๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ข๐˜ค๐˜ต ยป bryce harpe...

By divinely-inspired

โWe made a pact that if by 2017 we aren't engaged, married, or with somebody else, that we'd marry each other... More

the pact | prologue.
the pact | one.
the pact | two.
the pact | three.
the pact | five.
the pact | six.
the pact | seven.
the pact | eight.
the pact | nine.
the pact | ten.
the pact | epilogue.

the pact | four.

4.6K 230 93
By divinely-inspired

Bryce

I called Cass after she got off work, and it rolled to voicemail. After leaving a message for her to call me back, I went home and tried to occupy the time while I waited. With the NLDS right around the corner, there was a lot to be done—batting practice, packing for when we traveled, and whatever else you could think of. But all I could seem to focus on was the women in my life. 

What had Jayson said? Tell Cass before I made a commitment to Bella, right? So maybe the solution now was to talk to Bella, end things, and then redirect my attention to Cassandra.

Before I could talk myself out of it I was dialing Bella's number. She picked up on the third ring. "Hey, babe! I was just thinking about you. What's up?"

Thank God she couldn't see me cringe. I walked to the kitchen to grab a snack before answering. "Nothing much, Bel, what about you?"

"I've got a couple things going on right now, but I've always got time for you."

What did I ever see in this girl? She sounded like one of those antagonistic popular chicks in a poorly produced Disney movie. "I appreciate it, Bel, but I don't think I'm going to have any down time today. Preparing for the playoffs, and all. You know how it is."

She sighed. "Right, of course. Any particular reason why you called or are we just going to do small talk?"

I eased myself onto a kitchen stool and sighed, running my fingers through my hair. Better to rip the band-aid off as soon as possible. "It's about us. Or where our relationship is headed, I guess."

"Do you really wanna do this over the phone, Bryce? I mean, we could maybe see each other tomorrow something—"

"No, I'd rather do it now, Bella." I interrupted. "Listen, you're an amazing girl and there's a lot of things I like about you. But I don't feel like us dating is a good idea. I just don't think you're the right one for me."

Silence reigned on the other end of the line for so long that I thought she'd hung up on me. Which I wouldn't blame her for. "You're joking, right?"

I shook my head, though she couldn't see me. "Nah, Bel, I'm serious. I don't want to string you along. You deserve a guy who's going to be 100% committed to you, and that guy just isn't me. I'm sorry."

"Wow," Bella breathed, her voice cracking. "I thought...um, I just thought we were heading somewhere good, you know? Guess I was wrong."

I sighed, trying not to let her being emotional get to me. This was the best thing for both of us. "Yeah, I know. Again, I wish it could've been different."

Bella sniffles. "So, are you into someone else?"

"Yeah. In pretty deep." The mere thought of having a future with Cass ticked my pulse up a notch. "She's had my heart for a while, actually. It took me a while to get enough balls to do something about it."

"I see. Do I know her?"

"No." I replied, and I intended to keep it that way. There was no way I was going to let a woman I'd recently dumped know the identity of the person I dumped her for. Cass didn't deserve to be the brunt of someone else's anger. "Look, it doesn't even matter, you know? You'll be fine, I promise."

"Oh, stop with the platitudes already!" And with that she hung up. I set my phone down on the counter, glad that was finally over. Now I could focus on Cassandra, and what I was going to say to her.

I stood up to throw my trash away when a knock sounded at the door. "Coming!" I called, jogging over and looking in the peephole. Speak of the Devil. 

I hurriedly undid the latch and swung the door open. "Cass? Hey, I wasn't expecting you."

"Hey, Bryce." She tried to smile, but it faltered. It was then that I noticed her sullen expression and the tears in her eyes. "I hate to ask, but I really need a favor. Something came up with my parents back home, and I really need some money as soon as I can—"

"Cass, slow down. Slow down, baby." I took her by the hand and gently pulled her inside, shutting the door behind us. I was worried. I took off her coat and tossed it on a chair before walking over to the couch and sitting beside her. I didn't let go of her hand. "Start from the beginning, hon. What's going on with your folks?"

