The Sheikh's Fantasy Girl - C...

By JanVanEngen

Andie May can't believe when her agent calls and tells her, her best selling book has been picked up to be ma... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty - Six
Chapter Twenty Seven

Chapter Fifteen

10.2K 528 22
By JanVanEngen

Andie shook her head, nodded, and then shrugged. "I hope I'm wrong, Shihab. You have no idea how I need it to be wrong." His thumb stroked across her cheek.

"We need to look at all the scenarios, Andrea. A good actor can pull an accent."

"Much harder over a phone, surely? It was a female that is all I know, pretending to be me. It has to be someone back at home. I told you I was a mess."

"You have a reason to be." She reached out towards him and he shifted, so she could snuggle up against his side, cocooned in his enfolding arm. She placed a hand on his chest that felt so good. "No matter what you think, I am always here for you," she looked up at him. "Things are happening in my life I have no control over, and can't explain. Trust me Andrea that is all I ask."

She took a deep breath. "I want to, but I'm all over the place emotionally, and I hate it. I write it but don't live it for myself. I prefer the quiet life."

From behind he fingered her hair, something she had missed, scalp tingling. "I think you have been hiding behind your writing, Andrea. You need to feel, need to express yourself." She stared up at him, amazed. So close to the truth, she was emotional and needed to control herself. "What if it wasn't someone you know? What if it was some sort of joke?"

Her eyes widened, startled. "Are you saying, someone here could have done this to me, for a joke? A joke! Why? Why me?" She clamped a hand over her mouth, pulling out of his arms. "Because of us! I knew it was a mistake."

"Us? What about us? There is no us, is there," he said in a disgruntled tone.

She gulped, suddenly jittery, fiddling with her top. "I mean not as a couple, but a connection. Always talking. You told them I had free range, and they hated it."

His brows furrowed down. "That is so stupid. Because of others, you have distanced yourself from me?"

"I had to work with these people and they saw other things, Shihab. I like you, really I do, and we get on so well, but they hated it. I can't do this," she shifted to stand.

He looked at her in disbelief. "So you let others decide what you can do or who you see?"

She shifted uncomfortably. "I wanted to apologise for my accusation. It was so wrong. I was in the wrong and had to fix it. Thank you for the card. I need to go," she walked out before he could even try to stop her. 

He didn't even try. Instead, he let her go.

After a long bath and changing into her usual writer's garb, she sat on the bed, chewing on a pen. That hadn't exactly gone to plan. She had no idea if he forgave her or not. And he was correct. She was pathetic.

Before her parent's death, when she was home full time, writing, her sibling always thought she was free to collect their kids. Run around paying their bills, because they were so busy, and she was twiddling her thumbs, doing nothing important. 

In the end, she said no. 

Had to think of herself for once, and was turned against, called selfish. A waster that she couldn't even help her own family. She had locked herself away and concentrated on her first book.

A knock on the door had Andie pull on a dressing gown and went to answer, finding Shihab leaning against the wall near her door, arms crossed. "Did you really put the basket together yourself? Hand-picked all the items also?"

She chewed on her bottom lip. "I'm sorry if it isn't what you like. I'm sure they can be exchanged."

Tiredly he ran a hand through his hair. "Tell me, Andrea, when had it happened that everything I say or do, you misjudge, when you used to trust me?"

She blinked at him, unable to answer that question. "I owed you an apology and wanted to do it properly, not just a basket they could do. What would be the point?" Heat flushed her cheeks. "I did have help," she confessed.

"Yes, I know. A personal shopper, however, you chose everything yourself. I wanted to thank you, and you have exquisite taste."

"Actually," she leaned against the door, relief washing over her, "don't you mean you do? I hope you like what I got. I haven't brought a gift like that for a man before."

"It was a thoughtful gift, Andrea. One I deeply appreciate. Also, I want you to travel with me and Miles tomorrow. It's important," he rushed in when she was about to protest.

"As you wish." He straightened; she also straightened, holding onto the door's edge. "Was that all?"

He seemed reluctant to leave, reaching out to brush loose hair from her face, warming all over at his touch. She had missed it. He stepped in closer, eyes hooded, watching her. "Friends?"

She took a deep breath, if that was all that was on offer, she nodded. "Friends," she agreed. He leaned in closer, placing his lips on her forehead.

"Good, I'd collect you at six for breakfast," before she could protest, he was striding away, hands in pocket, whistling. 

Smiling, she closed the door, hopped back on the bed and began writing.

Turning points. It was about time.

