Reach (Rin Matsuoka FanFic)

By Trashy_Kumi

"Stay away from me" Keito Mizuhara, a swimming athlete and fanatic of her school met a certain maroon haired... More

Started
Shark Boy
Cutting Classes
Change
Lost
How was my story?
Breach
Break
Problem???
Who? What?
Well...
Run
Remind
Missed
Messed up
Why I swim

Last Race

142 3 0
By Trashy_Kumi

"What? That happened?" Kent said, surprised. I told him what happened between me and Rin on our race.

Until now, me and Kent would hang on the open field. Where even Rin used to do with us. I let out a frustrated sighed, burrying my arms rested on my knees.

"Yeah, that happened. And he just left me there" I mumbled as half of my face looks at him.

"Jeez, I never knew he can be such a jerk. I want to punch him. Really" Kent said as he looks around, hoping to see the redhead around.

I patted his shoulders "You shouldn't, and I know you can't do that"

He was tensed at first, not admitting what I said but sighed at the end. Nodding his head and leaned back.

"He's probably messed up..."

"Annoyingly he is"

"Rin baka..." I added in Japanese.

You know the feeling you want to hug that person but also want to punch his face?

That's how me and Kent felt.

We never expected for Rin to drastically change like that and we missed him already. I missed him so much.

"Anyways, you have an upcoming race next week? Good luck"

I nodded as he said that "Yeah, thanks.."

"You'll go to Japan next year right?"

"Who told you that?" I raised my brow.

He shrugged and looked at me, showing me a weak smile.

"I kinda overheard what you and your coach were discussing while I was waiting for you the other day. Sorry."

"No worries... I was going to tell you anyways" I paused for a bit "And Rin too.."

He gave me this worried smile look, probably feeling my sadness as I said his name. Today is already September and we're almost ending our last middle school year after a few months, by then I'll be studying in Japan.

"I'll tell him after the race" I added

Kent nodded and looked somewhere far while I looked down at my feet.

"I'll be staying away far from you Rin..." I mumbled.

Far from you.

As time quickly goes by, it's already the day of my race. Well, also Rins. I was with the team on the waiting place somewhere on the pool.

"Everyone good luck, especially our graduating ones here" our coach said as he sets his eyes on me and Rin then to our upper graduating team mates.

"Do your best"

We all screamed "Yes!" Then did our team shout. I looked around, finding Rin already walking away from us. He was quiet the loner too, although other team mates tend to accompany him.

I turned my back at him and clenched my fists, also letting out a sighed. I heard a scream from above and it was Kent.

"Gambatte!" He shouted in weird Japanese accent. No wonder he asked me to teach Japanese.

I laughed slightly at his silly idea then waved a hand at him.

Then a voice boomed in the pool, announcing the race.

I was waiting for my name and lane to be called then I saw a familiar red head on the sides, crossing his arms as if waiting for something to happen.

I looked away, my eyes landed on the pool.

"Lane 4, Keito Mizuhara" a guide announces as I get up.

It's my turn, 50 meters free.

I nodded and go to my respective lane. From here, the pool is so wide and it scares me.

"You can do this Kei"

I nodded to myself and pile up my confidence. This is my last race here on Australia. I'll get that trophy. I'll win this.

Three whistles can be heard, meaning to prepare. I fixed my goggles and made sure they won't fall off then get ready on the diving platform. My hands tightly gripped on the sides and my feet ready to jump anytime for the signal.

"Take you Mark..."

I'll win this.

I'll definitely win this.

My last race.

A loud beep rang then I jumped as I heard it. The race started.

I swam as quickly as I could, kicking as hard as I can. My hands stretching in the water as if I was reaching for something on the clear blue.

Then Rin popped into my mind.

My breathing hitched but I was able to contain my pace as I did a tumble turn, going back from where I dived. I looked at my sides as I swam, I was ahead of them.

I mentally scolded myself.

"Get a grip Kei! Just win!"

As I near the finish line, I let out all of my strength then slapped the wall.

All I can hear was screaming.

I can hear people saying congratulations above me and I weakly smiled at them. I got up then my team mates trapped me into a big group hug. Everyone was there.

Except Rin.

Despite hearing praises and screams around me, I looked in front of me. I can see Rin looking at me. My heart skipped, making me more tired since I was already out of breath from swimming.

"Kei, that was amazing! You won first in all the strokes! All that training payed you off!"

"Kei, you'll be in Japan next school year right? Continue to swim!!"

"You're awesome Kei!"

I was pleased and happy as people start to praise me, but a part of me feels empty. Incomplete.

This was my first time winning in a race, winning in all strokes. They start to say I'm a prodigy and expected me to be an Olympic swimmer in the near future.

But that wasn't my dream.

It was Rins dream.

This sudden realization makes me want to dig myself to the ground. Maybe this is one of the reasons he doesn't want to hang with us anymore? Because I stole his dream?

Confusion, anger and sadness start to swirl on my mind as I give forced but not obvious smiles around me. I told them I'll meet up with them at the awarding and ran to Rin. Who is walking away from me.

"Rin!" I shouted.

Rin stopped, but he didn't face me.

I walked and got near to him. My hands clenched as I look at his back.

"Rin.."

"Congrats.." He mumbled, his face moving to meet mine.

Is he angry? Is he annoyed? Or maybe he'll suddenly smile and say 'HA! JOKES ON YOU! All that acting made me so tired, you missed me didn't you?'

The last one was out of my choices when I realized he started walking away from me again.

"Wait... Wait Rin!" I ran going in front of him, meeting his eyes.

I got scared for a second when I saw his sharp eyes, as if they're glaring at me. So he is mad..

I gulped but pushed back my fear, letting anger consume most of it.

"Rin, I'm going to Japan next year" I stated

His eyes hinted he was shocked but immediately came back to glaring. His frown remained as it is.

"Oh? Enjoy then. You may be the next champion in Japan" he said plaibly

I looked at him, giving him the 'are you serious?' look.

That's it?

"Fine, then I will" I sarcastically said as I walk past him. Ending our conversation.

I was mad yet I was pained.

From that day, I gave up hoping the Rin I know would return. That I would finally reach him at some point.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

213K 4.3K 21
A bundle of different genres of Free! Iwatobi Swim Club oneshots between you and the lovely male characters. ♡ -- © Hiroko Utsumi for the characters...
423K 14.4K 52
(F/N) recently moved to Iwatobi from the USA. She moved there because of her dads job but her dad started living back in America because there was mo...
357K 11.1K 47
❤[{ 1st place in the Rin Matsuoka Category - Free! Watty Awards 2015 }]❤ ❤[{ NO.1 in the Rin Matsuoka Category on Wattpad - 29th February 2019 }]❤ CO...
6.9K 257 17
❗️ D I S C O N T I N U E D ❗️ "You're her big brother?" Rin stared at them both in utter befuddlement. "You're his little sister?" "Well, yeah. I did...