Calm The Fire

By Inconvenient_Ideal

It is a little known fact that Thorin had come to dislike the race of elves; but perhaps it hasn't always bee... More

01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
44
45
46
47
48
49
Epilogue.

43

2.6K 116 11
By Inconvenient_Ideal

Standing and looking up at the dark doorway in front of his home, Thorin frowned lightly. Looking behind him he looked to his friends and family. Today was the day that they were returning to the Mountain. As such everyone had agreed to let them be for this; though both Bard and Thranduil said they'd come up later. Even Gandalf and Radagast were contemplating coming up for a visit.

Standing by his side, Dís looked uncertainly from the door to her brother and then back again. "I didn't think it'd look so....ruined." She said quietly. The barricade had been shattered, the doorway was well and truly smashed to pieces from Smaug. The pathway was ground by many feet, though the fallen had been removed from the surroundings.

It was completely different to how Dís remembered it. Yet, she looked up when Thorin put a hand on her shoulder and gave her a smile. "Let's go home, Dís."

"After you by all means then." Dís said while gesturing a hand to the pathway.

With heavy steps, Thorin made his way forward. The last time he'd been here there had been a battle raging outside. Walking through the door, he looked up at the cavernous ceiling and the dark stretching corridors to either side of him. Turning in the foyer he looked back, allowing him to have his moment, the rest of them followed suit and stood in silence in the dark space.

"What do we do first?" Dís asked while looking around. She wrapped her arms around herself. It was so cold in here. She always remembered her home being warm and so full of light. This was so vastly different to her memory. She just hoped that they could make it like it once was.

Thorin sighed and limped forwards, he was heading towards the hall. "We share what we have." He looked over his shoulder. "Keep what is yours. Or what you have declared yours. That which is left over shall be given to those who need it." Thorin said while his voice drew further away and echoed off of the stone walls. Looking at each other, they all walked forwards and followed after him. Walking down the steps, their boots crunched against whatever left over treasure that hadn't been piled up.

Turning and looking over everything, Thorin nodded slowly, they had a lot to sort out. Feeling a hand on his arm, he looked down. Náriel smiled slowly, "You're doing the right thing." She whispered and watched as Glóin and Bifur shuffled past pulling cloth sacks from over their shoulders. They didn't seem wholly pleased or wanting to do this task, but they couldn't contradict.

"They need this...more than we do." Thorin said awkwardly. A part of him was finding parting with the horde still hard.

"We're going to go and check the workshops out." Dwalin said while appearing in front of them with his arms crossed. Beside him Bofur nodded slowly and stuffed his hands in his pockets.

"Alright," Thorin said awkwardly while eyeing his friend up.

With a sigh, Dwalin rolled his eyes. "There might be useful tools down there." He said at length while Thorin and Náriel exchanged a look and then looked to him. They didn't comment they just watched as they walked away.

"Master Baggins," Thorin called out. Bilbo was just wandering around looking about himself. Without a dragon here, or mounds of wealth, most of it had been piled up elsewhere, or even an impending conquest, the atmosphere was vastly different. Bilbo found himself enjoying the peace which came from being here.

"Yes?" Bilbo turned and walked quickly over.

"I must ask you to do one last task, if you wouldn't mind? You may decline if you wish, I'd understand." Thorin said while looking to Bilbo who just blinked and nodded slowly. He looked to Náriel for some sort of hint but even she looked lost over Thorin's words.

"What is it?" Bilbo asked.

Thorin smiled slowly and reached into his inner pocket. Someone had been as kind as to lend him a new change of clothes. They came over from Lake-town, a shirt and pair of trousers and a coat. His friends had also been given clean clothes to change into. It seemed someone had found out that there was a female in the company in need of new clothes too. Náriel had been sent a dress which caused her to smile and accept it humbly. Dark in colour and a little too big, but it was better than what she was wearing.

Pulling out of his pocket was something wrapped in cotton material. He didn't even need to explain what it was. Both Náriel and Bilbo knew it was the Arkenstone. "When did you get this back?" Náriel asked curiously, hesitantly even as she was dreading seeing that jewel ever again, the repercussions of it even being in Thorin's grasp made her feel suddenly cold.

Thorin glanced at her, "This morning your uncle returned it to me. Though now I am giving it to Bilbo to hide."

