The Rosewood Prophecy

By 5everbooknerd

Seven teenagers. Three survivors. One prophecy. Long ago, the elites of the kingdom of Crystallea created the... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Deciphering the Prophecy
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Epilogue

Chapter 48

30 5 4
By 5everbooknerd

                                                                       Aaron

It took us two days to find a way out of the valley. We kept to the trees and the cliffs, always looking back, praying that Lord Victor's soldiers hadn't found our trail. Charles and Christina were oddly quiet and docile; I had expected them to show fear or complain of aches like normal children, but they matched our paces and never whined. Charles stuck close to Katherine, perhaps because she seemed to be a motherly figure, but Christina often chose to walk alone. Her calmness disturbed me; there was a steeliness in her eyes and a mature aura that shouldn't be there for a child who was seven years old.

After that night, when Lord Victor sent a surprise raid on the Wymonds' cottage and murdered both Matthew and Martha, I had not seen Christina cry. Unlike Charles, who sometimes cried for his grandparents at night, Christina didn't shed a single tear over her grandparents' death. Katherine told me quietly that she sometimes saw Christina rocking herself at night, her pendant in hand, but she didn't cry. It made me wonder—did she experience this situation before? If so, what terrible thing happened that could make a child remain stoic at a time of distress and grief?

I wondered, but I didn't press Christina for details. It must have been a very traumatic experience, and I didn't want her to experience more grief than she already did. But I worried for her and wanted to show support if she ever broke her shell, so I often dropped back to walk side by side with her, in silence.

Since the maps were all in Katherine's and Rachel's bags—all lost when our camp was destroyed—we had to figure out directions by looking at the sun. No one knew where Ravenstone was, so our best chance was to head towards the Northern Mountains and ask for directions along the way. Traveling by foot and with two children in tow was slow and hard. We got lost several times, and often had to set up camp at the edge of a forest. We didn't meet a single soul on our way. When we finally saw a village in the distance one afternoon, I was so happy I felt that I could sprint all the way there.

"What village is this?" I asked a young shepherd boy, who was watching over his flock of sheep in a nearby pasture, as we approached the village.

"Our village is called Summerlake, sir," the boy replied. "If you're wondering where the lake is, it dried up a long time ago, according to my grandma."

"Is there a place for us to stay for the night?" Katherine asked. The shepherd boy tilted his head and thought for a bit.

"I don't think there's an inn or anything, but you can go in and ask around. Maybe someone will let you spend the night at their house."

We thanked the boy and continued to the village. It was a medium-sized community, with perhaps fifty houses, along with a general store, a couple of restaurants, and acres of farmland surrounding it. A lot of men and boys were tending to their crops, while women and children were washing and hanging up laundry, cleaning their houses, or cooking. Some of the elderly citizens were lounging on their front porches as we arrived, and they watched us as a lazy cat would eye a mouse scurrying by.

There was a platform in the village square, perhaps for performances or celebrations. We let Charles and Christina sit down to rest while we assessed the situation.

"There doesn't seem to be an inn," Katherine said, "so I guess we'll have to ask someone. But who would let four strangers spend the night in their house?"

"I don't know," I admitted, looking around. Several people walking by had already cast curious glances towards us. Their gazes always fell to the swords we were carrying. "I've never asked someone to stay at their house. I don't know how to ask."

"Do we have money? If we offer them payment, they'll be more likely to accept us," Katherine suggested. I opened my bag and looked inside.

"We have a pouch of gold coins. One or two should be sufficient as 'rent'."

"Are you looking for someone?" Someone asked. I looked up to see a pretty young woman who appeared to be not much older than us watching us with concern. The afternoon sun glinted off her chestnut hair, making her fair skin look even more flawless. Her almond-shaped eyes were locked onto me. "You aren't from around here."

"Actually, we're looking for a place to spend the night," Katherine explained. "We're just passing by."

"Summerlake doesn't have an inn, I'm afraid," the young woman said, her brows creasing with worry. Her clear brown eyes studied me, her gaze reminding me of ripples across a pond.

Katherine cast a glance at Christina and Charles, who leaned against each other, tired from all the walking. "We really don't want to bother anyone, but the children are so worn out from travel, we can't make it to the next village. Do you know anyone who might have a spare room or two? We have some money, we can pay them."

The young woman looked at the children, and her expression softened. "Poor children. It's okay, you can spend the night at my house. I have enough space to accommodate some guests."