Cass' bottom lip trembled, and then she started to cry.  I rubbed my thumb over her knuckles, patiently waiting for her to get it all out, my concern beginning to build up. "Mom's breast cancer is back, Bryce. I'm devastated."

"What?" I felt my eyes widen in surprise. Mrs. Davis had been battling the disease for at least a year, though you'd never know it. "I thought it was in remission."

"It was," She sniffled, dabbing at her eyes with the sleeve of her sweater. "But Dad just called and said that it's back. And it doesn't look good. He recently got laid off, and they can't afford to pay the new medical costs."

"Oh, man. Cass, I am so sorry. Really." I pulled her into me and kissed her forehead. "What's the next step?"

Cass sighed. "I need to get the first flight out to Pittsburgh. And then we'll try and see if we can come up with the money. I would ask, but—"

"Are you crazy?" I pulled away from the embrace, staring at her in disbelief. "You guys are family. I'll pay whatever the amount is. Just have your dad send over the billing information."

"Really?" Her eyes shone with hope. "You'd do that?"

"Why wouldn't I?" My hand found hers, and I intertwined our fingers. "Cassandra Elise Davis. You know I love you, right? You are my best friend. I'd do anything for you, especially something like this. It isn't even a question."

With an appreciative smile, Cass leaned over and pecked my cheek. "I don't deserve someone as wonderful as you, Bryce Harper."

I wanted to say so much more, but I couldn't. Not with this turn of events. How I felt...it would have to wait. Again. "When are you leaving out?"

"Tomorrow, probably. I need to pack and get everything together, but I needed to see you first." She sighed, pursing her lips together. "I hate that I'm going to miss most of the Wild Card series."

"That's what TVs are for." I smiled gently, and then an idea hit me. "Hey, you want me to come with you?"

"What? Bryce, you can't just disappear on the team. They need you."

"I'll just tell Dusty I need a few personal days. Come on, Cass, I'll miss game one, maybe two. I want to be there for you and your parents. Plus, it's been a while since I've seen them." I looked at her earnestly, hoping she'd agree. "Do you need me to resort to the puppy eyes? Because I will."

Cass laughed, and it was one that I was grateful to see. "No need. If you really want to."

"I do." I squeezed her hand once before letting go. "Unless it's humanly impossible, I'm always going to be here for you. I promise."

She leaned on my shoulder, and I rested my cheek against her head. "I love you, guy."

"I love you more, baby."

If only she knew how much.

»»»»

AHHH this chapter was came so easily to me, and I hope you guys liked it!

Unfortunately, Bryce's confession will have to wait at least a couple of days...sigh. What are your thoughts on this chapter? Lemme know.

Omg, we're so close to 1k reads, whaaat?! Y'all are crazy, and I appreciate it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10K 182 87
This story is based off of my love for the baseball team the New York Yankees. I have been a fan since the day I was born so some of this story is go...
6.4K 138 14
"๐˜ช ๐˜ง๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ๐˜ญ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ญ๐˜ข๐˜ท๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ป๐˜ฆ ๐˜ค๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฑ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ' ๐˜ถ๐˜ฑ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ด๐˜ถ๐˜ณ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ญ ๐˜ช'๐˜ฎ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ข๐˜ฎ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ช๐˜ง ๐˜ช ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฐ ๐˜จ๐˜ช๐˜ท๐˜ฆ ๐˜ข ๐˜ฅ๐˜ข๐˜ฎ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ธ...
151K 3.2K 55
-๐€๐–๐Š๐–๐€๐‘๐ƒ โcan we still love on each other? can we still touch on each other? can we still not judge each other?โž โจsocial mediaโฉ โจjoรฃo fรฉlix x...
37K 415 20
With my dad getting a new job with the Yankees moving to New York was supposed to be all fun and games until I found myself falling for the sweete...