"You...you what? You're doing what now? No, Thorin, I couldn't...I mean..." Bilbo trailed off and coughed awkwardly when Thorin just looked at him blankly. He held out his hand and put the Arkenstone in Bilbo's grasp.

"Take it, Bilbo. Take it and hide it somewhere I will never find it. Be that in the highest peaks, to the deepest pits. Just hide it and do not tell a soul." Thorin said seriously while looking at Bilbo. He twitched his nose and gave a slow nod while readjusting his grip on the package in his hands.

"Now?" Bilbo commented after a moments silence.

"If you wouldn't mind," Thorin replied while watching as Bilbo gave a nod and quickly turned to run off.

Náriel raised an eyebrow and looked up at him. "Why did he return it?"

Thorin put an arm around her shoulders. "I'm not sure, he never really said. It was a little strange actually." Thorin said while moving forwards and pulling her with him. "But he returned it along with Orcrist."

Náriel double took, "I never knew he kept that."

Thorin laughed. "An elven sword of old and you thought your uncle wouldn't keep it?"

Náriel mused over this and nodded, he had a point. "At least he returned it." She said thoughtfully while looking up at him. Thorin just nodded and kissed her gently on the top of her head before moving off to help his friends.

Looking at Dís as she suddenly appeared, Náriel moved forwards. "What's with that look?"

"It's all the same. Everything. Nothing has changed." Dís said quietly while looking to her. Náriel smiled and held out her hand. Dís reached up and placed her hand in Náriel's. Tugging her gently forward, the two walked through the hall. The floor was finally viewable, smooth carven stone, dark yet gleaming in the low light of the torches that someone had lit. "When do you think we can move back in?" Dís asked while looking to Náriel. She stopped walking and looked to her, "You are staying, right?" Dís asked worriedly.

Náriel smiled. "I don't think you can get rid of me that easily."

Dís shook her head and sighed. "I thought that the first time and you went!"

Náriel frowned and wagged a finger at her. "Now, Dís...that was a different time." Dís just pouted and crossed her arms. "I'm staying, for good."

"Excellent!" Dís exclaimed and linked her arm with one of Náriel's and led her forwards again.

Being presented with sacks of gold, jewels and precious items, it was needless to say that both Thranduil and Bard were a little taken back. They expected something, but not something like this. There were dozens of sacks, behind them stood Thorin who just crossed his arms and gave a slow nod. "These I give to you both. Use it however you like. Rebuild your city," he looked to Bard who just slowly nodded. "And use it for...something." He looked to Thranduil. He had no clue what the Elvenking planed to do with the treasure share which he was being given. "I hope that by giving these to you we can forget what has passed." Thorin paused, "And I also hope that this can be the start of a peaceful future."

Thranduil and Bard looked at each other and then at Thorin. Admittedly neither of them had ever seen Thorin so humble. It was strange to them. "This shall prove useful for buying the things we need for rebuilding Lake-town and Dale." Bard said while stepping forwards and holding out his hand. "Thank you."

Thorin just nodded and shook the hand which Bard held out to him. Thranduil just inclined his head. That was as much as a thank you as Thorin was going to receive. Though the thought of suddenly being so friendly with Thranduil was something which caused Thorin to look uncertain. "If that is all, please excuse me." Thorin smiled and bowed his head before turning and walking out of the camp. Balin looked up at him with a light smile, Thorin stopped in front of him. Looking around, he looked back to Balin with a confused expression. "What is it?" Thorin asked at last.

"Nothing, I'm just watching the forging of future comrades." Balin smiled and turned to potter off. He picked up the baggage he had and looked back at Thorin. "You coming, lad? Or have you decided you don't want to move back into Erebor?" Balin laughed and continued on his way as Thorin, much like himself and everyone else, picked up some luggage which was either in his tent or given to him and moved after his friend.

Even from the pathway Thorin could easily see Náriel and Dís trying to clear the doorway. Though Dwalin seemed to be doing most of the shifting. Both females found they weren't too good at moving large pieces of rock. Though even Dwalin had help from Glóin, these two had opted to stay here and help the females while everyone else returned to the camp to get what they needed to move back into the Mountain. "How'd it go?" Náriel asked while readjusting her rolled up sleeves.