Breakfast turned out to be with Shihab and Miles. Shihab didn't collect her as planned, phoning her. He was caught up with calls and would join her, the table was booked. She had been up for hours, spending the time looking for just the right outfit. 

Classy, yet not seductive. 

Not she had anything like that so settled for her white long skirt and matching top with a brown belt that rested on her hips. A favourite of Shihab's and hers. She had seen the approval in his eyes of it, the last time she had worn it. 

Modest, yet very feminine.

Taking a seat between the two men, she greeted them both warmly, and thankfully they were alone. She didn't dare bring up the blond. Hopefully sleeping in. Miles reached across and covered her hand on the table, and gently squeezed, though didn't linger. "Sorry about what happened."

"Not your fault," she reassured.

Shihab gave her a quick sideways glance. Her shoulders sank, lowering her gaze. "It had been fixed, thanks to Shihab, well, not the bank, of course, until I get back. None of my money was touched, some sort of joke I guess," she added, not wanting to bring up her family history.

Miles frowned. "I hope not, however, it had been brought to my attention, a dark-headed woman had been hanging around your tent when you weren't there." She frowned thoughtfully, tucking hair behind her ear, keeping it down for now.

"Hanging around? Who?" 

Could it be a stranger that had caused this, not her family? Then again, did she want someone from the set doing this to her either? No, she was caught between two nightmares. A stranger was out there to get her, or her family. 

Suddenly she had a target on her back, searching out Shihab with her eyes.

He reached out and rubbed her back, leaning in, as did Miles. So did Andie, three heads together. "Maybe someone got information from her handbag," Miles suggested. Shihab's hand spread across her back, making her feel better. "You do have a driver's licence, bank cards? The movie business is very competitive."

"But why me? I'm a nobody."

"Andrea," Shihab hissed. She flashed a warning glare at him.

"Don't worry, I gather it's your real name," Miles said softly. "I'm not going to tell anyone," he promised, "but if someone had gathered your personal belongings, they also know," he pointed out.

She searched out Shihab, who nodded seriously. "Damn," she swore.

"Who has your passport?" She pointed at Shihab. "Shihab has it?"

"Shihab is my sponsor," she defended. "Passports have nothing to do with banks, my licence would," she said thoughtfully, softly. "You said dark?" She asked again, disappointed then felt mean. She can't blame the blond for all her troubles.

"Hmm, but that is all, no real description. Dark clothes, dark hair, wearing one of those black full gown things."

"Burqa?" Andie suggested and was nodded at. "No, that can't be right, was it a full head covering?" He shook his head. "Abaya." She searched out Shihab with her eyes. She hadn't seen anyone wearing one around on set. "How?"

"We have some in costumes since we are coming up to the bedouin scenes," Miles informed them.

"That would explain it unless they left the headpiece off, it could be just the dress part they wore called a Jilbāb." Shihab nodded thoughtfully. "I think you should have someone with you at all times."

She looked up at him, startled. "Do you think that is necessary? Wouldn't it be better to watch my tent? That is where they got to my stuff."

"Yes, well, you did all of a sudden stopped using it," Shihab noted dryly. She arched a brow, crossing her arms. He leaned in closer and whispered against her ear. "I know where you were at all times."

"Isn't that a bit stalk-like behaviour Shihab?"

"No, just keeping an eye on you. You're my responsibility Andrea and always have been."

Releasing her arms, she reached out and squeezed his, warming all over. "There's no need Shihab."

"Yes, there is, when you keep putting yourself in danger." She looked at him, startled, and then nodded, seeing now how dangerous it was to enter the desert by herself. He covered her hand and squeezed.

"Next time, take me with you, I would always see to your needs." She nodded.

After finishing off their breakfast and coming to an agreement over a plan, they headed off on their way to the set, Shihab seated next to Andie, and they just talked quietly in the back seat.

Shihab clasped her hand, holding her gaze. "We are going to get to the bottom of this," he promised.

"And if it's....."

"Then I will deal with it," his fingers curled around her hand. It felt so good to have his touch back that she leaned against his arm. His other hand came up and cradled her head in his hand and placed a kiss on top of her head. "No one would ever hurt you again," he vowed.

"No one can promise that Shihab," she sighed because she knew about the pain that came out of the blue that smashed one's world wide open. Perhaps it was time to heal old wounds because they don't ever go away.

Once on set, Shihab kept Andie at his side, holding her hand, and giving her hope. Maybe there was something between them; however, she must stay grounded. Keep her head out of the clouds. It wasn't one of her books. 