"Really?" I brightened. "We don't want to be a bother, so if your family already doesn't have enough space, then..."

"No, no, it's just my husband and me," the young woman explained, "and Rex is out on a business trip. There's plenty of space for you four." Seeing our surprised expressions, she added, "It's not unusual for girls my age to be married. In Summerlake, girls marry young."

"I see..." Katherine said, nodding. A look of pity flitted over her expression.

"Thank you so much!" I beamed at the girl, who smiled shyly in response. "Charles, Christina, come on, you can rest when we get to this pretty lady's house."

We followed the young woman through the village while she introduced herself. "I'm Josephine, and I work as a seamstress. What are you children's names?"

"He's Charles, and she's Christina," I pointed at the children. Josephine's gaze landed on Katherine and me. "Um..."

"I'm Reyna, and he's Zachary," Katherine answered for me. Charles looked up at me in surprise, but I nudged him, indicating that he shouldn't ask questions. Christina kept walking as if nothing had happened. "We're on our way to visit relatives in Ravenstone. Do you know how to get there?"

"No, I've never heard of the village. But my husband has lots of maps at home from his trips; you can take a look and see if you can find a route," Josephine answered as she led us to the far end of the village, stopping in front of a one-story house with neatly-kept gardens and a whitewashed porch. "Here's my house. It's not too big, but you four can all fit in the guest room."

The inside of the house was just as neat and visually appealing as the outside. A small living room was right next to the front door, while the hallway led to two rooms and a kitchen. Hand-sewn throws were on a sitting chair, while lacy dollies sat in a neat pile on a small table. A basket of sewing supplies was next to a comfy-looking couch, and a larger basket full of clothes threatening to spill over was beside it. The house was small but cozy, and just the right size for a couple.

"Here's the guest room. I'll go grab some more blankets and pillows. Why don't you rest for a while, and then I'll call you when dinner is ready." Josephine ushered us into the adjacent room and said cheerfully.

"Thank you so much for your hospitality," I said gratefully. "We'll help with setting the table and washing the dishes later."

"Oh, there's no need for that; you are guests, and I can't let my guests work. Stay here while I go get more stuff for you guys!" Josephine smiled and went to another room, probably to rummage for extra pillows and blankets.

Christina and Charles jumped onto the bed, and then collapsed on top of the blankets. Katherine busied herself with tucking the children in, telling them to take a nap and promising to wake them for dinner. I looked around the room, noting the plain white walls and dark oak furniture. There was an empty vase on top of the dresser and a small armchair in the corner. I dropped my magical satchel on top of the bedside table and was about to sit down at the foot of the bed when Josephine appeared, carrying a load of blankets and pillows.

"Oh, the children are already sleeping?" She cast a glance at Christina and Charles, snuggled up in bed. "My, they must be tired."

"Thanks again for letting us stay with you," I said gratefully, walking over to take the blankets and pillows from her. "I don't think the children like the idea of camping outside very much."

"It's my pleasure. Now, if you'll excuse me, I will go start dinner." Josephine waved goodbye and gently closed the door behind her. Katherine let out a breath of relief as she watched the children sleep.

"Thank the heavens for your handsome face," she muttered.

"What?" I thought I heard her wrong. Katherine looked up, rolling her eyes at me.

"Please, Aaron, don't tell me you didn't notice how Josephine was looking at you. How she blushed when you smiled at her, how she batted her eyes every so often, and how she judged me beside you. If it wasn't because she was smitten with your looks, she would have never offered us lodging. Are you really that clueless?"

"Kath, now is not the time to be jealous," I said tiredly. "I never thought you'd be the type to get upset when other girls talk to me."

"Do I strike you as that type?" Katherine was suddenly very defensive. Her face was flushed. "Aaron, I'm just—you know what, never mind, it's not like you'll understand. Just be careful around Josephine; she's not who she seems to be."

"What does that mean?" I demanded. "She offered us a place to stay; why are you questioning her?" But Katherine, perhaps mad at me, lied down on the bed beside Christina and turned her back to me. I sighed, sitting down on the stiff armchair, trying to stay awake but also nodding off...

Charles woke me up, pulling on my arm. "Aaron, Aaron, it's time to eat dinner."

"Don't call me Aaron for now, okay? Call me Zachary, or Zach for short." I stood up and stretched, noticing how Katherine and Christina were already gone.