"You didn't start any arguments did you?" Dís asked worriedly.

Thorin looked from one to the other and lowered the sacking he was carrying. "It went well. And no, Dís, I didn't."

"I had faith you wouldn't." She beamed and took to trying to order Dwalin around. When he looked at her bluntly, she just laughed and rocked on her heels.

"I've been thinking," Náriel said while clapping her hands together, dust flew off of her palms.

Thorin looked hesitant. "Oh...should I be concerned?"

"No."

"Then I like the sound of your thoughts already." He laughed and moved past her.

Náriel smiled at Balin as she quickly ran past him to catch up with Thorin. "Banquet." He looked at her as she spoke the simple word. "A celebration. A welcome home. A..." Náriel trailed off when Thorin stopped walking and turned to look at her.

"Banquet?" Bombur suddenly popped up. "That's a brilliant idea!"

"Someone mention a banquet?" Someone else piped up, it soon appeared to be Bofur as he rounded a corner.

"Banquet, when and where?" Óin looked about confused.

Thorin looked to her, she smiled. "Sorry." She apologised when she realised there was no way he could decline now considering everyone had picked up on it and seemed more than excited about the prospect of a proper meal, let alone a banquet.

So the company spent most of the day cleaning Erebor. Or at least the rooms which would be used. There was no great hurry to clean rooms like the library or the guard rooms. Though Thorin did instruct some of the dwarves which had come from Dale to help to be warned. He hadn't ventured back into the western guard room, not since the face off with Smaug. Dís being her typical curious self had asked where and why all these dwarves were going to the same place.

Thorin had kept her away explaining that there was a massive build up of debris. Which was true, but she didn't need to know about all their kin lying in that room. It was hard enough for him to see let alone his little sister. He didn't wish to inflict that on her, so he sent her away to go find Náriel. If there was one person who was good at keep Dís's attention, it was her; and sure enough their laughter could soon be heard. Putting his trust in Dain, he moved off and stopped suddenly at a doorway. The room beyond was lit with few torches which were on the walls, but even still the orange flames illuminated the room.

Hearing a quiet cough, he looked over his shoulder. "Have you sat on your throne yet, sire?" Náriel joked yet her tone held some seriousness within it.

"No," Thorin answered while looking away and then to the throne. "Wait, where's Dís?" He asked suddenly worried. If left alone she would go and see what Dain and the other dwarves were up to. She just never listened, she always did the exact opposite; that was his sister in a nutshell.

Náriel smiled and put a hand on his arm gently. "Would you believe with her sons?" Thorin blinked and nodded slowly. "She's fussing over them. It's quite sweet really, I never imagined her to be so motherly." Pausing she gave a shrug, "But then I did only know her as a little girl."

"Are you perhaps reminiscing?" Thorin smirked and cast a look at the throne before turning away.

Náriel sighed. "Sit," she said firmly while crossing her arms, Thorin turned and looked at her. "Don't look at me like that. This is your birthright, remember? You were bound to sit on this throne eventually. Just, you've had a little trouble before doing so."

Thorin moved slowly into the room, he looked to the stark stone chair in front of him. Doing a full circuit of the throne, he looked back at her. "I often thought what it'd be like, you know?"

"You never cheekily sat in it without your grandfather knowing?" Náriel smiled as she walked into the room and stood at the base of it.

"Did you ever sit on your uncle's throne without him knowing?" He asked curiously and quietly while looking down at her.

"Perhaps, when I was young." Náriel whispered.

Thorin raised an eyebrow. "No, admittedly. Dís was forever climbing about on it much to our grandfather's amusement. Frerin would tell her to get down and she'd just childishly argue with him."

"All the while you'd just stand by and watch."

"You know me too well."

"I'd like to think so," Náriel crossed her arms and gave a nod. Giving a sigh, Thorin moved up the stairs that led to the seat. Turning and looking down at her, Thorin slowly sat down. "So?"

"It's not particularly comfortable."

Náriel laughed and pushed her hair over her shoulder. "Come on, sire, we do have a hall to prepare." She said while half turning and nodding towards the door. Leaning back, Thorin looked to the ceiling and sighed quietly. It was a strange perspective sitting here, he had stood many a time by his grandfather's side, but that differed from actually being in the seat. Náriel stood and watched him, "Do you want a few minutes?" She asked when a deep concentrated expression flitted onto his face.