Miles nearby was like having two bodyguards, feeling very protected. She was upset about the power cord because it had interfered with her work. The card business, well that was just plain scary. They had her details. 

Her hold on Shihab's hand tightened.

He glanced down. "What is wrong, habibti?" She relaxed. 

Beloved. He called her beloved in his language.

"Later, not here," she wanted to be alone with him. 

Andie trusted him more than anyone else, not she had acted like it, she realised with shame. If it hadn't been for the blond, she would never have suspected him of anything. Not that she did, more of a reaction from finding the cord in his wastepaper basket. Before then it never entered her head that he could have taken the power cord. 

He hadn't, but someone had gone to a lot of trouble to frame him. 

She needed to think with her head. Keep her emotions out of it.

Before they started shooting that day, a meeting was called with everyone. Miles got the word out. They all gathered together, and Andie was amazed at how big a film crew was. Miles waved down the chatter to silence. 

"Before we start today, we need to make a few things clear. All pranks and jokes need to stop. We aren't saying, what happened, actually come from here. I hope not, because there would be severe consequences, if I find out anyone of you were involved in what happened to one of my most valued members of my crew, Andie," he stepped down from a box, he had stood on, and Shihab helped up a very nervous Andie, who hated speaking in front of people. 

She gave a nervous cough. She didn't do speeches or lead sessions with her peers in a large group. Shihab stood at her side as she requested, needing him near for moral support and she had Miles also.

"All I have to say is, that someone rang my bank, and cancelled my cards. All of them, so I have no credit or money. If it was a joke, let me tell you, it's not funny!" Her voice rose in stress and then coughed. 

Shihab squeezed her hand. 

A shock ripple went through the group.

Levi stepped forward, looking far from happy, and concerned. "No one would do that, yes, we do play pranks on each other, but we would never do that to anyone. We," he pointed at himself and everyone around, "wouldn't do such a thing."

She smiled down at him. "I want to believe that, but you have no idea how this has affected me. My bank is in Australia, so I can't do anything until I go back. Yes, my accommodation, food and needs are seen to, but it's so invasive. I can't do anything. I have no money, so I am stuck." Everyone looked at her horrified. Every single person whispering between each other. "A joke is a joke, but this is beyond that," she added as she was told. She took a deep breath. "It looks like I have to go back, and sort it out."

"No!" Levi and Kathie denied it in unison. "We need you, we will get you through this," Levi promised, turning to his co-star, both nodding. "You're too important to us." 

They all agreed, nodding in earnest. Andie felt relieved, looking at Shihab, who helped her down and stepped in front of the box, he waved everyone down at the rumbling through the crowd.

"Good to hear, however, I'm telling you here and now, if I find out who the culprit is and I will, they would be instantly dismissed and charged. I will not be as generous as Miss May. I will make sure of it. I will not tolerate such behaviour. I hope none of you has betrayed my belief in you. If you have, be prepared, because I won't let my wrath rest."

Andie stepped up to his side, placing a hand on his arm. "If it was a prank, let us know, and it won't be so severe, but if we find out alone, and you didn't tell us, I won't hold him back. I can destroy you, put you through all sorts of hell that you wish you were dead, but will live in hell forever." As in her book, but they don't need to know that.

"Anyone who doesn't want to be delivered into her hands, I would suggest you see us quietly afterwards." Shihab looked down at her under his lashes, smiling. They broke off and went back to work, shaking their heads in disbelief. Shihab crossed his arms as he watched the departing group. "I don't believe anyone here did it."

"Same here," she sighed, relieved but also worried.

"I feel sorry for them," Shihab whispered.

She looked up at him, startled, blinking. "How so?" She asked.

"Like you could do far worse than me," he laughed. "You even scared me, never peeve off a writer; you'd end up dead in her new book." He got her, thrilled.

"Actually, I did say in hell forever. I would never kill them off, just live in a living nightmare instead."

"Damned, forever in a living hell."

"Yeah," she agreed with delight. "But never you," she promised. "I can redeem you," she laughed.

"In your dreams, sweetheart. Anyway, I have not done anything wrong." 

Only broken her heart on many occasions, although he had no way of knowing that.

"Yes, I know, we are yet to find fault."

He glanced down, seriously. "I think you find fault Andrea, I just wish, I knew what."

Ashamed, she lowered her head. "We all have faults. I have many. You...well, you're not at fault," she realised that now. 

How she felt wasn't his fault.

He eyed her closely. "Whatever you're thinking Andrea May forget it. Perhaps you do have a far too active imagination, and you need someone to tow it in."

