Summoners: The Awakening

By JudithLaszlo

Ralley's sister Melanie is kidnapped by a frightening stranger and dragged through a dark portal into another... More

Summoners: The Awakening

105 0 2
By JudithLaszlo

Chapter 1 

Demon Xenopus

      Brek arrived at the massive doors to the summoning hall, cradling his sack of filched goods and taking great pains not to make any sound that would wake his master. Crouching on his left shoulder was the gray, leather-skinned imp that had appeared at his window but three nights ago, promising him the very thing that he most desired. "It all begins this night." The imp's squeaky voice whispered into his ear. "No longer will you be just an apprentice!" 

       "Yes! You will make me the Grand Summoner!" Hesitating for only a moment, Brek applied his weight to the right side of the heavy double doors; the one he knew would make less complaint. He slipped inside and pressed his back against the door, wincing as it gave a short groan when it closed. Brek hurried forward into the massive room with its domed ceiling looming high over his head, the only sound was the echo of his leather boots across the midnight blue tiles. He passed between a set of pillars that lined the circular hall, each one displaying elaborate dragons, fairies, unicorns, and other such magical beasts carved into its surface. It was as if they were all staring down at him and he felt a pang of guilt.  

      Since the day he turned sixteen, Brek had felt strongly that he should perform a summoning himself. That day had come and gone and his master, the Grand Summoner Estat, had shown no indication that he would allow him to do so. Then the imp had come, calling himself Ecnair and explaining to him that he could help Brek achieve all he desired. He had not wanted to trust the imp at first, but the strange creature convinced him of the truth. That his master had not felt he was ready, and only wished him to remain as he was, a simple apprentice forced to clean the many rooms of this great tower and labor over other dull tasks. His only reward was hours of difficult studies. He often felt alone and overworked. He deserved more than that, Ecnair had declared.  

      Nearing the middle of the room Brek came upon the first of five braziers. He paused to rummage in the sack, fishing out a flask of lamp oil, a torch, and some flint and steel, using the latter to ignite the oil-soaked torch. After a moment it flared to life and he snatched it up, dipping it into the prepared basin. The oil and coal set fire allowing Brek to see the other four braziers, all five marking the tips of a giant star within a circle carved into the floor. He proceeded to set flame to each one, then returned to the sack, extracting the rest of the stolen tools that he would need to perform the delicate process. 

      "Tonight you become the King of Demons!" the imp piped. "No more waiting, no more pointless lessons. You have learned all you need know from him. You will be the most powerful summoner in all Asatiria!"  

      Fueled by the imp's words, Brek worked faster, pulling a red candle and a roll of parchment from the sack and placing the candle in the center of the star. He unrolled the delicate parchment, examining his own rough sketches of the intricate symbols used to summon the demons his master called the Amarill. "I copied these symbols from my master's book as you instructed." He said, recalling the plans that Ecnair and himself had made. They would call up a strong Amarill and with it; run Estat from the tower, making it his own. Then he could do as he pleased, perhaps making himself rich as a king and able to have servants. He would never have to clean another cobweb again. Maybe he could even marry any princess of his choice from any kingdom he pleased? The imp had assured him that by having such powerful beings under his own control, these things could be easily accomplished. Ecnair's only stipulation was that he would be allowed riches of his own and that was more than fair. 

      "Good, good," the imp cooed. "And did you find a proper and powerful subject to summon?" 

      Brek's eyes fell on one of the symbols on the page that resembled a large serpent with bullhorns. "Yes, it's called Malstraun." He spoke the name slowly and the imp cocked its head. "He is the one who speaks often with my master." Brek had never seen Malstraun in its true monstrous form. It had most often come to his master in a human form. The thought of using Malstraun against his master was much too compelling.  

      "Hurry then! We are wasting time!" the imp coaxed. 

      Brek rolled the parchment and tucked it under one arm. He then lowered the torch to the candle, lighting it and chanting in the mystic language of magic that Master Estat had taught him. The flame of the candle flickered and danced in response to his strange words, turning from a soft yellow to an angry crimson. Brek straightened from his crouching position and lowered his torch to the crimson flame of the candle, chanting once again as the torch came in contact with the flame; like a hungry tiger, it consumed the yellow glow until the torch's blaze was as crimson as its own. Pausing to smile in triumph, Brek turned and lowered the reddened torch to touch the etching of the star on the floor. The indent ignited and spread throughout the entire symbol, even the flames in the braziers succumbed to the fierce ruby glow and became matching flares feeding the entire room with their light. Throwing his torch out of the huge circle Brek returned his attention to the rolled parchment and a chunk of soapstone chalk that he fished from a pocket in his robe. Stepping over the continuously burning lines he knelt in the blank space at the top of the star. There he drew the symbol representing Malstraun upon the smooth tile, but his hand was trembling and he paused from the symbol to shake it, jostling the imp. 