Shaking his head slowly, he drummed his fingers on the stone arms and pushed himself up. "No, it's fine. Come on, you said something about preparations?" Holding out a hand, he entwined his fingers with hers when she placed her hand in his.

"I've just had a thought."

"Yet again should I be concerned?"

"Well it's just, there's three armies, or what remains of them, people from Lake-town and then us."

"Yes?"

"That's a lot of people."

"Getting subconscious around the thought of so many people?" He laughed and suffered a playful shove. Though this caused him to suddenly wince in pain, through it all he was still healing. Though not in as much pain as he once was, he still had times where pain niggled at him.

"Sorry! I am sorry...I didn't think..." Náriel said while jumping to walk in front of him, only moving backwards.

"I'm fine," Thorin smiled and put his hands on her shoulders and turned her around and nudged her back into the hall where everyone was milling about getting everything prepared. "So, what's bothering you about all these people attending?"

"I don't think we'll have enough of everything." Náriel said while looking over her shoulder. By everything she literally meant everything. Food, drink, seats, tables, lights, everything.

Thorin seemed to suddenly understand, he let out a thoughtful noise and looked around. "We'll manage." He said surely, Náriel raised an eyebrow at him yet smiled slowly and gave a nod. She could accept that, so she chose not to answer or contradict his words.

Sitting in a well sunlit room, Náriel looked up at the healer in front of her. She busied herself around, crushing herbs in a bowl and adding water when needed. Slowly but surely the camp had been taken down. Those who were still making a living up there had slowly moved back down to Lake-town. Though in truth this wasn't an easy place to try and temporarily live; Lake-town was still in a sorry state. Though most of the rubble had been moved aside and disposed of and the bridges were starting to get rebuilt, the buildings which had been worse hit by Smaug were being rebuilt and steadied by scaffolding.

Needless to say, Náriel was not alone with being taken to Lake-town. The rest of her friends had been too. Bilbo seemed more than happy to leave the desolate land surrounding the Lonely Mountain. Though when his feet touched solid ground and he stood back in Lake-town he wasn't too sure which he would rather temporarily stay in.

While the company were over in Lake-town so was Bard who had given the treasure which Thorin presented to him for the sake of the ruined town to the Master. The Master in turn looked greedily upon the shining content of the sack which resulted in Bard rolling his eyes and turning away. He moved to his home and was greeted by his children who had been with a family friend. But upon hearing their father returning they'd returned to their home to greet him.

"What's your name?" Náriel asked eventually. The silence of the building was getting to her. The woman kept looking at her and then to the herbs and then back again.

"Greta."

"Do you need help, Greta?" Náriel asked while leaning back in the chair she was sitting in.

"No, no, I'm fine." Greta smiled and walked slowly over. Putting the bowl of crushed herb paste on the table, she looked to Náriel, she just warily smiled. The woman before her was nervous. For some odd reason Náriel wasn't sure of. She was just like any other of the injured. Nothing different and no one in need of special attention.

Hearing a knock on the door, Greta paused in cutting away at the bandage on Náriel's hand to turn and see the door open. "Do you mind?" Greta asked politely.

"I think she means; Thorin, can I help you?" Náriel teased and laughed at Greta's expression.

"No," Thorin replied and walked in, he shut the door behind himself and sat down next to Náriel. Greta looked from one to the other and shook her head slowly.

"Greta, just...continue as if he's not here. He's just being nosey." Náriel grinned and suffered a glare being sent her way by Thorin. She smiled and reached up to put a hand against his cheek. "Worried?"

"Curious," He said though he did look worried. He didn't know of the extent of her injuries. He had yet to have his bandages changed. But upon hearing Náriel's were being taken off, he couldn't help but walk through the ruined streets to find the small house which was being used by one of the healers.

Greta coughed awkwardly, they both looked up at the confused woman. "May I?" She lifted up the scissors and got a nod from Náriel. Holding her hand out on the table, she watched as the bandages were cut away. Greta pushed the bandages away from her hands. Picking up a soft wad of material she placed it in the bowl of water and carefully took to cleaning the cut.