"Why? Katherine also said to call her Reyna. Why are you guys changing your names?" Charles tilted his head, looking at me with a confused expression.

"Because there are bad people who are looking for us," I explained patiently. "We don't want them to find us, do we?" Charles shook his head. "Changing our names makes sure that people don't know who we are, so it's harder for the bad people to find us. So, make sure to call me Zach and Katherine Reyna, okay?"

"Okay Zach." Charles said happily. "Let's go eat."

Josephine had prepared a delicious dinner of roast beef, mashed potatoes, creamy mushroom pasta, and vegetable soup. The children ate as if they had been starving for a week, often remarking how tasty the food was. Josephine beamed and put more roast beef into their plates, while Katherine smiled softly and told them to eat their vegetables. Josephine asked us a few questions, such as where we were from, where we're going, and who we were. Katherine, still distrustful of Josephine, gave her short, curt answers. The atmosphere was quickly strained, which I tried to soften by answering Josephine in longer sentences and a nicer way. I really don't understand why girls have to act like they're enemies, especially around a guy...

After dinner, Josephine brought out some cake that she had baked, along with some ginger ale. "Whenever there are guests we bring out the good wine, but I know you guys don't drink alcoholic beverages, so we'll substitute with ginger ale." I accepted the glass of bubbly liquid and took a sip. Katherine accepted the glass, but didn't drink any, claiming that she would always feel sick after drinking such beverages. Charles reached out for the drink, but Josephine snatched it away. "No, darling, these are for grown-ups only. You'll still too young." Seeing his disappointment, she quickly added, "But I have some lemonade if you want it."

Once the drinks were emptied—save for Katherine's untouched glass—Katherine excused herself to put the children in bed, while I remained behind to help with the dishes. Josephine and I got along well, and soon we were chatting away like old friends. Even when the dishes were done, we stood around to talk. Josephine poured us a couple glasses more of the ginger ale, and I found myself telling her about my life in the Rosewood Academy. I was standing with my back against the counter, and as we talked, Josephine patted my shoulder if it was a sad part, and gripped my arm if the story got scary. Of course, I didn't tell her about the quest, but everything else I described as if my life was one great adventure.

I don't know how many glasses of that ale I downed, but it must've been a lot, because every so often Josephine would reach past me for the pitcher to pour another glass, her arm brushing against my side, or my arm. Ginger ale shouldn't be alcoholic, but I found myself swaying a little. Josephine said something about holding on to me steady me and I nodded, not comprehending what she said entirely. She started talking to me, telling me how nice I was to her, and how good-looking I was.

"Too bad I'm married to that pig Rex," she lamented, looking at me with pitiful eyes. "If I wasn't, I'd totally run away with you, Zach. I'd very much prefer to spend the rest of my life with you."

"I...um..." I blinked, trying to clear my fuzzy brain. A part of my brain screamed that something was wrong, but the other parts pointed out how pretty Josephine was, how nice she was, and how nice it felt as she was holding my hands.

"Do you want to spend your life with me, Zach? I'd do anything for you, anything." Her luscious lips were brushing against my earlobes, her breath tickling my ear. A memory flashed through my muddled brain. A sky full of twinkling stars. Lying on the grass, feeling the autumn chill. "I would do anything to be able to live the rest of my life out here...with you." Kath. Kath said that to me.

"Sorry, but..." I tried to push Josephine away, but my arms were weak, and my lips were numb. What's happening to me? Suddenly I feel so sleepy.

"Zach, sweetie, are you tired? Why don't you come with me to bed; I'll make sure you're comfy." Josephine's sweet voice drifted into my ear as her gentle hands wrapped around my waist. I could smell her perfume, its fumes intoxicating me. I felt that if I was to take a step, it would be like stepping on cotton. But Josephine...her gaze was so captivating, her cheeks so flushed, her lips so red and full...as her hands once again brushed over mine, I noted how soft her skin was...

"The only person he'll be going to bed with is me," a voice said coldly, awakening me somewhat from my dizzy state. Katherine was standing at the kitchen doorway, her eyes ablaze and her sword halfway out of its sheath. If looks could kill, Josephine would be dead a hundred times over and burnt into ashes.

Josephine stepped away from me, but her hand was still on my arm. "Oh, I'm sorry, dear, your brother and I were merely having an intimate conversation. I'll send him along to bed shortly."