"Really?" She blinked at him. "Do you have someone in mind?"

"I do." Shihab waved over his man, who headed towards him. "Jal would take you back."

"But I'm needed here," Andie protested.

"And you have been through a terrible ordeal. Jal's going to help you remove all your belongings and move into my suite. There is the spare bedroom," he pointed out before she could argue, placing hands on her shoulder, gathering her against him, lowering his head, lowering his voice. "Miles agrees, you need time to just relax, write, hang around the pool, whatever you want to do."

Closing her eyes, she placed a hand against his chest. A whole day writing, not that she wouldn't love to do that, putting it all behind her, she doubted that she could. Then to move in with him, that could be a different matter altogether.

"What is everyone going to think?" She chewed on her bottom lip.

"Andrea, it is all about your protection, and I don't give a damn what others think."

She peered up with troubled eyes. "You mightn't, but I do."

Andie could see him struggling but slowly nodded. "How about I move you closer to my suite, so I am close at hand?"

She nodded. He reached for his phone, calling management while holding her against him. Something she was going to enjoy while it lasted. The blond had to be lurking somewhere. Oh, she'd be so happy about her new arrangement, she thought not. He hung up, and she looked up as his eyes lowered down. "Organised, the suite next to mine."

Her lips parted, closed and looked away, the question close to her lips. She closed her eyes and bit the bullet. "What about, you know who?"

His hold tightened around her. "Not your problem, she won't be back until tonight. She had gone to Dubai, shopping."

"I guess that's one way to keep her out of my hair," she noted dryly.

"Andrea," he warned gently.

She twitched her nose. "Okay, I get it, play nicely."

"Yes, well, dropping her in camel dung isn't very nice."

She couldn't help chuckling. "I did enjoy myself on that one; she was driving me nuts with her waffling on nonstop. Doesn't she ever shut up? My head can't handle all that noise."

He stepped closer, resting a hand on her hip. "Really? And here I thought it had more to do with the little green monster." 

Her eyes widened and tried to look at him innocently, then eyes narrowed.

"Of who? Her? I don't think so." 

Liar. Liar. Liar. 

That woman had his attention, of course, she was jealous. He brushed soft hair back from her face, brushing his leg against hers and she wasn't moving away, enjoying the heat that she had missed.

"You have nothing to be jealous of, my love," he reassured. Her heart rejoiced. She wanted to believe him. "Now go with Jal, he will see to all your needs." Shihab walked her back to the car and saw her seated in the front with Jal, who was driving.

"Are you sure about Miles?" She asked as he leaned in through the open window.

"He had no choice in the matter."

"Yes, I have heard that about you," she noted, tucking hair behind her ear.

He eyed her closely. "What's that supposed to mean Andrea May?"

"Nothing," she gave a knowing smile. Total control. He ruled the roost as Levi suggested. "As long as it doesn't cause any difficulties. I am happy to stay."

"And I am not. Total rest Andrea and you need to move everything to your new room. I am sure you want to do that yourself."

"Yes, I do. Thank you, Shihab." He eased back and inclined his head sharply at the driver, who drove away. Andrea pressed a button, wound up the window, and she watched Shihab standing there until he was out of sight.

Tiredly Shihab turned around, raking a hand through his hair. He hated this, hated seeing how this was twisting her up inside. At least she was safe with Jal, who was well-trained in the forces. His bodyguard, who travelled with him.

Everyone had gone back to work, also obviously upset by such things, heads down, no joking around as usual. No one dared look him in the eye. Then suddenly he was joined by another, sidling up at his side. Levi. "Hmm?"

"Need to talk to you in private, boss."

He glanced across, trying to read his expression, without giving his anger away. "Is this about Miss Andie?" After all, he was an actor and knew how to disguise body language.

"Yes, but I wasn't involved with anything that happened to Andie." 

Yet knew something. Why else would he be here?

"Where do you want to talk?"

"Come with me." Levi walked off. 

Shihab followed as they headed towards Andie's tent that she had loved at first, and then stayed away. That had hurt him, knowing she was really upset with him. All because of one, vindictive, annoying, blond. 

Soon he would see the back of her and hopefully would have Andrea permanently in his life. Today he felt they were closing that gap again.

They entered her tent, not sure if Andrea would be happy about this, entering her domain, however, it certainly was private, and she had all her belongings with her. Stepping in, he felt like he was stepping into Andrea's life. He could see why she loved being surrounded by such things. 

It reminded him of home. Not London, his real home.

Although he was surprised by the sight of another. Kathie, who Levi joined. "Go on tell him," Levi elbowed Kathie, who looked down, clutching at her arms. "It has to come from you Kathie," he pushed.