Thorin peered over Náriel's arm to look at her hand, a pierced mark was all that remained. Pink and still sore looking, but it was closed. He looked up at Greta as she hummed, he looked to Náriel as she raised an eyebrow. "What is it?" He asked. He didn't understand the confused looks which flitted over both female's faces.

"Nothing, nothing honestly." Greta said while reaching for some clean bandages.

Thorin frowned, he didn't believe her. Turning to Náriel he looked at her seriously. "It's healed quickly." Náriel explained to him with a smile.

"And that causes confusion how?"

"I've seen similar injuries." Greta answered instead of Náriel. Thorin looked up at her waiting for her to continue. "And they've not looked as clean."

"Were these injuries on men?" Greta looked confused over Thorin's question.

"Well, yes."

Thorin looked to Náriel. "I think I can presume and say that elves may heal differently to mortal men." This if anything caused Greta to fluster and look even more confused.

"You didn't honestly realise?" Náriel asked, the poor woman just shook her head and quickly bandaged her hand up. Thorin and Náriel exchanged a worried look, "I am short." Náriel mumbled and hung her head. "I am easily mistaken for anything but an elf." Náriel looked up at Greta as she took to moving things aside and leaning down in front of her. "How many of the injured have you treated, Greta?"

"Too many," she replied and put a finger under Náriel's chin to tilt her head to the side.

"What bought you here?" Náriel asked as she looked to Thorin, Greta had turned her face in his direction.

"We need things for Erebor. I also wished to see what had become of Esgaroth." Thorin replied while quickly looking to the healed cut on her neck. Reaching up when Greta had turned away, he placed a finger to the healed cut. Slowly and gently he ran it along the jagged pinkish purple healing mark. It was something that was going to be with her for the rest of her life. Thorin looked up confused when she giggled. Her head tilted and as an instinct her head twitched and closed over his hand. "I'm sorry, Princess, did that tickle?" Thorin smirked when she opened her eyes and slowly moved. "Apologies." He smiled when she just shot him a look.

"Princess?!"

"Greta!" Náriel exclaimed. "I've only known you for a few moments and I have to say you are either oblivious, or silly, or you're just not well informed." Náriel smiled and paused. Gesturing her hand to the side she looked at the dwarf and then at Greta. "Thorin, King Under the Mountain, Náriel, Princess of Mirkwood. Now please, I do not mean to nag, or pester, but can you finish changing my bandages now?" Náriel asked while gesturing a hand to herself and then sighing up at Greta.

"What supplies do you need?" Náriel asked while looking about her. Lake-town was in full swing of trying to pick itself up and continue on. People were helping each other and those who were not working up in Dale and Erebor were down here helping out. It made her smile, peace. Peace through war; civil coexisting. Thorin looked at her curiously when he had replied to her question and just received silence. When he looked to her, he saw the content happy expression on her face. Crossing his arms, he decided to just leave her to her moment. Hearing a sigh, he looked to her. "I like this." She proclaimed.

He raised an eyebrow and looked about them, Lake-town was still rather demolished. "This specifically?" He asked which caused her to laugh and shake her head.

"Everyone getting along," she replied quietly. "Your kin working alongside men, and my kin aiding where they can." She gave a nod, "Do you think this would still happen if everything that had happened hadn't?"

Thorin raised an eyebrow at her riddle like ramble. "No," He replied. He doubted it very much. Náriel looked rather saddened by his blatant dismissive retort. "I think without any hesitation that Mirkwood would have dealings with Lake-town. Where Erebor would stand on this, I'm not sure."

Looking into another small building they exchanged a look and leaned against the windowsill. "Problems?" Náriel asked while Fíli and Kíli frowned. They looked from their mother to them and then back again.

"Dís," Thorin said lowly. "Stop fretting."

"Do I look like I'm fretting?" Dís crossed her arms and looked to her brother, Thorin looked thoughtful.

"You are making this harder than it needs to be." Tauriel spoke, she was in the space with the healer. One dealt with one brother while the other dealt with the other.

Dís looked up at Tauriel with wide eyes. "Excuse me?"

"Dís, I think what Tauriel meant was-" Náriel started.

"No, fine. Fine. You are free to see to them."

"Dís...Tauriel meant no offence. She just meant that your fussing is making this whole experience harder than it needs to be." Náriel said while watching as Dís moved out of the building.

