉ ๐™œ๐™–๐™ฎ๐™ž ๐™ข๐™–๐™ž ๐™ƒ๐™ค ๐™œ๐™–๐™ฎ๐™ž ๐™ข๐™–๐™ž...... โ™ก ๐™๐™€๐™๐™„ ๐˜ฟ๐™€๐™€๐™’๐˜ผ๐™‰๐™„ โ™ก Shashwat Rajva...
Riptide By V

Teen Fiction

330K 8.4K 118
In which Delphi Reynolds, daughter of Ryan Reynolds, decides to start acting again. ACHEIVEMENTS: #2- Walker (1000+ stories) #1- Scobell (53 stories)...