Baseball Boy | B.R.

By mrs-bellinger

"How are you related to him, Cass?" Benny asked me. "I don't know, Baseball Boy, I don't know." I said to Be... More

Summer of 62
NEW EDITION On the Team
A Lesson On How To Wake a Person
Camp Out
The Legend of the Beast
Michael "Squints" Palledorous
It Was Only Me and You
A Different 4th of July
A New Beginning
Night Out
Rare Moments Like These
update
Cover Up The Evidence
It's Dangerous
It's All Good
THANK YOU
A New Book
100k
author's note

New Kid On The Block

9.1K 109 98
By mrs-bellinger

reedited 12/22/18

2nd reedit: 11/14/2020

s/o to the readers who knows what the title of this chapter means ;)

Benny's POV 

"Alright, meet same time tomorrow. See you guys!" Squints said and we all parted ways. Cassie and I were the only ones left. Cassie has been my best friend since 2nd grade. Ever since the big incident that happened with me and her cousin, she has always stuck by my side. Cassie is one of the only people I will go to with my problems besides my older sister. 

Cassie has always been there for me and I've always been there for her. There's something interesting about her that everyone notices when you first meet her. She has this dimple on her right cheek when she smiles really wide and a sparkles you can see in her eyes when talking to you. 

"Earth to Benny," Cassie called, waving her hand in front of my face. 

"Sorry, what were we talking about?" I apologized paying attention to her again.  

"I was telling you something, then I turned to you and you kinda zoned out." She chuckled. 

"What were we talking about again?" I asked. 

"Well, I'm not gonna tell you right now because you make a face when you think too much," Cassie chuckled. "What's going on in that head of yours, baseball boy?" 

 "Well for starters, I was thinking about you." I could've said. 

"I was thinking about baseball, you know...the usual," I nervously chuckled. "Baseball and more baseball." 

"Of course you were," She smiled. "Classic Benny." 

I totally wasn't thinking about you and your smile. That gorgeous, gorgeous smile. Get your priorities straight, man.

As we continued to walk and talk about baseball, we noticed a boy looking at us. When he noticed us looking back, he waved. He must be the new neighbor. I mean my mom did say we were going to have a new neighbor in the next week or so. Cassie waved and I just gave him a small nod. 

"Hey, I have to go. My grandparents are in town and we're having a family dinner," Cassie said. "See you tomorrow!" 

"Alright, see you tomorrow!" She smiled and kissed my cheek. Holy crap. Of course, we are bestfriend and very comfortable with each other. That was a 'see you tomorrow' kiss on the cheek as my bestfriend. Oh geez. 

The next day...
Cassie's POV

 My grandparents came down from Wisconsin for the week. My brother came down from college for the week too, so it was like family reunion. My grandparents always ask about Benny and tell me that we should be together. I ignore that comment because I know for a fact that he doesn't like me like that. 

Benny looked up at waved at me. He was talking to that boy who showed up at the sandlot yesterday. I felt really bad for him because the rest of the boys(expect for Benny) were laughing at him. 

"BATTER UP!" Ham exclaimed and we all got into position ready to catch the ball. Kenny pitched the ball and CRACK! Benny hit ball with that beautiful swing of his. "WATCH OUT!" Ham exclaimed. What does he mean by watch out? It was only us. I turned around to see the new neighbor. "AHHHH," He screamed and with that he tried to catch but fell afterwards. The guys began to laugh but Benny and I didn't. "It's okay, I'll get it!" He said. "Don't be a goofus, don't be a goofus, don't be a goofus," I heard him say to himself.

I looked at Benny and saw that he had a worried look on his face. I turned around to see the boy with the ball in his glove.

"We are waiting!"

"Hurry up!"

"Are you gonna throw it or not?" 

I heard various comments come from some of the boys, but I shook my head. The boy threw the ball and it went  at least a foot in front of him. Oh boy. The rest of the guys started dying of laughter. As soon as the guys started dying of laughter, the boy ran away. I felt bad for him.