"Fussing." Dís frowned. "They're my sons I can fret and fuss all I like! Even if they don't like it and I get told otherwise." She huffed and walked out. "Have you even tried broaching the subject of bandage changes with him?" Dís pointed a finger at Thorin. "Good luck." With that she turned and walked off.

"I think we upset her." Kíli looked to Fíli who hung his head and nodded.

"Mothers are meant to act like that." Náriel said, "She's worried you're more hurt than she thought, I think."

"She'll come around, you know her." Thorin said while putting his hands on Náriel's shoulders and pulling her away.

"So! Bandages-"

"Say no more." Thorin held a hand up to silence her.

Náriel frowned, "It's been three days, almost four. Someone needs to see how you're healing. What if there's infection? What if your wounds aren't closing? Someone needs to see." Náriel said quietly and somewhat pleadingly.

Thorin rolled his eyes and stopped walking. "I'm fine."

"You're scared, I get it, I was scared too. I thought I'd be in pain, but I wasn't, Greta was most gentle." Náriel said with a nod.

"Scared." Thorin mused with a frown. Out of all words he picked up on that.

Náriel slowly smiled and looked up at him. "Smaug and Azog don't compare, I know." Náriel continued on her joking and teasing. Much to Thorin's displeasure as his eyes narrowed down at her. "Come," she put a hand on his arm and gently directed him back to the building where Greta was. Though when they returned Greta wasn't there and it wasn't in use. Rolling her eyes, she pointed to the seat. "Sit," picking up the medical supplies which were left in here, she took to rummaging about. Finding what she needed, she happily turned to the table and placed everything on it. Frowning suddenly, she crossed her arms. "There are, I believe...only so many ways I can say this." Náriel said awkwardly, Thorin looked up at her and nodded slowly. Heaving a sigh, she hung her head, uncrossing her arms, she rolled a hand at him. "Take off your shirt." She said quietly and somewhat embarrassedly.

Thorin leaned forwards and smirked. "Oh Princess, you do not beat around the subject, do you?"

"Shh," came the whispered response.

"Well I'm merely saying the truth." Thorin smirked. Perhaps he was getting a little too much enjoyment out of teasing her, but regardless he stiffly did as he was asked.

Sitting down on a seat in front of him, she shook her head sadly. There was very little skin, just all bandages; around his shoulders, his arms, his chest to his waist, he was covered in them. Reaching out, she placed a hand over his chest and shook her head sadly again. Though she could now feel a steady firm heartbeat, that didn't mean that she could bury her worry for what was underneath the bandages.

"You can just go get someone else. You yourself don't need to do this." Thorin's voice pulled her from her thoughts, she looked up at him and frowned lightly. Carefully reaching out, she took to removing the bandages around his arm.

Oddly enough, whoever did this seemed to go a little overboard. There were cuts and scratches, but they were relatively minor, most had healed. What bruising there was was now practically healed skin; a few patches of purple and dark blue remained. But he definitely didn't need bandaging back up, his other arm was in much the same condition.

Leaning back, she gave a hum, "You're a fast healer, it seems." Náriel said while turning to the table. Placing soft gauze in the bowl of water, she then carefully reached out and cleaned the few wounds which remained.

"Why is it," Thorin said while looking at the ceiling and then her. "That you always become a personal healer?"

Náriel smiled, "Maybe because I know how you'd react to the actual healers?" She laughed, she could almost imagine the unwavering looks Thorin would send their way while they were trying to do their work. They'd surely become uncomfortable under the gaze of the dwarf-King and slip up somehow. This if anything would prompt Thorin to comment plainly.

"Sit forwards," she nodded and cut away at the bandages around his torso. She winced at the sight of many puncture marks; the arrows, she frowned at the memory, there seemed so many. Putting a finger gently over his collarbone she winced. "How did you survive this?" She questioned honestly. "How?" She whispered while looking at the other puncture marks and cuts which adorned him. Frowning suddenly she trailed her fingers gently over his ribs. "These are from that warg." She said with a shake of her head. It seemed like so long ago, longer than it was, when they were chased from Goblin Town and Azog had chased them. When Thorin had gone to attack him he had found himself in the jaws of a warg, the injury had healed but the teeth marks remained.

There were other marks which had long since healed which caused her to tilt her head to the side. "How did you get these?" She asked truly baffled over some such healed marks.