      "What are you doing fool?" The imp growled. "Your symbols are sloppy, are you sure you are doing it right?" 

      Brek continued the drawing. "Of course it is right," He snapped. "I copied it exactly!" It was true his master's hand was steady and eloquent, far outrivaling his own skill, but he had reminded Brek that with constant practice he could become so himself. He had spent a full turn of the hourglass practicing it just last night on his spare parchment. Standing, he nodded at the finished product, satisfied that it would do its job. Next he crossed over the lines, entering the space in the right arm of the star. There he scrawled a new symbol, one that would lure Malstraun to the portal from wherever he resided. Continuing around to the legs in the star he made symbols for binding, controlling and the gateway. These symbols came easily to him, as they were the symbols Master Estat had first taught him and had required him to practice often, which was tedious and dull. The final symbol, placed in the remaining arm of the star, represented Malstraun's weakness, the most important tool to containing its power. Replacing the chalk into his apprentice robe pocket, Brek backed out of the symbol, its carved lines still burning with red flames. The imp wrung his tiny-clawed hands, happy with Brek's work. He too was pleased. Master had never allowed him to practice the summoning himself, but permitted him to watch as he summoned some of the lesser creatures from other planes of existence. 

      "Is it ready then?" Ecnair's voice was eager and its body leaned forward.  

      "Yes, I must now recite the spell." He glanced at the grand doors over his shoulder, a tinge of nervousness and fear of what he was about to do. Then he examined the words written on the bottom of the parchment and turned to face the glowing star. In his most authoritative voice he spoke the final incantations of the spell. The drawn chalk symbols took on their own strange crimson glow and quivered slightly. Was this exactly how Estat's summoning had worked? He recalled the symbols taking on a life of their own, or did he imagine that? As he finished the incantations he waited anxiously for the results, his eyes darting from the door and back. 

      "What's taking so long?" grumbled the imp as it examined the symbols.  

      "I don't know..." But he had an inkling that the symbols were wrong somehow, perhaps he could fix it? How? Before he could think of what to do, the entire room shook with a loud rumble and a pillar of crimson and gold light erupted from the etched star, stretching to the ceiling high above and forming angry red clouds. Brek jumped back, his eyes locked on the glowing pillars base, ready to behold his new pet Malstraun. This was not how it went with his master, was it still going to work? There came a noise like the rumbling of many carriages along a cobbled road. Two deep green tentacles swept their way out of the boundaries of the pillar of light, causing the crimson and gold to dissolve into smoke. Once the haze cleared it revealed a truly frightening reptilian beast that towered above him almost 15 feet. Its head was almost lizard like, with large eyes, the pupils black as onyx. Its neck nearly as thick as its body, the thin front legs ended in long clawed fingers and its hind legs folded under its thick shiny torso like a frog. The tentacles grew from its back and acted like an extra set of arms moving about as if searching for prey. Was this Malstraun's true form? 

      The creature's eyes oriented on Brek and he backed away a few steps. It studied him and he prayed that the binding symbol was working properly.  

      "And what do I have here?" The demons voice was deep, sinister. It echoed through the hall with a haunting effect. As it spoke the demon turned within the circle to get a better look at Brek. "A mere pathetic human?" 

      "Y.... you are not the one!" Brek stammered, taking a few more paces back. This could not be him, for Malstraun knew of Brek. "You are not the one I wanted! How can this be? Who are you?"  

      "Not the one?" Spoke the demon in a rather bored tone. "I dare say if you were trying to summon a specific demon, you should not have drawn your symbols so sloppily. And as for who I am, I am called Xenopus."  

      "What does it matter? This one is as good as any is it not?" The imp flexed his leathery bat wings. "He will serve our purpose well enough." 

      The demon smiled in a far too pleasant way, revealing a set of shining sharp teeth. Brek stepped back again coming against one of the room's pillars, fearful of this creature that was not Malstraun. At that moment one of the double doors was shoved open and striding confidently into the room came a tall man wearing a dark blue robe, though his long hair was white, he was barely past his twenty-fourth year. Though he was young, his features held a kind of wisdom attained by years of dedicated study. Brek cowered as he drew even with him and stopped, for it was his master, the Grand Summoner Estat.  

      "What is the meaning of this Brek?" Estat's gaze snapped about, his stern eyes upon him and his commanding voice caused him to flinch. Never had Brek seen the normally calm and collected man so angry. "Do you realize what you have done?" His eyes flitting briefly to the demon then back to Brek. "I strictly forbade you to summon because of..." His sentence broke off and Brek realized he had caught sight of the little imp. 

      "He's too late! You can command the demon!" The imp whispered. 