 "Look what you guys did! You guys made him embarrassed!" I said. "But he-was-" Yeah-Yeah said in between laughters. 

*end of flashback

I jogged up to them and they turned around to see me.

"Oh hey Cass. This Scottie Smalls, he's new to the Valley." Benny said and Scottie looked at me.

"Nice to meet you." I softly smiled and he returned a soft smile back. 

"It's nice to meet you too, Benny, but I can't play today. My, um, glove, it is busted. See, now I can't go." He frowned a little bit, showing the glove to us. 

"No worries. I got an extra one,  Benny reached into his back pocket and threw him the extra one. "Alright let's go!"

"Ok, um, let me just tell my mom." Scottie's smile got a little bit more brighter with the new glove. "Mom, I'm gonna play some ball! I'll be back in a bit!"

———
"That was really nice of you to do that, Benny." I smiled. There are times when the rest of the boys can be jerks, but Benny is always there to keep them in place.

"Thanks, Cass. I just didn't want to see Smalls sad especially when it's summer." He said. He's right.

———

"I'm the Gweat Bambwino," Ham mumbled with his lucky pen he said when he wrote an essay for English Class. I wrote it for him. 

"What?" The boys said in confusion.

"I'm the Gweat Bambwino!" Ham said once again and the guys replying in confusion.

"He's the Great Bambino, you guys!" I exclaimed at them.

"Ohhhhhhh!" They said and I rolled my eyes.

"Idiots," I mumbled.

"Who's that?" Smalls asked which made the boys widened their eyes to hear that. I smacked my forehead with pity for the boy. Benny noticed and put a hand on my shoulder. How does he not know who the Great Bambino is? 

"What did he just say?" Ham asked in shock.

"Where you born in a born, man?" Bertram asked.

"Yeah-yeah, what planet are you from?" Yeah-Yeah asked.

"You never heard of the Sultan Of Swot?" Squints asked.

"The Titan Of Terror?" Kenny asked.

"The Colossus Of Clout?" Tommy asked.

"The Colossus Of Clout?" Repeat said or Timmy repeated.

"The King of Crash, man?" Benny asked.

"Oh yeah, the Great Bambino! I thought you said that the Great Bambi!" Smalls saved himself from further embarrassment. I was impressed to see how quick he came up with that lie. 

"That wimpy little dear?" Ham replied back.

"Uh Yeah, I guess," Smalls said. "Sorry."

"Scottie, this is Timmy and Tommy Timmons, Micheal "Squints" Palledorous, we call him Squints, Alan Maclean,  we call him, Yeah-Yeah, Bertram Gover Weeks, Kenny DeNunez, and Hamilton Porter, we call him, Ham." Benny introduced each boy as they spit on the ground.

"Um guys, this is Scottie Smalls." Benny introduced him to the rest of the boys. 

"Hi." Scotties said, but none of the boys reacted besides Squints who spit on the ground. 

"Yeah, um, well, he's gonna play with us cause he makes nine. Now we got a whole team. We're wasting time, let's go to the sandlot. 

"Its 9 in the morning, Benny," I heard one the guys complain.

'Yeah, 9 in the morning," I heard Bertram complain.

---

word count: 1054 words

continuing the scene in the next chapter.

remember to vote and comment.

have a great day!

-Cieara

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

104K 1.5K 26
Cousins feels more like home than anywhere in the world to Emilia Fisher. It is her perfect world with her mom, twin brother Conrad, little brother J...
94.6K 1.5K 16
Elizabeth's mother died just a year ago and her father Bill already found another woman to marry. Now they are moving 1000 miles away from where they...
265K 2.9K 53
.. 𝗧𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗶𝘀 𝗮 𝘀𝘂𝗿𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴.. - Baseball was his life, baseball was hers. Serena and Benny have been inseparable since they were...
51.2K 781 45
After getting married and having started a family, Benny and Mack have to now face the trials of adult life, and parenthood. Things might get a littl...