Magic Revealed

By KindredCoffee

Starting at the beginning of Season 4, Lancelot and Merlin manage to close the rift without a sacrifice. With... More

Under Your Nose
Fireside
At Your Mercy
Merlin's Tale
The Prince and The Warlock
Give Me Back My Wallet
The Future of Albion
Long Live The King
Magic Is Not Evil
Merlin You Idiot
My King
Stuff To Do
Shut Up Gwaine
Dragonlord
Thank You For Everything
Hunting
Creating and Maintaining
Future
King of Legend
Something Like That
A Bit Drunk
Author Message (Not a chapter)
Isn't That The Truth
Goodnight My Lord
King's Orders
Merlin Himself
Wait
Poison
Short and Sweet
Quite Alright
Gold Eyes
Intruder
Authors Note (Not A Chapter)
Starting Out
No Answer
A Bit Quiet
For The Love of Camelot
Lyra Heldin
I Got Tagged
Illusion
Returning To Camelot
Sachi
Nor Would I

Returning Home

15.6K 575 120
By KindredCoffee

After their meeting with Morgana, they decided that she, Mordred, and a few others would be returning home with them to Camelot. So two days later, they rode out, and made the trip in two days.

Morgana took back her old chambers in the east wing while Mordred was made a knight. The other two sorcerers that came, settled into Merlin room. Merlin himself was told to move into the servants quarters that we're connected to Arthur's rooms.

"How long has this been here?!" Merlin complained when Arthur showed it to him. The doors had been hidden behind a tapestries in the hallway and in Arthur's own room. "Do you know how much time this world have saved me!"

Arthur rolled his eyes, "At first it was because I honestly thought you we going to drive me crazy or leave. And then it was because you were working for Gaius, but now that he has Quell, and Semor he's fine."

Merlin rolled his eyes and dropped his stuff on the bed. Arthur took the Magic books that Merlin had been keeping in his room and put them on a shelf for the warlock.

This room were much more spacious than his previous one. It had a desk, a bed, a dresser and a closet, and two bookshelves. Merlin began setting things out on the shelves and desks while flicking his hand to his cloths, magically hanging them up or folding them before putting them away. Arthur watched in facination as Merlin organized everything. "I've always wondered, why don't you clean like this all the time?" He wondered.

Merlin set a bottle of something on a shelf, "Because I just don't. Random displays like that just aren't my thing. And you shouldn't use magic for everything. Doing something with your hands increases your thinking skills and relaxes your mind. So I don't mind working with my hands for simple things. "

Arthur frowned, "I guess that makes sense."

Merlin took out something from his bag and placed in a desk drawer before whispering something. Arthur saw his eyes glow. "What's that?"

Merlin frowned, "Personal stuff."

Arthur frowned, "Hm." He'd never known Merlin to be sentimental. The only thing he'd ever seen Merlin keep as sentiment was the little wood dragon that he'd received from his father.

Merlin looked at his desk for a long moment before turning back to Arthur. "Thank you for all this."

Arthur rolled his eyes, "It wasn't any trouble."

"Arthur, I'm not stupid. All this furniture is almost new and was just brought in here."

Arthur blinked, "How'd you know?" He asked.

"There's no dust or scratches." Merlin pointed out. Arthur sighed, "The stuff in here was old and hadn't seen daylight in years and so I had replaced.

Merlin smiled and put a hand on Arthur's shoulder, "Thank you. Now believe you have a meeting with your advisors."

Arthur groaned, "Do I have to?"

Merlin laughed, "I ask myself that every single day."

°°°

"Merlin!" Arthur yelled when he walked into his room later that day to find that the servant was sitting on his window sill looking at the dark courtyard. When Arthur had first tried calling his name he got no response until he yelled.

The warlock looked surprised and gave a start, "What?"

"You were staring of into space." Arthur said, "Are you okay?"

Merlin nodded and Arthur punched his arm, "Cheer up. By the way, Morgana wants to talk to you."

Merlin frowned, "Why?"

The king shrugged, "I don't know." He said, "She was looking for you." Merlin sighed and got up, "Better see what she needs."