"Brother?" Katherine was fuming. Her sword slid further out of its sheath, the blade shining coldly. "He's my boyfriend. So let go of him. Now."

"Boyfriend?" Josephine looked at me in surprise. I blinked back at her, my brain still foggy. "But the children..." I knew she was going to say that the children weren't ours, but Katherine's sword was out before Josephine could finish talking.

"I said, let go." Even I was intimidated by Katherine's cold glare. I had never seen her so angry. Josephine retracted her hand and backed away from Katherine.

"I'm sorry, Reyna, it's all a misunderstanding, really—"

"If I see you lay another finger on him, I won't be as nice." Katherine slammed her sword back into its sheath with a loud clang!, then pulled me to her side. I stumbled, and her arm wrapped around my waist to steady me. "Goodnight, Josephine."

The door to the guest room slammed. Katherine stood in front of me, arms crossed. I leaned against the dresser, trying not to fall over. Charles and Christina lay sleeping on one side of the bed, curled up against each other.

"Aaron, what was that all about?" Katherine asked me angrily. I shrugged.

"I dunno. Ugh, Kath, my head hurts, can I go sleep? We can talk about this in the morning."

Katherine's eyes narrowed. "No, Aaron, you cannot go sleep. Did you see what she was doing? She was seducing you and would have succeeded if I didn't intervene! And you said I was just jealous when I was wary of her. That woman cannot be trusted!"

She kept ranting, but I found myself staring at her lips. I've never taken such a close examination of Katherine, I realized. Her lips were red, just like Josephine's. My gaze traveled to her face. Katherine had pretty eyes too: stormy gray, with dark, arched eyebrows. She wasn't "gorgeous", as Josephine was, but she was beautiful. Her fiery spirit, her bright eyes, even her angry expression...Katherine was not less attractive than any girl I've met. How did I not notice this before?

"Why are you staring at me?" I felt a push on my chest. Looking down, I realized I was standing a mere two feet from Katherine, and slowly leaning in. Katherine's eyes flashed, clearly irritated. "Why are you standing so close to me?"

"You're pretty," I blurted out. "I like you eyes. And your hair. And your lips. Your lips are really red, did you know that?"

Katherine's eyes widened in surprise, but her angry expression did not soften. "Aaron, what nonsense are you sprouting? What did you drink?"

"Just the ginger ale. Josephine and I had a few more glasses while we were talking." I closed my eyes as I swayed again. Katherine's arms shot out to steady me.

"How many glasses did you drink? And ginger ale isn't even alcoholic, so how are you drunk?"

"I dunno. Probably like, eight or nine glasses? Maybe more, maybe less. My brain is really fuzzy right now, Kath." I rubbed my temples, then opened my eyes. Katherine was no longer angry, but concerned.

"Eight or nine glasses?! But even so, you shouldn't be drunk..." Her eyes looked away in thought, then snapped back to meet mine. "You've been drugged, Aaron. Josephine spiked your drink. You're lucky I didn't drink mine, because I didn't trust her. Otherwise..."

"Drugged?" Even in my muddled state, I registered the importance of the word. "Kath, I—"

I toppled forward, the drug's effects fully hitting me. My brain was emptied of whatever important thing I was going to tell Katherine. She stumbled back, her back hitting the wall as she tried to support my weight. "Aaron!"

My hands were on either side of her shoulders. Our faces were only inches apart. Katherine's face was flushed, her eyes wide, her chest heaving as her breathing increased. Wow, she is really beautiful. Dreamily, I smiled at her. "Kath, you're beautiful." And before she could say anything, I closed my eyes and leaned forward, brushing my lips against hers. She stiffened.

I pulled back after a few seconds. The last things I saw were Katherine's shocked expression and pink cheeks like cherry blossoms in spring before everything faded to black.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

39 19 19
Arianna and her best friend Skyler lived fairly sheltered lives, almost completely unaware of the rest of the land of Muria. When they return to find...
142 2 23
How does a group of teens go from goofing around in a Halloween store to saving an alternate universe? When the teens find out that they're the chose...
3.6K 1K 35
"You're dangerous, when they find out about you," She said leaning closer, "They won't show mercy!" "I don't know," Dahlia whispered, her heart p...
157 30 14
As a young girl I was sent away to an agency so they could protect me because of the dangers within my powers. My powers were so resourceful and magi...