"Does this have something to do with Miss Andie's troubles?" Shihab scowled, watching her closely as she shifted uncomfortably.

"No matter what, I didn't touch her credit cards. I never would do that to anyone, I just removed her power plug."

"Why would you do that?" Shihab asked, shocked, never expecting Kathie to be capable of doing such things. "I didn't see you as a spiteful person. Do you have any idea what you put her through, and the inconvenience?" He growled deep in his throat, trying to keep his anger in check.

"She got it back, didn't she?"

"Yes, in pieces, as you well know," he stated coldly.

Her eyes widened in disbelief. "What? No!" She shook her head in denial. "I just put it in the wastepaper basket.

"Then my room," he snarled.

"No!" She denied sharply. "Never. I don't understand," she searched out Levi. "I just wanted her to go back to you."

"Back to me? How does stealing a power cord get her back to me?" None of this was making sense.

"She always goes running to you, if anything goes wrong or gets upset until the blond arrived. Then she turned to others."

He eyeballed her. That sounded like jealousy. He looked from Levi and Kathie, rubbing a thumb over his chin. He had been far from happy at the thought of Andrea spending time with Levi when she should've been with him. "

"How was that supposed to work exactly?" He asked curiously.

"She goes running to you."

"And you expect me to do what exactly?"

"You would have done anything, turned the whole place upside down to get her cord back."

"And where did you actually place it."

"Near the large hotel bins."

"So anyone could have seen you, removed the cord, yet would have to know it was Andie's," he added thoughtfully.

"What are you going to do?" She asked nervously.

"Nothing, however, don't ever pull a stunt like that again."

"No, no, of course. I'm so sorry. I had no idea someone had done that."

"Just one more thing, how did you get her cord?"

"As it happened, just by luck. She had left it outside on her balcony table."

"Luck?" His eyes narrowed. 

She squirmed uncomfortably. 

Sighing, Shihab waved them out. He needed time to think, sinking onto her sofa. He leaned back and looked around. This was supposed to be her private haven when she needed it. He had wanted to make her feel at home as much as he could. 

Shihab glanced at his watch. It still didn't answer who had chopped up her cord and framed him. That was so obvious now. Someone had been out to cause mischief.

Leaving the tent, he hunted down Miles, telling him whatever happened had nothing to do with the crew. He didn't inform him about Kathie. There was no point in that. A film had to be made. He wasn't pulling her out of the film, and he was sure neither would Andrea, however, she did have a right to know. 

He headed back to the resort.

Opening the door to her new suite, Andie's heart soared at the sight of Shihab, breathing his name. He stepped in, closing the distance, taking her face into his hands; head lowering as he kicked closed the door. Her arms went around him as he kissed her. 

His hands fell away to gather her against his body.

"I didn't expect you back so soon," she whispered against his lips. "Thank you, this place is amazing," She eased out of his arms, took his hand and led him in further. "As you see I have made myself at home."

"So I see," he noted, taking in her spread-out paper all over the table and a couple of chairs. "Have you eaten at all?"

She waved at the empty plates off to the side. "I did," she glanced back over her shoulder. "Did you?" She stepped back towards him, searching. Instead, he gathered her back into his arms.

"I did. Andrea, don't force this."

She relaxed against him. He was correct, she was trying too hard. The problem, she was so confused. Fingers embedded through her hair, massaging her scalp that tingled under his touch. "We need to talk," she stiffened slightly. "Nothing too serious. Tea?"

She nodded, still holding him, not wanting to let him go, so he edged her into the sofa and went off to see the tea, ordering for himself as well. He settled at her side, guiding her against him, enjoying the closeness, trailing fingers along her jaw, tilting her chin so he could kiss her leisurely until the refreshments arrived.

Now he had to tell her what he had learned.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

92.2K 6.8K 35
Ashley Cosgrove thought she had it all, working for her father, and dodging the prospective husbands her mother kept pushing her way. Living in the c...
16.2K 1.2K 25
What's life, nothing but a void canvas which we have to fill with numerous hues. And once in a while we come across people who will taint the void ca...
1.7M 47.5K 21
"My name is Rashiq Salim bin Fiqri Zafar, Crown Prince of Arandia and I need your help." "I'm sorry, did you say prince?" "Yes, and you, Ms. Walker...
53.1K 5K 37
Sheikh Kaden was on a mission to save his brother's wedding. Stop the one causing issues, so kidnapped her and took her back to his Middle Eastern ho...