Arthur frowned, "Are you sure you're okay Merlin?" The warlock shifted as Arthur put a hand on his shoulder. He looked conflicted for a moment before answering, "I don't know. There is something odd magic wise in Camelot. I noticed it this morning but it's only gotten stronger."

Arthur thought about this, "Maybe this is why Morgana wants to speak with you."

Merlin nodded, "Possibly." He smiled, "I'll go see. You need anything?"

Arthur shook his head, "I'm fine for now Merlin. Just doing paperwork."

°°°

Merlin found Morgana in her rooms, "Arthur said you wanted to talk to me?"

Morgana whirled around to find Merlin in her doorway. "Merlin! You scared me!"

"Sorry." Merlin said smiling weakly.

"I was wondering if you felt that same strange presence in Camelot that I've been feeling?" Morgana said cautiously.

"I have." Merlin agreed. "It is beginning to worry me but hasn't seem to approach the castle or act out violently so I am only watching it for now."

Morgana sighed, "That's good. Mordred had noticed it as well though I don't believe Quell and Senor have. Then again, Mordred is stronger than both of them combined."

Merlin smiled, "He'd be a very talented sorcerer with some practice. Though it looks like he's going to keep with the knight training."

Morgana shrugged, "There's no reason he can't do both. And I'm sure you could teach him quiet a bit."

Merlin frowned, "I'm not sure. Magic seems different for me than it is for others. It comes naturally to me."

Morgana smiled, "Even if that is the case, you could still point him in the right direction." Merlin thought about this, "Perhaps. If he asks I'll do what I can."

She looked pleased, "Thank you Merlin. For everything."

He looked confused, "Of course, My Lady."

"Goodness Merlin, Morgana's fine. I thought you'd know that by now." He shrugged, "Goodnight Morgana."

"Goodnight Merlin. See you tomorrow."

With that Merlin exited the room and made his way back to Arthur's. When he entered the king looked up from his table where he had a quill in one hand and a peice of bread in the other. "everything okay?"

Merlin nodded and sat down with the King, "She has felt the strange presence as well. She told me that Mordred did too but didn't know what to make of it."

Arthur thought about this, "I take it you're trying to figure out the source."

Merlin nodded, "It hasn't approached the citadel and hasn't gotten stronger or done anything of concern. So for now I'm keeping track of where it is going."

Arthur nodded, "Tomorrow you should take Mordred and Lancelot and go see if you can find it. I doubt you would be this preoccupied about it if you weren't concerned."

Merlin nodded, "It's not like anything I've felt before. Which is strange. I'm pretty well versed in many different types of magic."

Arthur looked down at his papers. "Well I doubt you've seen it all."

Merlin nodded, "That's true. What are you working on?" The king groaned, "Trade arrangements with the new King of Zalor to the South. He's not happy with how we tax apparently."

Merlin thought about this, "Well, the taxing system is actually pretty efficient while still being fair."

"Precisely!" Arthur complained, "Which I'm trying to explain."

Merlin read the letter upside-down. "It's fine so far. Just make it clear that you won't change it just to fit his needs. It's the people who come first."

Arthur nodded slowly and then he wrote something else. Merlin smiled as he read it and nodded, "That's good." He approved.

Arthur rolled his eyes. "I'm the king Merlin, I think I know what I'm doing."

"Thinking you know and actually knowing are two different things." Merlin shot back. Arthur scowled and threw a piece of bread at Merlin. "Shut up, Merlin.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20K 725 20
Arthur Pendragon has always trusted his father's opinion of sorcery. He has witnessed, first hand, the atrocities Camelot's enemies could commit with...
55.7K 1.8K 10
After Merlin intercepts a potion meant for Arthur, he develops a strange reaction which Arthur finds himself liking more than he should. How will he...
29.2K 935 42
Once more Magdelena is faced with challenges of love and loss. She may overcome them but she certainly won't be alone with a love-struck Arthur and h...
55.5K 1.7K 12
The battle of Camlann took many lives, including the Queen of Camelot. As everyone trying getting their lives back to normal, The Knights Of The Roun...