"Azanulbizar." Thorin replied while subconsciously giving a shudder. Náriel looked up thinking her fingers had accidentally skimmed over a wound. Though in truth it was the opposite, her feathery touch was rather affecting, despite him trying to ignore the soft touches, he couldn't.

Náriel didn't know what to reply, so she took to cleaning the injuries which were on his chest and stomach. He looked at the green paste which she carefully placed on her fingers. He presumed it was the same thing she'd used ages ago after Azog's attack after Goblin Town. Even still he couldn't help but be sceptical.

He looked up at her as she stood, brushing her hair over her shoulder, she smiled. "Turn," he frowned yet did so. Swinging his legs over the side of the chair he looked over his shoulder when he felt her gently move his hair out of the way of any dressings which remained.

He just looked to the wall opposite. Yet he looked back over his shoulder when he felt her rest her forehead against it. "Are you all right?" He questioned which caused her to laugh lowly and shake her head.

"I am confused how someone can have so much inflicted on them and yet live." She peeked over his shoulder and smiled. "I think at long last I am putting my trust in the resilience of dwarves." She said while resting her chin gently on his shoulder and carefully wrapping her arms around his middle, making sure to avoid any healing wounds.

"After so many years," Thorin commented with a smirk while receiving a playful nudge. Laughing quietly, he looked over his shoulder.

"After so many years is better than never at all, right?" Náriel asked while quickly kissing him on the cheek before withdrawing and dealing with the wounds which were on his back. She winced slightly at the sight of a puncture mark which was on his shoulder blade. Bigger than an arrow she guessed it was a spear, he had an arrow mark on his other shoulder which she recalled him getting all too well. "Do you think Erebor will be habitable when we return?" Náriel thought she'd strike up a conversation, not that she was disliking the silence; it was comfortable and content.

Thorin watched as she leaned past him to clutch onto some clean bandages. He had to think over her question. By now there was quite a big number of dwarves busying around the Lonely Mountain. Each were in little groups working on certain sections. These were just a small number from the large mass which Dain bought with him. Though Dain was no doubt still in the Mountain helping out.

When he didn't reply, Náriel just continued to bandage up the wounds which needed them. Moving around him, she stood cross armed. He looked up at her when she just waved his shirt back at him. Standing up, he took it from her hands and slowly pulled it on. Thorin raised an eyebrow and slowly smirked. "Do you like what you see, Princess?" He asked when he couldn't help but catch the looks she was sending his way.

Náriel held out a hand and waved it uncertainly. "Hm...so-so." She answered and laughed at the bemused expression which she was countered with. Náriel only seemed to laugh more when he shook his head after her words had sunk in. Reaching out, she wrapped her arms around him, only where he hadn't got around to buttoning the shirt back up her hands went underneath the material and gently rested against his back. "If I answer honestly am I likely to boost your ego?"

"I don't have an ego," he replied bluntly while putting his arms around her.

Náriel rolled her eyes and leaned her head against his shoulder. Lifting her head up, she looked to the wall from over his shoulder. "Always have done." She whispered in his ear while smiling when he gently nudged his head against hers and ended up resting in the crook of her neck.

Having a sudden knock on the door, the two slowly pulled away from each other and turned to look. Greta's curious face peeked in. "May I come in? There are others who need to use this space." She asked worriedly. The two exchanged a look and smiled at the woman, she seemed so timid. Yet so straight forward at the same time. Buttoning up his shirt, Thorin linked his arm around Náriel's waist and led her out, both smiled at Greta as they passed.

Reedited: 6/Nov/2023

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5K 229 34
Thorin Oakenshield has a guardian angel of sorts, only he doesn't know it. Yet. After breaking up a fight between Thorin and another man, Seren Gilw...
1.3K 101 33
Maybe there always wasn't such a disdain and hate between the race of Elves and Dwarves. Edith is Elrond's niece both her parents were deceased; her...
Save Us By Agnes

Fanfiction

2.3K 52 28
She was an elf, an elvish princess driven by a sense of duty. When a letter arrived, she set off for Greenwood, and when a wizard spoke to her about...
11.8K 455 50
It is as though Ilwien seeks out trouble with the hope that, among it, she might find adventure, too. But one day, it is a dwarf they call Thorin Oak...