      "Estat! I...I..." He looked from Xenopus and back to his mentor. Command the demon? Then he'd done it! He took new courage as the imp's words took hold. "I no longer need to study from you! Look what I have summoned," He stepped away from the pillar and waved a hand at Xenopus. "A great and powerful demon no doubt. And here you have said I was not ready!" 

      "Fool!" Estat spat , "That is a being of evil! You made a foolish mistake in your symbols and have created a gateway of access for any demon to cross!" 

      Xenopus' demonic chuckle made the very walls quiver. "Don't listen to him Brek, you did well in summoning me, I shall make all your dreams come true. I am under your complete and utter command."  

      "Truly?" Breks' eyes widened in amazement, "Then I have done it! I will become the Grand Summoner!"  

      "Don't listen to that rubbish!" Estat faced the demon. "He speaks lies to you so as to gain your trust and use you for his own ambitions."  

      "I will give you anything you wish. Forget being Grand Summoner, what about Emperor of this land? With my help, you can have it all."  

      Brek smiled as he realized the power he held, the demon's power.  

      Estat must have realized this as well for his features grew stern. "You are a fool, and so too am I, for believing I could teach you what I know. It would seem I made a great error in my judgment of your character." As he spoke he strode forward his features showing no fear. 

      "I am not a fool! I am Brek the Grand Summoner, and.... soon to be the Emperor of the entire kingdom!" He called back. He could feel his world growing even now, the things he could do, the riches he could possess!  

      "Quickly! You must not let Estat reverse the spell!" the imp cried. 

      "Stop him!" Brek commanded of the demon without thinking. 

      Estat had opened his mouth to speak, slipping his hand into a pocket of his robe just as Xenopus opened his enormous mouth. A great ball of white-hot light gathered there and shot like the bolt of a crossbow towards Estat, who abandoned his words and instead withdrew and flung a tiny red marble from his pocket. It struck the side of the pillar and burst into tiny shards of glass. The sphere of ivory hit Estat square in the chest and he was thrown back through the open door of the hall from whence he had come.  

      "Well my master," purred Xenopus "now we shall begin your plans to rule over all." 

      Brek could feel his eyes grow wide as he stared at the doors of the hall. Had it killed Estat? Was that what he wanted? He hesitated, wondering if he should go to him, but then the demon's words caused him to tear his gaze away from the doors "Well, yes, I suppose we should but...." He lifted his gaze to Xenopus, intimidated and fearful of him once again. The demon must have realized this too and without a word his form shrank down until it was only a head or so taller than Brek. Then with a swirling of green smoke, he reformed his shape into that of a human. He retained a greenish tint to his skin, the ever-moving tentacles upon his back and his short hair held the dark green color along with some elaborate clothing. Though he still towered over him, Brek's fear diminished and his hopes and dreams, all the steps he had planned when this moment came, returned to his thoughts. What did it matter if Estat were dead or alive? He could have anyone he wished at his side, to keep him company, someone who could even love him.  

      "First I want a princess." He said quickly, his mind fixing around the part of his new life that would make him most happy.  

      "A princess? What kind of request is that? Surely you should be thinking about how you will overthrow the current Emperor of this land." Xenopus said airily.  

      "Later," he said, new confidence rising within him. "Right now, I want a bride, an otherworldly princess! Yes that's it, a woman born of another world. All will be in awe over my abilities, my power, even the Empress at my side!" His excitement grew. Oh what great things he would do! 

      Xenopus let out a sigh of boredom. "Very well master, an other worldly princess you shall have." 

      He was almost surprised to hear the demon accept this task, but why not? He was its master; he held its power almost as if it were now his own! Brek began to pace about the floor, imagining what his new bride would look like. The imp upon his shoulder remained quiet and he wondered if perhaps it was simply contemplating their next move. It did want its riches, but that could wait. After all, such things took time right? "Do be sure she is beautiful." Brek added as an afterthought.  

      "Of course lord, nothing but the best for you. I shall go and retrieve you a beauty beyond the realms of this world." With a wave of his hand, and the tentacles about his back dancing in unison, a dark tear appeared in the air beside him and in the next moment Xenopus had stepped through the rift and was gone.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

190M 4.5M 100
[COMPLETE][EDITING] Ace Hernandez, the Mafia King, known as the Devil. Sofia Diaz, known as an angel. The two are arranged to be married, forced by...
55.1M 1.8M 66
Henley agrees to pretend to date millionaire Bennett Calloway for a fee, falling in love as she wonders - how is he involved in her brother's false c...
43.6M 1.3M 37
"You are mine," He murmured across my skin. He inhaled my scent deeply and kissed the mark he gave me. I shuddered as he lightly nipped it. "Danny, y...
146K 9.3K 43
Elizabeth has been ruling her kingdom for 3 years now. She's gone through countless advisors in those 3 years. When she's finally ready to give up on...